Virashaivism/Lingayatism?

Heart&Mind

Religious Humanist
Reaction score
I have some questions about ViraShaivism/Lingayatism. I've asked on other fourms and sites, but haven't gotten distinct (but sometimes I've gotten conflicting) answers.

1.) They're considered monotheistic with worship centered on Shiva in lingam form. However, are they against the use of murtis? I've spoken with someone who said that many do have Murthis; especially ones of Virabhadra and Bhairava.

2.) Conversely, is it monotheistic in the sense of STRICT monotheism (in that only Shiva is revered) or can Shiva's family also be included; in that none apart from Shiva are viewed as the Supreme Brahman? Kind of like how Gaudiya Vaishnavites are monotheistic in that they view Vishnu as supreme, but center their worship on his avatars. Another answer I heard was that, his family can be involved, but they are emanations of him.

3.) Since it is a Shaivite school, is Shakti involved in any way?

4.) Is Shiva viewed as a personal deity in this sampraday, or more impersonal/Deistic?

5.) Although the authority of the Vedas are rejected, does that mean that they are completely disregarded? Or are they still viewed as the basis of the faith, but are not infallible or inerrant?

6.) Since the Vedas are not final authority (and concepts like Karma and Reincarnation are generally rejected), are Lingayats considered "Hindu"? Are they viewed as just another Shaivite school or as a separate religion?

Answers will vary because it's a relatively large school, and other groups have some influence over the centuries, or some people wouldn't be as strict as others, mostly just in an effort to be friendly, or get along. I know at least one Virasaiva, and he'll come to temple, etc., because he's also a member of the local Kannada association. So in order to find out what he actually believes, it would take am in-depth interview, not just observation. But I can give you my personal views from reading, and a little observation.

1) against murthies on a personal level, but not for others, and they get along, are not militant about beliefs

2) not strict monotheists, but you can't always tell, because they may appear to be worshipping another deity just to get along

3) Not that I have seen.
4) Personal
5)Not totally disregarded, but much more emphasis on Agamas
6) Considered a school of Saivism by most.

1) against murthies on a personal level, but not for others, and they get along, are not militant about beliefs

2) not strict monotheists, but you can't always tell, because they may appear to be worshipping another deity just to get along

Thank you so much for the answers. :)

Branching from your answers, I have some questions.

1.) While they may not care if other Hindus have murthis, would you say that a Virashaiva would never have any on his or her altar? Or would it depend on how strict they are? Specifically ones of Ganesha and the two forms I mentioned in my OP?

2.) So as long as Shiva is considered the absolute supreme, and the majority of the worship goes towards him, any other Deva could technically be revered as well?

At this point I'm mostly guessing. I think there's probably better info on line on sites specifically about Shaivism, or Virashaivism. http://www.shaivam.org/english/sen-sd-the-virasaiva-religion.htm

I would never say never about any Hindu and their practice. If a person is a result of interfaith (I mean two Hindu sects here) for example, they might honour Mom's side with a Ganesha. These days there is just far less distinction between sects.

Technically, yes, if one sees Shiva (or an other Supreme for that matter) all other Gods are contained within that one. That's one of the main reasons why Saivas and others don't worship Shakti as distinct, or Vishnu as distinct. It's already there within Shiva.

I have some questions about ViraShaivism/Lingayatism.
My answers:

1. Lingayats are Hindus (except for some fissiparists encouraged by missionaries). They worship Shiva only and are not against idols.
2. Only Shiva but many will include Shiva family in imitation of other Hindus.
3. Shiva has all the necessary Shakti.
4. Shiva is everybody's, the whole world. It is not a personal deity.
5. Vedas are completely disregarded and so is caste.
6. Most lingayats consider themselves as Hindus. They consider humans as of soil and after death return to soil (by burial). Daasooha (service) is their motto, so they do not believe in reincarnation and transfer of karmas over lives.

Back