Breaking initiation or vows?

Heart&Mind

Religious Humanist
Reaction score
If someone were to take religious vows, or take initiation into a particular religious school, but later on down the road they realized that they weren't ready or that they made a mistake, could it be chucked up to impermanence and the fact that maybe they made such a major spiritual step too soon? Or would you consider it more of a slap in the face to the religious tradition and making a mockery of it?

I was initiated into a school of Dharma, and while I don't regret doing it, I wonder if maybe I did it too soon? That maybe I jumped into something that I can't really live up to? What if later on down the road I realize that maybe I took on something that I wasn't ready to take on? That, while grateful for what was done, that I'm not meant to take on the duties of an initiate or priest? All of this considering that I was adopted into a lineage?

Only thing worse than breaking your vows is staying in a belief system or situation that you don't wish to be in.

Of course I didn't join the military because doing such a thing meant the brig.

In extremist Islam that could be worse...

But who wants to be where they dont' want to be...and who that actually cares for the individual would want them where they dont' want to be?

I'm under vows.

Firstly, I think there is a lot to be said for due consideration. One wouldn't take vows on some whim. Years of study should precede it.

Secondly, the vow is serious. You can't take it lightly. Consider the marriage vow, for example. I believe too many people, at the first sign of troubles, just jump out of it, before making a serious effort to make it work. So vows should be considered seriously.

Yes, I broke a vow too, a long time ago. It was heart-wrenching decision over about 2 years.

But the lack of seriousness about it is why we have 'Guru-hopping' and religion hopping.

Course, I'm a traditional sort of person. Still one should not emotionally beat themselves up over breaking a vow, and vows do vary in their importance.

I'm under vows.

Firstly, I think there is a lot to be said for due consideration. One wouldn't take vows on some whim. Years of study should precede it.

Secondly, the vow is serious. You can't take it lightly. Consider the marriage vow, for example. I believe too many people, at the first sign of troubles, just jump out of it, before making a serious effort to make it work. So vows should be considered seriously.

Yes, I broke a vow too, a long time ago. It was heart-wrenching decision over about 2 years.

But the lack of seriousness about it is why we have 'Guru-hopping' and religion hopping.

Course, I'm a traditional sort of person. Still one should not emotionally beat themselves up over breaking a vow, and vows do vary in their importance.

I've been practicing Hinduism for about 2.5 years. And studying seriously for about a year. I was so sure that this was what I wanted, but I'm really not sure anymore.

I've been practicing Hinduism for about 2.5 years. And studying seriously for about a year. I was so sure that this was what I wanted, but I'm really not sure anymore.

In my view, whomever initiated you was being irresponsible. Sounds like that initial euphoria from discovering something new has sort of worn off. It's very common, and the reason why we 'oldies' regard newfound enthusiasm with a 'wait and see' attitude.

Then again, it may just be that natural and temporary period of doubt we all go through. I've been practicing for 40 years and still have those moments. Two and a half years is not a long time. You have lifetimes to figure it all out.

Like everything in this old reality, vows have to be considered on their strength and importance. Vowing to be initiated into a new religion should not be one that comes with a ball and chain attached.

If you originally took this vow with an honest mind and heart, and now honestly believe you may have jumped in too soon, I cannot imagine anyone with any cosmic worth would think wrongly of you for that.

As long as your reasons both then and now are pure, I would think you have nothing to feel guilty about.

Consider the marriage vow, for example. I believe too many people, at the first sign of troubles, just jump out of it, before making a serious effort to make it work. So vows should be considered seriously.
Agreed. I also believe too many people jump into it ...

EDIT
Apologies, Senthil, I missed that this was under Hinduism. My comment was a reflection on my own tradition, not yours, and no criticism was intended.

Agreed. I also believe too many people jump into it ...

EDIT
Apologies, Senthil, I missed that this was under Hinduism. My comment was a reflection on my own tradition, not yours, and no criticism was intended.

Not a problem, I'm guessing there are many similarities regarding vows.

Well, I don't know what kind of vow you took, still, I would say, all you need to do is to have faith, that you are doing what you were meant to do. There are times in our lives when we doubt our decision, but trust me, everything happens for a reason and brings a certain kind of good results. You may not agree right now, but down the road you may find sense in what I am saying, maybe I am writing this because you need to read this....
So good luck exploring life :)

Well, I don't know what kind of vow you took, still, I would say, all you need to do is to have faith, that you are doing what you were meant to do. There are times in our lives when we doubt our decision, but trust me, everything happens for a reason and brings a certain kind of good results. You may not agree right now, but down the road you may find sense in what I am saying, maybe I am writing this because you need to read this....
So good luck exploring life :)
I always say the same thing. The end result is good but you may not understand why something is going on at the time that may not seem to be good.

You sinned.
Repent.

No big deal, pay more attention.

The rules aren't the point, it is trying to make you aware of yourself.

If the form is working against you, it is a wrong direction.

You need more practice.

I gather you wanted to be a priest. We do not know all facts in your case. That is a long course of study and hardly any monetary benefits. Just go to your guru and ask to be excused. And if you have reason to doubt the integrity of your guru, just dump him.

Back