Equanimity (Upekkha)

seattlegal

Mercuræn Buddhist
Reaction score
Anyone want to talk about upekkha and its importance?

Equanimity is a perfect, unshakable balance of mind, rooted in insight. But in its perfection and unshakable nature equanimity is not dull, heartless and frigid. Its perfection is not due to an emotional "emptiness," but to a "fullness" of understanding, to its being complete in itself. Its unshakable nature is not the immovability of a dead, cold stone, but the manifestation of the highest strength. In what way, now, is equanimity perfect and unshakable?
Whatever causes stagnation is here destroyed, what dams up is removed, what obstructs is destroyed. Vanished are the whirls of emotion and the meanderings of intellect. Unhindered goes the calm and majestic stream of consciousness, pure and radiant. Watchful mindfulness (sati) has harmonized the warmth of faith (saddha) with the penetrative keenness of wisdom (pañña); it has balanced strength of will (viriya) with calmness of mind (samadhi); and these five inner faculties (indriya) have grown into inner forces (bala) that cannot be lost again. They cannot be lost because they do not lose themselves any more in the labyrinths of the world (samsara), in the endless diffuseness of life (papañca). These inner forces emanate from the mind and act upon the world, but being guarded by mindfulness, they nowhere bind themselves, and they return unchanged. Love, compassion and sympathetic joy continue to emanate from the mind and act upon the world, but being guarded by equanimity, they cling nowhere, and return unweakened and unsullied.

Nice source here

I have never read any buddhist text But i am a great lover of buddha. I have never listen the word you are talking about but after description by you i can say a bit. I never claim about my correctness in understanding.

There is a word in english ie "charecter". It is trained. it deals with external worlds and affairs. It can be shaken. When someone is angry he looses his all good thingsa and commit the sin. It is dependent on others and hence conditional.

There is another word in Pali ie Sheel. There is no word for this in english language. It deals with inner affairs and behaviour. It comes when someone overflow with unconditioned love and joy. It do not dependent on external world. You can see the Jesus people are hanging hem and he is praying for them. You can see Mahavira peoples are abusing him and throwing stones but he is smilling. I will never call this a charector, i will call it Sheel. Cheracter always comes outside but Sheel developes inside. A good charector is always helpfull to survive in socity but a Sheelwan person can not sure about survival. Jesus had no charector, he could not survived, Definately he had Sheel. Charector is cheep, it can be developed with just a few teachings but to develope Sheel one has to go with a long iternal jurney....

All beauties of charector lies in acceptability in socity. If a charector is accepatble in one socity then it is good. If not acceptable then bad. Beauty of Sheel lie independant. It is existantial. When a Rose will open it's petals, surounding will filled up with aroma of rose. Bad people who are blind of all wishes and addicted to bad smell can not see beauty of rose and can never feel the aroma. This is what happened with Jesus. So called civilised, educated people could not tolrate jesus beauty.....Same happened in india. I have not seen a single statue of buddha is safe situation in old india findings. They could not crusify buddha but after his death, they broak his all statues...

I like charectorless greatsouls like jesus,buddha, Lao tzu and many more

Royal monk :: Your personal tour guide in india (Do google search)

"The Pali word that the Pope interprets as "indifference" is presumably upekkha. The real meaning of this word is equanimity, not indifference in the sense of unconcern for others. As a spiritual virtue, upekkha means equanimity in the face of the fluctuations of worldly fortune. It is evenness of mind, unshakeable freedom of mind, a state of inner equipoise that cannot be upset by gain and loss, honor and dishonor, praise and blame, pleasure and pain. Upekkha is freedom from all points of self-reference; it is indifference only to the demands of the ego-self with its craving for pleasure and position, not to the well-being of one's fellow human beings. True equanimity is the pinnacle of the four social attitudes that the Buddhist texts call the "divine abodes": boundless loving-kindness, compassion, altruistic joy, and equanimity. The last does not override and negate the preceding three, but perfects and consummates them."

