A Mistake is Being Made

Ben Masada

Reaction score
A Mistake is Being Made

When Isaac, the son of the promise was born, Ishmael was 13 years old; (Gen. 17:25) time long enough for Abraham to have developed such a special predilection for him as to consider him the one. (Gen. 17:18)

Out of some kind of intuition or, as women prefer to call it, their sixth sense, Sara realized that a mistake was being made. She called Abraham over and said something like, "Abe, I am sorry, but you have got to get rid of Hagah with her son, for no son of a bondwoman shall share the inheritance with my son Isaac. (Gen. 21:10)

That's when Abraham started grieving. Something like, O gosh! How can I do that to my son Ishmael, whom I love so? (Gen. 21:11) Then Adonai appeared to him in a dream and said that every thing was all right. That he should just listen to Sara because her demands were approved by God. "I'll bless Ishmael too, don't worry, but it is with Isaac that I will establish My covenant." (Gen. 17:20,21) The mistake had been fixed, thanks to Sara.

Later, when Isaac got married to Rebekah, twins were born: Jacob and Esau. Although Esau was born first, it didn't matter though; for some reason or another, Rebekah always believed that Jacob was the one to carry the blessing of the firstborn in spite of Isaac's love for Esau, who had become a good hunter and a better cook even than his mother Rebekah.

Isaac was behaving like the opportunist whose theme is "If my belly you feed, I'll adopt your creed." It didn't work. One day, Rebekah realized that a mistake was being made, anyway. At the day the blessing of the firstborn was to be delivered, Rebekah disguised Jacob as if he were Esau and the mistake was fixed. (Gen. 27:1-46)

Later, when Jacob was at the end of his days, the time had arrived to pass on the blessing of the firstborn. Here, instead of using the help of a woman, the Lord went straight ahead and did the removal Himself of whoever had become a block on the road of History.

Jacob was betting on Joseph but, after 20 years of being dead to Jacob, although alive in Egypt, he remained dead for having grown up as an Egyptian, who didn't score too high in the agenda of Jacob.

Ruben, the firstborn had lost the chance for having defiled Jacob's bed as he violated Bilhah, one of Jacob's wives. (I Chron. 5:1) Next in line were Shmeon and Levi but, because of their fiasco in Shechem, which caused Jacob's word to lose all its credibility, their violence played for their misfortune. (Gen. 34:1-31)

Then, the blessing went for the fourth son of Leah, Judah, which is represented by the Jewish People today, as one nation of one People. (Ezek. 37:22) The mistake had been fixed to this very day, baruch HaShem.

Ben

if you weren't so keen to ignore the rabbinic tradition i'd say you were shilling for one of the kiruv organisations like aish.

anyway, hurrah for us! aren't we great?

b'shalom

bananabrain

I do not ignore rabbinic traditions. I have told you more than several times that I am more than ready to accept them as long as they don't contradict the Scriptures.
Ben

Back