Depression and Obsession with the after life

eternalSoul

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here. For a couple weeks now I have been thinking about what happens after we die. I can't help but try to find answers. I was raised Catholic and then about 5 years ago I became agnostic. I don't know why but I started randomly reading about religions and people's faith.

I came across the belief of reincarnation and I always knew about it since my dad is Buddhist but I never believed in it. For some reason reading a lot of people's view on this scares the crap out of me that it could be real. I don't want to forget who I am, I don't want to forget loved ones, I don't want them to forget me. I don't want to have to live life over and over again and then cease to exist. I don't want to have 100 different spouses in past lives, or children, or families, it doesn't sound special to me at all. Some reincarnation believers think that your husband can be your sister in a next life and it makes me depressed and want to throw up lol.

I'm not saying I really believe in it but I'm not ruling it out as a possibility. I think it is hell. I wouldn't even mind reincarnating if we all just remember who we were but get to experience life as an Avatar, martian, or bird for a short while if we wish.

My idea of heaven is eternal of never getting bored, doing whatever you want, exploring universe, be unconscious if I wish, experience life through others, visit loved ones.

I don't know how to stop worrying about it. People say you won't remember anyways but that is what scares me and depresses me.

Hi, Eternalsoul,

You said,

"I can't help but try to find answers. I was raised Catholic and then about 5 years ago I became agnostic. I don't know why but I started randomly reading about religions and people's faith."

--> I’m glad to hear that you have begun this type of search. I’m also glad to hear that you take a critical view of religions like Christianity.

"For some reason reading a lot of people's view on this scares the crap out of me that it could be real."

--> I’m sorry to hear it scares you. It doesn’t scare me at all. But most people are misinformed about the true nature of heaven.

"I don't want to forget who I am…"

--> You won’t.

"I don't want them to forget me.

--> They won’t.

"I don't want to have to live life over and over again and then cease to exist."

--> It’s not that you will cease to exist, but that your lower self will cease to exist. Your Higher Self will continue to exist. This is one of the biggest misconceptions about reincarnations.

"I don't want to have 100 different spouses in past lives, or children, or families, it doesn't sound special to me at all."

--> It does to me.

"I'm not saying I really believe in it but I'm not ruling it out as a possibility."

--> Good for you!

"I wouldn't even mind reincarnating if we all just remember who we were…"

--> I am confident the day will come when we remember all of our previous incarnations.

"…get to experience life as an Avatar, martian, or bird for a short while if we wish."

--> You will be able to do all of these things in heaven.

"My idea of heaven is eternal of never getting bored, doing whatever you want, exploring universe, be unconscious if I wish, experience life through others, visit loved ones."

--> I think heaven is a lot like this. But I don’t think you will want to be ‘unconscious’ nor will you be able to.

"I don't know how to stop worrying about it."

--> The worrying comes not from heaven but from personal issues you are presently struggling with here on earth.

"People say you won't remember anyways but that is what scares me and depresses me."

--> I think you will remember, but it will be a positive ‘top-looking-down’ experience, not the negative ‘bottom-looking-up’ experience you are having now.

But the real problem for you right now is that you are experiencing fears and insecurities from issues in your life. These are the things which are causing your depression and obsession.

These are caused by things that have happened to you here on earth, not by what will happen to you when you get to heaven. You need to take care of these fears and insecurities. Once you take care of these fears and insecurities, things will go a lot better for you here on earth. At the same time, your fears about heaven will begin to subside.

How about depression and obsession with life prior to birth, why don't people suffer from that? Because we don't get obsessed about things we cannot recall. Now, about the afterlife, we have collected too many preconceived notions as a result of religion which only gets people bugged up with myths. There is an exception with Judaism though, but then again
Judaism is not precisely a religion but a way of life, as Jews believe that the afterlife is in the grave and not in some mystical place.

Whatever is going to happen, will happen, and worrying about it won't change a thing. Believe what you feel most comfortable with. There are no right and wrong answers when you come to faith. If you like heaven, keep heaven. If reincarnation makes you feel... odd.... then, give it up. You can't believe in everything at the same time -- there's too many conflicting stories for them all to be right 100% of the time. Believe what you like. God doesn't mind.

Reactions: wil
Hi everyone, I'm new here. For a couple weeks now I have been thinking about what happens after we die. I can't help but try to find answers. I was raised Catholic and then about 5 years ago I became agnostic. I don't know why but I started randomly reading about religions and people's faith.

I came across the belief of reincarnation and I always knew about it since my dad is Buddhist but I never believed in it. For some reason reading a lot of people's view on this scares the crap out of me that it could be real. I don't want to forget who I am, I don't want to forget loved ones, I don't want them to forget me. I don't want to have to live life over and over again and then cease to exist. I don't want to have 100 different spouses in past lives, or children, or families, it doesn't sound special to me at all. Some reincarnation believers think that your husband can be your sister in a next life and it makes me depressed and want to throw up lol.

I'm not saying I really believe in it but I'm not ruling it out as a possibility. I think it is hell. I wouldn't even mind reincarnating if we all just remember who we were but get to experience life as an Avatar, martian, or bird for a short while if we wish.

My idea of heaven is eternal of never getting bored, doing whatever you want, exploring universe, be unconscious if I wish, experience life through others, visit loved ones.

I don't know how to stop worrying about it. People say you won't remember anyways but that is what scares me and depresses me.
So you think it's real!! and that's what worries you.
Tell me, whether you like your present life,
if you do, similarly you will like the next one, and the one after that.
As in next lives, you will never know that previous existed, so you will live as if it is your only life.
(Ignorance is bliss :) )
So stop worrying...

Back