Why is Jesus called son of God?

rasifnajeeb

Reaction score
I would like to know why only Jesus is called son of God.
Jacob is God's son and firstborn: "Israel is my son, even my firstborn" Exodus 4:22.

Solomon is God's son "He shall build an house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom for ever. I will be his father, and he shall be my son": 2 Samuel 7:13-14.

Ephraim is God's firstborn: "for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn." Jeremiah 31:9 (who is God's firstborn? Israel or Ephraim?).

Adam is the son of God "Adam, which was the son of God." Luke 3:38

These quotes are figurative saying God has adopted these people as his own and rule/loves/care/chastises them as a father would. One of the parts of the trinity is God the father. He is their father just like he is all of their fathers. Mary was actually impregnated by the Holy Spirit without the help of a man. So Jesus is actually his son.

rasifnajeeb said:
I would like to know why only Jesus is called son of God.
Jacob is God's son and firstborn: "Israel is my son, even my firstborn" Exodus 4:22.
In this quote is referring to the whole people on Jacob. He is saying the people are his adopted children. And as a first born have share in his inheritance.
rasifnajeeb said:
Solomon is God's son "He shall build an house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom for ever. I will be his father, and he shall be my son": 2 Samuel 7:13-14.
This is simply what I sated at the top
rasifnajeeb said:
Ephraim is God's firstborn: "for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn." Jeremiah 31:9 (who is God's firstborn? Israel or Ephraim?).
Again it is referring to the whole people but this time it is being used to show that Ephraim was made first.
rasifnajeeb said:
Adam is the son of God "Adam, which was the son of God." Luke 3:38
This is the only one that doesn’t apply to my above statement. But God created this person from the dust of the world so he has no true father other than his creator God but with Jesus it is different. Mary is impregnated by the wholly spirit thus is the actual son of God. There is an Idea about the trinity that goes into more detail but I have to go now.

That in my sight is being selective. What make us think that only in the case of Jesus it is not figurative; and in all other cases it is figurative? How is a person reading the Bible for the first time without knowing about the Trinity come to that conclusion?

According to the Bible, He was a son of God, like we all are sons of God. But he is a prophet like none of us are.

"And when he would have put him to death, he feared the multitude, because they counted him as a prophet." - Matthew 14:5

"And the multitude said, This is Jesus the prophet of Nazareth of Galilee." - Matthew 21:11

"But when they sought to lay hands on him, they feared the multitude, because they took him for a prophet." - Matthew 21:46

"And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people:" - Luke 24:19

"The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet." - John 4:19

"Then those men, when they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, said, This is of a truth that prophet that should come into the world." - John 6:14

"Many of the people therefore, when they heard this saying, said, Of a truth this is the Prophet." - John 7:40

What did Jesus HIMSELF say?

"Nevertheless I (Jesus) must walk to day, and to morrow, and the [day] following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem." - Luke 13:33

And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house. - Matthew 13:57

Rasifnajeeb your biggest problem is that you’re looking at this through Protestant eyes. I would agree with you. Armed only with the bible most theological doctrines don't make any sense and there is very little evidence to believe many of them that is why Protestant Theology makes no sense. However the bible isn't meant to be the only set of authority in Christianity. Something many people miss and unfortunately many Christians miss is that Christianity existed about 350 years before the bible was formulated. Many theological Ideas where formulated before then. Christianity’s doctrines created the bible not the other way around. It is meant to be a compliment to Christian beliefs not a source of them. SO it doesn't matter if the answer isn't directly in the bible it is in The Nicene Creed which holds more authority.

rasifnajeeb said:
That in my sight is being selective.

Your posts also seem to be pretty selective, and I think that there is enough writing in the Bible to selectively quote Jesus as either the Son of God or as a human prophet. But I don't think this is a question that can be answered in a book.

If there was a passage in the Bible where Jesus says "I am the Son of God," would a skeptic be any more convinced?

The question of who Jesus is, I think, is a matter of faith. Although I believe that the Bible is all truth, I don't believe that all truth is in the Bible. The Spirit speaks to those who will listen, and when he speaks to me it is very clear that Jesus is the Son of God.

The difference between Jesus and the other sons of God mentioned in the Bible can be summed up with Jesus' own words: What's born of the flesh is flesh, and what's born of the Spirit is spirit.

