Are all forms of Buddhism Monistic?

Does this help? :p
comic2-867.png

Are you on commission with this cartoon? :p;):D

s.

probably why the Buddha and Buddhist philosophy is wary of ontology.

s.
Indeed.
Acintita Sutta

AN 4.77 PTS: A ii 80

Acintita Sutta: Unconjecturable
translated from the Pali by
Thanissaro Bhikkhu
© 1997–2009

"There are these four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them. Which four?
"The Buddha-range of the Buddhas1 is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.
"The jhana-range of a person in jhana...2
"The [precise working out of the] results of kamma...
"Conjecture about [the origin, etc., of] the world is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.
"These are the four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them."​
Of course, madness and vexation often go along with koan contemplation. ;)

But isn't it clear that the Stones and the Beatles make different music?

Clearly. I was just trying to illustrate at the relative level there exist dualities such as good and bad.

And there either is an absolute standard of musical "goodness" or not.
Well that's your opinion :)

As I understand, in Buddhism, absolute reality transcends polarity as it is undivided.

(Btw, the Beatles are better than the Stones :p
You must be a scouser. :p

s.

Indeed.
Acintita Sutta

AN 4.77 PTS: A ii 80

Acintita Sutta: Unconjecturable
translated from the Pali by
Thanissaro Bhikkhu
© 1997–2009

"There are these four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them. Which four?
"The Buddha-range of the Buddhas1 is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.
"The jhana-range of a person in jhana...2
"The [precise working out of the] results of kamma...
"Conjecture about [the origin, etc., of] the world is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.
"These are the four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them."​
Of course, madness and vexation often go along with koan contemplation. ;)

Well this explains my mad and vexed ontological nature :p

Please forgive, for I'm a total noob when it comes to Buddhism. I've heard that some Buddhists (Zen?) use the phrase "If you see the Buddha, kill him", and that it means that you haven't realised that you are the Buddha, because all is one (monism). Is this right?

And if it is, what about things like love and hate, good and evil, are they all one and the same too?

Many thanks in advance,
Matt
Actually, Buddhism has a highly developed ethical schema referred to in Sanskrit as sila. Most schools of Buddhism encourage the adherence to such of core importance in the development of wisdom. But, they point out that these modes of operating are the innate way an enlightened person behaves. So, pre-enlightenment they are essentially standards to which the Buddhist aspires. Post-enlightenment, no "standards." Just a natural way to respond. by the way, love the Stones' Sympathy For The Devil. earl

Actually, Buddhism has a highly developed ethical schema referred to in Sanskrit as sila. Most schools of Buddhism encourage the adherence to such of core importance in the development of wisdom. But, they point out that these modes of operating are the innate way an enlightened person behaves. So, pre-enlightenment they are essentially standards to which the Buddhist aspires. Post-enlightenment, no "standards." Just a natural way to respond. by the way, love the Stones' Sympathy For The Devil. earl

Not sure I follow. The standard surely still exists independent of whether you've gotten yourself enlightened or not? Just post-enlightenment you become unaware of this standard.

[I am so out of my depth here...thank you all kindly for your patience and taking the time to answer my questions. :)]

ETA: That smiley looks like a smug cheese puff.

Not sure I follow. The standard surely still exists independent of whether you've gotten yourself enlightened or not? Just post-enlightenment you become unaware of this standard.

[I am so out of my depth here...thank you all kindly for your patience and taking the time to answer my questions. :)]

ETA: That smiley looks like a smug cheese puff.
Pre-enlightenment, you attempt to flower. Post-enlightenment, you simply flower.:) earl

What is "the good" that becomes internalized?
Actions beneficial to all beings and ourselves. Once one is enlightened, they are automatic. Sort of like learning how to ride a bike. At first one is highly conscious of all actions taken to keep one's balance. After you learn, you just ride. earl

Even when such actions become automatic, there is a very real an obvious extent to which these actions are good as opposed to bad.

Are enlightened Buddhists aware of whether non-enlightened folk are doing good or bad deeds?

Even when such actions become automatic, there is a very real an obvious extent to which these actions are good as opposed to bad.

Are enlightened Buddhists aware of whether non-enlightened folk are doing good or bad deeds?
Even quite unenlightened ones are.;) earl

Back