Fundamentals of Islaam

PersonaNonGrata said:
based on the lives of the women in muslim countries..

Um. Okaaay..

Funnily enough, I believe there have been more females in positions of power (president etc) of muslims countries than non-muslim countries.

Third world countries are third world countries - differences between India and Pakistan for example?

show me one muslim country that have been civilised enough to compate with the christians? Life standarts or human rights or respecting the nature or respecting each other or oh man i can see that this religion has some good points though it really is NOT a religion for loving souls..

doing some more research in quran in english, and i assume i will be putting some verses for us to debate on..

till then hugs )

Ok, you bring the Qu'ran in English and I'll bring it in Arabic..

In the period 800-1800 Muslim countries were far more civilised than their Christian counterparts with respect to those facts.

Would the son of a slave have become the leader of the entire nation in the Christian countries during this period? All but four of the Abbasid caliphs were. Where was slavery abolished first? The Islamic states. Even then, with respect to slavery, any mistreatment of slaves would result in their master being punished in kind. Slaves could free themselves through hard work and could only be enslaved during periods of war.

Females were scholars just like males in the formative periods of Islam, especially in the fields of hadith study. It was incumbent upon males religiously and civilly to provide for their wives. If somebody made an accusation against a chaste woman (ie she's a ho), they would recieve 80 lashes in punishment for slurring her in that way.

Christians were historically allowed to worship in Jerusalem until they came with the "Crusades", killing women and children in the process (cutting open their bellies for gold). Heck, they even sacked Constantinople a couple of times, right? Jews were allowed to worship within the Islamic state and even had to pay less tax than the muslims in return for state protection. How were non-christians treated in Europe etc at this time?

In the last hundred years or so, we've seen the degradation of just about every country.

I would point to Western countries as having become morally decadent and uncivilised in this respect - the objectification of women and commoditisation of sex disgusts me.

Similarly, Western governments (hi USA) have installed and propped up dictatorships/monarchys in areas such as the middle east (look at Iran, where the US overthrew the democratically elected government) - regimes based on puritanical and minority opinions of Islam which objectify women in the other way; by projecting male promiscuities onto them and, I agree, limiting their rights and ability to function in society. However, the views of these scholars is not the view of the majority, even if the state does claim to be holding onto the "Shariah".

You claim respect in the chrisitian countries. The holocaust? Respect. Apartheid? Respect. Ghettoisation/segregation of race? Respect.

Look at Hajj in Makkah and you'll see respect. 4 million muslims of all colours and races joining together every year for a singular purpose. Something that has occured for over a millenia. I'll quote a letter by Malcolm X (aka El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz) shortly after he embraced mainstream Islam:

When he was in Makkah, Al-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz wrote a letter to his loyal assistants in Harlem... from his heart:

"Never have I witnessed such sincere hospitality and overwhelming spirit of true brotherhood as is practiced by people of all colors and races here in this ancient Holy Land, the home of Abraham, Muhammad and all the other Prophets of the Holy Scriptures. For the past week, I have been utterly speechless and spellbound by the graciousness I see displayed all around me by people of all colors.

"I have been blessed to visit the Holy City of Mecca, I have made my seven circuits around the Ka'ba, led by a young Mutawaf named Muhammad, I drank water from the well of the Zam Zam. I ran seven times back and forth between the hills of Mt. Al-Safa and Al Marwah. I have prayed in the ancient city of Mina, and I have prayed on Mt. Arafat."

"There were tens of thousands of pilgrims, from all over the world. They were of all colors, from blue-eyed blondes to black-skinned Africans. But we were all participating in the same ritual, displaying a spirit of unity and brotherhood that my experiences in America had led me to believe never could exist between the white and non-white."

"America needs to understand Islam, because this is the one religion that erases from its society the race problem. Throughout my travels in the Muslim world, I have met, talked to, and even eaten with people who in America would have been considered white - but the white attitude was removed from their minds by the religion of Islam. I have never before seen sincere and true brotherhood practiced by all colors together, irrespective of their color."

"You may be shocked by these words coming from me. But on this pilgrimage, what I have seen, and experienced, has forced me to rearrange much of my thought-patterns previously held, and to toss aside some of my previous conclusions. This was not too difficult for me. Despite my firm convictions, I have always been a man who tries to face facts, and to accept the reality of life as new experience and new knowledge unfolds it. I have always kept an open mind, which is necessary to the flexibility that must go hand in hand with every form of intelligent search for truth."

"During the past eleven days here in the Muslim world, I have eaten from the same plate, drunk from the same glass, and slept on the same rug - while praying to the same God - with fellow Muslims, whose eyes were the bluest of blue, whose hair was the blondest of blond, and whose skin was the whitest of white. And in the words and in the deeds of the white Muslims, I felt the same sincerity that I felt among the black African Muslims of Nigeria, Sudan and Ghana."

