Sum up your religious belief

ISFP said:
wouldn't it be more spiritually responsible to not waste love? and how is love ever wasted, anyway?
It can't be.....that's the point. Love is not a limited resource. We can spread it around "like there's no tomorrow" and we can always create more. No need to practice conservation when it comes to love.... offer it to family, friend, enemy, neighbor, and stranger.

Believe those who are seeking truth. Doubt those who find it.
-Andre Gide-
The best and safest thing is to keep balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are a wise man.
-Euripides-
Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique.
-Anonymous-
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
-Voltaire-
That probably makes no sense at all, but that's me in a nutshell ;).

Namaste all,

great replies thus far!

it's interesting, to me at least, to go throught he process of trying to pare down the various teachings of the religions into how it really is for folks on a day to day basis.

A couple from Shunryu Suzuki:

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind, there are few."

"At high noon or in the dark, moonless night there is a light. Can you see it? And, by the way, who are you?"

Take care, Earl

earl said:
A couple from Shunryu Suzuki:

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind, there are few."

"At high noon or in the dark, moonless night there is a light. Can you see it? And, by the way, who are you?"

Take care, Earl
I understand the first quote this way. a cynic (expert) understands the cost of everything, but the value of nothing.

And the second quote this way. I am the light, by the way I live, others will see.

v/r

Q

I think gratitude is the highest state of grace I experience, for at times it brings me to my knees, and I start to cry, because I am so happy.

The Zen master put it best for me when he said:

Magical power,
Marvelous action!
I chop wood,
I carry water!

Peace,

Mark

Interesting topic. My belief is that we are all one, that we are all part of a greater force, such as a drop of sea water may be separate from the sea, but is still sea water, and when returned to the sea, becomes one with the sea again.:D

We start with love.

We end with love.

In the middle we practice love.

Grace permeates everything.

If we think we know something, we dont know it well enough.

Apathy is the worst type of sin possible.

Idolatry is the basic immature spiritual behavior of humans.

We end with love.

In my current level of consciousness, I believe that no matter what you call He, She, It, or Them - Everything is One that is divided. We are all trying to get back to One.

I just read my spiritual belief, and would like to expand on that, if I may. In addition to feeling we are all one, I also believe we have really missed the mark as far as our "worshipping Jesus".

I feel Jesus was an enlightened master who came to this realm to show us the way. He pointed at a way for us to be divine, to be sacred, and that we did have the answers inside of us.
Somewhere along the way, instead of looking at where Jesus was pointing with his finger (metaphorically, of course) mankind started to worship the finger.
I was once told the difference between spirituality and religion is that religion is for people who are scared of going to hell, and spirituality is for people who have been there.
In addition, spirituality is of God (or whatever you call YOUR higher power), and religion is of man (to garnish the power).
Thank you for listening, I am now going to step off my podium, and rejoin the masses!:p
Love, light and laughter,
yeah4me

I know that I sound so not original, but I really don't mind...it fits.

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

- The Dalai Lama

Err I guess I could have just signed my signature...perhaps more later.

Bright Blessings all!

Rann

Rannwind said:
I know that I sound so not original, but I really don't mind...it fits.

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

- The Dalai Lama

Err I guess I could have just signed my signature...perhaps more later.

Bright Blessings all!

Rann
Excellent Rann! I was wondering when someone was going to use that quote by His Holiness.
Welcome to CR!

Peace,
Mark

Ah, yes, here are the other parts of my favorite quotes I often use as signatures -- couldn't fit them all in the sign. file. They all mean a great deal to me.

Be well all,

Rann

Whenever I despair, I remember that the way of truth and love has always won. There may be tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they may seem invincible, but in the end, they always fail. Think of it: always.
- Mohandas K. Gandhi

Imagination is intelligence having fun.
- Albert Einstein

We are but the stuff of stars!
- Carl Sagan

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else-you are the one who gets burned.
- Buddha

"It costs so much to be a full human being that there are very few who have the enlightenment or the courage to pay the price... One has to abandon altogether the search for security, and reach out to the risk of living with both arms. One has to embrace the world like a lover. One has to accept pain as a condition of existence. One has to count doubt and darkness as the cost of knowing. One needs a will stubborn in conflict, but apt always to total acceptance of every consequence of living and dying."
- Morris L West, The Shoes of the Fisherman

Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution.
- Kahlil Gibran

Thank you Mark for the kind welcome! And so quickly too....

I do think I have found a wonderful place to devote some time. Especially now that I have a break from classes for a few weeks.

Excellent site this. (Look out the yoda speak sneaks up from time to time).

Rann

Paladin said:
Excellent Rann! I was wondering when someone was going to use that quote by His Holiness.
Welcome to CR!

Peace,
Mark

well-I am not summing up anything here. Except to thank you both. And Ghandhi.

InPeace,
InLove

Sorry--guess that was rude. I believe that God is Love. Within Love, Love helps me act. If one loves God, one is in Love. If one loves others, one is in Love.

I personally depend on and claim Jesus Christ as my Savior. I know Him and love Him and do not doubt Him.

Within Love, I extend what I can to all, and learn what I can from all.

InPeace,
InChrist,
InLove

Well, I used this quote at a different forum on the same topic so...

"Life and Jah are one in the same. Jah is the gift of existence. I am in some way eternal, I will never be duplicated. The singularity of every man and woman is Jah's gift. What we struggle to make of it is our sole gift to Jah. The process of what that struggle becomes, in time, the Truth." - Ras Berhane Selassie, Bob Marley

One Love
CanuckRasta
Lij Marques Benjamin
LIJETHIO Rep. for Canada

Back