This is what I call Interfaith

My favourite interfaith moment is in the audio recording of the Dalai Lama addressing the Dominican Conference at Blackfriars.

He opens by thanking the previous speakers for enlightening him with regard to Christianity, then says, "Now, to Buddhism ... " stops, and then says "I can't think of anything to say!" and burst out laughing.

After a difficult week, he counts himself among kindred spirits, a monk among brother monks, a man following the same disciplines, but known by different names, but the same in principle — the quest for understanding, and the call to infinite love and compassion.

He even highlights a principle difference between our traditions, reincarnation, and asserts that the Christian idea of one life, created by God and called to be with Him, is a very profound and most powerful idea.

He also adverts that a Muslim friend told him that the Muslim, if he or she truly loves Allah, is obliged to love all creation ...

God bless,

Thomas

I don't know of any satanic churches in my neighborhood...how many do you have in yours?

none that i know of but that does not mean that they are not there, i live in a small sleepy place but such churches are more prominent in big cities.

I do welcome pagan and wiccan, does that satisfy your needs?

its not a need that needs to be satisfied, I'm just wondering how far people will go in terms of interfaith activity. as far as I know pagan and wiccan is not the same as satanism.

so is that a no to including satanic churches in interfaith ?

If the Church of Satan is really just a rebellion against mainstream Christianity, I would not be so cynical about it.:) As long as there are judgmental, legalistic and dogmatic people in churches, this justifies their existence.

If they're just a bunch of rebels (with a sense of decency), that's ok. If they're a bunch of perverts (with gross absorption in the weird and arcane, making fun of common decency and morality), not ok.

Another way to put it is if they love God and humanity (and are simply angry at mainstream Christianity for being arrogant and hypocritical) or want to make fun of God and humanity. Jokes are ok, but not spaghetti mixed in vomit.

As long as there are judgmental, legalistic and dogmatic people in churches, this justifies their existence.

you will find that all over, in and out of church

If they're a bunch of perverts (with gross absorption in the weird and arcane, making fun of common decency and morality), not ok.

surely thats all very subjective ?

Another way to put it is if they love God and humanity (and are simply angry at mainstream Christianity for being arrogant and hypocritical) or want to make fun of God and humanity. Jokes are ok, but not spaghetti mixed in vomit.

so if they measure to your standards thats ok ?

i understand i suppose we all have different ideas about whats ok.

Watch out! MuslimWoman might turn up with niqab, abaya and all. Given the response of some people here, quite a few of you won't be too happy!
Like I've said, that wouldn't bother me... Living in the DC area we get tourists from all over, and occasionally you'll see a full black burqa, but plenty of times viels are used...not often solo women...usually it is women in a group or a couple.

I'll have to track that down ... I've downloaded nearly everything off the Coptic Church website to augment my own theology library.

Here we go Thomas, hope you can find someone to traqnslate the Arabic for you (unless you speak Arabic?).

Watch out! MuslimWoman might turn up with niqab, abaya and all. Given the response of some people here, quite a few of you won't be too happy!

I wouldn't travel without my husband but I have no doubt in my mind we would be most welcome and made to feel at home in Wil's house no matter how I choose to dress ;)

Reuters) - A Utah church is giving away free copies of the Koran in an Easter season ecumenical riposte to the recent burning of the Islamic holy book by a controversial Florida pastor. The Wasatch Presbyterian Church has ordered 50 copies of the Koran to be distributed at a local bookstore starting on Monday.
"We're not promoting Islam, we're not saying the Koran is the Bible," said Scott Dalgarno, the church's pastor. "We're just saying that if people are curious, if they want their consciences informed on this issue ... then let them pick up a copy on us and read it and decide for themselves what to think."
Dalgarno says each Koran, which the world's nearly 1.6 billion Muslims believe is God's final testament, will have a bookmark insert that reads: "This book was donated by the leaders of Wasatch Presbyterian Church who are not afraid of truth wherever it can be found."
He said the giveaway was a response to Terry Jones, the leader of a fringe, fundamentalist church in Gainesville, Florida.
In a move that prompted riots in Afghanistan, Jones' tiny church in northern Florida burned a Koran last month following a mock "trial" of the text.
"When we found out that Terry Jones had actually carried through on this and 20-plus people had died as a result we thought we can't stay silent here," said Dalgarno.
Jones was in court on Friday in Dearborn, Michigan -- home of one of the largest Muslim communities in the United States -- where he wants to hold a demonstration outside the Islamic Center of America, the largest mosque in the country.
Dalgarno says he has received some negative feedback since word of the Koran giveaway was announced but that he would do the same thing for other faiths.
"If someone in Salt Lake burned a copy of the Book of Mormon, we'd probably do the same thing," he said. "We'd buy copies of the Book of Mormon and say read it and inform your conscience."

