The two slit problem

Discussion in 'Science and the Universe' started by Zimcat, May 28, 2017.

1. Zimcat

Zimcat New Member

Anyone familiar with this experiment? I'm trying to read into in abstractly to possibly explain the purpose of secrecy for the control of an outcome for example. Can it be used to explain a veil?

2. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea Well-Known Member

Could you elaborate on secrecy and veil? Not sure I understand the context. Secrecy from what? And are we talking about an actual veil?

3. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

You are going to need to explain this...starting with the two slit particle wave discussion thru your analogy....

4. StevePame

StevePame Administrator Admin

Agreed.

5. Zimcat

Zimcat New Member

Trying to get back on that train of thought :p . What I meant was the part of the experiment where first they could see the interference pattern until they got closer and tried to measure it, then it went into a predictable pattern (just two lines). From that I associated measuring light with gaining control of the outcome, what caused the interference pattern was not able to be revealed hence "veil". The interference pattern then being associated with expanding possibility (the multiple lines) So by measuring it becomes a way of gaining control over the outcome on one end and certain methods being hidden in order for the new possibilities to be able to take place.

6. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea Well-Known Member

The way you ask your question throws me completely, I'm not aware of the language you use in this context. Like Gaining Control and things being Hidden. I only had pre-university physics and I remember the experiments even though is was a while ago. My I ask what your sources are? It might help me with the context.

7. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

I believe she is indicting that like the particle/wave issue....

When you look close at mystery... It eludes, changes to something else...

Zimcat likes this.
  8. juantoo3

juantoo3 ʎʇıɹoɥʇnɐ uoıʇsǝnb

I'm still not fully certain I am following but it reads to me like a variation on the Uncertainty Principle and / or Observational Effect

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/heisenbergs-uncertainty-principle-is-not-dead/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_effect_(physics)#cite_note-Belavkin92-18

I'm not so certain this can be applied in a philosophical manner directly. :p

9. Zimcat

Zimcat New Member

"I'm not so certain this can be applied in a philosophical manner directly." Worth a try :D

10. juantoo3

juantoo3 ʎʇıɹoɥʇnɐ uoıʇsǝnb

I'm uncertain it will work and concerned observation may influence the results... ;)

But one can always give it a try...I'll even try not to peek if you wish if you think it would help.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Zimcat likes this.
  11. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens Admin

Eventually, what's happening with the two-slit experiment, is that a single photon (particle) is going through both slits at the same time -- is able to be in two places at once? Like a bullet hitting two separate targets. So you have a single particle behaving like a wave? Which a single particle cannot in theory do.

But when you try to follow its path, to find out how it's performing this impossibility, it reverts back to behaving like a single particle, and can only be observed going through one slit or the other -- not both? Something like that?

12. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai Moderator

Gee, the same thing happened to me once after a Hindu Pandit and myself polished off a bottle of Bounty Rum in Fiji!:D

RJM Corbet likes this.