A question from an "outsider"

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Junior Moderator, Intro
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Someone on another forum I belong to mentioned John 3:16 on a thread about somebody else "going to Hell" in response to me saying the G!d doesn't like being told what He thinks. Unfortunately, I don't have any access to a Christian bible to look up that particular portion.

Would/Could somebody quote the passage and explain the portion to the ever-:confused: outsider?

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Hi,

Someone on another forum I belong to mentioned John 3:16 on a thread about somebody else "going to Hell" in response to me saying the G!d doesn't like being told what He thinks. Unfortunately, I don't have any access to a Christian bible to look up that particular portion.

????I think there must be a dozen online Bibles. I don't understand.:confused:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+3:16

John 3:16 (New International Version)
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Hi,

BibleGateway.com - PassageLookup: John 3:16

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

That's it? I'm sorry about my incredulity, but what does that have to do with telling G!d what He thinks?

Anyway, I cannot access any online bible sites on my computer. :eek:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

That's it? I'm sorry about my incredulity, but what does that have to do with telling G!d what He thinks?
:confused::confused::confused:

I've decided that you can be part of the Kingdom without believing in it. People's ideas on doctrine and the meaning of Scripture for the most part have little to with anything. Which leaves us with very little to talk about !! :)

I cannot access any online bible sites on my computer.
Unusual. How did that happen?

[/indent][/indent]That's it? I'm sorry about my incredulity, but what does that have to do with telling G!d what He thinks?

Which thread was it? What were the words? It's hard to know what he/she meant without knowing the content of the post as well as the identity of the person.

For the record, this theory of God not liking being told what he thinks may itself be somewhat insulting and offensive to God, especially if this guy/girl thinks he knows God better than anyone else, or if he/she thinks his belief system/dogma are better than all other belief systems/dogma.

Oh yipee, he/she says, I know all about God! Let's thump people on the head for it.

Having said that, this post of mine may be a little ironic . . . :rolleyes:

What country do you live in? China?:eek:

I guess that would be understandable. China doesn't approve of any religious activity that is unfavourable to the Chinese Communist Party.

It's the country where censorship goes right up to the levels of Big Brother 1984.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine said:

Would/Could somebody quote the passage and explain the portion to the ever-:confused: outsider?

Phyllis, it is likely that the person is not responding to your statement but is hoping the verse will influence you on its own. It is not probably not related to your question. John 3:16 is the #1 verse used for missionary work among Baptists, Evangelicals, non-denominationals etc. In Gideon Bibles it is specially marked, repeated in appendices or even reprinted with a few other verses inside the front cover. Basically, your conversation isn't going anywhere.

Concerning the question about if I live in China: no, I don't. It's just that the sites tend to screw up my access. :eek:

Concerning the conversation my question came from: a young lady on another board I belong to was told be someone on another board that if she didn't accept G!d/Jesus into her life, she was going to Hell. Anyway, here's a link to the responders post that got me to ask my question - Behind the Name: View Message: A note from a Christian...

Sorry about the link, but I think it's easier to do that than to paraphrase all of the different responses. La Reina is the one who used that particular quote. The board is the off-topic board for a name site (the site is on the etymology of names, giving information on where certain names come from and what they mean, if known. It's not tied to the Kabbalarians (sp?).

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Concerning the question about if I live in China: no, I don't. It's just that the sites tend to screw up my access. :eek:

The China thing was supposed to be a joke. I do this on a frequent basis (twist things a little, crack weird jokes).

But anyway, how come? Why does it screw up your access? I've never heard of this problem before. Does the government of your country not approve of you visiting religious sites? Are these Bible web sites trying to convert your computer to Christianity:D?

Concerning the conversation my question came from: a young lady on another board I belong to was told be someone on another board that if she didn't accept G!d/Jesus into her life, she was going to Hell. Anyway, here's a link to the responders post that got me to ask my question - Behind the Name: View Message: A note from a Christian...

Sorry, I actually misunderstood what you said about the God-not-liking-being-told-what-he-thinks. I actually thought it was someone else saying that to you. I thus take back what I said about thumping people on the head because it doesn't apply to your situation.

Sorry about the link, but I think it's easier to do that than to paraphrase all of the different responses. La Reina is the one who used that particular quote. The board is the off-topic board for a name site (the site is on the etymology of names, giving information on where certain names come from and what they mean, if known. It's not tied to the Kabbalarians (sp?).

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Links are ok. I thought this was just a thread on another forum on this message board, but apparently, it's somewhere else.

I cannot get the link provided to work, but I will keep trying.

I am the king of a utopian society, so they don't let me do anything. Occasionally internet links don't work, and nobody will give me an explanation. I just watch cartoons. :p

jesus is salvation. those that believe in him are saved. ultimately, everyone who does not believe in him or never heard of him will be judged and the only way they will get into heaven is thru him. some will not.

Hi Phyllis —

The response from the poster you quote is typical of a Christian fundamentalist.

Why they think that depends on what denomination of Christianity they belong to, if any.

Thomas

Phyllis, hey. The link came up for me this time. Without making apologies for the abandoned children, this is indeed a fundamentalist response. When you made your statement "G!d/dess does not like being told what S/He thinks." They did not understand what you said. I have no criticism for you at all. It is just very difficult to communicate sometimes. You were speaking English, but in a different dialect from them:

• You said: "G!d/dess"
    They heard: "Hello, I am an alien from outer space."
  • You gently and with good intent said: "does not like being told what"
    They heard: "I only sound gruff because I am an alien. As I have not been enlightened by the holy spirit like you have, perhaps you should quote scripture verses at me?"
  • You said: "S/He"
    They heard: "And this is my flying saucer. Ain't she a beaut? Wouldn't you like to go for a spin?"
  • You said: "thinks"
    They also heard: "thinks"

Hi,

BibleGateway.com - PassageLookup: John 3:16

I just wanted to point out the terrible mistranslation of the word (loved ) the world. This translation has added the (ED) on love and makes this scripture read God lovED the world. As pastensed. No it the correct word is loveS the world. God never stoped loving the world. Just a single word can make a hugh difference in what the scripture says. We must read and study to make sure we understand the correct message and not some bad translation of mans mistakes.0

Darren

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I see the young lady is in fear of going to hell. Well I get trashed for this most of the time because it is not the mainstream christian belief. But No she is not going to hell. Hell is a man made doctraine to keep the masses in line.Fear is a great and terrible thing. If one understands (by doing very little reasearch one will find that the word hell is another bad translation of the word hades. The prophets of the old testament never taught of such a place and if was true would they not have taught about it(hell)? Go on line to esword and type in any scripture that has the word hell in it and it will show you every place the word hell is. then click the word and it will give you the meanning in the orginal manuscript. (from strongs dictionary) (Greek and hebrew) check it out. Most people just believe because that is what they were taught. God tell us to test the spirits, to see if they are from Him or from the devil.

Darren

Back