Why?

neon_sheep

neon_sheep
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was just thinking that it would be interesting to hear why everyone chose the certain religion they chose. Also, why their religion or, perhaps, their lack of religion, is "more correct" or whathaveyou than the rest. I don't mean this in a way where religions and beliefs are put down, of course!
--Taryn

hey taryn-

i wouldn't say i chose my religious tradition (Quaker), so much as found it. it was one of those "i guess i was really a ______ my whole life, but i never knew it" situations, and i'm grateful to have found a religious community where i feel at home and at peace.

i wouldn't say that i find my religious tradition to be superior to others, and i think the phrasing of that questions has the potential to rub some the wrong way. there was a great quote (bananabrain?) refering to judaism in which was said "we do not believe that judaism is the best religion for everyone, just that it is the best religion for jews".

i think the same can be said for other traditions as well.

Hi neon_sheep and welcome to CR. :)

Personal experience draws us to certain areas of human thought and expression, and for each of us, it is a different path, yet in the same landscape. :)

I AM a mix and match, picked out the best fundamental principles the rest is taught to me direct. Guided to what I need to learn, when and why! So do I have a religion I would say no, I have a spirituality that resonates with my soul at this point of its evolution.

Sacredstar

Kind of an old thread but one I felt worth adding to

I myself havent decided what I am maybe someone can help me
I base my beliefs in Jesus but see (no offence to anyone) very little
Truth in Christianity as a whole.
I feel Jewish inwardly but would never be accepted.
I feel a brotherhood with Muslims I cant explain other than I know the feeling
of being a son cast out (from the Bible story again no offence)
I believe in the spread of civilization from the tower of Babel and feel that
almost every religion carried a piece of the truth with them handed down through the ages but cant seem to sort it out through all the myths

I am open minded but not easily swayed I believe what I read but doubt its authenticity unless I can trace its roots.
Reading this I might seem confused But yet feel very secure in my heart.

I long for a Martin Luther a reformer that would dare to take a stand against what is preached as truth. But yet I wouldnt want Him to stop short because of worldly carnal needs.

And yet I believe salvation is as simple as faith. The rest is just a puzzle that we piece together on our way to a closer relationship with God

I would Rather Learn than Teach I would rather teach than sit quietly and listen to something I know is wrong.

Peace

Salaamu Alyckum all

I think it is nice for us to understand each other through believes or religions ,because the person believes reflect his personality and give idea about the average of people that follow his religion , So we can feel that people outside our region are like us , feel and suffer ,think and ask ,learn and taught . this could help in opening our mind to understand others and decrease misunderstandings that cause stereotyping perceptions, or take the behaviours of some people as generalization about the followers of the same religion .

Why Hare Krishna?

The knowledge gives me the most information about the purpose of this material world; about God and the process of self-realization.
Because the chanting of the holy name of God, elevates the consciousness to the platform of love of God, Krishna.
Because there are so many nice details how to develop personal relationship with God, Krishna either as a servant, friend, or lover.
Moreover, the Hare Krishna life style is very pure. No meat-eating; no gambling; no illicit sex; no intoxication. All these four activities are the pillars of sinful life. So being free from them and chanting Hare Krishna it gives already in the beginning happiness that I never had following the Christianity.
Ultimately, I became a Hare Krishna devotee because I don't see that the philosophy is against any other religion. That means in essence - there is one God with many names; and one religion with many names - love for God. I call Him Krishna

I think that's a great question :)

I was brought up Catholic but when I was about 15 I wanted to remove myself from that faith because it didn't feel like it was for me. I tried Wicca, which I found to be a beautiful religion based all around nature but I didn't last long following it, so that didn't work out.

I am now a Spiritualist. There are two main types of Spiritualists, Christian Spiritualist and non Christian Spiritualists. There isn't really much of a difference between the two, the only difference I can think of is that the Christian Spiritualist Churches only let Christians in, whereas regular Spiritualist Churches embrace all religions. I attend a non Christian spiritualist Church for the simple reason that I think it's great how they welcome anybody, no matter which faith or walk of life, whether or not they believe in any sort of God, they don't even have to beleive in Spiritualism. As long as a person is prepared to respect the fact that other people do and be open minded while they are in the Church they will always be welcome.

I still haven't decided whether I want to be a Christian Spiritualist or not, but even if I do I will continue to attend a non Christian Church for the above reason.

When I first walked into the Church I was 15, and it just felt like I had come home and the feeling of love and peace that resonates from every part of the building is amazing. So I kept going back, my Grandma used to go anyway so the family didn't think it was that unusual.

I chose Spiritualism because I had been experiencing things I couldn't explain, and when all logical explainations of what they could be had been explored I decided to seek out answers in the supernatural side of things. Everything Spiritualism taught made so much sense to me, They were my beliefs but until I found Spiritualism, I just thought my beliefs were my own random ones that didn't really belong to any organised religion. When I discovered that they did and that other people believed the same things I was delighted. And that's how I came to Spiritualism.

