Rabbis order woman to jail for refusing to divorce

Nick the Pilot

Reaction score
Rabbis order woman to jail - Religious News ArcaMax Publishing

JERUSALEM (UPI) -- The Jerusalem Rabbinical Court ordered to jail a 59-year-old woman for refusing for 15 years to divorce her husband.

In an interview with Haaretz the woman said: "I won't take the get (religious separation) under any circumstances -- even if they take me to jail … I'm made of steel, you can't break me."

The woman refuses to divorce her husband because of an ongoing property dispute, the newspaper said.

The court ordered her confinement after a series of sanctions failed to secure her agreement.

The sanctions included barring her from leaving the country, restricting her bank account and suspending her driver's license, the newspaper said.

According to Jewish law the power to divorce rests with the husband; however, a man cannot force his wife to agree to a divorce. For a divorce to be valid, the woman must accept it.

Does the court have actual secular authority in Israel??

Does the court have actual secular authority in Israel??
You can't get a secular marriage in Israel, only a religious one. If you want a secular marriage, you have to go out of the country. Israel recognizes foreign marriages.

this is not true, i dont know where did you hear that. according to the jews, women have no say about divorce, it is the husband who need to say yes or no, women cant stop the divorce process if the man wants to divorce

er, yes she can. it's not easy, but she can refuse the get as has been done in this case, although i note that the workaround "letter signed by 100 rabbis" is available to the man - the woman, on the other hand, gets saddled with being an agunah if her husband refuses the get.

b'shalom

bananabrain

this is not true, i dont know where did you hear that. according to the jews, women have no say about divorce, it is the husband who need to say yes or no, women cant stop the divorce process if the man wants to divorce

Yes Dabah, it is true. When I read this thread, I made some research here and I found out that either one, the husband or the wife can deny a get, and the process cannot proceed. I consider it a cruelty by either one, the husband or the wife. Life can get ugly sometimes when reconcilliation becomes impossible to achieve.
Ben

Back