This is a comment by Bhikkhu Bodhi (a very bright PhD in philosophy from Clermont who later converted). The point is that, like a the aledged "curmudgeoness" of Laotzi (not merely indifference, but the indifference of a hermit who must be blackmailed to write down what he knows), Upekkha just does not translate well into our Western World. John Paul II, whose "Crossing the Threshold" Bhikkhu is quoating, was no intellectual slouch... it is just that the "otherness compassion" of the West does not ever seem to include the concept of "karuna" in the sense that is compassion for everything.

Thanks for this info SG, great stuff!
Took me on a little reading excursion where I found similar ideas in Greek philosophy . . . Ataraxia and Apatheia

I have never read any buddhist text But i am a great lover of buddha. I have never listen the word you are talking about but after description by you i can say a bit. I never claim about my correctness in understanding.

There is a word in english ie "charecter". It is trained. it deals with external worlds and affairs. It can be shaken. When someone is angry he looses his all good thingsa and commit the sin. It is dependent on others and hence conditional.

There is another word in Pali ie Sheel. There is no word for this in english language. It deals with inner affairs and behaviour. It comes when someone overflow with unconditioned love and joy. It do not dependent on external world. You can see the Jesus people are hanging hem and he is praying for them. You can see Mahavira peoples are abusing him and throwing stones but he is smilling. I will never call this a charector, i will call it Sheel. Cheracter always comes outside but Sheel developes inside. A good charector is always helpfull to survive in socity but a Sheelwan person can not sure about survival. Jesus had no charector, he could not survived, Definately he had Sheel. Charector is cheep, it can be developed with just a few teachings but to develope Sheel one has to go with a long iternal jurney....

All beauties of charector lies in acceptability in socity. If a charector is accepatble in one socity then it is good. If not acceptable then bad. Beauty of Sheel lie independant. It is existantial. When a Rose will open it's petals, surounding will filled up with aroma of rose. Bad people who are blind of all wishes and addicted to bad smell can not see beauty of rose and can never feel the aroma. This is what happened with Jesus. So called civilised, educated people could not tolrate jesus beauty.....Same happened in india. I have not seen a single statue of buddha is safe situation in old india findings. They could not crusify buddha but after his death, they broak his all statues...

I like charectorless greatsouls like jesus,buddha, Lao tzu and many more

Is this what you mean?

