LoVe aNd ReLiGioNs ... ?!?!?!

ame

aMe
Reaction score
I have a question regarding love and religion, it could be very obvious for some people but it is not for me so I will really appreciate if some one could help me with this.

What happens if a Muslim guy falls in love with a Christian or Catholic Girl, will the girl have to change her religion or will she be accepted by the Muslim community??:confused:

What happens if it is the opposite situation, and the girl is the muslim one and the guy is Christian or Catholic, will it be the same or it will be worst or best??? :confused:

Do Muslims arrange weddings? or they only can married someone from the same religion??:confused:

hello )))

hey i live in a muslim country so let me tell you what...
since they accept christ (isa) as a prophet that was sent by the same god/allah they respect christians however if the parents-relatives are radical believers then you may need to watch the movie 'not without my daughter'

he needs to be circumcised ;)

yes they do arrange weddings with other religions' believers as well

by by

From what I've experienced both in the US and abroad, cross-religious marriages are fairly common. Culturally, however, families from more conservative backgrounds may not be welcoming of their son or daughter in law, depending on the country.

I'm sure other members will be able to give you more detailed answers as to the religious regulations concerning marriage in Islam.

ame said:
I have a question regarding love and religion, it could be very obvious for some people but it is not for me so I will really appreciate if some one could help me with this.

What happens if a Muslim guy falls in love with a Christian or Catholic Girl, will the girl have to change her religion or will she be accepted by the Muslim community??:confused:

What happens if it is the opposite situation, and the girl is the muslim one and the guy is Christian or Catholic, will it be the same or it will be worst or best??? :confused:

Do Muslims arrange weddings? or they only can married someone from the same religion??:confused:
Alsalamu Alyckum

ame,if a christian girl want to marry a Muslim man ,she is welcome and accepted by the Islamic community ,I know many of christian women married to a muslim man and they still christian ,but the opposite situation was unacceptance in Islam because the children follow their father name and religion .
We arrange wedding similar to your wedding . In Islam the two main conditions is the acceptance between man and woman and two witness on their agreement to save the right to both sides .

Regards

why do the men need to be circumcised???

That's an interesting question, actually...

Where did the practice of circumcision originate in Islam?

I would also be very interested to learn the reason for its requirements :)

ame said:

why do the men need to be circumcised???

Al Salamu Alyckum

ame ,I think for healthy purpose but I didn't no how.

Assalam-o-Alaikum,
mirrorinthefog said:
Where did the practice of circumcision originate in Islam?
From the Prophet Abraham(peace be upon him). This is recorded in Sahih Bukhari as well as Sahih Muslim.
mirrorinthefog said:
I would also be very interested to learn the reason for its requirements :)
The practice of circumcision is one of the salient features of the religion of Islam. It is from amongst those things that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) encouraged his ummah to follow as it was the way of Prophet Abraham (pbuh).
Furthermore circumcision is an important aspect of cleanliness,which is so strongly emphasised in Islam, for when the foreskin is not removed, urine and other secretions can collect under the folded skin.This area can become the site of very painful infections from bacterial growth and the minor operation of circumcision greatly simplifies basic hygiene for men and boys.
Hence it is a greatly meritorious Sunnah as well as physically beneficial to perform this act. However, it is not a pre-requisite for conversion to Islam.

Hope this answers your question.

ame said:

Assalam-o-Alaikum,
Although 'Friend' answered your question, I would just like to add a couple of points.
In this situation, conversion to Islam is not a pre-requisite for marriage to take place with the Christians and Jews. They can very well stay Christians and Jews. Please note that marriage outside of Islam is allowed only with Christians and Jews. For example, a muslim man is not allowed to marry a hindu girl. Just wanted to make that clear.
Hope this helped.

why a muslim man is not allowed to marry a hindu girl??? If there is love why te religion is a problem?????:confused:

I may be "jumping the gun" here, but I believe that the prohibition on marriage outside "the Top Three" is because Jews and Christians are considered "People of the Book" (I think that's the term. Please correct me if I'm wrong.) Although Christians and Jews don't refer to G!d as Allah, they do acknowledge the Higher Power that the Muslims call Allah while religions outside of this triad don't (at least, not necessarily.)

Again, I ask of the experts to correct me if I'm mistaken. :)

(My humblest apologies if I may offend any Muslim by not adding the little "addendum" after the term you use for the Higher Power, but I never can seem to remember the correct letters, and I really don't wish to offend anybody.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

ame said:
why a muslim man is not allowed to marry a hindu girl??? If there is love why te religion is a problem?????:confused:
Assalam-o-Alaikum,

I believe, the following example will make the reason clear.
If you fit truck tires on one side and bicycle tires on the other side of a single vehicle, will it run smoothly? Ofcourse it will not.