Lisa x

Hi all,
Spiritulism is out of my mind.It's uncomprehensible for me.I believe in power of mind,pure logic and science and they are the building blocks of my beliefs.I believe in things which make sense,I dont',can't and will never believe in miracles,magic,spirits or supernatural things.I believe God has given us mind to comprehend things and not just accept things by miracles.

"The most incomprehsible thing about the universe is that it's comprehensible"--Einstein.

I had investigated several religions through college classes and envisioned making an independent position of my own. Along the way I tripped across what would become my religion and went to an informational meeting to ask questions - having never heard of it, it was a chance to examine a religion out of the blue. The people were warm, the teachings interesting, and reconciling of the problems of the age and made sense of history in profound ways. It defined the quest for spirituality in ways I had previously thought of in fragments, and gave gravity to the needs of the day. There was much personal prayer and study, and the seeking after religions in some ways continues today,(being a Baha'i makes one suppose there is a truth in all religions and it's my job to find it.) But to join the Baha'i Faith as an avowed member I had an experience which raised the experience from conjecture to certainty, from hope to work....

Certain life experiences helped me relate to sone of the teachings of Buddhism. My story is fairly typical of that of a lot of Western Buddhists - deep, dark, interpersonal stuff.

Basstian said:
Kind of an old thread but one I felt worth adding to

I myself havent decided what I am maybe someone can help me
I base my beliefs in Jesus but see (no offence to anyone) very little
Truth in Christianity as a whole.
I feel Jewish inwardly but would never be accepted.
I feel a brotherhood with Muslims I cant explain other than I know the feeling
of being a son cast out (from the Bible story again no offence)
I believe in the spread of civilization from the tower of Babel and feel that
almost every religion carried a piece of the truth with them handed down through the ages but cant seem to sort it out through all the myths

I am open minded but not easily swayed I believe what I read but doubt its authenticity unless I can trace its roots.
Reading this I might seem confused But yet feel very secure in my heart.

I long for a Martin Luther a reformer that would dare to take a stand against what is preached as truth. But yet I wouldnt want Him to stop short because of worldly carnal needs.

And yet I believe salvation is as simple as faith. The rest is just a puzzle that we piece together on our way to a closer relationship with God

I would Rather Learn than Teach I would rather teach than sit quietly and listen to something I know is wrong.

Peace

Having a multi-faith approach and yearning for a reformer, and one who had a family (the point of carnal needs I think) and pointed to the importance of faith... well I think you should check out the Baha'i Faith, and it's Founder Baha'u'llah. One may start almost anywhere. www.bahai.org for example, but also check within your country/city.... chances are there are at least a few Baha'is there.

Well, I suppose I should preface things by saying I only think my path is more "correct" for me. I don't suppose to know what is best for anybody else. Correctness in choosing a religion is relative to me.

Anyways, I am a Christian mystic and a modern Druid. Although I've found bits of stuff that resonated with my own experience and practices in other religions too, the bulk of my beliefs and practices and experiences of God can be summed up by Christ's teachings (denomination-wise I guess I'd be a blend of Celtic Christian, Quaker, and vague "other" category) and modern Druidry.

I didn't so much choose a religion as I have had experiences from the time I was a young child, which generated a belief system after I pondered on these experiences and prayed over and meditated on them. I was raised pretty much to be a free-thinker and explore whatever I wanted. I found that Jesus always resonated with me, from a very young age, which brought in the Christian aspect of my faith. The Druid aspect I found not long ago. I was doing some research and stumbled on modern Druidry, and surprise!- it pretty much was a summary of a lot of beliefs, experiences, and practices I had long developed on my own.

I don't really consider myself religious. I'm not very structured that way. But I found the closest matches to my own path are the combination of mystic Christianity and Druidry. Ultimately, I just have my unique path, which explains why I believe it is the correct one for me.

I think that is a great question, one which I have asked myself a lot.

I would say a lot of my spirituality has come simply because of the environment I grew up in. I grew up in a Protestant Christian family, one which I believed helped me to nurture a spiritual life of my own. The faith of my Grandparents, Parents, and extended family, I have always felt is a very 'real' faith, both meaning it played an important part in the way they live/lived their lives, but very 'real' also, because the family is based on love, compassion, understanding, acceptance and non-judgement. Life flows from this 'essence' of Christianity, rather than being predominantly dictated by the feeling of restriction/ rules/ judgement.

I'm not sure any more if I would call myself 'Christian', because I personally don't feel comfortable with attaching a label to myself. I love the imagery and poetry of the bible, and this will always hold a lot of meaning for me, and I have learnt a lot and will continue to learn from studying the life of Jesus.

But I also feel if I had been brought up in an environment of a different religion I think I would have sought the essence within that religion - and in the end my belief is in one God, and that love is the foundation and essence of spirituality, so I would have sought that within whichever environment I was raised.