The Pali Text Society's Pali-English dictionary
Sīla
Sīla (nt.) [cp. Sk. śīla. It is interesting to note that the Dhtp puts down a root sīl in meaning of samādhi (No. 268) and upadhāraṇa (615)] 1. nature, character, habit, behaviour; usually as -- ˚ in adj. function "being of such a nature," like, having the character of . . ., e. g. adāna˚ of stingy character, illiberal Sn 244; PvA 68 (+maccharin); kiŋ˚ of what behaviour? Pv ii.913; keḷi˚ tricky PvA 241; damana˚ one who conquers PvA 251; parisuddha˚ of excellent character A iii.124; pāpa˚ wicked Sn 246; bhaṇana˚ wont to speak DhA iv.93; vāda˚ quarrelsome Sn 381 sq. -- dussīla (of) bad character D iii.235; Dhs 1327; Pug 20, 53; Pv ii.82 (noun); ii.969 (adj.); DhA ii.252; iv.3; Sdhp 338; Miln 257; opp. susīla S i.141. -- 2. moral practice, good character, Buddhist ethics, code of morality. (a) The dasa -- sīla or 10 items of good character (not "commandments") are (1) pāṇâtipātā veramaṇī, i. e. abstinence from taking life; (2) adinn'ādānā (from) taking what is not given to one; (3) abrahmacariyā adultery (oṭherwise called kāmesu micchā -- cārā); (4) musāvādā telling lies; (5) pisuna -- vācāya slander; (6) pharusa -- vācāya harsh or impolite speech; (7) samphappalāpā frivolous and senseless talk; (8) abhijjhāya covetousness; (9) byāpādā malevolence; (10) micchādiṭṭhiyā heretic views. -- Of these 10 we sometimes find only the first 7 designated as "sīla" per se, or good character generally. See e. g. A i.269 (where called sīla -- sampadā); ii.83 sq. (not called "sīla"), & sampadā. -- (b) The pañca -- sīla or 5 items of good behaviour are Nos. 1 -- 4 of dasa -- sīla, and (5) abstaining from any state of indolence arising from (the use of) intoxicants, viz. surā -- meraya -- majjapamāda -- ṭṭhānā veramaṇī. These five also from the first half of the 10 sikkha -- padāni. They are a sort of preliminary condition to any higher development after conforming to the teaching of the Buddha (saraṇaŋgamana) and as such often mentioned when a new follower is "officially" installed, e. g. Bu ii.190: saraṇâgamane kañci nivesesi Tathāgato kañci pañcasu sīlesu sīle dasavidhe paraŋ. From Pv iv.176 sq. (as also fr. Kh ii. as following upon Kh i.) it is evident that the sikkhāpadāni are meant in this connection (either 5 or 10), and not the sīlaŋ, cp. also Pv iv.350 sq., although at the above passage of Bu and at J i.28 as well as at Mhvs 18, 10 the expression dasa -- sīla is used: evidently a later development of the term as regards dasa -- sīla (cp. Mhvs trsln 122, n. 3), which through the identity of the 5 sīlas & sikkhāpadas was transferred to the 10 sikkhāpadas. These 5 are often simply called pañca dhammā, e. g. at A iii.203 sq., 208 sq. Without a special title they are mentioned in connection with the "saraṇaŋ gata" formula e. g. at A iv.266. Similarly the 10 sīlas (as above a) are only called dhammā at A ii.253 sq.; v.260; nor are they designated as sīla at A ii.221. -- pañcasu sīlesu samādapeti to instruct in the 5 sīlas (alias sikkhāpadāni) Vin ii.162. -- (c) The only standard enumerations of the 5 or 10 sīlas are found at two places in the Saŋyutta and correspond with those given in the Niddesa. See on the 10 (as given under a) S iv.342 & Nd2 s. v. sīla; on the 5 (also as under b) S ii.68 & Nd2 s. v. The so -- called 10 sīlas (Childers) as found at Kh ii. (under the name of dasa -- sikkhāpada) are of late origin & served as memorial verses for the use of novices. Strictly speaking they should not be called dasa -- sīla. -- The eightfold sīla or the eight pledges which are recommended to the Buddhist layman (cp. Miln 333 mentioned below) are the sikkhāpadas Nos. 1 -- 8 (see sikkhāpada), which in the Canon however do
