16 reasons for religion

Zenda71

Reaction score
Hi all. I found this on psychcentral.com (http://psychcentral.com/blog/). I haven't read the study yet, but it looks interesting. Here is the blurb from the blog:

New Theory Suggests People Are Attracted To Religion For 16 Reasons

People are not drawn to religion just because of a fear of death or any other single reason, according to a new comprehensive, psychological theory of religion.
There are actually 16 basic human psychological needs that motivate people to seek meaning through religion, said Steven Reiss, author of the new theory and professor of psychology and psychiatry at Ohio State University.

Reiss said that each of the 16 basic desires outlined in the book influence the psychological appeal of religious behavior. The desires are power, independence, curiosity, acceptance, order, saving, honor, idealism, social contact, family, status, vengeance, romance, eating, physical exercise, and tranquility.

The full article can be found here: http://nisonger.osu.edu/papers/reiss_2004.pdf

With metta,
Zenda

Last edited:
In otherwords - religion covers many areas of interest, inspiration, and generally deals with certain core aspects of the human experience? :)

It's interesting, but my cynical side does come out somewhat and ask - and.

That's at the study, Zenda, not at yourself - it's an interesting post nonetheless. :)

Reiss said that each of the 16 basic desires outlined in the book influence the psychological appeal of religious behavior. The desires are power, independence, curiosity, acceptance, order, saving, honor, idealism, social contact, family, status, vengeance, romance, eating, physical exercise, and tranquility.
Or how about just one, desire.

I agree Brian that it's a logical, common sense approach. But that in itself is remarkable for psychology, no? :) I find this article interesting in terms of taking a personal inventory and examining my motivations for this or that ... including my desire to lose my desire.

:D to samabudhi.

With metta,
Zenda

those 16 to me are like this;

Power.. Check
Independence... Check
Curioisty. Check.
Acceptance... Nope
Order... Perhaps.
Saving... Nope
Honor... Check
Idealism... Nope
Social contact.. Nope
Family.. uhm what?
Status.. Nope
Vengance.. Nope
Romance.. Nope
Eating??? Nope
Phyiscal fitness... Nope.
Tranquility... Perhaps.

those 16 to me are like this;

Power.. Check
Independence... Check
Curioisty. Check.
Acceptance... Nope
Order... Perhaps.
Saving... Nope
Honor... Check
Idealism... Nope
Social contact.. Nope
Family.. uhm what?
Status.. Nope
Vengance.. Nope
Romance.. Nope
Eating??? Nope
Phyiscal fitness... Nope.
Tranquility... Perhaps.

I think some of your no's are a bit harsh.
acceptance would have to be a yes, possibly a guaranteed acceptance from one group when no other will take you.
order is a definite, its just an order that isnt to everyone's liking
Idealism is another definite, again they might just be ideals you dont agree with.
social contact, similar to acceptance really
vengance, I guess there's Gods
Romance, definitely. Actually when I was at Uni I started going to a Unitarian Church just because of a cute girl who went there. On a less personal note, romance in this sense is just an extension of social contact
Eating and physical fitness seem to contradict each other though.

I think some of your no's are a bit harsh.

acceptance would have to be a yes, possibly a guaranteed acceptance from one group when no other will take you.

order is a definite, its just an order that isnt to everyone's liking

Idealism is another definite, again they might just be ideals you dont agree with.

social contact, similar to acceptance really

vengance, I guess there's Gods

Romance, definitely. Actually when I was at Uni I started going to a Unitarian Church just because of a cute girl who went there. On a less personal note, romance in this sense is just an extension of social contact

Eating and physical fitness seem to contradict each other though.

I don't see them as harsh lol...

It for you maybe is a yes... I do not need to be accepted by any group...

My religion is to my liking :)

Ideals I do not agree with? But If I am setting the rules... It would be odd for me to disagree with myself.

No seriously lol... I do not need social gatherings... :)

Your gods....

I am married lol... That is enough romance for me... and again you refer to social gatherings... I don't "do" social gatherings.

Eating I am guessing means... I come from this religion where the cow is super duper and to be looked upon with grace... But I wanna big mac.... Oooooh christanity!! maybe that is what is meant by food?

Physical fitness... I train everyday in unarmed combat, sword training and boxing.... I don't need a religion for my fitness.

It for you maybe is a yes... I do not need to be accepted by any group...
then you have personal acceptance

17th said:
My religion is to my liking :)
then order would be a "check" aswell

{quote=17th]Ideals I do not agree with? But If I am setting the rules... It would be odd for me to disagree with myself.[/quote]sounds like another check

17th said:
No seriously lol... I do not need social gatherings... :)
then your desire for social contact would be a desire to avoid it, would I be right in saying that your religion helps you toward this goal?

17th said:
I am married lol... That is enough romance for me
exactly, you're already set.

17th said:
Physical fitness... I train everyday in unarmed combat, sword training and boxing.... I don't need a religion for my fitness.
It could be argued that that training is part of your present religion.

Anyway, feel free to disregard all of this. Anything can be argued.

then you have personal acceptance

then order would be a "check" aswell

{quote=17th]Ideals I do not agree with? But If I am setting the rules... It would be odd for me to disagree with myself.
sounds like another check

then your desire for social contact would be a desire to avoid it, would I be right in saying that your religion helps you toward this goal?

exactly, you're already set.

It could be argued that that training is part of your present religion.

Anyway, feel free to disregard all of this. Anything can be argued.[/quote]

True Cav you can say I have them... but I don't use them or need them when it comes to "seeking".... That make any sense ?

I look at the 16 things and the chart and the associated text... and for me I find a lot of double speak, attempting to make something out of something, and it seems like there exists an agenda here, but can't put my finger on it.

I look at the 16 things and the chart and the associated text... and for me I find a lot of double speak, attempting to make something out of something, and it seems like there exists an agenda here, but can't put my finger on it.

Imo the agenda is: the need for spirituality/religion can be rationalised, dissected and explained as pure psychological needs.
Which I very much agree with, but I still tend to give spirituality a chance.:)
Otherwise existence can become very dreadful in my eyes.:eek:

That list sounds like a repeating formula for soap opera scripts. Maybe we like (not me personally, though) soap operas for the same reasons?

Back