"We were truly all the same (brothers) - because their belief in one God had removed the white from their minds, the white from their behavior, and the white from their attitude."

"I could see from this, that perhaps if white Americans could accept the Oneness of God, then perhaps, too, they could accept in reality the Oneness of Man - and cease to measure, and hinder, and harm others in terms of their 'differences' in color."

"With racism plaguing America like an incurable cancer, the so-called 'Christian' white American heart should be more receptive to a proven solution to such a destructive problem. Perhaps it could be in time to save America from imminent disaster - the same destruction brought upon Germany by racism that eventually destroyed the Germans themselves."

"Each hour here in the Holy Land enables me to have greater spiritual insights into what is happening in America between black and white. The American Negro never can be blamed for his racial animosities - he is only reacting to four hundred years of the conscious racism of the American whites. But as racism leads America up the suicide path, I do believe, from the experiences that I have had with them, that the whites of the younger generation, in the colleges and universities, will see the handwriting on the walls and many of them will turn to the spiritual path of truth - the only way left to America to ward off the disaster that racism inevitably must lead to."

"Never have I been so highly honored. Never have I been made to feel more humble and unworthy. Who would believe the blessings that have been heaped upon an American Negro? A few nights ago, a man who would be called in America a white man, a United Nations diplomat, an ambassador, a companion of kings, gave me his hotel suite, his bed. Never would I have even thought of dreaming that I would ever be a recipient of such honors - honors that in America would be bestowed upon a King - not a Negro."

"All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of all the Worlds.

Sincerely,

Al-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz (Malcolm X)

(From the AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MALCOLM X with assistance from Alex Haley, the author of ROOTS)

Malcolm X saw and experienced many positive things. Generosity and openheartedness were qualities which were impressed on him by the welcome which he received in many places. He saw brotherhood and the brotherhood of different races and this led him to disclaim racism and to say: "I am not a racist... In the past I permitted myself to be used... to make sweeping indictments of all white people, the entire white race, and these generalizations have caused injuries to some whites who perhaps did not deserve to be hurt. Because of the spiritual enlightenment which I was blessed to receive as the result of my recent pilgrimage to the Holy City of Mecca, I no longer subscribe to sweeping indictments of any one race. I am now striving to live the life of a true Sunni Muslim. I must repeat that I am not a racist nor do I subscribe to the tenets of racism. I can state in all sincerity that I wish nothing but freedom, justice and equality, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all people."

(The preceding material was excerpted from The Autobiography of Malcolm X quoted in an article written by the Institute for Islamic Education.)

Anybody who's been there will agree with him, I certainly do - given his background it is all the more striking.. Islam doesn't preach understanding and is not for a loving soul? I'd disagree with you on that one..

Islam does not allow items such as "collateral" damage when engaged in war.. Islam teaches it don't matter if you're black or white. Islam teaches that women are to be respected and not harassed. Charity for the poor is integrated into it's civil framework.. Islamic states retained and worked on human knowledge (via individuals such as Ibn Sina) throughout the so called "Dark Ages" when "Christians" were torturing and burning "heretics". When "knights" were murdering and pillaging indiscriminantly. While the "holy" Roman empire was in free fall.

It's a shame there are no more truly Islamic states.

It's not Islam or Christianity per se that create or allow miserable social conditions and unconscionable inequities. It is Fundamentalism, regardless of its form (including non-"religious" fundamentalism like fascism), that creates these problems. Both "religions" have a miserable track record when the literal-minded fundamentalists are in charge. The religion of hate is indeed cross-cultural.

Eh, it's not just Islam or Christianity.. Look at the deaths attributable to Stalin (40 million russians?) etc..

Congrats Semantic for the wealth of knowledge you have and thanks for sharing with us. Let me have my thoughts on "Status of Women in Islam".

It's true that there is indeed difference between a religion and its followers. As far as I know, drinking alcohol is forbidded in Bible but I'm sure most of the christians aren't aware about it. Apparently, Islam is suuposed to be followed (with its original spirit) in Saudi Arabia but sadly, there are many practices done in Saudi Arabia that are either too controversal to be agreed upon by all Muslims or they are not according to The Quran and Hadith. For instance, status of women in Saudi Arabia (an probably in most of the Arab countries) is pathetic. Women aren't allowed to work or drive cars. If we recall the history, in the times of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), women took part even in wars, together with men. That was between about 590 AD and 620 AD. On the other hand, women weren't even allowed to vote till 1920 in USA and 1928 in England! My point is that if you see extremists terrorists in Pakistan, Princes' of Arabian countries having tens of dozens of wives or plight of women inder Taliban rule, these things are against Islamic teachings. Islam hasn't anything to do with them. Hitler was a christian. Did anyone hear say that Hitler was a christian and hence christianity is a bad religion?? I saw a scholor on TV pointing out that there were thousands of suicide bombers belonging to tamil tigers of India (active in Sri Lanka) but did anyone said that suicide bombing is a fundamental teaching of HInduism? Let's keep religion and it's followers seperate. There is difference between religion and its followers. Talking about Women's rights specifically, I found this really nice webpage about women rights in Islam. Check this out at http://www.arches.uga.edu/~godlas/Islamwomen.html

