Which part of Jesus's life...

As a newbie to the site, i feel it my duty to give a slighty off-kilter answer to this thread...
If i could be around at any time for jesus' life, i guess it would have to be the crucifixion...
I'd love to try to chop down jesus' crucifix. just to see what he would say.
Would he have a feel for the whole 'destiny' of the situation?
Would a holy force stop me from moving the crucifix?
If i got him down, would he be angry at me?
If i got him down, would he just go and get crucified again?

OR (and i like this idea best) - Christ says 'do not move my crucifix until you have helped all those around me down..' so i and (and my buddies) go about freeing every one of the crucified; it takes a while.
by the time we've got them down, jesus has (of course!) died..

I just get the feeling that there are some things you cant change - no matter how much you try... :)

The fourteenth chapter of John's gospel is, to me, the most heart-warming, lovingly-written, and hopeful chapter in the entire Bible. Jesus spoke to his disciples not only as Lord, not only as father, but even as friend during this long walk to Gethsemene. It seems to me by the frequent questioning by his disciples that he encouraged them to ask him whatever they wanted to, because he knew it was going to be their last chance to do so, at least until his resurrection. It's just a feeling, but when I read this chapter I feel that Jesus' love for his friends was never more clear. I would have liked to have experienced that.

what period of Jesus's life I would like to know ?

I always wondered what Jesus did till his 30's. Was he an ermite? Did he study with John and others like them the same principles about God in the desert ? It's difficult to accept he was only a simple carpenter and he didn't do anything special till his 30's. He had a very special birth and not an easy death. It's really sad we cannot find more about his life.

I would like to have been there for his lessons in carpentry..
his excursions to the Roman lumber yard, his journeys outside of town
in the quest for ..a certain species of tree, perhaps?

I would like to see all the things he was trained in crafting.
(There are a lot of things a person can make from wood.)

The fires outside of Joseph's tent must have been ..somewhat of a spectacle.

re-carpentry lessons

Pet Zepi said:
I would like to have been there for his lessons in carpentry..
his excursions to the Roman lumber yard, his journeys outside of town
in the quest for ..a certain species of tree, perhaps?
I would like to see all the things he was trained in crafting.
(There are a lot of things a person can make from wood.)
The fires outside of Joseph's tent must have been ..somewhat of a spectacle.

Hi Pet Zepi,

How come you are interested in his carpentry lessons ? Joseph and Mary knew from the beginning this was not his destiny. I don't think they tried to guide him in this direction.

alexa

brian said:
If we travel through the Gospels detailing the life of Jesus, which event would you have most liked to have been present at?
I'm going to give a smartass kind of reply. In all honesty, I really would've only wanted to see a miracle or sermon or something. But for the sake of being original, I'd like to have been there when he said 'let he who is without sin...'. Fundamentalism being as constant as it is, I'd like to have thrown a rock just to see what he would've said. Its always been my belief that if you're violent enough to pick up a rock with the intent of killing the sinful, non-believers, etc then you won't simply put down the stone after some armchair sermonizing.

brian said:
If we travel through the Gospels detailing the life of Jesus, which event would you have most liked to have been present at?
Whatever your reason - may I ask why?

The crucifixion, to observe what really went on there.

I would have liked to be at the last supper.
I could imagine how Jesus would be feeling, satisfied, but nervous.
To see him giving bread, knowing that he would die for us, and yet still prepared to go through with it. And even sit and have one final meal with his followers. That is a true leader... I would have loved to be there!

At His first miracle where he made water into a **** load of the finest wine for a bunch of partiers who were already piss drunk :)

... oh and the the guy who said "when He decided to become the prophesied messiah".... (emphasis mine... that's all I have to say about that ;)

i guess i would want to be among the guys that ate the fishes.

Dear mikie8

From mystic experience it has been shown to me that Thomas was the beloved friend, he went to him in the garden and pleaded with him to escape and continue with his mission in another place and land. It is said that in the lost years Jesus went East and also interesting that Thomas also chose to go to India after Jesus passed.

Dear Brian

Good question, well for me it would be the missing years between 12 and the start of his mission. To experience what he experienced.

Love beyond measure

Sacredstar

Hi :)

Im posting to another old thread .. interesting topic and fun to bump so we can see what our new members say.