-- 713 -- not occur under the name of sīla nor sikkhāpada, but as aṭṭhanga -- samannāgata uposatha (or aṭṭhangika u.) "the fast -- day with its 8 constituents." They are discussed in detail at A iv.248 sq., with a poetical setting of the eight at A iv.254=Sn 400, 401 -- (d) Three special tracts on morality are found in the Canon. The Cullasīla (D i.3 sq.) consists first of the items (dasa) sīla 1-7; then follow specific injunctions as to practices of daily living & special conduct, of which the first 5 (omitting the introductory item of bījagāma -- bhūtagāma -- samārambha) form the second 5 sikkhāpadāni. Upon the Culla˚ follows the Majjhima˚ (D i.5 sq.) & then the Mahāsīla D i.9 sq. The whole of these 3 sīlas is called sīlakkhandha and is (in the Sāmaññaphala sutta e. g.) grouped with samādhi -- and paññākkhandha: D i.206 sq.; at A v.205, 206 sīla -- kkhandha refers to the Culla -- sīla only. The three (s., samādhi & paññā) are often mentioned together, e. g. D ii.81, 84; It 51; DA i.57. -- The characteristic of a kalyāṇa -- mitta is endowment with saddhā, sīla, cāga, paññā A iv.282. These four are counted as constituents of future bliss A iv.282, and form the 4 sampadās ibid. 322. In another connection at M iii.99; Vism 19. They are, with suta (foll. after sīla) characteristic of the merit of the devatās A i.210 sq. (under devat'ânussati). -- At Miln 333 sīla is classed as: saraṇa˚, pañca˚, aṭṭhanga˚, dasanga˚, pātimokkhasaŋvara˚, all of which expressions refer to the sikkhāpadas and not to the sīlas. -- At Miln 336 sq. sīla functions as one of the 7 ratanas (the 5 as given under sampadā up to vimuttiñāṇadassana; plus paṭisambhidā and bojjhanga). -- cattāro sīlakkhandhā "4 sections of morality" Miln 243; Vism 15 & DhsA 168 (here as pātimokkha -- saŋvara, indriya -- saŋvara, ājīvapārisuddhi, paccaya -- sannissita. The same with ref. to catubbidha sīla at J iii.195). See also under cpds. <-> At Ps i.46 sq. we find the fivefold grouping as (1) pāṇâtipatassa pahānaŋ, (2) veramaṇī, (3) cetanā, (4) saŋvara, (5) avītikkama, which is commented on at Vism 49. -- A fourfold sīla (referring to the sikkhāpada) is given at Vism 15 as bhikkhu˚, bhikkhunī˚, anupasampanna˚ gahaṭṭha˚. -- On sīla and adhisīla see e. g. A i.229 sq.; VbhA 413 sq. -- The division of sīla at J iii.195 is a distinction of a simple sīla as "saŋvara," of twofold sīla as "caritta -- vāritta," threefold as "kāyika, vācasika, mānasika," and fourfold as above under cattāro sīlakkhandhā. -- See further generally: Ps i.42 sq.; Vism 3 sq.; Tikp 154, 165 sq., 269, 277; Nd1 14, 188 (expld as "pātimokkha -- saŋvara"); Nd2 p. 277; VbhA 143.
-- anga constituent of morality (applied to the pañcasikkhāpadaŋ) VbhA 381. -- ācāra practice of morality J i.187; ii.3. -- kathā exposition of the duties of morality Vin i.15; A i.125; J i.188. -- kkhandha all that belongs to moral practices, body of morality as forming the first constituent of the 5 khandhas or groups (+samādhi˚, paññā˚, vimutti˚, ñāṇadassana -- kkhandha), which make up the 5 sampadās or whole range of religious development; see e. g. Nd1 21, 39; Nd2 p. 277. -- Vin. 162 sq.; iii.164; A i.124, 291; ii.20; S i.99 sq.; It 51, 107; Nett 90 sq., 128; Miln 243; DhA iii.417. -- gandha the fragrance of good works Dh 55; Vism 58. -- caraṇa moral life J iv.328, 332. -- tittha having good behaviour as its banks S i.169, 183 (trsln Mrs. Rh. D. "with virtue's strand for bathing"). -- bbata [=vata2] good works and ceremonial observances Dh 271; A i.225; S iv.118; Ud 71; Sn 231, etc.; sīlavata the same Sn 212, 782, 790, 797, 803, 899; It 79 sq.; ˚ -- parāmāsa the contagion of mere rule and ritual, the infatuation of good works, the delusion that they suffice Vin i.184; M i.433; Dhs 1005; A iii.377; iv.144 sq.; Nd1 98; Dukp 245, 282 sq.; DhsA 348; see also expln at Cpd. 171, n. 4. <-> sīlabbatupādāna grasping after works and rites D ii.58; Dhs 1005, 1216; Vism 569; VbhA 181 sq. -- The old form sīlavata still preserves the original good sense, as much as "observing the rules of good conduct," "being of virtuous behaviour." Thus at Th 1, 12; Sn 212, 782 (expld in detail at Nd1 66), 790, 797, 803; It 79; J vi.491 (ariya˚). -- bheda a breach of morality J i.296. -- mattaka a matter of mere morality D i.3; DA i.55. -- maya consisting in morality It 51; VvA 10 (see maya, defn 6). -- vatta morality, virtue S i.143; cp. J iii.360. -- vipatti moral transgression Vin i.171 sq.; D ii.85; A i.95; 268 sq.; iii.252; Pug 21; Vism 54, 57. -- vipanna trespassing D ii.85; Pug 21; Vin i.227. -- vīmaŋsaka testing one's reputation J i.369; ii.429; iii.100, 193. -- saŋvara self -- restraint in conduct D i.69; Dhs 1342; DA i.182. -- saŋvuta living under moral self -- restraint Dh 281. -- sampatti accomplishment or attainment by moral living Vism 57. -- sampadā practice of morality Vin i.227; D ii.86; M i.194, 201 sq.; A i.95, 269 sq., ii.66; Pug. 25, 54. -- sampanna practising morality, virtuous Vin i.228; D i.63; ii.86; M i.354; Th 2, 196; ThA 168; DA i.182.

