misleading info on books/websites

Actually, the Church of Jesus Christ (which was the first name of the undivided LDS church) did indeed believe itself separate from Christianity. Describing itself as being the "Restored Church."

kiwimac

Former LDS Elder

I think that's a nuance.

Regards,
Scott

I noted your definition of dogma and the list you supplied top-most including:

a religious doctrine that is proclaimed as true without proof
* a doctrine or code of beliefs accepted as authoritative; "he believed all the Marxist dogma"

As the Administrator of this forum and being involved in a lot of these discussions now and with us Baha'is, I was wondering how you personally regard the religions on this forum ..Maybe share what your own convictions are. But perhaps you'd rather not. It's your choice to respond to that.

But I would suggest Baha'is would respond to that above definition of "dogma" that each person must seek the truth for themselves or be involved in what we call the independent investigation of reality. We are not to simply accept a belief because say our family accepts it or because of an authority figure dictates it. So the emphasis to us in the area of belief is on personal search and acceptance rather than dictation.

Along with this personal search for truth is a principle called "consultation" where we consult on matters and attempt to arrive at "truth" or guidance for a particular sitiation.

- Art

Art,

I once, a zillion years ago, had a cousin that had become a Buddhist which prompted a lot of discussions about religion. He suggested that the Baha'i Faith was a "doubt" faith. I liked that. The idea that if we doubt something, we are told to investigate it to find the Truth. It is through doubt that truth will arise. That surely isn't describing a "prescription" of rituals and belief systems, but instead a direction by Baha'u'llah to investigate and consult to arrive at all Truth.

Mick

Back