Peaches, The Da Vinci Code, and The Sacred Feminine

okieinexile

Reaction score
Peaches, The Da Vinci Code, and The Sacred Feminine
By Bobby Neal Winters

The peaches on the tree in our front yard are getting ripe at last. They are native peaches with a thick peal that lend a redness to the fruit that gradually gives way white. They are smaller than the peaches from California we buy at the store, but the flavor is deeper. It's sweet and earthy, but there are subtle tones to it. There is also the occasional worm that must taste just like the peach. Don't ask me how I know.

The California peaches are ok for early in the year, before anything closer to home is ripe, but as the season wears on the peaches from closer to home start arriving, and they have more flavor since they don't have to travel as far. When August finally arrives, there is nothing better than the peaches in our own front yard. If we were forced to eat any of those early California peaches now, we'd think we were eating cardboard. They just aren't the same.

Contrasts like this exists other places as well. For instance, the first time I tried to read The Da Vinci Code was right after I'd read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Those of you who've read Sebold's novel about the murder of a 14-year-old girl know that Sebold writes in beautiful prose that verges on the poetic. Her phrases slide into the eye and whirl around in the mind with the ease of a cool breeze. I did not find that to be the case with The Da Vinci Code on my first attempt. Indeed, I was forced to stop after just a few chapters.

However, August is now here, and I've been reading nothing but contracts and mathematics textbooks for a couple of months. Consequently, I find Dan Brown's novel transformed. It is not only readable, but the pages turn themselves. Dan Brown constructed this book like a Russian doll maker constructs a Matrioshka. One mystery contains another, and that mystery contains yet another. I can understand why it became a bestseller.

That having been said, I will now say some things that aren't quite so complementary. While reading this book, I kept thinking of Isaac Asimov's juvenile series Lucky Starr that contained such classics as Lucky Starr and the Oceans of Venus and Lucky Starr and the Big Sun of Mercury. Asimov did a lot of teaching in those books, and there were sentences like, "Lucky came into the orbit of Mercury, the closest planet to the sun." A lot of the old science fiction books were like that, teaching and entertaining at the same time. Reading a book like that and separating the science from the fiction was a useful art form and got me through most of my high school science classes without cracking a textbook.

Dan Brown does a lot of teaching, but sometimes it difficult to separate the fiction from the fact. However, it is not my purpose to go through the book and show where some items he presents as facts are debatable. There are whole books that have been written on that. In any case, my attention was caught by something else.

In the world of The Da Vinci Code, there are repeated references to the Church (meaning the early church or the Roman Catholic Church, depending upon the context) having conspired to eliminate the "sacred feminine," and this confused me. I grew up as a Southern Baptist and remember having heard more than one sermon in which I was told the Catholics worshipped the Virgin Mary. Now I am being told they have conspired to eliminate the sacred feminine.

Even as a life-long protestant, when I put these together, the question I have to ask is, "Ok, which is it?"

Actually, I am being more than a bit disingenuous here. Having read the book, I do have some idea of what the author means when he says, "The Sacred Feminine," and it has nothing to do with the qualities exemplified by the Virgin Mary. He is talking about goddess worship. In particular, in the novel he refers to worship in which the rites include ritualized sexual intercourse. (That puts a whole new spin on the choir doing a special, doesn't it?)

There might be other views of the sacred feminine, and one might even debate whether there is any real difference between the masculine and the feminine, anyway, but these two certainly offer a broad contrast. On one hand, there is the Virgin Mary who watched while her son was crucified and exemplifies obedience, and on the other hand, there is the Goddess as represented by a temple prostitute and is supposed to represent empowered femininity. One might argue that this dichotomy is too much like that of the Madonna and the Whore, and one would be right.

However, while admitting that the flower of the feminine admits more sacredness than can be seen at glance, I defend the first over the second, but perhaps it's just because my brain has been washed by the conspiracy. Is that anything like being washed in the blood of the lamb?

I find myself overwhelmed by this subject. The only point of view I have is that of a mortal man, and the only experience my own. In the spring of life we are attracted the California peach. They have a thin, unblemished skin and seem sweet enough, but as we enter the summer of life, we discover the joy of the native peaches as they ripen. While they bear the marks of the occasional worm and their skins are thick, they are pure white inside, and their flavor is unbelievable.

(Bobby Winters is a professor of mathematics, a writer, and a speaker. He can be contacted at bobby@okieinexile.com.)

On one hand, there is the Virgin Mary who watched while her son was crucified and exemplifies obedience, and on the other hand, there is the Goddess as represented by a temple prostitute and is supposed to represent empowered femininity.
I really like that - it reflects so much how the supposed liberation of women in Western civilisation has turned them into overtly sexual toys.