Utah church offers free Korans in Easter gesture | Defend the Prophet

I wouldn't travel without my husband but I have no doubt in my mind we would be most welcome and made to feel at home in Wil's house no matter how I choose to dress ;)
You are so correct...

I would be honored.... I'd be taking my head covered face vieled friend and her hubby to meet my preacher and our congregation and to my favorite synagogue as well....if they'd go...

but we would have some social issues... As we are huggerz!

but we would have some social issues... As we are huggerz!

Must admit it's been one of the harder aspects of my conversion ... not hugging. I'm a born hugger, so it's something I really miss :eek:

Must admit it's been one of the harder aspects of my conversion ... not hugging. I'm a born hugger, so it's something I really miss :eek:

You are obviously a good person and a noble woman. You adapt your religion appropriately.

I oppose the French for passing laws prohibiting women from wearing religious garments. That is contrary to the spirit of the French Constitution.

I might favour banning the wearing of a Cowboy Hat by French Women.:)

Amergin

Well big virtual hug, if that is halal. In my nondenomination we are all huggers...for me, of all the things I had to give upto be a Unitic, I miss blame the most.

You are obviously a good person and a noble woman. You adapt your religion appropriately.

There has been one major blessing ... I've finally learned to appreciate women. Having always worked in male dominated atmospheres I rarely got to know any women and when I did it was on a very basic level. I now understand sisterhood and how utterly special women are. ;)

for me, of all the things I had to give upto be a Unitic, I miss blame the most.

You can blame me anytime, everyone else does lol

I oppose the French for passing laws prohibiting women from wearing religious garments. That is contrary to the spirit of the French Constitution.

I might favour banning the wearing of a Cowboy Hat by French Women.:)

Amergin

I personally do not have a problem with anything anyone wants to wear as long as your not trying to make everyone wear the same thing. I am curious what about some beautiful colors to the garb. Women love pretty colors dressing in all black all the time seems kinda drab to me.

A couple of stories I thought noteworthy ... it may be a drop in the ocean but from small acorns .... !!:

"In an attempt to improve relations between the peoples of Palestine and Israel, members of Canada's Muslim, Jewish and Christian communities have joined hands to host an inter-faith tour to different holy sites in Jerusalem this September.

The one-week trip to entiled "In the Path of Abraham: A Jewish, Muslim, Christian Experience in the Holy Land" has been scheduled for 4-10 September 2011.

According to organizers, during the inter-faith tour, some 99 people - 33 members each from Jews, Muslims and Christians communities - "will experience the holy land from each others' perspectives with honesty and dignity."

Canadian Muslims, Jews & Christians Plan 100-Strong Interfaith Tour of Jerusalem | IslamToday - English

Wish I was going :cool:

Jewish, Christian and Buddhist leaders in France have joined their Muslim counterparts to demand that President Nicholas Sarkozy should call off a contentious debate on Islam planned for next week.

A joint declaration was put forward by France's chief rabbi Gilles Bernheim, the heads of the Roman Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox churches of France, the president of the Conseil Français du Culte Musulman, Mohammed Moussaoui, and the head of the Buddhists' union of France, Olivier Wang-Genh.

The declaration, written by the Conférence des responsables de culte en France said that, while debate was usually a healthy sign, it questioned the wisdom of the governing UMP discussing it solely among their ranks. The statements said the debate could add "to the confusion in the troubled period we are traversing."

French Jews, Christians & Buddhists Appeal to Sarkozy to Cancel National Islam Debates | Defend the Prophet

Okay, Muslimwoman, I do agree with you that this is really a beautiful example of Interfaith. But I have a question for you. When you say, "To improve relations between the peoples of Palestine and Israel..." Would you please tell me what you mean by Palestine? What is Palestine in that area of the Half Crescent? What do you call Palestine in the Meddle East?
Ben

Back