About high life standards of christian countries, PersonaNonGrata is overlooking the past. It's a matter of the nature that there are high tides and low tides in different periods. PersonaNonGrata is talking about 2004 only...or only a 1-2 hundred years back. Since the completion of Islam in some 600 AD, Muslims ruled the world when they stuck to the basic teachings of Islam but when they left that and drowned in other pleasures of the world, they started to decline and their decline started after 18th-19th century. Just to remind you of one incident....when Muslims conquered Spain in some 700's AD, Europeon people were in total dark. no education...just beer, horses, farming etc. Muslims developed universities and libraries there and started educating the Europeans. At that time...there wasn't even one concrete road in Spain and there wasn't any concept of lamp-posts on roads. Muslims developed concrete roads and lamp-posts. During those times, that were Muslim scientists who dominated the world. Most of the scientists were miltiple-in-one. For instance, a single Muslim scientist would be expert in Maths, Biology, Astronomy, Geology etc. Muslims contributed in all the technical fields (like Maths, Geology, Astronomy etc). That was a golden era of Muslims. Ufortunately, history speaks itself, that the Muslims got indulged in non-Islamic practices and hence, since then, plight of Muslims has worsened. Let's not forget the history. Muslims ruled Spain for 700 years and Indian subcontinent for over 1000 years. "High life standard" and "development" of christian countries has started just now...roughly after 1700s. Remember, it's not an open war between Islam and Christianity but one shouldn't speak blindly. Do read some history and talk on the basis of facts.

I think PersonaNonGrata will get the answer of his question from the URL I have mentioned above. Do free to ask any other questions

There is always a minority that is mistreated, in every society, regardless of its high moral standards, or lack thereof. There is no perfect system.
Therefore, I have to strongly object to romaticizing the past in the name of any religion. Our versions of what was is inheritly distorted, as history is written from the perspective of the victors. During the "Golden Age" of Islam, many scholars were hard at work translating Greek and Roman text, interpreting them. Someone with the same one-sided viewpoint could very easily argue that Muslim scholars in fact were relying on early Western work.
Slavery, whether "humane" or not, is still slavery. Middle Eastern peoples, Arabs especially engaged in it as actively as Europeans did, and continued to do so into the early modern period. There are various portions of the Qur'an that deal with it, however much it encourages one to act with charity against his or her servants, it does not rule the practice out entirely. There is nothing in the Qur'an that denounces slavery, or punishes those who participate in it.
The very idea that someone would be lashed for "insulting a chaste woman" is in itself, at least in my humble opinion, inhumane. There are much easier ways to go about preventing such undesirable behavior.
As I said before, there are flaws in every system, we simply use what is more practical to implement now. But to blame all your ailments on the big bad _________(insert culture/people/country/religion/creed here) serves no higher purpose. What is taboo for one country is not for others. It's not because Westerners are any more or less perverse than other nations. Just as much of the misconduct you see on TV goes on in the East as in the West. It's simply handled differently. It's not a matter of what is 'bad' or 'good' 'moral' and 'immoral' it's a matter of what is socially acceptable. To judge people based on what you think society 'should' be like, based on what happened in some part of the world several hundred years ago, would be a mistake. As I said before, every system has flaws.

Arsaanj20, you're asking us to do the impossible. Though I value your viewpoint, I can't agree that religion itself can be seperated from its followers. Granted, there is a smear campaign going on, and many people are being grossly misinformed about Islam. But philosophy is just a bunch of poetry if it's not applied to the real world. At some point, there has to be action.
And I don't mean several hundred years in the past. (Otherwise, a Christian could argue, as you did about the Andalus in Spain, that Christianity brought civilization to the rest of the world because of great innovators like Leonardo DaVinci, a Christian, who came up with models for airplanes, tanks, and cars, several hundred years before their inventions, while the Ottomans were still on horseback, and Guttenberg invented the printing press, and so on....) How can one learn about a religion, beyond books and other media? The followers of a religion, good or bad, represent the religion itself. Whether a few fundementalists here or a few extremists there are not applying the rules of Islam, doesn't change that. If no nation in the world is willing to implement the rules of a religion, as you see them, and quote what is convenient for their regime, it doesn't look really good for the religion as a whole. Wrong or not, no prominent Muslim country will step up and publicly condemn Saudi Arabia for its human rights violations.

