20th Century - The Event of Subud

OnlyGold

Reaction score

Subud (an acronym for three Sanskrit words Susila, Budhi, Dharma) is a spiritual movement founded by a Javanese Muslim Muhammad Subuh Sumohadiwidjojo (22nd June 1901 - 23rd June 1987). It is not a religion and is opened to any person above seventeen and people practicing the spiritual exercise of Subud may still practice whatever religion they choose.

When Muhammad Subuh was a young man of about 24, he had a spiritual experience. He was then working as a book-keeper with the municipal office of his hometown and was also studying book-keeping. After one of his usual study stint late at night, he took a walk around the neighbourhood and was near a construction site that was almost deserted. Suddenly there was a ball of fire high in the sky that lit the night sky and made it as bright as the day. The ball of fire slowly descended and fell onto his body and he was shaken. He quickly made his way home.

When he reached home, he quickly went to lay down in bed, probably waiting to let the experience sink in and see what it is all about. He found himself sitting up, walk to his study room where he used to preform his Muslim five prayers and perform the movement of the Subuh prayer. He felt puzzled as he "did nothing" - but was just made to get up, walk, do the movements of the prayer without his volition and finally was made to walk back and lay down in his bed. This was the beginning of a thousand nights of spiritual training and receiving during which time he was not allowed sleep in the day and was shown the mysteries about the Creations of God. Later he mentioned that the training was "direct training" from God and it is this "latihan kedjiwaan" (meaning spiritual training in Indonesian) that he was able to pass on to those who ask to receive it and it is the Power of God that arouse the spiritual exercise within each individual who is willing to receive and follow the training.

Now is the age when man (if he wish so) can worship God without the need of an intermediary or another person as an interpreter as to what God wants him to do or act. Each will receive direct guidance from the Power of God and will be able to see what is right from wrong through the clarity of an awaken soul - the sword that clearly dissects and separate truth from falsehood without compromise (but maybe not without anguish).

He was later given the meaning of what he received, that this spiritual training and knowledge is for the whole of mankind. That which was previously very difficult for man to receive, through the Grace of God, has been made easy as long as man is willing to ask and it will be given unconditionally as God has promised - the true unfolding in the present time of what was said in the New Testament "Ask and it shall be given unto thee". But one must ask.

A person who is "opened" by Muhammad Subud receives the working of the Power of God within his being. This person who is opened has then the ability to pass on the contact with the Power of God to anyone who ask to receive the contact. It is like within every man there is a lamp with the oil, but the lamp had not been burning for a long long time. Without Light, man knows not what he does and seems more like living in a daze. With the coming of Subud, the lamp of the soul of each individual has the chance, through the Grace of God, to be again lit so that man do not tread the earth astray as beast in the wilderness or even lower. In this way Subud has spread to about 70 countries in the world.

"Seek and you shall find.
Knock and the door shall be opened unto thee".

It has always been the age to connect to God without an intermediary.
One need only to seek and they shall find.
But you are correct in the idea that it has been difficult as we have been going through an age of darkness (ignorance) which has made such finding challenging.

It has only been corrupt persons who have seen advantage in and through religion to further political schemes that people have been led astray into such ridiculous notions as intermediaries and heaven and hell, and predestination, etc.

I'm over 17. Will a picture ID be required?
I think no ID should be required with most national Subud centers unless required by law. In fact, there is almost no rules in Subud. Membership to Subud requires saying "Yes, I do ..." , put a signature or thumb print on a piece of paper, go home and wait for three months. Bring yourself along after the waiting period on the appointed night to be initiated into Subud. After the initiation, say "Thank You, God ..." and go back home to sleep and say "Thank You, God that I can now sleep...". Twice a week attend the half-hourly group exercise. Do nothing in the exercise - God works!

Subud is relaxed and very free, so free that there were edits to the Subud Wiki page that Subud practices free sex. Everything in Subud is very free - except sex.

I'm over 17. Will a picture ID be required?
I think no ID should be required with most national Subud centers unless required by law. In fact, there is almost no rules in Subud. Membership to Subud requires saying "Yes, I do ..." , put a signature or thumb print on a piece of paper, go home and wait for three months, bring yourself along after the waiting period on the appointed night to be initiated into Subud. After the initiation go back home to sleep. Twice a week attend the half-hourly group exercise. Do nothing in the exercise - God works!

Interesting - how much does it cost to join Subud, or is it just a "voluntary" tithe to pay afterwards?

It has always been the age to connect to God without an intermediary.
One need only to seek and they shall find.
But you are correct in the idea that it has been difficult as we have been going through an age of darkness (ignorance) which has made such finding challenging.

