Pagan beliefs in Abrahamic faith...

Mus Zibii

QUID EST VERITAS
Reaction score
I was going to start a thread discussing Animism in Islam, but the root question is: how much validity can any of the Abrahamic religions have if they've clearly borrowed from Pagan (a derogatory state of being in their belief) traditions?

Sure, they can provide moral centers, etc, but they all claim to be divinely inspired. The Koran especially demands than no one question its resemblance to previous religions, or Mahomet's unique prophethood - indicating that there was critical chatter prior to the composition.

The majority of myths in Judaism are concerned with distinguishing the Hebrew faith from that of its neighbors.

Justin Martyr said Satan was responsible for Jesus' parallel to the Greek godmen.

Is it time the three faiths admit to their influence - both between themselves and to outside factors - or... what?

Some comments:

Thanks Zibii for an interesting topic...

Mus Zibii wrote:

"I was going to start a thread discussing Animism in Islam, but the root question is: how much validity can any of the Abrahamic religions have if they've clearly borrowed from Pagan (a derogatory state of being in their belief) traditions?"

My reply:

While you will see some similar stories say in the Bible such as the Great Flood and compare it to the Epic of Gilgamesh, it could mean there was a common heritage of these stories among the peoples of that area and not a simple case of "borrowing". Moreover, if you compare both legends there is a different perspective in the Bible version of the story.

Zibii:

Sure, they can provide moral centers, etc, but they all claim to be divinely inspired. The Koran especially demands than no one question its resemblance to previous religions, or Mahomet's unique prophethood - indicating that there was critical chatter prior to the composition.

Reply:

Actually Qur'an recognized previous Prophets and their revelations in a continuous line. See Surih 3:33-34 and 4:163-164. So this is also found in the Bible where the previous revelations from God are accepted and build upon or fulfilled. The Qur'an says there were many Messengers.

Zibii:

The majority of myths in Judaism are concerned with distinguishing the Hebrew faith from that of its neighbors. Justin Martyr said Satan was responsible for Jesus' parallel to the Greek godmen. Is it time the three faiths admit to their influence - both between themselves and to outside factors - or... what?

Reply:

There were indeed parallels to Christ in the ancient pagan religions and probably these prepared the pagans to accept Christ. Moreover the early church capitalized on this fact in it's efforts to evangelize the pagans.

With the borrowing and cross borrowing undoubtedly the church rites and the pagan rites probably had fuzzy boundaries between them.

So in time the original message of the Gospel was sublimated and overlooked perhaps and a new Revelation of God was needed to correct the earlier one as it was being encrusted with dogmas and superstitions, hence the Qur'an was revealed through Prophet Muhammad.

Baha'is believe there has been a continuous process we call Progressive Revelation from the earliest times to the present day.

- Art :cool:

Mus Zibii said:
I was going to start a thread discussing Animism in Islam, but the root question is: how much validity can any of the Abrahamic religions have if they've clearly borrowed from Pagan (a derogatory state of being in their belief) traditions?

The majority of myths in Judaism are concerned with distinguishing the Hebrew faith from that of its neighbors.

Justin Martyr said Satan was responsible for Jesus' parallel to the Greek godmen.

Is it time the three faiths admit to their influence - both between themselves and to outside factors - or... what?
Good thread start.

Monotheism did not originate with Christianity, Judaism, or Islam (you said Abramic faiths). It originated with the Egyptians (as far as Abramic faiths are concerned). And Egyptian religion would be considered Pagan, would you not agree? Of course not. It depends on one's point of view. But the fact is, the old Egyptian religion is gone, and Abramic faiths are here now, therefore Egyptian religion is pagan, and therefore Abramic faiths began in pagan pasts, but have gone "beyond" paganism...

Every religion claims to be divinely inspired, and has been shot down in time. That is because when the religion of the times fails to live up to its promise to save man, man becomes inspired to find a better way.

Islam is the new kid on the block. Christianity is the mediator (middle child), and Judaism is the eldest sibling. Do you see any resemblences to "family roles"? All screaming, "PAPA LOVES ME BEST", they (we), kill eachother under the guise of divine inspiration. Yet, yet we still use the same "pagan" forms of retribution, compliance, and enforced loyalty. We still fight over tribal god images (very pagan).

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going shopping with my wife, for Halloween, Christmas and Easter stuff, at the local wholesale store. After all, we got to look religious when the season starts...

Back