Arab Women suffering in silence?

letmespeak

Reaction score
Can Arab women speak freely and anonymously about the cultural contradictions, differences and dilemmas they encounter? Should they be condemned to contradiction and made to suffer in silence?

What do you mean when you say 'Arab' women? Are you speaking of Saudi Arabia?

Yup, in Saudi women are quite oppressed from the Western point of view.

Arab women in the states? It varies.... they have legal rights, whether those are respected (the laws and the women) in their home may be a different story.

Now if you are speaking of Muslim women around the world... see ACOT above.

What do you mean when you say 'Arab' women? Are you speaking of Saudi Arabia?

Yup, in Saudi women are quite oppressed from the Western point of view.

Arab women in the states? It varies.... they have legal rights, whether those are respected (the laws and the women) in their home may be a different story.

Now if you are speaking of Muslim women around the world... see ACOT above.

Well... "The standard definition of the Arab world comprises the 22 countries and territories of the Arab League, an area stretching from the Atlantic Ocean in the west to the Arabian Sea in the east, and from the Mediterranean Sea in the north to the Horn of Africa and the Indian Ocean in the southeast."

Arab world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a truism that many if not most in the West see Arab and Muslim as one in the same thing. I sometimes have fallen into that trap myself, when I am writing some quick reply off the cuff. And I know better!

Most likely, but our little discussion can enlighten us as a group and others who drive by.

At the risk of stating the obvious, wouldn't it be helpful if you could find an Arab Woman to join this discussion? :D

Doh...they are suffering in silence!

We had MuslimWoman on here for a while...not Arab, but an English woman, converted Christian who became Muslim and after that found a Muslim husband and moved to Egypt.

While in many ways her religious beliefs silenced her. She wasn't suffering in silence but observing in silence.

All that being said, people show up here, they aren't found and drug in forced to discuss....we'd love it if we heard from many Arab women on this board...

We had MuslimWoman on here for a while...not Arab, but an English woman, converted Christian who became Muslim and after that found a Muslim husband and moved to Egypt.

While in many ways her religious beliefs silenced her. She wasn't suffering in silence but observing in silence.

I take it you are making a statement of faith here? Unless I missed the memo, we never heard either way whether she is observing in silence because she chooses to or she is required to.

“But she chose her religion...” (above in several posts).

I might be skeptical of such an assertion. People often sign up for stuff without realizing what they’re getting into, then later find they can’t back out. This is of course a general observation, not limited to the Arab world, to the broader Islamic world, or even to religion. But it applies perhaps more often and with more severe consequences when religion is involved. And it’s one phenomenon that makes me look askance at cultural relativism, the principle that the sacred is unconditionally beyond legitimate challenge by outsiders.

Last edited:
Skeptical is good, but she was pretty prolific on this board and from where I could tell she entered Islam with open eyes, an open heart and a sharp mind.

The story as we know it... MW was a christian, a veteran, an executive..she was in a discussion with a Muslim about women's rights, went to prove them wrong by reading the Quran and fell in love with the text. It took her a while and she traveled to Muslim lands and she converted...later moved and married. The more she studied, the more she self segregated her self to abide by her beliefs.

This has been years, I conversed with her a few months ago. She misses the discussions but not as much as she is attached to her beliefs.

Can Arab women speak freely and anonymously about the cultural contradictions, differences and dilemmas they encounter? Should they be condemned to contradiction and made to suffer in silence?
What bugs me most is gender separation in mosques. You see a sea of man on protracted on thier stomack towards Mecca, not a single female. Have they all been delegated to the basement?

From my understanding they've been delegated to the balcony. or a separate room for prayer... they don't like cameras on their women praying... up and down and prostrating themselves and raising their rears...

the reason women don't pray with men is that men are weak...how do you focus on G!d/Allah when you have twenty female bottoms in front of you? They think our rap videos and plethora of sexuality on our tv screens is appalling... twerking, g string bikinis...on MTV and primetime television... all evidence of how bad we've lost it here.

What bugs me most is gender separation in mosques. You see a sea of man on protracted on thier stomack towards Mecca, not a single female. Have they all been delegated to the basement?

Women are not required to attend the Friday prayers (our Sabbath). However they can choose to do so, but must be separated from men. This is to respect the holiness of the mosque, and prevents one standing in the presence of God whilst being distracted, or thinking inappropriate thoughts.

Back