Cats

How :kitty:s "see" themselves:
2388715_600.jpg

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Reactions: RJM
Little mini cat rant here. Charley, a stray cat that adopted us a number of years ago, has lived her entire life outside. We fed her well, sheltered her from cold, predators and all that, but she remained wild at heart, eating grass and snacking on tree frogs whenever possible. Well, now that she's been an indoor cat since November last, she refuses to eat anything, but the most expensive kibble! I mean, it's not like we were feeding her the cheap stuff. It was a quality name brand cat food, in addition to fresh chicken and fish. o_O

100_8688.JPG

C'mon ya little mooch, do you know how expensive this stuff is...? :D

100_8689.JPG

Tovarish is eating the senior formula Iams brand (she gets it through a mail-order company along with everyone's :kitty: box filler and box liners.) It's either that or I go to the far northeast side of town to pick up her crunchies (they don't sell it in the grocery stores.)

Tovarish has been a Iams :kitty: since she entered the household; Tomodachi and Maneki started eating Iams when I adopted them. All three sometimes nosh on other brands of tinned food as treats.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I actually cook for our cats. Chicken breast, fresh fish. Neither will go near caned cat food. I've been feeding them Purina Premium as well, which when Charlie was outside and up until recently indoors, she ate just fine. For some reason, about a week ago she all but stopped eating. No obvious signs of distress, didn't seem like a hairball issue, so the wife kept trying different things to entice her to eat. No luck.

Then the other day the wife brings home Iams Proactive, which is $3 a bag dearer than Purina Premium. She tore into it! The following day she started eating her chicken again as well. Jackie on the other hand won't go near the Iams and prefers his Purina. Cats! Go figure.

The Trio sometimes will eat goat meat (talk about paying dearly!) There is only one place in Milwaukee that someone can buy that stuff, and they cater to the Muslim community.

Alas, I cannot affort to get any or cook it properly.

As you posted, "Cats! Go figure."

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Don't let them taste the caviar.

I've been around cats most of my life and can honestly say that no two have ever had exactly the same personality. A more resolute creature does not exist. Just try to make one go against there will and send me a post card from the emergency room if you do!
Ah yes! My wife works for a veterinary surgeon... Cats, so quiet, so reserved, and they give no warning. Their fury puts the most aggressive dogs (and vets) in the corner.

Nala the :kitty: travelling to/on a ferry between Italy an Spain (plus a few interactions with pleasant followers of her channel/web site):

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Hana the :kitty:'s in Da House!

She's joined by Maru and Miri (both :kitty:s, too.)
Nala's on the ferry/in Barcelona (I might've posted this earlier in the Video forum):

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Little mini cat rant here. Charley, a stray cat that adopted us a number of years ago, has lived her entire life outside. We fed her well, sheltered her from cold, predators and all that, but she remained wild at heart, eating grass and snacking on tree frogs whenever possible. Well, now that she's been an indoor cat since November last, she refuses to eat anything, but the most expensive kibble! I mean, it's not like we were feeding her the cheap stuff. It was a quality name brand cat food, in addition to fresh chicken and fish. o_O

View attachment 2821

C'mon ya little mooch, do you know how expensive this stuff is...? :D

View attachment 2822
Looks like there was a lot more to Charlie's change in dietary habits than we realized. Apparently Charlie is a lot older than we thought. I showed the earliest photos we have of her to an online veterinary assistant, who is of the opinion she was 3 or 4 at that time. Since her back half was very underdeveloped we had assumed that she was less than a year when we found her. That would put her at 9 or 10, but after checking the meta data from the photo, I discovered it's not 6 years since it was taken, but 8. So Charlie is actually 12 or 13 now.

Veterinary assistant seems to think that due to her past injuries and other physical problems, she's now suffering from acute old age and her organs are starting to shut down. She hardly eats at all anymore, has lost considerable weight and grows weaker day by day. Her prognosis is not good. :(

Looks like there was a lot more to Charlie's change in dietary habits than we realized. Apparently Charlie is a lot older than we thought. I showed the earliest photos we have of her to an online veterinary assistant, who is of the opinion she was 3 or 4 at that time. Since her back half was very underdeveloped we had assumed that she was less than a year when we found her. That would put her at 9 or 10, but after checking the meta data from the photo, I discovered it's not 6 years since it was taken, but 8. So Charlie is actually 12 or 13 now.

Veterinary assistant seems to think that due to her past injuries and other physical problems, she's now suffering from acute old age and her organs are starting to shut down. She hardly eats at all anymore, has lost considerable weight and grows weaker day by day. Her prognosis is not good. :(

We just saved a stray short-haired Tuxedo cat a few days ago and today we gave her to a cageless no-kill shelter.

We just saved a stray short-haired Tuxedo cat a few days ago and today we gave her to a cageless no-kill shelter.
Our other cat, Jackie is a rescued, rescue. He's a tuxedo Maine Coon which is somewhat rare, but the breeder dumped him off at the shelter because he has small ears. Yep that's right, for having small ears. Apparently a less than desirable characteristic for the breed.

Anyway, he was rescued from the shelter by some folks clueless about cats and cat behavior. Basically, he was constantly scolded and often locked in the basement for acting like a cat. They had planned to take him back to the shelter, but a lady my wife use to work with that also knew the family, snatched him before they could and quite literally dropped him on our doorstep, with a note saying please give me a good home.

So we did and he's been with us ever since. Almost 10 years now. Why he kept getting dumped is beyond me. He's easily the best tempered and sweetest cat I've ever known. His one big fault which is actually not his fault, he dislikes being held. Probably because whenever his other family picked him up, it was to toss him in the basement!

So then there's Charlie. She's a semi-crippled stray that wandered onto our property one day. We fed her, gave her shelter and kept her out of harms way. Charlie's definitely a free spirit though and all these years, has remained an outdoor cat. It was just before Thanksgiving last, she finally decided to come inside. Guess we know now, why.

Back