Interestingly, we are having a similar conversation on this thread:

http://www.interfaith.org/forum/shadow-khaibit-preta-ammit-15458.html

Equanimity is not Upekkha (Sans. Upeksha, disregard). It is, IMHO, Samata.
Etu, equanimity, samata, is not ataraxia or Apatheia.

"Sukha-duhkhe same kritva, labhalabhau jayajayau;
tato yuddhaya yujyasva, naivam papam avapsyasi." BhagawadGita 2.38

(Considering happiness or distress, loss or gain, victory or defeat, as same; in that way engage in fight, and by so doing you shall never incur sin)

"Sukha-duhkhe same kritva, labhalabhau jayajayau;
tato yuddhaya yujyasva, naivam papam avapsyasi." BhagawadGita 2.38

(Considering happiness or distress, loss or gain, victory or defeat, as same; in that way engage in fight, and by so doing you shall never incur sin)

:D things are starting to congeal! I like it! The hunger for one over the other is where it starts and ends!

From the thread what is Sin in Christianity

It's interesting that you can believe in the archetypes of the collective unconscious, specifically the shadow, (aka Khaibit of Egyptian system, similar to the preta, or "hungry ghost" in Buddhism,) but not the concept of sin. Like these other archetypes, within the Judao-Christian system, "sin" is also represented as "hungry," and "craving." This craving and addictive behaviour can become detrimental to the mind if you feed it with the wrong stuff--resulting in what I call "the way of the junkie." The more you feed it the wrong stuff, the bigger and hungrier it becomes, until it devours the person's very being like the monster Ammit that sits beneath the scales in the Hall of Ma'at. (It's interesting how you posted an excerpt from a talk regarding predatory and cannibalistic behaviour in regard to this.)

I started a thread here if anyone wants to follow this derail.

Is this what you mean?