Well.. A key differential is the fact that Islam was implemented as a state system for a significant period of time, something which was not the case with Christianity (one could argue about Judaism).

The followers of Islam in the current climate are, by and large, standard people (as it were) - some good, some bad. All live in non-Islamic (as in implementation of law) countries - there is no condemnation of human rights in Saudi because most other countries have a secular law system - be it a dictatorship or a "democracy".

The Qu'ran and hadith literature clearly limit slavery to pow's only - it would, quite simply, have not been sensible to do otherwise in the formative period of Islamic state development. What would have been better, killing all captives? Slaves could manumit themselves, own property and it was strictly impermissable to harm them (look to Qu'ran and hadith for penalties) - punishable by the State statutes no less. Slavery was better than serfdom - the sheer number of high positions of slaves who were either freed, or indeed freed themselves or individuals who were born of slaves paints a telling picture with regard to "societal acceptability". The position and treatment of slaves within the Islamic and non-Islamic world through the middle ages was worlds apart - indeed, even at the turn of the century, race relations and slave bigotry was far more pronounced than it was at any time. Indeed, if you look the mukatab, you can see the concept is essentially one of blood debt - the slave was the individual who would otherwise have been killed (being captured in battle in a situation in which prison was not possible) - hence the slave could manumit himself by paying off the blood debt. The conditions for slavery were restricted from caliph to caliph until during the Ottoman Empire, there was no longer any need for the institution and it was effectively no longer possible.

Any body who does a study of Islamic philosophy/science can readily see that there were new innovations and developments building on the prior work of the Greeks etc. It doesn't make sense to go and rebuild the wheel - we do not do so today, we take from esteemed scholars and thinkers and work on their theories and ideas, do we not?

Of course, in one's analysis of the "moral" acceptability or "value" of a given system, one cannot be totally objective. Why? Because, as mirrorinthefog has indicated, there is no agreed upon absolute for morality or goodness. As a muslim, my goodnesscompass is delineated by the actions I believe are in accordance with the Shariah, the will of Allah (swt) and my own imperfect understanding of this. I acknowledge that as a result, this will not the same as a non-muslims perspective on the issue as he, quite simply, will not have the same perspective on life as I do (a challenge which builds towards the hereafter).

Similarly, I constitute religion not as a social phenomenon, but as a Divine revelation sent to guide and assist humanity. This is, again, my absolute, so I judge my religion not by the imperfect and culturally inebriated practices of certain members of the community, but rather by the original message and essential abstraction of it's rules and dicates as I believe were revealed to us. That is how I learn my religion, through reading of it's dictates from individuals with a direct chain back to the Prophet (pbuh) who carry on his legacy. Of course, this works on the basis of my faith that this process is epistemologically correct - the Truth is conveyed exactly as I believe in a Divine who has preserved his message (the dhikr). But that's where I'm coming from. And that's the centrality of the issue - tawhid..

Over a billion muslims in the world, mostly divided between the very rich and the very poor. Quite a change over the last century and a bit (hi oil).. Some good, some bad, some nutty. None in a muslim country however.. Kinda sad.

So, we can talk about it as an abstraction (ie this is what Islam really says) - an abstraction I believe a large number of people follow, or we can discuss it on the basis of Islam as a socio-cultural phenomenon, which will go beyond the base texts (Qu'ran, hadith etc) and introduce external elements.

Interestingly, the situation that we have at the moment plays into our end-of-times prophecies (come on, every religion has to have one at least ;)). The degradation of the state of the Ummah and practice of religion is something that occurs after every Messenger (pbut) - this is the final degradation before all hell breaks lose.. So the bad treatment of minorities is, alas, something to be expected and will only get worse :(

Semantic said:
The followers of Islam in the current climate are, by and large, standard people (as it were) - some good, some bad. All live in non-Islamic (as in implementation of law) countries - there is no condemnation of human rights in Saudi because most other countries have a secular law system - be it a dictatorship or a "democracy".
With all due respect, why is it that secular Western nations are more upset with Saudi applications of Sharia, than Eastern states, secular or not, with heavy Muslim populations, who should rightfully be outraged at their misdeeds and their abuse of Islamic doctrine?

As for slavery, there are many verses in the Qur'an that discuss slaves who are not prisoners of war, though it does speak of treating them "humanely". However, it makes no efforts to abolish the practice. Arab merchants traded slaves with Europeans, and they took no pains to make sure that the Europeans would treat them well.

[4.25] And whoever among you has not within his power ampleness of means to marry free believing women, then (he may marry) of those whom your right hands possess from among your believing maidens; and Allah knows best your faith: you are (sprung) the one from the other; so marry them with the permission of their masters, and give them their dowries justly, they being chaste, not fornicating, nor receiving paramours; and when they are taken in marriage, then if they are guilty of indecency, they shall suffer half the punishment which is (inflicted) upon free women. This is for him among you who fears falling into evil; and that you abstain is better for you, and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

With all due respect, why is it that secular Western nations are more upset with Saudi applications of Sharia, than Eastern states, secular or not, with heavy Muslim populations, who should rightfully be outraged at their misdeeds and their abuse of Islamic doctrine?

