contradiction of omnipotency

Brien said:
Is ominpotency an intrinsically contradictory term? I have heard people argue that it is by posing questions like "can god made a crossword puzzle so hard that he can't solve it." Then if you say god is not contradictory they will reply then is his limitations in crossword puzzle making or crossword puzzle solving? Can anyone come up with a good response for this question?
Very easy reply is: G-d is perfect, It has no need to (insert a paradox).

Thats actually a really hard question to answer. The only thing that would make God less powerful is if he made himself non-omnipotent(if thats a word lol). If he created a crossword puzzle that he couldnt solve at the moment, if he wanted, he could make himself smarter or more skilled at crossword puzzles. Considering that god probably is very smart, he most likely wouldnt do something so stupid. If he did then he wouldnt be considered omnipotent because being omnipotent also entails that his intellect is verry powerful as well. If that makes sense

Brien said:
Is ominpotency an intrinsically contradictory term? I have heard people argue that it is by posing questions like "can god made a crossword puzzle so hard that he can't solve it." Then if you say god is not contradictory they will reply then is his limitations in crossword puzzle making or crossword puzzle solving? Can anyone come up with a good response for this question?

I offer Godel's Theorem of Incompleteness a strict version of which states:

"For any formal theory in which basic arithmetical facts are provable, it's possible to construct an arithmetical statement which, if the theory is consistent, is true but not provable or refutable in the theory."

Put another way, you can never discover all necessary true statements in a consistent world (not that all statements are true.) Given that then approaching the limits of truth, phrased less than perfectly, I propose, end in paradoxes.

Put another way, a paradox is an inalienble right of a point of view. Take it literally. Sitting on a couch, looking at a scene of a tree in the foreground and a forest in the background - there is a sharp edge where the tree ends and the forest begins behind. The rules governing the forest don't allow for a sharp edge - let alone leaves and branches which have dependencies (trunk, etc.) But from a point of view a branch of the forest emerges from next to the tree without reference to the hidden trunk. It is and is not possible. Paradox. Change the point of view and that paradox may be fixed - but another emerges.... A non-point of view - that of light itself for example - can reconsile all points of view, but it may be rather hard to get to it (kind of like relativity - start from a point of view and no matter how fast you add permutations, you'll never get there, all points of view simulaneously, and the energy of grinding out each purmutation will weigh you down.) The solution is to give up and accept, even paradoxes, as a reasonable attempt at the truth.

eh?

Somewhere after that, two look at eachother and recall the paradox as a good inside joke!

smkolins said:
...Put another way, a paradox is an inalienble right of a point of view. Take it literally. Sitting on a couch, looking at a scene of a tree in the foreground and a forest in the background - there is a sharp edge where the tree ends and the forest begins behind. The rules governing the forest don't allow for a sharp edge - let alone leaves and branches which have dependencies (trunk, etc.) But from a point of view a branch of the forest emerges from next to the tree without reference to the hidden trunk. It is and is not possible. Paradox. Change the point of view and that paradox may be fixed - but another emerges.... A non-point of view - that of light itself for example - can reconsile all points of view, but it may be rather hard to get to it (kind of like relativity - start from a point of view and no matter how fast you add permutations, you'll never get there, all points of view simulaneously, and the energy of grinding out each purmutation will weigh you down.) The solution is to give up and accept, even paradoxes, as a reasonable attempt at the truth...
A paradox is an apparently true statement or group of statements that seems to lead to a contradiction or to a situation that defies intuition.

Intuition is a quick and ready insight seemingly independent of previous experiences and emperiical knowledge.

Where is the inalienable right of point of view? How does insight play into this? Do you presume that intuition is a given?

I am of course, playing "devil's advocate".

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
A paradox is an apparently true statement or group of statements that seems to lead to a contradiction or to a situation that defies intuition.

Intuition is a quick and ready insight seemingly independent of previous experiences and emperiical knowledge.

Where is the inalienable right of point of view? How does insight play into this? Do you presume that intuition is a given?

I am of course, playing "devil's advocate".

v/r

Q

I am saying that no point of view, no paradigm, no system as defined pratically at any point in time, is so finished that it will account for all truth. Thus Godel's theorem. To me intuition is another paradigm. Intuitionally, trueth must be felt. But not all truth is felt. Systematic logic is another paradigm. It too will encounter truths it cannot substantiate. Is there a greater paradox that something is true and is not true?

I change my mind it isnt a hard question to answer. In fact, its really easy. There is one thing God cannot do and that is contradict himself. He cant be omnipotent and not omnipotent at the same time. Thats like saying turn into a gas, now a liquid, now a solid, now all at the same time or be honest and dishonest at the same time. God is either omnipotent or not.

Back