If I could go back in time knowing what I know now.. I would want to be present at the Last Supper. Yes it would be awe-inspiring to see his sermons and workings of miracles but I believe in those already so I wouldnt need the proof of it. My reason for witnessing the Last Supper would be because I knew as Jesus knew the coming events and his great love for his disciples as he washed their feet. Taking of the communion which would be the covenant between him and his church for centuries to come. Having taken communion my whole life to increase my faith and feeling his presence there.. to do so when he was there bodily would be beyond measure.

It was a tough choice between that and his Resurrection. To witness him in his new body after the torture that was inflicted on him for our sakes. It would be glorious to say the least. I didnt choose this one because someday I will see him in his new body and the glory of it.

Faithful Servant

If I could have known him or just known of him during the whole ministry, I would have liked to have been Simon, the man who was made to help Jesus carry his cross. So he did not have feel like he had to carry it alone and walk to Calvary by himself. I would have told him how much I love him and how thankful I was for him for laying down his life.

I would have volunteered to help him, as the least thing that I could do for the redemption Jesus was going to bring.

I would have liked to have been in the Garden of Gethsemene with him because the idea of that always bothers me - it's so lonely. I would like to think I would pray with him or at least stay awake or stand at his side while he prayed. The only other place I would like to be would be the Last Supper and that's just so I could ask a question: "now, when you say 'as oft as ye do this . . .' do you mean to start a new ritual or do you mean that as often as we celebrate Passover we should think of you and not the escape from Egypt?"

I maybe read these posts too quickly but I didn't see anyone who wanted to see the crucifixion. I know I wouldn't.

Tim

Oh Tim I know what you mean about Gesthame. How sad he was that they wouldnt wait up for him.

No I wouldnt want to see the crucifixion..I found that out quick when I watched The Passion.

Welcome to CR :)

timrevis said:
I would have liked to have been in the Garden of Gethsemene with him because the idea of that always bothers me - it's so lonely. I would like to think I would pray with him or at least stay awake or stand at his side while he prayed. The only other place I would like to be would be the Last Supper and that's just so I could ask a question: "now, when you say 'as oft as ye do this . . .' do you mean to start a new ritual or do you mean that as often as we celebrate Passover we should think of you and not the escape from Egypt?"

I maybe read these posts too quickly but I didn't see anyone who wanted to see the crucifixion. I know I wouldn't.

Tim

hmm...i agree with brian, sitting around listening to Jesus debate with the pharisees would be awesome....the great religous leaders of the day....deep in debate...you know they were longer than what the bible discribed them as......to just hear his wisdom in person....

and to see him hanging out with sinners. that thought has always intrigued me. wondering if he took up their language and stuff. i say this because i know today some christians get razzed for cussing. even though by definition cuss words mean nothing. so i wonder what Jesus stance was on those things. i'm going to assume he didnt because of the parable in 1 corinth 8 about not being a stumbling block to brothers. but still.........

Re: Which part of Jesus's life...the fact that He actually existed!

Everytime I read about Jesus in the Bible, my mind creates a picture of Him. So in "seeing" Him I am currently satisfied. What I really wanted to see, was a secular and historical reference to Jesus by people of influence and political clout, within 100 or so years of Jesus' life on earth. It has taken a long time, but I finally got my wish:

In 115 AD, P. Cornelius Tacitus wrote the following passage that refers to Jesus (called “Christus,” which means “The Messiah”) in book 15, chapter 44 of The Annals:

“Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind. Mockery of every sort was added to their deaths. Covered with the skins of beasts, they were torn by dogs and perished, or were nailed to crosses, or were doomed to the flames and burnt, to serve as a nightly illumination, when daylight had expired.”
Who was Tacitus?

Tacitus, Roman Historian, Senator and Governor of Asia:

Little is known for certain about his origins, although he is believed to have been born in France or Transalpine Gaul (about A.D. 56) into a provincial aristocratic family. We don't even know if his name was Publius or Gaius Cornelius Tacitus. He became a senator, a consul, and eventually governor of Asia. He probably lived and wrote into Hadrian's reign (117 AD), and died 120 AD.