It has only been corrupt persons who have seen advantage in and through religion to further political schemes that people have been led astray into such ridiculous notions as intermediaries and heaven and hell, and predestination, etc.
I do understand your concern about corruption and how human falls away from the highest principles. I don't think I have any answer except to repeat what have already been said - that man is weak.

Religion developed in the past and "intermediaries" were necessary as people had to pass on what was taught. It was never a perfect system and easily abused through "something that resides within the breast of man". It was still workable for some time in the past. We can analyze it mathematically this way. Man (the intermediary) in general still had a high degree of integrity, say 95%. Add to it some random errors and the teaching had a 90% of being accurately passed down - maybe still acceptable. But compound this through time and things got confused which results in many different sects within each religion.

What if now the integrity starts at 85% and not 95%? So man in the present age may have a hard time trying to separate the grain from the chaffs. No wonder many gave up on God because of man!

Interesting - how much does it cost to join Subud, or is it just a "voluntary" tithe to pay afterwards?

There is no fee to join Subud. Members contribute according to his means the necessary fund for keeping the organization going - like rentals for the exercise premise, etc. I think no budget for "staff" salaries.

There is no fee to join Subud. Members contribute according to his means the necessary fund for keeping the organization going - like rentals for the exercise premise, etc. I think no budget for "staff" salaries.

Seems a big vague, so it would help to explain a little better the financial commitment one would be taking on by joining the Subud movement.

Seems a big vague, so it would help to explain a little better the financial commitment one would be taking on by joining the Subud movement.
Many countries have nationally registered Subud centers affiliated to the World Subud Association that convenes every four years. The finances of Subud is almost all through voluntary contributions of members. Because of this, finance is alway a problem in Subud. Subud is poor.

Very likely, inquirers about Subud would ask about money when they meet with the helpers (God's sales representatives - Subud Department). The main expenses would most likely be rental for premises to gather twice weekly for the exercises. Somehow, for the past 50 years, most major centers could still carry on without closing - Praise be to God.

Sweet... Is this a new religion? How original! :D Does this one work?
Don't bet on anything. Who would bet that the strongest international banks could go bust (before they were busted).

You join Subud betting that it does not work. What if it works! When you decided to retreat, the Angels had finished their operations on your soul. You had better ready an exit strategy just in case this time round things work!

I looked at the Subud centers on the east coast....in my area they are meeting in Presbytarian churches...
I personally think this is not a good arrangement.

The World Subud Association's Constitution is explicit that Subud is not a religion (and does not partake in politics). The defining activity of Subud is the half-hourly "latihan kedjiwaan" (Indonesian for spiritual exercise). If it is held in any premise which is a place of worship of a particular religion, it will pose difficulties.

The links in the international Subud organization are rather loose and relaxed and it is possible some local groups have not given their actions sufficient thought.

Oh dear..... who do you have to pay for it?
Eh... I think...it is like this...Eh... This involves deep philosophical issues ... like... Adam of Eden was unaware of ... how do I put it...nakedness... then the fruit was the problem, not sex. Of course ... philosophically...Eh... "it" must be free as we are born without clothes and money...Eh money came very late in man's consciousness and it should not get entangled with sex...Eh...Eh

Does anyone know about a Subud applicant meeting near Germantown Md?

Subud (an acronym for three Sanskrit words Susila, Budhi, Dharma) is a spiritual movement founded by a Javanese Muslim Muhammad Subuh Sumohadiwidjojo (22nd June 1901 - 23rd June 1987).
Did the founder has his own definitions for Susila, Buddhi and Dharma or are the meaning the same as that used by Hindus or even Buddhists?

Does anyone know about a Subud applicant meeting near Germantown Md?

Goggle for wiki subud. There are official sites with directories, links to all international centres.

If you just google "subud" alone, you have enough links to go for a week.

Best Regards

Did the founder has his own definitions for Susila, Buddhi and Dharma or are the meaning the same as that used by Hindus or even Buddhists?

I am a Subud member and have read many of the translated talks given by Muhammad Subuh. He was a Javanese Indonesian Muslim and I think he interprets everything in a manner that could be considered strange by outsiders.

My vague memory of the Subud interpretation is:
Susila - ... I can't remember
Budhi - the force of the inner self of man free of baser desires.
Dharma - the good life according to ... the Will of the Creator for man

Muhammad Subuh "receives" "original" knowledge or wisdom from the "Creator" as what many Subud members could have said. But no one can confirm or deny it. It is like many would say they believe in God. But then how can man believe in God or know the God to believe. All our "believes" are what have been communicated to us from others or from books as we grow up. They are knowledge of Man and of the Mind.

Best Regards

Back