Marsh said:
Your posts also seem to be pretty selective,
Yes, it is true I am being selective. I find verses supporting both views (which are quite contradictory). On one view, there is not much doubt. It is something, which is presented as the ‘only’ view of the Bible. That is the reason, I am quoting the other view.

Marsh said:
If there was a passage in the Bible where Jesus says "I am the Son of God," would a skeptic be any more convinced?
No, a skeptic wouldn’t be convinced because of the following. Can Jesus be both Son of God and a human Prophet? As this is not possible, when two such contradictory statements are available in the Bible, the following justification holds true.

· One statement is false and the other is true.

· Both statements are false.

So one of the statements necessarily has to be false. Which one? How does one go about finding that?

Marsh said:
The Spirit speaks to those who will listen, and when he speaks to me it is very clear that Jesus is the Son of God.
You believe (listen to what you believe) that Jesus is Son of God because you have been taught like that from childhood. And I believe that he is a Prophet because, I have been taught like that from childhood. One of us is wrong. I want to find out, who is wrong. Because salvation is an important thing. You die once, there is no second chance. I don’t want to be caught dead (pun intended) in the wrong belief.

So believing in one over the other without sufficient proofs would not be logical for such a major decision.

Marsh said:
The difference between Jesus and the other sons of God mentioned in the Bible can be summed up with Jesus' own words: What's born of the flesh is flesh, and what's born of the Spirit is spirit.
What about Adam? Is he born of flesh?

rasifnajeeb said:
No, a skeptic wouldn’t be convinced because of the following. Can Jesus be both Son of God and a human Prophet? As this is not possible, when two such contradictory statements are available in the Bible, the following justification holds true.

· One statement is false and the other is true.

· Both statements are false.

So one of the statements necessarily has to be false. Which one? How does one go about finding that?

Actually Jesus can be both the Son of God and a human prophet because a Prophet is someone who speaks the word of God. Now who better to do this than God himself? Jesus has two natures one human and a divine one. Thus it is very easy to see that Jesus is a Prophet (one who speaks the word of God) and the Son of God. SO really neither has to be false.

I love it when people tell me what I believe :)

rasifnajeeb said:
You believe (listen to what you believe) that Jesus is Son of God because you have been taught like that from childhood. And I believe that he is a Prophet because, I have been taught like that from childhood. One of us is wrong. I want to find out, who is wrong. Because salvation is an important thing. You die once, there is no second chance. I don’t want to be caught dead (pun intended) in the wrong belief.

Actually, I believe that Jesus is the Son of God not because I am a robot and have been programmed to do so. I believe that Jesus is the Son of God because in that belief there is hope, and I have found none elsewhere.

To me the title of "Son" isn't very important because Jesus isn't a son to God like I am a son to my parents. I think "Son" is the best word that we have to describe Jesus' relationship to God, but it isn't enough; we're handcuffed by our own language. What is important is recognizing who Jesus is compared to you.

Jesus said that whoever does the work of his Father and follows his Father's commands is his mother and sister and brother. If I follow God's ways, then Jesus is my brother. What's important about that? Well, if you believe that Jesus is more than a human being, then you understand that right now you have family-- a brother-- sitting at the right hand of God. That's a pretty important connection to have;)

One of us is right, and one of us is wrong? Not necessarily. We could both be wrong, couldn't we? Or we could both be right: Remember, all things are possible with God. But when it comes down to the decision of whether to believe in Jesus or not to believe in Jesus, one will never find enough physical evidence, or a good enough logical argument, to make the choice for oneself. It's a matter of faith.

Good day to all.

I submit that for a person new to Christianity, the wisest way to read the Bible is from the begining of the New Testasment. "Babes should be given milk, not meat..." And the first book that should be read is that of John. Why? It is to the point within the first ten seconds of reading. It catches the attention. "For God so loved the world, he gave up His only Son..." Then after familiarization with the New Testament, go and research the Old Testament (they aren't called new and old for no reason...).

As I learned the hard way in learning Islam, as smart as we think we are, when it comes to something foreign, we are "babes in the woods". Even in our own faiths, we may be deficiate. That is why we have "elders" and "old folks" who've been around the block a time or two.
Maybe they know something...

v/r

Q

When we first read a text in the Bible it seems our natural inclination is to rake it at face value. However the context of a text is important as well as some other background information. Bellow is some insight into the relationships of first born sons and background information that might lead to a better understanding as to why called others his sons.