It's almost as if the pill didn't primarily free women from sexual consequence, as much as men themselves.

I said:
I really like that - it reflects so much how the supposed liberation of women in Western civilisation has turned them into overtly sexual toys.

It's almost as if the pill didn't primarily free women from sexual consequence, as much as men themselves.

Though, it should be said that "prostitute" is not necessarily accurate for the role of priestesses in those cultures. It's weighted in our culture with some very tawdry associations. Their roles would perhaps be more accurately assessed as intermediaries for a Goddess who was fully possessed of her sexuality and sensuality, as well as being healers in a sexual and social sense.

What is happening and has happened in modern Western society is an entirely different creature than what appears to have been intended in those ancient cultures. Many modern forms of Paganism embrace the model of sacred sexuality as healing and empowerment for both men and women -- and a good deal of it goes on within women-oriented and even separatist communities as well, so it can't all be said to be a tool to make women into sexual toys for men.

There are spiritual paths within which many expressions of sexuality and forms of relationships are accepted and validated. In most monotheist religions, it's true that things like homosexuality are rejected in the modern world. Not all religions reject this expression of sexuality, though, and some celebrate it as a way for a person to be closer to understanding the other gender. In some cultures and religions, bisexuals, transgendered folks, and homosexuals/lesbians (all modern labels, by the way) are seen as having a capacity for a closer relationship with the spirit world. Not to say that all non-hetero folk *are* in any way inherently more spiritual, but that the capacity for a greater understanding may exist because they transcend the ordinary boundaries of everyday society.

This is the sort of social matrix within which "sacred prostitution" is more than putting sex into rituals. It can be, and sometimes is, a very healthy expression of spirituality once people begin to break away from the confines of spiritual paths and practices that deny their essential nature. I will not deny that such things can damage a person unprepared for it, but so then can the consumption of alcohol, unprepared heterosexual encounters, and blind obedience to social mores for the sake of appearances rather than a genuine feeling of rightness on the part of individual followers.

Sacred sexuality is always going to be a complicated topic, and will likely engender a lot of heat from people on all sides of the issue. Knowing the ways of Goddess worship as I do with 20 years or so of exposure, I can certainly assure you that there are more differences between Goddess worship and monotheistic God worship than a beard vs. a skirt. ;)

You might want to take a look at http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/joseph_mccabe/religious_controversy/chapter_08.html -- a lot of the misconceptions arrived at in the whole "temple prostitute" concept originate with Herodotus, who lived centuries after any such practices would have ceased, and was from an entirely different culture.

I spoke to a friend who is an anthropologist, and she gave me quite the rundown on the inaccuracies of the description of temple prostitution and gave me the link to this site. I was operating under as much of a misconception in this regard as most people, having read only the modern literature on the subject, and not researching the ancient Babylonian texts themselves.

In any case, there are *modern* proponents of sacred sexuality, modern worshippers of Goddesses, who are not given a choice between the trap of monogamous marriage or the trap of abortion -- but who lead full and happy lives with sexuality being sacralized in their lives. There are many alternatives to childbearing and abortion. I'm 43, and though I have been married three times (none of them particularly empowering experiences), and have participated in rites of sexual nature, I have never had either a child or an abortion.

As to whether homosexuality drives people further from their nature, why on earth would it? When it's a person's nature to begin with, how does following that nature while working on being a good and decent person and a contributing member of society push a person away from their true nature?

Heh, it's hard to take much of what Herodotus says seriously - extremely long-winded "heard down the pub" stories, really. :)

But interesting though the article is, it doesn't actually offer any specific archaeological proofs against the contentions of Herodotus, which is a shame.

Surely we have some record of daily life in Babylon? I'm afraid it's not an aera I've particularly studied - would bob X be able to shed any light on the practices commented upon?

Erynn,

I was apparently deleting my post while you were answering it. I stand by the post, but it is not my desire to engage in debates in this forum. I believe traditional Christianity is true, and I've discovered there are more views out there than I can refute and still earn a living, write, and do things I like.

Peace on your path, and may the Father have mercy on you. ;)

okieinexile said:
Erynn,

I was apparently deleting my post while you were answering it. I stand by the post, but it is not my desire to engage in debates in this forum. I believe traditional Christianity is true, and I've discovered there are more views out there than I can refute and still earn a living, write, and do things I like.

Okay. I don't have any problem with this, and understand not wanting to get into complicated debates here in your column.

Thanks.

