20th Century - The Event of Subud

Subud used to hire a room in the community school I helped with in the 1990s. They were all very nice quiet gentle people. They wanted complete silence in the building, and no interruptions. Someone told me they walked around muttering to themselves. This must have been what it looked like although I'm sure there was more to it than that.

Subud used to hire a room in the community school I helped with in the 1990s. They were all very nice quiet gentle people. They wanted complete silence in the building, and no interruptions. Someone told me they walked around muttering to themselves. This must have been what it looked like although I'm sure there was more to it than that.

Subud is "poor" and many groups don't have their own premises.

I think it is preferable to have a quite surrounding for any form of worship and Subud is no exception.

Some do walked around muttering to themselves. The closest comparison to their spiritual receiving or exercise might be the event of Pentecostal when the early Christians were touched by the Holy Spirit and some started "muttering" to themselves or talking to the Angels ...whatever. During the opening initiatiation, some in the early days would scream away at the top of their voices and if there were to be people outside the room not aware of what's happening and "how nice" spiritual purification could be and necessary, might think the most gory exorcism is happening and Satan probably got the upper hand!

The Subud latihan or exercise comes when the soul of man is again touched by the Power of God and awakens from slumber. The physical being of man slowly gets used to the new feelings and awareness from the inner and the physical aspect of the latihan corresponds to man learning everything anew as a new child "born again" of the Spirit. So members relearn how to walk, stand, talks, smile and even scream.

Best regards

Back