But first Adam could be called a son of God because he was the “crowning achievement“ of Gods earthly creation.

Jesus is known as the Son of God because he was gods son here on earth as well of the firstborn of ALL creation.

Now according to God’s promise to Abraham (the Abrahamic covenant), His due time had arrived for Him to deliver the nation of Israel from “the iron furnace” of Egypt. God considered Israel as his firstborn son by virtue of the promise to Abraham. When Jacob went down to Egypt with his household, he went down voluntarily but his descendants later became slaves. As a nation, they were dear to God as a firstborn son, and God had the legal right to deliver them from Egypt without the payment of a price. (De 4:20; 14:1, 2; Ex 4:22; 19:5, 6.)

At Romans 9:4 Paul speaks of the fleshly Israelites as those “to whom belong the adoption as sons and the glory and the covenants and the giving of the Law,” and this evidently refers to the unique position granted Israel while they were God’s covenant people. Thus, God, on occasion, spoke of Israel as “my son.”

From earliest times the firstborn son held an honored position in the family and was the one who succeeded to the headship of the household. He inherited a double portion of the father’s property. (De 21:17) Reuben was seated by Joseph at a meal according to his right as firstborn. (Ge 43:33) But the Bible does not always honor the firstborn by listing sons according to birth. The first place is often given to the most prominent or faithful of the sons rather than to the firstborn.(Ge 6:10; 1Ch 1:28; compare Ge 11:26, 32; 12:4; )

The firstborn came into considerable prominence at the time that God delivered his people from slavery in Egypt. Among the Egyptians, the firstborn were dedicated as sacred to the sun-god Amon-Ra, the supposed preserver of all the firstborn. The tenth plague that God brought upon the Egyptians served to discredit this god and showed up his inability to protect the firstborn. By obeying God’s instructions concerning the slaying of a lamb and the splashing of its blood on the doorposts and upper part of the doorway of their houses, the Israelites did not lose their firstborn in death, whereas all the firstborn of the Egyptians, of both man and beast, were slain. (Ex 12:21-23, 28, 29)

Since the firstborn sons among the Israelites were those in line to become the heads of the various households, they represented the entire nation. God, in fact, referred to the whole nation as his “firstborn,” it being his firstborn nation because of the Abrahamic covenant. (Ex 4:22) In view of his having preserved their lives, God commanded that “every male firstborn that opens each womb among the sons of Israel, among men and beasts,” be sanctified to him.

God also designated certain individuals within Israel as his ‘sons,’ in a special sense. Psalm 2, attributed to David at Acts 4:24-26, evidently applies to him initially when speaking of God’s “son.” (Ps 2:1, 2, 7-12) The psalm was later fulfilled in Christ Jesus, as the context in Acts shows. Since the context in the psalm shows that God is speaking, not to a baby, but to a grown man, in saying, “You are my son; I, today, I have become your father,” it follows that David’s entry into such sonship resulted from God’s special selection of him for the kingship and from God’s fatherly dealings with him. (Compare Ps 89:3, 19-27.) In a similar way God said of David’s son Solomon, “I myself shall become his father, and he himself will become my son.”—2Sa 7:12-14; 1Ch 22:10; 28:6.

Leah was the first one to marry and bear children for Jacob, but it was so only by a deception worked on Jacob. Rachel was the one he loved and bargained for, and hence it was to Rachel’s offspring that the birthright was to go, though Jacob’s offspring by Leah were older. (Gen. 29:18-28) Sarah was the beloved wife of Abraham, and it was to her offspring Isaac that the birthright went, even though Abraham’s son Ishmael by Hagar was older. So it was with Rachel’s offspring Joseph. However, Joseph became no tribal head in Israel, but his sons Manasseh and Ephraim did. Manasseh was the older, but divine direction caused the better blessing to go to Ephraim. Of him God said: “Ephraim is my firstborn.” (Gen. 48:8-20; Jer. 31:9) However, the tribe of Ephraim later eliminated itself from this favored position by many derelictions, and the psalmist tells of God’s action: “He refused the tabernacle of Joseph, and chose not the tribe of Ephraim: but chose the tribe of Judah.”—Ps. 78:9, 67, 68.