The Pali Text Society's Pali-English dictionary
Sīla
Sīla (nt.) [cp. Sk. śīla. It is interesting to note that the Dhtp puts down a root sīl in meaning of samādhi (No. 268) and upadhāraṇa (615)] 1. nature, character, habit, behaviour; usually as -- ˚ in adj. function "being of such a nature," like, having the character of . . ., e. g. adāna˚ of stingy character, illiberal Sn 244; PvA 68 (+maccharin); kiŋ˚ of what behaviour? Pv ii.913; keḷi˚ tricky PvA 241; damana˚ one who conquers PvA 251; parisuddha˚ of excellent character A iii.124; pāpa˚ wicked Sn 246; bhaṇana˚ wont to speak DhA iv.93; vāda˚ quarrelsome Sn 381 sq. -- dussīla (of) bad character D iii.235; Dhs 1327; Pug 20, 53; Pv ii.82 (noun); ii.969 (adj.); DhA ii.252; iv.3; Sdhp 338; Miln 257; opp. susīla S i.141. -- 2. moral practice, good character, Buddhist ethics, code of morality. (a) The dasa -- sīla or 10 items of good character (not "commandments") are (1) pāṇâtipātā veramaṇī, i. e. abstinence from taking life; (2) adinn'ādānā (from) taking what is not given to one; (3) abrahmacariyā adultery (oṭherwise called kāmesu micchā -- cārā); (4) musāvādā telling lies; (5) pisuna -- vācāya slander; (6) pharusa -- vācāya harsh or impolite speech; (7) samphappalāpā frivolous and senseless talk; (8) abhijjhāya covetousness; (9) byāpādā malevolence; (10) micchādiṭṭhiyā heretic views. -- Of these 10 we sometimes find only the first 7 designated as "sīla" per se, or good character generally. See e. g. A i.269 (where called sīla -- sampadā); ii.83 sq. (not called "sīla"), & sampadā. -- (b) The pañca -- sīla or 5 items of good behaviour are Nos. 1 -- 4 of dasa -- sīla, and (5) abstaining from any state of indolence arising from (the use of) intoxicants, viz. surā -- meraya -- majjapamāda -- ṭṭhānā veramaṇī. These five also from the first half of the 10 sikkha -- padāni. They are a sort of preliminary condition to any higher development after conforming to the teaching of the Buddha (saraṇaŋgamana) and as such often mentioned when a new follower is "officially" installed, e. g. Bu ii.190: saraṇâgamane kañci nivesesi Tathāgato kañci pañcasu sīlesu sīle dasavidhe paraŋ. From Pv iv.176 sq. (as also fr. Kh ii. as following upon Kh i.) it is evident that the sikkhāpadāni are meant in this connection (either 5 or 10), and not the sīlaŋ, cp. also Pv iv.350 sq., although at the above passage of Bu and at J i.28 as well as at Mhvs 18, 10 the expression dasa -- sīla is used: evidently a later development of the term as regards dasa -- sīla (cp. Mhvs trsln 122, n. 3), which through the identity of the 5 sīlas & sikkhāpadas was transferred to the 10 sikkhāpadas. These 5 are often simply called pañca dhammā, e. g. at A iii.203 sq., 208 sq. Without a special title they are mentioned in connection with the "saraṇaŋ gata" formula e. g. at A iv.266. Similarly the 10 sīlas (as above a) are only called dhammā at A ii.253 sq.; v.260; nor are they designated as sīla at A ii.221. -- pañcasu sīlesu samādapeti to instruct in the 5 sīlas (alias sikkhāpadāni) Vin ii.162. -- (c) The only standard enumerations of the 5 or 10 sīlas are found at two places in the Saŋyutta and correspond with those given in the Niddesa. See on the 10 (as given under a) S iv.342 & Nd2 s. v. sīla; on the 5 (also as under b) S ii.68 & Nd2 s. v. The so -- called 10 sīlas (Childers) as found at Kh ii. (under the name of dasa -- sikkhāpada) are of late origin & served as memorial verses for the use of novices. Strictly speaking they should not be called dasa -- sīla. -- The eightfold sīla or the eight pledges which are recommended to the Buddhist layman (cp. Miln 333 mentioned below) are the sikkhāpadas Nos. 1 -- 8 (see sikkhāpada), which in the Canon however do