Most Eastern states have more pressing social issues to address within their own countries due to the breakdown fo the societies within them. As Islam becomes increasingly culturalised, they look to the extreme interpretations as, to an extent, desireable as they have lost their own direction. Indeed, this is why we see pockets of literalistic interpretation popping up. However, I did not say that these were abuses of Islamic doctrine/misdeeds - I just said they were historically extreme minority positions and interpretations that have only now come to the fore as the Ummah has lost the concept of taziqiyyah and by extension the importance of iman and ihsan. Without a grasp of maqasid Shariah - the aims of the Shariah, these interpretations have become increasingly ritualised as can clearly be seen by reading the legal responsum of groups such as the CLRO in Saudi - the traditional diversity of Islam is ignored for a variety of reasons. I personally don't see how these minority positions can be correct, especially in light of the somewhat spurious logic that the various fatwa contain in many respects, but the aforementioned pr and image portrayal of Islam works in more ways than one - Saudi is looked to by the cultural muslims as the opposite of Western secular trends as a more strict and possibly correct version of going about things, which, given it's extension of minority positions (as opposed to creation of new positions), adds to it's percieved validity.

I haven't seen any of the Western states do anything about it - where are the sanctions? Any action whatsoever? There was widespread condemnation of the Taleban if I can recall, especially having worked with several Muslim female groups..

Having said that, I've worked with a wide range of Islamic female groups who have worked for this goal.

As for slavery, there are many verses in the Qur'an that discuss slaves who are not prisoners of war, though it does speak of treating them "humanely".

Which ones? Islamic scholars through the ages have been under agreement that the only way to become a slave is to either be captured in war or be born of slaves. There were slave girls as well as slave guys. Slave kids too (produced by two married slaves). Previous methods of enslaving an individual were banned. As time went by, more and more groups were exempt from slavery until it was effectively impossible.

However, it makes no efforts to abolish the practice. Arab merchants traded slaves with Europeans, and they took no pains to make sure that the Europeans would treat them well.

Those activities were against Islamic law and were cracked down on during most caliphates..

So, are we speaking of Islam as a socio-cultural phenomenon, or will we work from the positions of Islamic scholarship and the original texts of revelation?

Semantic said:
Most Eastern states have more pressing social issues to address within their own countries due to the breakdown fo the societies within them. As Islam becomes increasingly culturalised, they look to the extreme interpretations as, to an extent, desireable as they have lost their own direction. Indeed, this is why we see pockets of literalistic interpretation popping up. However, I did not say that these were abuses of Islamic doctrine/misdeeds - I just said they were historically extreme minority positions and interpretations that have only now come to the fore as the Ummah has lost the concept of taziqiyyah and by extension the importance of iman and ihsan. Without a grasp of maqasid Shariah - the aims of the Shariah, these interpretations have become increasingly ritualised as can clearly be seen by reading the legal responsum of groups such as the CLRO in Saudi - the traditional diversity of Islam is ignored for a variety of reasons. I personally don't see how these minority positions can be correct, especially in light of the somewhat spurious logic that the various fatwa contain in many respects, but the aforementioned pr and image portrayal of Islam works in more ways than one - Saudi is looked to by the cultural muslims as the opposite of Western secular trends as a more strict and possibly correct version of going about things, which, given it's extension of minority positions (as opposed to creation of new positions), adds to it's percieved validity.
Would you not agree with me, then, that the human rights violations that occur under these regimes, are condmened by the Qur'an, or are simply unnacceptable to humanity at large, as it would be in any other country?

Thank you for clarifying a few things. There are pragmatic and entirely political reasons for the West not intervening with Saudi Arabia, none of which I personally agree with, and would probably be better saved for the politics boards. But I would like to ask you how many of the many movements you mention working against human rights violations in Muslim countries are funded by major Muslim organizations, and how many of those efforts are embraced by the status quo?

I understand that you're trying to keep the conversation in the sphere of what is written in holy scripture, rather than its various cultural applications, and I respect that. However, I believe (and this is just my view of things) that such doctrine is not, and perhaps cannot, properly applied to the modern world, and when religion is made a vehicle for politics, and religious dogma is applied as law, repricussions can be dangerous. Islam not only brings a new way of worshiping the one God, but also laws which the Ummah must follow.

