Bhagavad Gita Recited in English

Namaste Jesus

Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Next to the Holy Bible the Bhagavad Gita is one of my favorite religious scriptures. It is however a very long and tedious read. Alternatively, there is an excellent audio version available on YouTube, beautifully and clearly recited in English. Definitely worth a listen.

Next to the Holy Bible the Bhagavad Gita is one of my favorite religious scriptures. It is however a very long and tedious read. Alternatively, there is an excellent audio version available on YouTube, beautifully and clearly recited in English. Definitely worth a listen.

Downloaded this the other night. Only listened to the 1st half hour so far, but I like it. I tried to read the printed version once, but like you say, it's a bit tedious. Much easier to understand this way.

I agree with Emerson and try to read the Gita every few months.

"I owed a magnificent day to the Bhagavad-Gita. It was as if an empire spoke to us, nothing small or unworthy, but large, serene, consistent,the voice of an old intelligence which in another age and climate had pondered and thus disposed of the same questions which exercise us."

~ Aetius

The Bhagavad Gita doesn't really take all that long to read, it's just a bit tedious. It only took the narrator in the video I posted 2 hours, 37 minutes to recite it. Prior to having the audio version, eyes aren't what they use to be, I use to read it through every few months myself. You almost have to do that to fully appreciate it. Much like the Bible, a few hours reading, a lifetime of contemplation.

Ok, I see why I have yet to take this off my bookshelf and read it... It contains the Hindi text. And then the phonetically translation. And then the English translation and then the commentary (which can be more than ten times the actual text.... Over 900 pages long!!

My confusion...this big book on my shelf
. It is however a very long and tedious read.
. And then you said like the bible...
Much like the Bible, a few hours reading, a lifetime of contemplation.
. Which would easily take as long as the book I see in my shelf.
. It takes just 70 hours and 40 minutes to read the Bible through "at pulpit rate," and aloud! It takes only 52 hours and 20 minutes to read the Old Testament, and just 18 hours and 20 minutes to read the New Testament. The longest book, Psalms, will take just 4 hours and 28 minutes.
Long short easy tedious I was so confuddled...

But now the plan is to listen to your link while reading the words... And then go back and check the commentary when confused...

True enough. Speaking individual books though. The Bhagavad Gita is one book, about 700 verses. The Bible is a collection of several books, each taking a few hours, give or take, to read.

I like, A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada's full English translation of the Gita myself,

https://www.amazon.com/Bhagavad-Gita-Paperback-Bhaktivedanta-Swami-Prabhupada/dp/0892131349

That's the one being recited in the OP, but there's also a condensed version of the Gita. Bhagavad Gita for Busy People by, Sri Swami Sivananda.

http://www.dlshq.org/download/gita_busy.pdf

I've just finished the intro.... the split between the families, the gamble and cheat, the expulsion and return...and the preparation for war...and how Krishna came to be with Arjuna.

Well seeing how yous guys are tawking about the Gita is like me witnessing the "Vishva-rupa darshan" [aka Virat-rupa] form of Krishna.

I found on google this clipped summary:
"Then Arjuna desired to see the Lord as everything in the universe and that led to the vishwaroop darshan. I have always wondered as to what could be the meaning of vishwaroop darshan for an ordinary man like me. For me, it is enough to read that God is everything and everything is God. What is the ..."

And like Arjuna, I quiver and wonder agog ---a very nice mellow while it lasts, as it lingers.

Glories to Krishna's pastimes with his cousin Arjuna!
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

SUGGESTION:
If you like the Gita, record an audio recording of you yourself reading aloud the text.
And play back and listen to your recitation.

I'd think it would be compelling and affecting. And good for one's elocution too.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
BTW:
I post A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada's full English translation of the Gita myself on 45 cards.

BUT IMO AS POSTED ---IT'S NOT LEGIBLE ENOUGH TO ENJOY. BUT IT STILL SHOWS A CHARTING-OUT OF THE TOPICS AS THE TEXT GOES ON.

I SHOULD RE-POST WITH A BETTER SCANNED ORIGINAL [These were jpegs via copy/paste of PDF that was compiled via a xerox machine scan. Better I scan manually at high resolution ---and then re-upload to this forum]

But should bother now or later?

Bhagavad-Gita Complete on 45 Flash Cards
https://www.interfaith.org/community/threads/12740/

Back