-- 713 -- not occur under the name of sīla nor sikkhāpada, but as aṭṭhanga -- samannāgata uposatha (or aṭṭhangika u.) "the fast -- day with its 8 constituents." They are discussed in detail at A iv.248 sq., with a poetical setting of the eight at A iv.254=Sn 400, 401 -- (d) Three special tracts on morality are found in the Canon. The Cullasīla (D i.3 sq.) consists first of the items (dasa) sīla 1-7; then follow specific injunctions as to practices of daily living & special conduct, of which the first 5 (omitting the introductory item of bījagāma -- bhūtagāma -- samārambha) form the second 5 sikkhāpadāni. Upon the Culla˚ follows the Majjhima˚ (D i.5 sq.) & then the Mahāsīla D i.9 sq. The whole of these 3 sīlas is called sīlakkhandha and is (in the Sāmaññaphala sutta e. g.) grouped with samādhi -- and paññākkhandha: D i.206 sq.; at A v.205, 206 sīla -- kkhandha refers to the Culla -- sīla only. The three (s., samādhi & paññā) are often mentioned together, e. g. D ii.81, 84; It 51; DA i.57. -- The characteristic of a kalyāṇa -- mitta is endowment with saddhā, sīla, cāga, paññā A iv.282. These four are counted as constituents of future bliss A iv.282, and form the 4 sampadās ibid. 322. In another connection at M iii.99; Vism 19. They are, with suta (foll. after sīla) characteristic of the merit of the devatās A i.210 sq. (under devat'ânussati). -- At Miln 333 sīla is classed as: saraṇa˚, pañca˚, aṭṭhanga˚, dasanga˚, pātimokkhasaŋvara˚, all of which expressions refer to the sikkhāpadas and not to the sīlas. -- At Miln 336 sq. sīla functions as one of the 7 ratanas (the 5 as given under sampadā up to vimuttiñāṇadassana; plus paṭisambhidā and bojjhanga). -- cattāro sīlakkhandhā "4 sections of morality" Miln 243; Vism 15 & DhsA 168 (here as pātimokkha -- saŋvara, indriya -- saŋvara, ājīvapārisuddhi, paccaya -- sannissita. The same with ref. to catubbidha sīla at J iii.195). See also under cpds. <-> At Ps i.46 sq. we find the fivefold grouping as (1) pāṇâtipatassa pahānaŋ, (2) veramaṇī, (3) cetanā, (4) saŋvara, (5) avītikkama, which is commented on at Vism 49. -- A fourfold sīla (referring to the sikkhāpada) is given at Vism 15 as bhikkhu˚, bhikkhunī˚, anupasampanna˚ gahaṭṭha˚. -- On sīla and adhisīla see e. g. A i.229 sq.; VbhA 413 sq. -- The division of sīla at J iii.195 is a distinction of a simple sīla as "saŋvara," of twofold sīla as "caritta -- vāritta," threefold as "kāyika, vācasika, mānasika," and fourfold as above under cattāro sīlakkhandhā. -- See further generally: Ps i.42 sq.; Vism 3 sq.; Tikp 154, 165 sq., 269, 277; Nd1 14, 188 (expld as "pātimokkha -- saŋvara"); Nd2 p. 277; VbhA 143.
-- anga constituent of morality (applied to the pañcasikkhāpadaŋ) VbhA 381. -- ācāra practice of morality J i.187; ii.3. -- kathā exposition of the duties of morality Vin i.15; A i.125; J i.188. -- kkhandha all that belongs to moral practices, body of morality as forming the first constituent of the 5 khandhas or groups (+samādhi˚, paññā˚, vimutti˚, ñāṇadassana -- kkhandha), which make up the 5 sampadās or whole range of religious development; see e. g. Nd1 21, 39; Nd2 p. 277. -- Vin. 162 sq.; iii.164; A i.124, 291; ii.20; S i.99 sq.; It 51, 107; Nett 90 sq., 128; Miln 243; DhA iii.417. -- gandha the fragrance of good works Dh 55; Vism 58. -- caraṇa moral life J iv.328, 332. -- tittha having good behaviour as its banks S i.169, 183 (trsln Mrs. Rh. D. "with virtue's strand for bathing"). -- bbata [=vata2] good works and ceremonial observances Dh 271; A i.225; S iv.118; Ud 71; Sn 231, etc.; sīlavata the same Sn 212, 782, 790, 797, 803, 899; It 79 sq.; ˚ -- parāmāsa the contagion of mere rule and ritual, the infatuation of good works, the delusion that they suffice Vin i.184; M i.433; Dhs 1005; A iii.377; iv.144 sq.; Nd1 98; Dukp 245, 282 sq.; DhsA 348; see also expln at Cpd. 171, n. 4. <-> sīlabbatupādāna grasping after works and rites D ii.58; Dhs 1005, 1216; Vism 569; VbhA 181 sq. -- The old form sīlavata still preserves the original good sense, as much as "observing the rules of good conduct," "being of virtuous behaviour." Thus at Th 1, 12; Sn 212, 782 (expld in detail at Nd1 66), 790, 797, 803; It 79; J vi.491 (ariya˚). -- bheda a breach of morality J i.296. -- mattaka a matter of mere morality D i.3; DA i.55. -- maya consisting in morality It 51; VvA 10 (see maya, defn 6). -- vatta morality, virtue S i.143; cp. J iii.360. -- vipatti moral transgression Vin i.171 sq.; D ii.85; A i.95; 268 sq.; iii.252; Pug 21; Vism 54, 57. -- vipanna trespassing D ii.85; Pug 21; Vin i.227. -- vīmaŋsaka testing one's reputation J i.369; ii.429; iii.100, 193. -- saŋvara self -- restraint in conduct D i.69; Dhs 1342; DA i.182. -- saŋvuta living under moral self -- restraint Dh 281. -- sampatti accomplishment or attainment by moral living Vism 57. -- sampadā practice of morality Vin i.227; D ii.86; M i.194, 201 sq.; A i.95, 269 sq., ii.66; Pug. 25, 54. -- sampanna practising morality, virtuous Vin i.228; D i.63; ii.86; M i.354; Th 2, 196; ThA 168; DA i.182.

