A potentially silly question

mirrorinthefog

Reaction score
I've been studying various philosophies and religion in general for some time now, and I've discovered a lot of my personal beliefs parallel Wiccan beliefs. I share the Wiccan's reverence for nature and the cyclic properties of time. I believe in a Universal Entity which is the essence of all, and is fundementally beyond our understanding. I agree with the concept of polarity manifested in us and around us, as vehicles of this Entity.
However, I have difficulty accepting the need for gods and godesses to symbolize this. These qualities are already in us, and around us. In my (humble) opinion they don't need to be invoked or worshiped any more than the Divine Entity does. The rituals we perform to honor the Divine are merely efforts to reinforce our beliefs and achieve balance, thus a deeper connection with the Entity.
My question is, is there a branch of Wicca that does not necesssarily require these symbolic dieties, or opts to communicate directly with the Divine without the use of other forces and spirits?

Hi mirrorinthefog, and welcome to CR. :)

As for the similarities - they sound fairly universal, in some description or other (as a generalisation). :)

The difference between the faiths is simply how that specific faith structure relates to a specific theological issue.

In this day and age there is actually little need to actually force yourself into any pigeonhole - if something works for you, use it, regardless as to whether anyone is going to call you Neopagan, New Age, Wiccan or Witch. Of course, that depends upon how much of an association you wish to have with traditions.

But that's a general point - hopefully one of our Wiccans will inform specifically of this area. :)

I'm a Wiccan so perhaps I can shed a little light on this topic.

First, I'd like to say that I think the only bad question is the one a person thinks but refrains from asking. If one person is wondering something, you can be sure there are others who are wondering the same thing.

There is a lot of diversity in Wiccan philosophy and practice. Even within established sects or traditions there is a tendency towards celebrating diversity and recognizing individual variations in philosophy. One third-degree Gardnerian high priestess I know has said that she does not see it as her place to dictate to her coven members how or what they believe. She said it is her role as leader of the coven to establish practices and behaviours but it's up to each participant to decide for themselves what their own philosophies are regarding the Divine, or even if they believe in a Divine at all.

There are some Wiccans (at least one in my own coven) who are very Jungian in their beliefs about the Divine. To them, the gods and goddesses are archetypes, anthropomorphic illustrations we humans have built up to explain abstract concepts and forces which are available for us to tap into and try to understand. Worship for them is more about identifying and attempting to understand a particular abstract. Other Wiccans, though, are "hard polytheists" and believe that the different deities are actually literal individual greater-than-human entities who we can contact. Others, like me, are "soft polytheists" and believe that all the deities are really just finite and approachable ways for us as mere mortals to try and gain at least some inkling of understanding of the vast complexity that is the omnipresent and omni-everything Divine.

Wicca, above all, is a religion that does not have a central authority. We don't have a pope, a Grand High Witch, nor a scripture that determines Wiccan doctrine or dogma. Some established groups have instituted their own hierarchies of authority, or have established their own scripture which they base everything on, but that authority does not extend to all Wiccans. And that means that whether we like it or not a lot of the responsibility for deciding exactly what we want to believe, and exactly what and how we will do things, is up to each of us individually or in our chosen groups.

And that is why it's so often true that if you ask thirteen Wiccans something, you'll be given eighteen or more different responses.

Dear Mirrorthefog

I agree with Brian.

In fact if we look at the Essene Gospels they are very much about living with nature, the natural cycles and honouring the divine feminine. So it isn't only Wicca that has a foundation here.

Many year's ago, I had a philosophy that was a bit of this and a bit of that, then I read a book called the 'Celestine Prophecy' by James Redfield and found it all in there. I shouted with joy, yes, yes, yes. At that point I stopped looking to fit into a box or have a lable.

I accepted that it was far better to be authentic, and true to my own divine self, and in doing so I realised that I was being true to the Creator of all nature.

Love beyond measure

Sacredstar

Hi Mirrorinthefog,

I agree with bruagach. I too, am a Wiccan and I don't belong to a coven, but have chose to follow the solitary path. So one doesn't even need to belong to a "group." I have found covens useful for learning about Wicca, but as described above a good high priestess will let you develop in your own direction too.

So explore, ask questions, seek...

Even though you have felt connected to Wicca, what you describe is ancient Christianity/Judaism, and the Religion that Christ believed in and taught. There is an "all-force", which Christians call God. The natural world is God's greatest accomplishment and is to be revered, (read genesis), and the pagan deities are really the family of Noah, who had divine parentage (the Son's of God heritage through Noah's mother, whose geanology is not mentioned) as well as human parentage, mentioned by Noah's father's geanology. They were miraculous people who could tap into and do miraculous/magickal things, and it was an "accident" that they were worshipped by their descendants as a way to remember them, I suppose. The and their names became divided at the story remembered as the "tower of Babel" which is why pagan pantheons have different names for deities, whose functions then evolved, so that pagan deities are similare, yet different too. We are also descended from Noah, and have this divine heritage, which we can access and make changes in our lives and world through. Christ himself had such powers, and taught that if you believe in him, you will have "greater power" than Christ had. Christianity does not expect you to revere other deities, and it is not really the "milk-toast" religion portrayed in churches or by tv evangelists. It is a path that asks you to "bend in conformity to divine will", which, once you have done this, you will be able to "bend your world in conformity with your own will, which comes to match the divine will." I really don't see that much difference between Wicca and other religions - it is a hope in the divine world, and the taking of action to bring about change for good. Christ taught that he is the Bridegroom (the God) and that if you connect with him you become his bride, the Goddess, and you create good in the cauldron of your own inner spirit, bringing about change. To me this isnt so different from Wicca. I think we are basically divided because of linguistics, and I think that's very sad, as we all have so much to share.

All respect to your views Chalice but symbols of the devine 'Goddess' occur throughout the world and pre-date judaism by several millenia. To try and tie in everything to your own deluvian theories is truly a leap of faith and there are mountains of irrefutable evidence to support that fact.

then I read a book called the 'Celestine Prophecy' by James Redfield
fun book...and then tenth insight, and the last (I believe) and best of that series Secret of Shambala...

Speaking of books I know need to see if there is a book section here...

I found Goddess of the Gospels, and Alabaster Jar. and Messianic Legacy intriguing as the book that spawned all of them and more including the Davinci Code....Holy Blood, Holy Grail.

Back