I said:
Heh, it's hard to take much of what Herodotus says seriously - extremely long-winded "heard down the pub" stories, really. :)

But interesting though the article is, it doesn't actually offer any specific archaeological proofs against the contentions of Herodotus, which is a shame.

It's impossible to prove a negative, unfortunately. I think the evidence of the codes of Hammurabi and other cuneiform sources are fairly clear on expected behavior. I've read some of the prayer texts in Middle Eastern collections of mythology and translation, and haven't actually seen any references to temple prostitutes that I can recall. Lack of evidence isn't always evidence of lack, but if Herodutus was correct, I'd think there would be a good deal of supporting archaeological and period textual evidence.

Surely we have some record of daily life in Babylon? I'm afraid it's not an aera I've particularly studied - would bob X be able to shed any light on the practices commented upon?

I'm sure we have, though you'd have to read books about Babylonian culture and archaeology to get the gist of it. Not an area I'm any kind of expert in, obviously, but Samuel Kramer wrote a good deal of interesting stuff on Babylonian and Sumerian mythologies that you might find interesting.

Oh, I certainly agree that it's difficult to take Herodotus too seriously - there are very real concerns that he never visited many of the places he was writing about, hence the "heard down the pub stories" comment. It is as if he was the definitive redactor of traveller tales (albeit under the loose theme of the Persian vs Greek war).

As with all primary historical sources, there is no onus on accepting the literalism of such material - especially when so much written in the ancient to mediaeval period was pure propaganda (sort of like trying to deconstruct life in the USA in the late 90's, using just a Republican Manifesto against Clinton). This is precisely where conflict between faith and historical research can easily arise, as a general point.

However, although Herodutus cannot be taken as wholly accurate, just as like Suetonius, his stories can otherwise be regarded as having *some* degree of truth. After all, it's primary historical material. The trouble is discerning where truth and fiction begin and end, where exaggeration plays it's part, and to what degree of accuracy any detail may have. With Herodotus, there are many doubts.

Anyway, just general commentary there - hope I wasn't been patronising towards anyone. :)

Though, it should be said that "prostitute" is not necessarily accurate for the role of priestesses in those cultures. It's weighted in our culture with some very tawdry associations. Their roles would perhaps be more accurately assessed as intermediaries for a Goddess who was fully possessed of her sexuality and sensuality, as well as being healers in a sexual and social sense.
i think you're being a bit too nice here. our sources cite the custom of temple prostitution as being one of the fundamental practices which were the hallmark of the seven canaanite nations (NB - NOT including the babylonians) that we were commanded to eradicate - but found extremely difficult to, falling prey to their evils ourselves and so on, which was what the prophets got so steamed about.

in jewish culture, the weighting is not the same - what we objected to, according to the sages, is that these cultic systems raised money, rather than tithing or donation, by insisting that men and women had to spend time every year at the temple or baal or wherever prostituting themselves to the people, men or women, regardless of their own inclination, that visited the temple. the money raised was then given to the temple. now there is a *big* difference between this (which i think we can all agree is not at all pleasant, i'm sure i wouldn't like having to do it) and that of hieros gamos done in at least relative private by a priest and priestess. not that we would approve of that, either, but at least it's not temple prostitution. you also have to understand that the term for prostitution in hebrew, "zenut", implies adultery, in the sense that we are "wedded" to G!D and that when we sinned and worshipped idols, we were cheating on the Divine. that's a fundamental jewish value - being faithful to G!D and not being religiously promiscuous, as it were.

in judaism, sexual union (at least within marriage) is considered the closest experience to the Divine that a human can attain. many of our ceremonies can be understood as channeling Divine sexuality, as it were, but this is generally not understood or even admitted, although it is well known in the mystical tradition, which is part of the reason kabbalists don't shout about it because it can be so easily misunderstood and perverted.

incidentally, i think the page linked to on infidels.org is basically out to make out that jewish sources are lying blackguarding the lovely, blameless babylonians, which i find extremely offensive. you know, we lived in babylon for 2500 years - it's where the gemara was written. not that the people on infidels.org would give any credence to a jewish text anyway. whenever i see something on that site they always seem to be out to criticise judaism, without much knowledge of what we actually say. look at the comments he makes about "ignorant hebrew scribes" and "the latest and most shameless of the Jewish forgeries" (not that i've ever heard of this baruch bloke) - says it all, really. and as for this:
the "laws of Moses" are simply borrowed from the Babylonian code, and are not as just as in that code
value-judge much? what the feck does he know about the "laws of moses" anyway? they can all feck off.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Back