Neturei Karta

Indogenes

Reaction score
I have some time back got acquainted with Neturai Karta, the anti-Zionist group of orthodox Jews, through their website. Their website said their membership is a few thousands - not exactly a number to be representative of the majority of Jews, I suppose. I know I can read up about their activities from their website, but I feel I would like a non-partisan view from outside of the organisation.

I was curious if anyone here has more knowledge about this group and its influence (if any) on politics, Jewish or Israeli; and how it is viewed by the general Jewish public.

Please: My intent here is not to start a thread that may turn inflammatory - I am merely wanting to educate myself about the politics of the group.

Re: Neturai Karta

Indeed - there is no harm at all in asking. It might be an idea to move this thread to the Jewish board, so that bananabrain and others with a better experience of Judaism than myself, may make better comment.

I said:
It might be an idea to move this thread to the Jewish board, so that bananabrain and others with a better experience of Judaism than myself, may make better comment.
Brian,
I think that makes sense. Even though Neturai Karta expresses political views, they are based on its founders' interpretation of Jewish scriptures.

neturei karta are generally considered to be an extremely dubious fringe group. the nub of their philosophy is that they consider it heretical for jews to return to israel before the messiah shows up, so they are extremely anti-zionist and critical of all aspects of the modern state. what puts them beyond the pale for most jews is not so much that they're anti-zionist ultra-orthodox (after all there are plenty of them) but that they are so extreme that they supported the PLO from its foundation in its [original-ish] aim to destroy the state of israel. in other words they have crossed the line from criticism into effectively reckoning it's OK to kill heretical jews (which means all israelis) in order to punish them for preempting the messiah. that's their agenda. however, this agenda prompts them to show up at every possible anti-zionist event or rally or conference no matter how extreme, where they are paraded around to show that the organisers aren't anti-semitic, because "look, here, here are our pet religious jews, we don't hate them, we just hate israel" - for this reason they used to go and meet people like palestinian fringe groups and arab dictators in order to make them look less anti-semitic than they actually are. of course it is never pointed out that these black-hat-wearing guys with the beards are actually NK, they're presented as being "the true opinion of the right-minded jewish community as opposed to the 'zionist lobby'". of course, in their own minds, that's exactly what they are and the fact that they are completely unrepresentative is not their concern. basically it's really fecking twisted and no-right-minded person could ever consider what they do permissible.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Shalom bananabrain,

Thanks for your views and for correcting the spelling - it is Neturei and not Neturai as I wrote! I do believe the Palestinians got a rough deal in the past from Israel and its allies, but finding a peaceful solution should be more important than pursuing revenge on both sides. Your 'inside' view shows me that there is really no bridge between Neturei Karta and the mainstream Jews. With NK's access to the Palestinian and Arab rulers, it would have been ideal if they could have served the purpose of being a genuine bridge for communication and negotiation between the Palestinians and Israelis. But I suppose that would go against NK's religious belief that the formation of Israel was against God's will. I read that NK followers feel that the state of Palestine should be formed, including current Palestinian land and Israel, and the Jews should live under a Palestinian government. I wonder what citizenship the NK followers holding this view and living in Israel have. I read that some of those who live in Israel do not take any help from the government. I am not sure how it is possible to not take anything from the government while living in a country - e.g., you use a road that the government maintains, then you are using something that the government provides. But maybe I am just nit-picking. With their having such strong views, I wonder if you know if any of them are living in the Palestinian settlements - so they aren't really dependent on the government of Israel.

By the way, is the word 'anti-semitic' being used in place of anti-Jew? I read that both Jews and Arabs are semitic by race. But 'anti-semitic' seems to be used often to describe something or someone against Jews.

P.S. 'Shalom' means peace - right? What does b'shalom mean?

Just to point out that I've edited the title of this thread to the corrected spelling. :)

it would have been ideal if they could have served the purpose of being a genuine bridge for communication and negotiation between the Palestinians and Israelis.
they're not interested in that at all; their interpretation of jewish law would preclude them participating in any kind of official "secular" process.

I read that NK followers feel that the state of Palestine should be formed, including current Palestinian land and Israel, and the Jews should live under a Palestinian government.
you can see what a useful propaganda tool they have been to arafat and anyone else that wants to make this point. actually, i personally think that this will eventually be part of the resolution of the settlements - after all, if they are concerned about inhabiting the biblical land of israel, the nature of the state should be irrelevant. also, i don't see why anywhere in the world should have the right to say "no jews" (or "no arabs" for that matter) and, in the long run, this applies just as much to hebron or wherever. but this is not a vision that is easy to articulate in today's climate of hatred and intolerance. think how much things will have to change before any jews, let alone militant settlers, would consider trusting a palestinian state to protect them and their families. and there's the rub.

I wonder what citizenship the NK followers holding this view and living in Israel have. I read that some of those who live in Israel do not take any help from the government.
this is often said, not only by NK, but by other anti-zionist ultra-orthodox groups. it's a useful PR point for them, although what happens in practice is they start off by not paying any taxes and then find ways in which it is permissible to take state handouts. it's part of why the haredim (ultra-orthodox) are not at all popular in some sectors of israeli society.

I am not sure how it is possible to not take anything from the government while living in a country - e.g., you use a road that the government maintains, then you are using something that the government provides.
precisely!

By the way, is the word 'anti-semitic' being used in place of anti-Jew? I read that both Jews and Arabs are semitic by race. But 'anti-semitic' seems to be used often to describe something or someone against Jews.
this is a common misconception based on the term "semite". however, the correct dictionary definition of antisemitism is hatred of jews, not hatred of semites. some arab propagandists use this particular technique ("i'm a semite too! how can you call me antisemitic?") to enable them to deny that they are anti-semitic (since it is this that is denounced in national and international law and institutions) whilst promoting jew-hatred to the best of their ability. there are corresponding terms "anti-arabism" and "islamophobia". this is also not helped by the tendency amongst many right-wing jews to characterise all criticism of israel as antisemitic. israel-bashing (as i call it, rather than anti-zionism, which is far more of a technical definition if you ask me) us becoming more and more of a problem as the israelis start to care less and less what the outside world thinks of them as they think they will be criticised and condemned whatever they do, so why bother?

P.S. 'Shalom' means peace - right? What does b'shalom mean?

"in peace". a bit pretentious i know, but hey.

b'shalom

bananabrain

bananabrain,
Apologies to you for not responding sooner to your reply. My professional life has been keeping me too busy, and it has chewed away and encroached considerably into my personal time. So, I have been visiting this site on and off, but not replied to you because I wanted to give a considered response - and I need a relatively 'untired' (and coherent ;)) brain for that!

Thanks so much for sharing your Jewish insight, and clarifying some of my questions. I agree with you, that a more permanent solution should ideally ultimately involve the equal participation and rights of both Jews and Palestinians, and as you aptly pointed out, the current long-standing hatred and distrust between them doesn't forbode such a solution. However, the dismantling of Jewish settlements from Gaza may in time pave the way for a minimum level of trust to return, but will also depend on how the new Palestinian leadership plays its cards. God willing, both sides will give another chance for peace and resolution of this longstanding issue.

And certainly, I am, b'shalom!

Indogenes

Back