Life of Brian - Monty Python

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Brilliant film - completely hilarious. In my opinion, anyway.

Does anyone here regard it as actually offensive to any degree, though?

Simply curious as to the responses.

I'd love to meet someone who thought it was offensive. I haven't seen it in forever. It definitely changed my life. Python is like a philosophy unto itself.

I loved it .. but I think I recall reading there were protests about it at the time. Probably in my country, land of silly protests.

Hysterical. Absolutely loved it.

"Blessed are the Cheesemakers."

"Well, obviously they meant any producers of dairy products"

and, let me tell you, they got us down to a T. we're still having arguments like that (PFJ/JPF et al) and the "dairy products" comment is probably the first thing anyone jewish would come up with!

that's why i like it so much - the jews are so jewish. not in an antisemitic kind of way, but in a way that actually rings true with modern jews; we feel like we've actually been fairly represented by the pythons. hence no protest!

b'shalom

bananabrain

Has anyone else noticed the umbrella at the end, during the crucifixion? It's being used by that lady whose name allegedly named ... 'Brian'.

Oh, man, that cracks me up. Those Romans sure were nice to place that to ensure her comfort!

Even this thread makes me laugh. :)

I bought the US DVD release fairly recently - the Criterion Edition as it's apparently known. There's a lot of extra material on it than the Region 2 release - deleted scenes, interviews, and a few other things the studio decided for some reason the Monty Python heartland shouldn't be privvy to.

You can still understand why why the cut scenes were cut - the intro with "I love sheep" was obviously a bit long as a beginning, but great to see in itself.

The whole thing simply rings true in so many ways - not least "follow the gourd" versus "follow the shoe" - the interpretations of which are priceless. :)

and here i am thinking that Holy Grail was a better movie :)

of course, i've something of a softspot for Arthur and the knights that say "nee" ;)

i mean come on...

"i'm Roger, the shrubber. i sell shrubberies."

and, one of my favorites...

"help, i'm being repressed! you can see he's repressing me right now!"

and, of course,

"just because you ride on a horse and aren't covered in s*it, doesn't make you king."

"I am your king."

"i didn't vote for you."

:D

Vajradhara said:
"just because you ride on a horse and aren't covered in s*it, doesn't make you king."
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

roflmao if i have to express myself as a pop genre child )

but you have to admit they're right: strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

and, lest we forget, supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses - not some farcical aquatic ceremony.

b'shalom

bananabrain

:D :D

bananabrain said:
but you have to admit they're right: strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

and, lest we forget, supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses - not some farcical aquatic ceremony.

b'shalom

bananabrain

I just realised - I left this thread in "Belief and Spirituality" - now moved to the "General Lounge". :)

Back