Semantic said:
Which ones? Islamic scholars through the ages have been under agreement that the only way to become a slave is to either be captured in war or be born of slaves. There were slave girls as well as slave guys. Slave kids too (produced by two married slaves). Previous methods of enslaving an individual were banned. As time went by, more and more groups were exempt from slavery until it was effectively impossible.
The last portion of my previous post quotes one many verses dealing, albeit indirectly, with slaves. Since I'm assuming women were not taken as prisoners of war, the slaves mentioned are in the latter category, which I still find an abhorrent notion. The bans you are talking about I've never encountered in the Qur'an (that, for example, no Muslim could ever again acquire another slave), so they would fall under the realm of cultural interpretation, not the Qur'an itself. The Qur'an itself does not punish or condemn those who practice slavery, in any way, shape or form, under any guise, under any excuse, whether it is profiting from those who were born into captivity (which seems a whole lot like punishing the child for being born in a lower caste), or those enslaved in war and must try to 'work their way out of' slavery.

Anyway, I can appreciate your viewpoint, Islam is admirable in its teachings in many ways. I just believe that, like other philosophies, it has its flaws. Whether this comes from its misinterpretations (or, as you put it, "extreme" interpretations) or some of the doctrine, as in Judaism and Christianity, is obsolete, or is not of any divine origin, is probably a subject best left untouched, since neither of us can change the other's mind. I'll agree to disagree.

Would you not agree with me, then, that the human rights violations that occur under these regimes, are condmened by the Qur'an, or are simply unnacceptable to humanity at large, as it would be in any other country?

Under the interpretation I hold of the holy scriptures on the basis of the work of the majority of Islamic scholars over the ages I personally view the activities that occur in some of these countries incorrect. However, please note I didn't say that minority means incorrect, I am not so arrogant to assume that there is only one path to truth. To quote: "I believe my opinions are correct, but I am cognizant of the fact that my opinions may be wrong. I also believe the opinions of my opponent are wrong, but I am cognizant of the fact that they may be correct". I'm pretty sure of myself though (eh, I'm young - soon I won't be old enough to know everything).

The activities that go on there are, sadly, not something that are unacceptable to humanity at large. I doubt your background entitles you to speak for humanity (I'm assuming you're Western) as the mass of people live in relative poverty under patriarchal systems of social law.

Thank you for clarifying a few things. There are pragmatic and entirely political reasons for the West not intervening with Saudi Arabia, none of which I personally agree with, and would probably be better saved for the politics boards. But I would like to ask you how many of the many movements you mention working against human rights violations in Muslim countries are funded by major Muslim organizations, and how many of those efforts are embraced by the status quo?

Quite a few in the West in particular, especially at the scholarly level.. The problem of course being that countries such as Saudi have money. Heaps of it. You find Saudi "translations" of the Qu'ran and books of law based on these minority positions being disseminated muslims communities all over the world, nice and free and glossy and backed with vigorous funding. I mean, look to the 9/11 hijackers - how many of these were Saudi? How many were Iraqi? What happened? The battle for hearts and minds is a tough one indeed..

I understand that you're trying to keep the conversation in the sphere of what is written in holy scripture, rather than its various cultural applications, and I respect that. However, I believe (and this is just my view of things) that such doctrine is not, and perhaps cannot, properly applied to the modern world, and when religion is made a vehicle for politics, and religious dogma is applied as law, repricussions can be dangerous. Islam not only brings a new way of worshiping the one God, but also laws which the Ummah must follow.

See below for a discussion of the (very) basic construct of Islamic law and its relationship with the Shariah (the two aren't the same). Dogmatic issues are lessened by the structure of Islamic law.. Although a discussion as to what level they remain at is beyoned the current scope of this discussion (it's a looong one). There isn't a state that practices an Islamic form of government today - there is no khaliphate. In the absence of this, the laws we have kick back from the macro level and emphasise the building of an Islamic state within ourselves - we have to control our inner state and be the best muslims we can, building on community and helping one another out. This is why I'm wary of discussing the current state of things - it's not the way it once was and different sets of rules apply in the absence of an Islamic state legislature (no more hadd punishments for example, although certain countries try to ham fistedly apply them).

The last portion of my previous post quotes one many verses dealing, albeit indirectly, with slaves. Since I'm assuming women were not taken as prisoners of war, the slaves mentioned are in the latter category, which I still find an abhorrent notion. The bans you are talking about I've never encountered in the Qur'an (that, for example, no Muslim could ever again acquire another slave), so they would fall under the realm of cultural interpretation, not the Qur'an itself. The Qur'an itself does not punish or condemn those who practice slavery, in any way, shape or form, under any guise, under any excuse, whether it is profiting from those who were born into captivity (which seems a whole lot like punishing the child for being born in a lower caste), or those enslaved in war and must try to 'work their way out of' slavery.

