Ok, relax, I'm here now...

merry christmas to you and your family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So nice after years of conversing with you and Q to have memories of your wedding, of the reception at the river, and also meeting your friends and Dream and Juan... Watching your face as you opened our buddies painting.... as well as the folks in attendance in wonderment as to the power of our collective 'net connection....

Yes...Merry Christmas to all.... no exceptions.

I was asked by a coworker to write a letter from Santa to her daughter....this was my reply....

Sent: Monday, December 013, 2010 9:54 AM
To: Megan Edgar
Subject: Letter received.

Megan,

We are forwarding this to your email as we believe the letter we received from Jessica was from your daughter. Can you please give this to her.

Elf letter department, north pole.

Fwd: From: Santa Claus
Sent: Monday, December 013, 2010 2:36 AM
To: Jessica
Subject: Letter received.

Jessica,

I really appreciate your taking the time to write. We love letters and knowing what children are doing in their lives.

It looks like you want some nice presents, and it looks like you are willing to clean your room in trade.

Can I tell you something? Christmas is really more of a reminder than an event. Some think of Christmas as Santa Claus bringing gifts, but my job is really to represent the gift giving, the help your friend, family and neighbor idea in all of us. You may know that Idea from the words of Jesus. Christmas not only represents his birth, but the birth of that idea, the idea of loving your neighbor, of taking care of family and friends, of helping others who don’t have as much, and of doing what is right….yes Christmas and I represent the birth of the idea of doing what is right, a reminder that we should be doing that all year long.

While there is nothing that makes Santa happier than the smile of child opening a present on Christmas morning; what makes Santa smile all year long is children doing what is right all year long. And you are right, keeping your room clean is part of that, helping out around the house is part of that, smiling and doing what your parents ask (even when you don’t want to) is part of that. All those things make Santa happy.

So while I expect you to honor your promise of cleaning your room, I want you to think about how else you can make Santa smile. And while I know you are going to get many of the gifts you want I want to ask you another question.

Can you make a list of the gifts you’ve already gotten all year long? Do you know that many kids in our world do not have a bed to sleep on or food to eat every day? Are you thankful for those gifts you’ve got? Do you know many children do not have a school to go to to learn new things every day? Do you know that there are many kids who in recent hurricanes and earthquakes have lost their parents, brothers and sisters, grandparents and friends….how many of those do you have to be thankful for?

So in the Christmas season, I always want kids to think of all the presents they’ve got (every day, every year) and all the presents they give, by smiling, by loving, by helping out, and by being a good friend to others.

I know you are a good little girl. I know you try, but I also know you know you could try harder. So if you have time (after you clean your room today), make a list of all those gifts that people (Your mom, your dad, your grandparents, your brother, your aunts and uncles, friends) and whatever you give them for Christmas, also give that list of presents (of things you are thankful for) to them. And you’ll get to smile like Santa does when he gives gifts.

Wil, that was lovely, and I'm honored you shared it on my intro ;)

Back