Do you use affirmations?

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I just can't do this.

This is to hard...

These are affirmations.... Not positive ones, not beneficial ones.

Affirming a negative cements you into that negative belief.

Unity thought on affirmations...

http://www.unity.org/prayer/affirmations

We prefer affirmative prayer, not beseeching prayer... Also denials are part of a process to.change.. The killing off of the old self, old doubt, old.self doubt and affirming a new tomorrow...

I'd be interested in folks of.other faiths and denominations views on belief in changing your mind, attitude, thoughts and affecting your present and future by doing so.

"I die daily" ....Paul

An acorn has to die to become an oak tree...

I rather think it depends who the prayer is addressed to: God or the self.

I believe it ain't no post office... All is heard, don't need an address or postal code.
OK — that's your belief.

My belief: I think when you're talking to yourself, you're talking to yourself; when you're talking to God, you're talking to God.
Two entirely different things. Different order of dialogue — in fact I'd describe your affirmation as a monologue.

Meditation, prayer and contemplation are three stages in an ascent, stages in the transcendence of being.

Last edited:
It is my belief I've got the fast pass at an amusement park... But yes, afrimative prayer, meditation and contemplation r us.

Isaiha 65:24

it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.

Matt 6:8

Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

While the topic was affirmations.... And changing your conditions by changing your perception and attitude...

Prayer is obviously connected...but as She hears all.... Our thoughts are prayers...

Twas a big topic in Sunday school. Kids saying they pray for a better relationship with their parents... I ask them if their words in prayer coincide with the words they think when they have to do the dishes, clean their room, do homework or now the lawn, or are told they can't watch TV, or go out with their friends....what thoughts occur more? What does G!d hear more? The prayer of a better relationship or negative thoughts and grumbles?

OK.

More often than not, it's your ideosyncratic use of terms highlights differences and distinctions between us that might or might not be useful/accurate. I certainly don't see the cosmos as 'an amusement park' and I find that term telling in terms of how one perceives the world. If I were being literal I'd say I don't see the world as a place created for my entertainment, but I'm not so sure that's how you mean it?

It seems to me the differences between us boil down to what the Japanese would speak of as tariki and jiriki, both terms derived from Japanese Buddhism.

Tariki: 'other power' or 'outside help'
Jiriki: 'one's own strength'

What distinguishes them is where the focus lies — the former with 'the Other' and the latter with 'the self', yes?

The Abrahamics are fundamentally tariki through-and-through. That's not to ignore jiriki, indeed the emphasis is on jiriki towards tariki. I'm not sure Unity has any dependency on tariki at all.

The development of Unity, it seems to me, in looking at wiki's biography of its influencers, is the increasing focus on the mind — this from Quimby and Fillmore — in which the mind is positioned centre and God becomes increasingly abstract, in the sense of what's the difference between god and the 'inner self'?

I certainly don't see the cosmos as 'an amusement park' and I find that term telling in terms of how one perceives the world.
It is the most amazing, most amazing thing I know of. You are correct, no man made amusent park can compare. This life is one unparalleled roller coaster ride of ups and downs, flips and turns...

Note, analogies are just analogies, they are never equal to the thing, but a similar way of.looking at things...a few words utilized instead of thousands...

Just looked up prayer in the Bible Metaphysical Dictionary:
All through the Scriptures, the different attitudes of mind necessary in prayer are pointed out. We are told to be instant in prayer, to pray with the Spirit, to pray in understanding. We have thought that prayer was something we could go to, in any way, at any time. But we have learned that to get results, we must pray with persistence and understanding, and with faith. This practice establishes a consciousness where doubt cannot enter. Jesus was in this consciousness. Is it possible for the ordinary man? Yes. But he must watch and pray. He must not only pray; he must watch also. These are the seven necessary conditions for true prayer:
1. God should be recognized as Father.
2. Oneness with God should be acknowledged.
3. Prayer must be made within, in "the secret place" (Psalms 91).
4. The door must be closed on all thoughts and interests of the outer world.
5. The one who prays must believe that he has received.
6. The kingdom of God must be desired above all things, and sought first.
7. The mind must let go of every unforgiving thought.
The type of activity you describe does not meet conditions 3 or 4?

Note, analogies are just analogies, they are never equal to the thing, but a similar way of.looking at things...a few words utilized instead of thousands...
Quite, but the words then need to be accurate ... 'amusement parks' are places of sensuous escapism from the real world — they are utter fantasy.

Just looked up prayer in the Bible Metaphysical Dictionary:

The type of activity you describe does not meet conditions 3 or 4?
Again....you seem to think the topic of this thread is prayer...

It is affirmations... You have derailed it to focus on prayer... If this were the topic...just prayer... I agree fully.

I am speaking of our entire waking, walking talking life...

Does one focus on the positive? Affirm the good? Or get caught up in negativity?
I'd be interested in folks of.other faiths and denominations views on belief in changing your mind, attitude, thoughts and affecting your present and future by doing so.

Again....you seem to think the topic of this thread is prayer...
Was it not?

We prefer affirmative prayer, not beseeching prayer...
Which I took to mean prayer (as this is belief and spirituality) rather than psychology?

... and quoting St Paul was, in that case, a complete red herring, surely?

No, the thread title is affirmations... I'll repeat though

It is my fault, I should not have put in that paragragh.

I die daily... Killing off negativity of yesterday to create a new today

And again...the discussion I had intended on steering towards...
Not to dismiss your sidetrack completely, as I said, I've enjoyed the contemplation.

Back