Women can be taken as prisoners of war.. If there is a pitched battle during which the males of a community are taken captive, the women and children would not be able to survive in their absence. For Islamic law, we look to a number of factors, working mainly from Qu'ranic injunctions and our hadith literature (speaking as a Maliki sunni muslim) - the axiomatic basis that I choose to follow for my own interpretation is detailed here. The hadith act to specify (takhsis) the message of the Qu'ran. For example, we are told to pray, but the hadith tell us what times of day and how to do this. Similarly, the structure of Islamic governance mandates that the ruler of the Islamic state and qualified scholars of a given age can come to a consensus regarding an action deemed in line with public interest considerations and enact it into law, provided it doesn't contradict existing statements that are based on clear evidences - a rule that establishes freedom (hurriyyah) outweighs one that negates it. The Shariah is an abstraction - what human mind can know the will of the Divine? Our fiqh is our attempt at interpreting this Divine will - it is an attempt at achieving the ideals and purposes of the Shariah (maqasid al-Shariah), ie looking out for the welfare of the people (tahqiq masalih al-ibad).

The fiqh is not the Shariah - Shariah is a term co-opted by those who see themselves as on the truth. While the Shariah is immutable, the fiqh is not, these two are often conflated. Hence we do not look at only the Qu'ran for law, we use it as a foundation from which we build the law. Our texts punish ill treatment of slaves and repeatedly call for their equitable treatment as brothers and sisters. If a slave is harmed, he is freed immediately. If he is killed deliberately, his master faces the death penalty unless the slave has family to whom he can pay a blood debt (which they may or may not accept). For those enslaved in war, why is it wrong that they must "try to work their way out of" slavery? War is a nasty, nasty thing as we can see in Iraq today. What else should be done with them? Imprisonment? Execution? Look at what happened in WW2. Huh? Where are all the unaccounted?

If the enemy side was still extant after a battle, there was always the option of fida (ransom). If there would be no ill effects as a result and good will could be increased, they could also be set free there and then or in exchange for other pows - this was the recommended action as can be seen in the example of the Prophet (pbuh), see the battle of Hunain and subsequent treatment of pows for example. For example, at the battle of Badr, some of the captured were freed for ransom, others were freed once they had acted as writing teachers for the children of the Ansar - that was their mukataba..

Given the social pervasiveness of slavery in Arab society at the time, any outright abolishment would have completely destabilised the society. The Islamic state had social responsibilities towards all within it - muslims, non-muslims all - these could not be fulfilled with a sudden change of society that removed existing structures of providence (ie the master providing food/shelter for all he had authority over). With the introduction of Islam, slaves gained state protected rights which put them far above the serfs of middle age Europe - effectively putting them on the level of indentured servants. Again, I would indicate this is a significant distance from the slavery we have seen anywhere else - indeed, I don't think you'd disagree that Islam condemned all other forms of slavery (maybe it's a bad word, very emotive, isn't it?). People are born into poor homes or ghettos today - I've worked with kids from inner city schools who recieve substandard education which will, quite simply, not allow them to progress. Those born of slaves became rulers of the entire Islamic nation on numerous occasions. I could list examples of the progeny of slaves who occupied all offices within this state, became prominent scholars of all colours and races. If children were made free while their parents were still indentured, what would occur? Who would provide for them? Their parents master? If you were a slave, the onus was on your master to provide for them as he himself was provided for - with food, shelter etc. Negligence in this led to state sanctions. Any slave who was fit and healthy, as I mentioned before, could free himself via mukataba - the only slaves who could not do this would be the old or infirm, who would stay in their masters service and be provided for within this construct. Hence many did not accept freedom even when offered.. Qu'ran 24:33 is interesting.. If a slave asks for freedom via mukataba, he should also be given enough to establish himself in life.. Makes sense, doesn't it? Shame it didn't happen in America this century.

An example. Interest (riba) is prohibited in Islam as there is always a loser. If somebody wished to change the current system of an interest based economy in a given country to one that was interest free, then they would not do it by categorically banning all interest based transactions given the social pervasiveness of these. Unless they wanted the entire economic system to collapse that is. Freeing of slaves was recommended for this reason - it stands out as clearly defined as a morally right thing to do in the Qu'ran itself. It's included as part of our institution of zakat. The public treasury had a permanent head dedicated to freeing slaves by paying off their debts from the state coffers.

Anyway, I can appreciate your viewpoint, Islam is admirable in its teachings in many ways. I just believe that, like other philosophies, it has its flaws. Whether this comes from its misinterpretations (or, as you put it, "extreme" interpretations) or some of the doctrine, as in Judaism and Christianity, is obsolete, or is not of any divine origin, is probably a subject best left untouched, since neither of us can change the other's mind. I'll agree to disagree.

:)

But at least you can hopefully learn of the traditional view of things that the majority held onto.. The diversity of thought in fiqh has sadly become constricted :(

As for changing of minds, Allahu alim.