Marriage is sacred and should be planned seriously. You must understand that be it a country, or city or town or village... it is built on families. i.e. the family is the very building block of society. Therefore, the importance of family and family-building is very clear. And it is no surprise to me that Islam plans long-term for marriage.
As far as the 'People of the Book' are concerned, we share the essential basic beliefs with the Christians and Jews as opposed to Hindus. So, it can still work.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine said:
Although Christians and Jews don't refer to G!d as Allah, they do acknowledge the Higher Power that the Muslims call Allah while religions outside of this triad don't (at least, not necessarily.)
Arabic-speaking Christians and Jews use "Allah" instead of "God". "God" is used by English-speaking people, although many English-speaking Muslims prefer using the Arabic word "Allah".

thipps said:
Furthermore circumcision is an important aspect of cleanliness,which is so strongly emphasised in Islam, for when the foreskin is not removed, urine and other secretions can collect under the folded skin.This area can become the site of very painful infections from bacterial growth and the minor operation of circumcision greatly simplifies basic hygiene for men and boys.
Hence it is a greatly meritorious Sunnah as well as physically beneficial to perform this act. However, it is not a pre-requisite for conversion to Islam.
thipps, mate - when you ascribe rationalist/medical grounds for a religiously-mandated practice, you are on a slippery slope. what is wrong with saying that it's a practice commanded by G!D? if you maintain that it's about cleanliness, you are making cleanliness more important than commandment. and, given that millions of uncircumcised people nonetheless live cleanly and hygienically, you are in danger of making the commandment look ridiculous. quite apart from that, what is to then stop somebody saying "well if mosques are unhygienic, shouldn't we make them illegal?" it's an invidious comparison, but this whole "it's logical/hygienic/rational" justificatory approach to Divine commands is for me tantamount to disrespect. it suggests G!D's command alone is insufficient.

aMe - your assumption appears to be that love is the basis for marriage. this is actually a pretty modern idea and doesn't really appear even in europe until the modern era. in most cultures, familial, social, cultural and legal considerations have up till recently been most important. continuity is also important. love cannot always overcome the barriers of circumstance.

b'shalom

bananabrain

bananabrain said:
thipps, mate - when you ascribe rationalist/medical grounds for a religiously-mandated practice, you are on a slippery slope. what is wrong with saying that it's a practice commanded by G!D? if you maintain that it's about cleanliness, you are making cleanliness more important than commandment. and, given that millions of uncircumcised people nonetheless live cleanly and hygienically, you are in danger of making the commandment look ridiculous. quite apart from that, what is to then stop somebody saying "well if mosques are unhygienic, shouldn't we make them illegal?" it's an invidious comparison, but this whole "it's logical/hygienic/rational" justificatory approach to Divine commands is for me tantamount to disrespect.
b'shalom

bananabrain
Assalam-o-Alaikum,
If i tell them "it's a practice commanded by G!D" and stop there, then im telling them nothing new really. Ofcourse its commanded by God, that is obvious not only from the Bible but also from hadith. I mentioned the Prophet Abraham(pbuh). I think that part was clear. The medical aspects of the matter was to increase some knowledge in the matter cause alot of people think that it is simply unnecessary or is unhygeinic or just down right mutilation.
it suggests G!D's command alone is insufficient.
Questions are often asked cause people are curious as to WHY God has commanded a certain thing. Questions are encouraged and answers given. It has in no way to give the impression that God's Commands are insufficient. When we get the answer that it is healthy from a medical standpoint, then it increases our faith which is obviously a good thing. God has told us what to do and it is our duty to say 'O Lord, we hear and we obey'. What i have spoken of comes afterwards i.e. the 'why was this command given' .. in the meantime, we are not disobeying, we are still following the command. So, there is no suggestion of what you are speaking.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine said:
Although Christians and Jews don't refer to G!d as Allah, they do acknowledge the Higher Power that the Muslims call Allah while religions outside of this triad don't (at least, not necessarily.)
Assalam-o-Alaikum,
'table' is right. There are millions of Coptic christians in arab lands. Arabic is thier mother tongue. They all use the word 'Allah' for God. If you look at the arabic bible, its filled with the word 'Allah'. Its there in Genesis 1:1, the first verse of the bible too. You can google for an arabic bible and check it out.
Hope this clears it up.

Assalamalaikum to all,
.Iam new to this board i have read abt the differences between shia and sunni i was surprised to know my question is can a sunni muslim girl marry a shia r these ppl kafir dont they read Quran?
If no sunni muslim is readyto marry this girl coz of her past can she marry shia or should she rather stay single and wait for sunni boy..?
any help would b appreciated.

muslima said:
Assalamalaikum to all,
.Iam new to this board i have read abt the differences between shia and sunni i was surprised to know my question is can a sunni muslim girl marry a shia r these ppl kafir dont they read Quran?
If no sunni muslim is readyto marry this girl coz of her past can she marry shia or should she rather stay single and wait for sunni boy..?
any help would b appreciated.
If that 'shia' testifies that there is only One God worthy of worship without any partners or equals, and testifies that Muhammad is God's Messenger, that person is a Muslim.

thanks for the reply table..how can i know abt their doctrine and i have read their shahada.and prayer is different is it not innovations???

muslima said:
thanks for the reply table..how can i know abt their doctrine and i have read their shahada.and prayer is different is it not innovations???
Salam,
well, you could read a book on it. that would be best. you will hear alot of things. Best to read a book on it.

Back