I'm not attending a church as I haven't found one where I feel truly myself and at home. But for the moment it doesn't worry me. I feel comfortable in this kind of 'grey area', always asking and searching, evolving. And seeing the Divine in the daily experience.

I'm at a crossroad. I grew up in a Baptist church and became a believer in Christ having been saved at the age of 13. Of course in my formative teen years I seriously drifted away and got to the point of being nominally agnostic in my early teens. At the age of 22, I have a change of heart and a revival in my life as I reached from a depressed state toward God. I cannot deny that felt a relief over my depressed state and a feeling of forgiveness in me. I credit God for helping me. (I had even found the strength to quit smoking, which I credit God). I found refuge in an Apostolic church. They believe that to be saved one must be baptised in Jesus' name (as opposed being baptised in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit), and have the Baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues. Anyone that did not have these prerequisites was lost. So know I'm thinking that I have to get my family saved again 'cause they are Baptist. It certainly radically narrowed the way to Heaven. But I soon found that the Apostolic church was too shepherdish. They expected me to attend every meeting and if I missed a meeting, they made it out like I committed the sin of adultery. Needless to say, I left this church for a Charismatic Baptist church, if that makes any sense.

When I got married, we joined a regular Baptist church (mostly Filipinos like my wife) in San Diego we felt comfortable with and had a sense of satisfaction serving God through fellowship, prayer, studying the Bible, and spreading the Gospel. Yes, sir, I was one of those who knocked at your door Saturday morning asking if you are sure you are going to heaven and presenting Jesus as the only way. When I left the Navy in 2003, we moved to Southern Maryland and joined a Baptist church there. But we deeply missed our fellow churchmembers in San Diego and never really connected with our current church members for some reason. Probably because their weren't really any Filipinos attending there (Filipinos tend to be Catholic). So we stopped going not soon after joining.

So now not having gone to church for awhile, I have done some soul searching. I started thinking about lost souls.

There are 6 billion+ people in this world. Current estimates put about 2.1 billion in Christianity. But this includes people who profess in name only, and not in practice. It also includes cults and abherrent Christian groups that fall outside mainline Christianity. And people in mainline Christianity who attend church, but never got saved. So it would'nt be a stretch of the imagine if, for the sake of arguement, in my Baptist thinking, that out of 2.1 billion, maybe only 1 billion are true Christians. That leaves some 5 billion people who are lost and going to hell. 5 billion!! That's a lot of souls, lots of souls. That is unfathomable to me. If God is supposed to be victorious and means to have His Name glorified among the nations of the world, He sure doesn't seem to have a good track record.

Currently, I've begun a re-evaulation of my beliefs. I see too many people in other faiths and beliefs that seem to have a bonifide, faith in God. If I am going to keep a Christian perspective, I'd either have to believe that somehow Jesus saves those who have a faith in God albeit a different religion, or abandon the Christian religion in favor of a more tolerant belief. This is a major step for me. What I'm doing now is researching Judiasm since Christianity came out of it. I want to find out why the Jews don't believe Jesus is not the Messiah and finding some really interesting facts. I'm also I'm testing the New Testament with the Old Testament and finding some eye-opening discepancies between the two. In essence, I'm thinking like a Jew. I'd never in a million year imagine I would be exploring Judiasm as a source of faith. Who knew? And no, my wife and kids don't know.

So I'm kinda inbetween religions, hence my avatar of the Star of David with a cross in it.

neon_sheep said:
Hello everyone!

I was just thinking that it would be interesting to hear why everyone chose the certain religion they chose. Also, why their religion or, perhaps, their lack of religion, is "more correct" or whathaveyou than the rest. I don't mean this in a way where religions and beliefs are put down, of course!
--Taryn

When I was twenty five i was looking for something that i could accept without rejecting other religions.... It seemed at the time that the churches and religious organizations I looked into spent a lot of energy dumping on other groups and i found this very inattractive and from a spiritual standpoint rather deadening and stultifying.

Then i discovered some Baha'i books in the local library and read them feeling that if i ever met a Baha'i i would have to declare..or become a Baha'i.

I was also drawn by the progressive principles of the Baha'i Faith.

- Art

I was an atheist for a long time, but I had a vague sense that human beings were capable of being infinately greater than we are at the moment.

A couple of years ago I saw the film, "7 years in tibet" and I realised then that I knew absolutely nothing about the Buddhist faith, which seemed like a serious oversight in these modern times. I borrowed some books from a friend and then went to speak with a buddhist monk at a (sort of) local buddhist centre.

I found that Buddhist teachings fitted perfectly with my own feleings, and the rest is history.

Ah Dondi, you forgot why "bad things happen to good people" and why are "innocent children born with birth defects."

Maybe God isn't that nice a guy after all. It seems he has no power over nature.

Can we petition God with prayer? Or is his mind already made up?

What is the basic essence of God? What is God made of? What does God look like?

I suggest reading HarperCollins "Bible Commentary" for starters, if you really want to learn about the Bible from professionals and not snake oil salesmen.

Back