I hope I've helped somewhat, I apologise for the length of some of my posts, but there was a heck of a lot more I could have written.. I'm just an ordinary muslims and this is just my own personal view on things, so I'm sure some of my brothers and sisters will hold differing ones. Breakfast time, peace out.

Semantic said:
Eh, it's not just Islam or Christianity.. Look at the deaths attributable to Stalin (40 million russians?) etc..
Right. I included non-"religious" fundamenatlism in my post.

I wasn't going to post anything, but I think I need to clarify a few things.

Semantic said:
Under the interpretation I hold of the holy scriptures on the basis of the work of the majority of Islamic scholars over the ages I personally view the activities that occur in some of these countries incorrect. However, please note I didn't say that minority means incorrect, I am not so arrogant to assume that there is only one path to truth. To quote: "I believe my opinions are correct, but I am cognizant of the fact that my opinions may be wrong. I also believe the opinions of my opponent are wrong, but I am cognizant of the fact that they may be correct". I'm pretty sure of myself though (eh, I'm young - soon I won't be old enough to know everything).

The activities that go on there are, sadly, not something that are unacceptable to humanity at large. I doubt your background entitles you to speak for humanity (I'm assuming you're Western) as the mass of people live in relative poverty under patriarchal systems of social law.
You're assuming wrong. My parents are both Muslim, I was raised in the Middle East. I don't know what position you are in that you think you can 'teach' me your traditional view of a patriarchal society, which I lived in till adulthood and do not agree with on many, many levels. I'm trying not to argue because the arguement will go on forever.
I don't claim to speak for humanity; what I'm talking about are generally accepted violations, human rights you may or may not agree with, depending on what the Qur'an has to say about it. When someone else is physically and systematically harmed because of a group's interpretations, "minority" or no, as far as I'm concerned there is serious a problem-ie, the system, practice, or application of a the philosophy is flawed. You don't have to agree with me.
The relationship between the Qur'an and the hadith, and the place hadith should have in the application of Islamic law has long been an arguement, which, not being Muslim, I don't wish to get into as I don't believe it's my place to intervene, otherwise the orguement, as you pointed out, will go on forever. I am of the opinion that neither is a reliable source of information, and, like any other religious doctrine, is fatal in the wrong hands. Again, this is strictly my point of view. Muslims believe that the Qur'an is divine in origin, and the hadith is its message in action.

[/QUOTE] Women can be taken as prisoners of war.. If there is a pitched battle during which the males of a community are taken captive, the women and children would not be able to survive in their absence.
[/QUOTE] Women cannot survive without men? I have survived without the help of a man on my own and quite well, thank you. I know many, many women, yes, in patriarchal, Middle Eastern, Muslim society, who have survived in the absence of men. The Prophet's first wife owned several caravans which the Prophet operated, she was wealthy in her own right in an oppresive, patriarchal society, and commanded a great deal of respect in pagan Arabia, where women were treated virtually like cattle. I don't think you are not doing a woman a favor by imprisoning her because her someone in her family participated in war and lost.
And I think this might be what PNG was implying.
Please do not try to justify the system. You speak of an economic collapse. As far as the pagans in Mecca were concerned, Islam and the Prophet's teachings robbed them of their economic freedom. It was a revolutionary movement for its time and completely eliminated certain societal inequalities.
You may find your arguements perfectly just, and in it's own context it is reasonable and humane. I simply do not agree with your view.
Either way, as you can see, there are many things in Islam with which I do not agree. This doesn't mean you don't have a right to present it as you see it, or to introduce it to the world as you believe it should be introduced. You're entitled to your own opinon, as am I, and I would not like to discuss this topic further, as the arguement will go on forever and would prove counterproductive.

You're entitled to your own opinon, as am I, and I would not like to discuss this topic further, as the arguement will go on forever and would prove counterproductive.

My apologies for offending you..

In War, people die.. Systems go to ruin.. In 600 AD, a woman could not survive on her own if she did not have resources to fall back upon - eg Khadija had caravans as you yourself said.. She had the protection of her tribe and bodyguards against bandits.. I personally can't see what else could be done in a war situation. As I've indicated, they were freed more often than not..

My point about patriarchal society was that most people (ie in the world today) don't have the same concept of human rights as you or I. Women aren't viewed as equals. I didn't say it was right, I just stated a fact.. I stated earlier that I disagree with the treatement females recieve in some of these countries and believe it is against their rights as I see it.

We agree that we are both entitled to our views, I presented it as I saw it as the purpose of this thread was to answer queries about Islam and muslims perceptions of certain issues. The onus is thus on me to justify the system I believe in, is it not? If this conversation is becoming eminently unconstructive in your eyes, then I agree we should stop.

As a final point in this particular thread, most muslims believe the hadith are divine in revelation too..

Peace.

Back