There are many other "secular authors", Other non-Biblical, non-Christian ancient references to Jesus occur in the pagan Roman authors Cornelius Tacitus, Gaius Suetonius, and Pliny the Younger, as well as in the Jewish rabbinical traditions. However, Tacitus was the first If read of, so is the first I wrote on.

v/r

Q

On a more personal note,

Being in the military, I am used to "standing Guard", and maintaining my post for several hours at a time. In this light I will describe a very lucid "dream" I once had.

I'm in uniform with a rifle, standing guard. I have orders to "shoot to kill" anyone who attempts to encroach my post. But I can't look back to see what it is I'm guarding. There is much more to the dream, but the end result is this.

I "hear" this long "breathy" sound behind me, and the sky grows dark, with the air becoming quite still. Finally, I can physically turn around. When I do, I see the body of a man hanging from a cross, then as I look at the face, I feel myself being pulled away from the whole scene (like a first person perspective view of a movie camera zooming backwards).

Of course it caused me to bolt up straight in bed, wide awake, wondering what just happened. I was shaken to the point, that sleep for the rest of the night was impossible. It felt so real, that I remember it to this day, like it was something that really happened, not just a dream.

I know I was doing something important (besides the cryptic illusion of standing guard), I'm just not certain yet, what that important thing was.

Even so, if their ever is a discovery of a "lost painting or text" by a famous genius/artist/writer that shows or speaks of a shadowy figure in blue fatigues and looks like it is wearing a "combat" helmet, and carrying a stick at "port arms" that looks similar to an M-16, standing at the foot of the cross...;)

v/r

Q

Wow that gave me goosebumps. I have had the honor of having messages in my dreams. I had to ask for them but God has never failed to give me one when I asked. One of them is pretty detailed and full of symbolisms..I remember it like it happened to me yesterday not like i dreamt it a year ago.

Did you ask God for interpretation? I have been tempted to tell my dream here but it would bother me if someone made light of something so precious. You've been blessed Im very curious as to what it meant. If he does give you the meaning could you please let me know?

Faithful Servant

Quahom1 said:
On a more personal note,

Being in the military, I am used to "standing Guard", and maintaining my post for several hours at a time. In this light I will describe a very lucid "dream" I once had.

I'm in uniform with a rifle, standing guard. I have orders to "shoot to kill" anyone who attempts to encroach my post. But I can't look back to see what it is I'm guarding. There is much more to the dream, but the end result is this.

I "hear" this long "breathy" sound behind me, and the sky grows dark, with the air becoming quite still. Finally, I can physically turn around. When I do, I see the body of a man hanging from a cross, then as I look at the face, I feel myself being pulled away from the whole scene (like a first person perspective view of a movie camera zooming backwards).

Of course it caused me to bolt up straight in bed, wide awake, wondering what just happened. I was shaken to the point, that sleep for the rest of the night was impossible. It felt so real, that I remember it to this day, like it was something that really happened, not just a dream.

I know I was doing something important (besides the cryptic illusion of standing guard), I'm just not certain yet, what that important thing was.

Even so, if their ever is a discovery of a "lost painting or text" by a famous genius/artist/writer that shows or speaks of a shadowy figure in blue fatigues and looks like it is wearing a "combat" helmet, and carrying a stick at "port arms" that looks similar to an M-16, standing at the foot of the cross...;)

v/r

Q
Thank you for sharing that. It is intense. I am wondering if part of that dream could be your desire to be with Jesus and thank him for being a wonderful savior and you want to protect what is yours.

I dont know, but that dream was for you and you alone to keep with you and maybe someday it will make more sense.:)

Everything starts and finishes with the death and resurrection of Jesus.
I think it is a good thing to keep our hearts close to Calvary and the tomb where God resurrected Jesus. (in spiritual terms of understanding what happened there)

The night I recieved the Holy Ghost, I was praying and seeking God for about 2 hours. Others prayed with me. All I focused on was the cross, Jesus and the blood. He was on a hill and it was dark, in the distance and I was on my knees.
The blood trickled like a little stream down the hill toward me and in all different directions. The more I sought the face of God and His spirit, the closer the cross came to me. The image became clearer with a blue and clear sky and the dark sky faded away.

As I was being filled with the spirit of God, I found myself touching the cross with my face at the feet of Jesus and the blood was like a pool around me. It was the Holy Ghost with Power and Joy and Peace with claimed victory that came to me through the blood that Jesus shed and I will never forget that night and being so close to Calvary.

Back