With Joseph, by Ephraim’s failure, eliminated, Rachel’s other offspring, Benjamin, had to have its chance. That opportunity came with Saul’s anointing as king, for Saul was a Benjamite. At 1 Samuel 13:13 it speaks of the possibility of Saul’s kingdom being established forever; but we must remember that the Hebrew word here translated “forever” is ohlahm. As shown in previous Watchtowers and in the “Let God Be True” book, this Hebrew word means a period of concealed or indefinite time, not necessarily for everlasting. True, Jehovah God knew before time that the kingdom would not remain in the house of Benjamin; but it was Saul’s own presumptuous and faithless course that caused his loss of the kingship for his household and tribe. The mere exercise of Jehovah’s power of foreknowledge did not actively force Saul to act reprehensibly. On his own Saul acted contrary to the express commands of Jehovah God, fully responsible for these violations in the face of knowledge of his sins.

With the favored Rachel’s offspring having had their chance, the older sons of Leah would be in line for the blessing of kingship. Ahead of Judah were Reuben, Simeon and Levi. All three of these were eliminated by the occurrences mentioned by Jacob at the time of his blessing of his sons. (Gen. 49:3-7) Moreover, later the Levites acted in noteworthy faithfulness and were rewarded by being given the blessings of the priesthood. That would prevent any of their number from becoming king. So Judah was now next in line, and the prophecy at Genesis 49:8-12 shows he would succeed in gaining the kingship, and being the human ancestor of the King who will reign forever, Christ Jesus. Of course, in all this Jehovah was under no obligation to conform to the general practice concerning the firstborn and birthright privileges. He could have chosen whomever he wanted, right at the outset, without eliminating those first in line according to human procedures.

JJM said:
Actually Jesus can be both the Son of God and a human prophet because a Prophet is someone who speaks the word of God. Now who better to do this than God himself? Jesus has two natures one human and a divine one. Thus it is very easy to see that Jesus is a Prophet (one who speaks the word of God) and the Son of God. SO really neither has to be false.
For the sake of continuing the debate, I agree that a person being prophet and God at the same time is not a contradiction.

In my previous post, I have mentioned instances where Jesus says that he is a prophet.
And here is a verses where he says he is not God.
Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone” Mark 10:18

If he explicitly states that he is a prophet and not God, then why still consider him God???
There is not a single verse where he says – “I am God” or “Worship me”.
If Jesus is God or the Son of God then that is his right. The Bible should be overflowing with verses where Jesus explicitly commands his followers to worship him, where God explicitly commands mankind to worship his son, where God explicitly threatens those who do not worship His son with brimstone and hellfire, and so forth.

On the other hand, the Bible contains verses where
God Almighty explicitly commands us to worship Him
Jesus explicitly command us to worship “the Father”.

But, there is not a single verse where
Jesus explicitly command us to worship him, or
God explicitly command us to worship “the Son”

Ben57 said:
Jesus is known as the Son of God because he was gods son here on earth as well of the firstborn of ALL creation.

I'd like to clarify that Jesus isn't God's first creation. Jesus is begotten by the father not created by him. Jesus has always existed. He is “God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father." God spoke things into creation well Jesus is his word which means Jesus played a major role in creation so he can't be a creation.
Ben57 said:
True, Jehovah God knew before time that the kingdom would not remain in the house of Benjamin;
also just for you edification the Word Jehovah is a mispronunciation. Hebrew as I'm sure you know doesn't have vowels and they use accents to make the vowel sounds. Well at some point the Hebrews decided that the name of God was too sacred to be said by anyone other than the high priest on One day of the year. So when you saw the name you would say my lord. But in case someone forgot they added some extra accents so that even if it was just read it would sound like yehovah instead of Yahweh. Add a miss pronunciation of the Latin letter “I” and you get Jehovah when it really should be said Yahweh because that was how it would have been said without the new accents.

rasifnajeeb said:
For the sake of continuing the debate, I agree that a person being prophet and God at the same time is not a contradiction.