Interestingly, we are having a similar conversation on this thread:

http://www.interfaith.org/forum/shadow-khaibit-preta-ammit-15458.html

Thanks brother for the great reply. I never expected for such a big and complete reply. I had a dreem to teach my nice pali but has no clue as there is no school near by be. Can you plz help in this regards

www.royalmonk.in your personal tour guide in india

It was not hunger for anything, but the question of doing the right thing, duty, 'dharma'. :D

If i am right? Duty is very cheep thing. It creates burden. It is love for others and dharma for self....

Upekkha is all I have really talked about on this site.
It is the bliss (ananda) of the Hindus, the peace of the Abrahamic line.
It is the message of all the realized beings.
It is the source of compassion and love.
It is everything.
There are many roads to it, short and long.
The shortest is to remove all the opposites in you.
All you perceive as two is not two at all.
Gradually, we come to see how little remains without duality.
Eventually we come to oneness.
Yet nothing changes in the world.
It is simply that barriers cease between this and that.
When you do not prefer this over that.
There is only equanimity.
Only in equanimity can you benefit others.
All else stems from the mind, functions by comparison and opinion.
Seeing through all that, nothing but equanimity arises.
The miracle of life is fully presented.
The suffering of others is seen as entirely stemming from their beliefs.
They trust the mind, and it inevitably leads to depression.
To know what is before the mind, what witnesses the mind.
This is your Buddha-nature.
Pure awareness itself.
In awareness, both this and that are seen.
The seer is there, too.
Only the awareness is truth.
Even if God comes to your mind.
If Buddha comes as something in consciousness.
If Krisna or Muhammad or Jesus are there.
Whatever appears, Reality is that which is aware of it.
It is the stage on which all plays.
Know this and what can touch you?
Knowing nothing can, Upekkha is.

The long path is the one of worship, love.
To include all as the same object of devotion.
To see yourself gradually included in that.
This path is much more difficult though.
You will honor that object too much.
You will think yourself too small to merge with it.
You will think yourself unworthy.
Any path so determined by mind will have faults.
The short path simply seeks what observes the mind.
It can bring us home any moment.
The long path can take years, may never bring us home.
It is the more beautiful path.
The short path is not a path at all.
The mind despises the short path.
There is so little use for it.
The more you do to create your path.
The longer you permit the mind to be in control.
The short path still comes at the end.
Always, in a split second of seeing.
The whole structure of the mind collapses.
Seeing it cannot help, you look beyond it.
Seek what sees the mind.
It is on this that the basis for all seeking rests.
Simply turn back on yourself and question this one.
Nirvana is seeing there is nothing there.
You are nothing but an idea, a bunch of thoughts creating identification.
What is actually here?
Just life.

What is ever lacking?
Only whatsoever your mind brings in.
Comparing the false to the real, always something better can be imagined.
Yet that imagining is still only something arising here.
Be here.
You cannot be somewhere else.
You cannot be something else.
Just this, now.
What is lacking?

Awesome Seattlegal . . . I have never heard of Upekkha!
Never too old to learn! Good stuff, thanks!

Back