In my previous post, I have mentioned instances where Jesus says that he is a prophet.
And here is a verses where he says he is not God.
Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone” Mark 10:18

If he explicitly states that he is a prophet and not God, then why still consider him God???
He never say he's not God. He is a ttempting to get the man to figure it out. TO say I call you good because you are God. That was Jesus's biggest thing was to get the Jews to belive in him not by miricles not by blunt statments that he was God but by faith. he wanted to see if this man had it and he obviously didn't
rasifnajeeb said:
If Jesus is God or the Son of God then that is his right. The Bible should be overflowing with verses where Jesus explicitly commands his followers to worship him, where God explicitly commands mankind to worship his son, where God explicitly threatens those who do not worship His son with brimstone and hellfire, and so forth.

On the other hand, the Bible contains verses where
God Almighty explicitly commands us to worship Him
Jesus explicitly command us to worship “the Father”.

But, there is not a single verse where
Jesus explicitly command us to worship him, or
God explicitly command us to worship “the Son”

When Jesus is resurrected Thomas falls before him and he says "My Lord and My God" Now as we see earlier Jesus is the rebuking kind of person and He says nothing. Thus he is accepting Thomas's statement and his worship.

rasifnajeeb said:

There is also no time where Jesus refuses to be worshiped, but if he was a prophet sent by God surely he would have refused to be worshiped. Take a look at the angel sent to deliver the revelation to John: John tried to worship him twice, and twice he warned John not to do so.

Many times in the Bible different people worshiped Jesus. Off hand I remember Thomas worshiping Jesus after Jesus appeared to him and showed Thomas his crucifixion wounds. Jesus never commanded anyone to worship him, but he also never rebuked anyone. Personally, I think this is a hint to Jesus' real relationship to God, and who Jesus is.

I agree that one might expect the Bible to have references of times Jesus commanded people to worship him, or when God commanded people to worship Jesus... unless, that is, they wanted to keep the point ambiguous.

Think of how much controversy has been created over this question of whether or not Jesus is God, or one with God, or a prophet of God, or the Son of God. It's a controversy that has divided nations, and set empires up against each other. Jesus said that he was coming to divide three against two, and two against three. This ambiguity certainly accomplishes that goal.

Interesting thread.

I've a question for the more theologically literate of you (which means all of you, I'm sure:)), which may have some bearing on the discussion.

I don't have a lot of time to post, so I can't research my question, but at several points in the Gospels, Jesus does refer to himself as the "son of man." What did he mean by this phrse, as opposed to the "Son of man"?

Marsh said:
they wanted to keep the point ambiguous. .
Marsh said:
This ambiguity certainly accomplishes that goal.
You mean to say that God wanted to create doubts in the minds of people. But the Bible says "...God is not the author of confusion..." Corinthians 14:33

rasifnajeeb said:
You mean to say that God wanted to create doubts in the minds of people. But the Bible says "...God is not the author of confusion..." Corinthians 14:33
Yeah Marsh I think you off on this one.

Anyway back to the original point about wither or not Jesus is only human. In Luke 10:18 Jesus claims to have seen Satan fall. The angels fell before humans were created so if Jesus was a mere human this would be impossible thus he must have more than just a human nature.

BluejayWay said:
Interesting thread.

I've a question for the more theologically literate of you (which means all of you, I'm sure:)), which may have some bearing on the discussion.

I don't have a lot of time to post, so I can't research my question, but at several points in the Gospels, Jesus does refer to himself as the "son of man." What did he mean by this phrse, as opposed to the "Son of man"?

I don't know what the difference is when it comes to capitalization. "Son of man" is a title given to the messiah in Daniel. Can you give us an example of when it is capitalized and when it isn’t?

rasifnajeeb said:

But that's just is: It isn't confusing for one who believes. The sheep know the voice of there shepherd: Jesus is my shepherd, and so I hear his voice. Other sheep do not hear it, and therefore do not understand it.

I think there is a difference between being ambiguous and being confusing. When Moses asked God who he was, God replied, "I am." That's pretty ambiguous, isn't it? But it isn't confusing because the point is not who God is in a technical sense, but who God is in a personal sense-- who he is and will be for Moses (a redeemer).

Jesus said that he is one with the Father. I don't know exactly what that means in a technical sense, but I can understand what it implies: When Jesus promises something, he means it, and will deliver. That's good enough for me.

Back