Atheism may help some types of personality and destroy others

Discussion in 'Belief and Spirituality' started by Bulletcatcher, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Bulletcatcher

Bulletcatcher New Member

Leaving religion might be good for extroverted persons. Extroversion often correpsondents to narcicism and religions that talk a lot about guild, modesty and things that are greater than you might not exactly be the narcicists cup of tea.

But for emotionally vulnerable people (people that I guess simply have strong emotions) becoming atheists results in a decline in mental wellbeing:

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2018/04/06/what-are-the-psychological-effects-of-losing-your-religion/

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1

I don't know how to Grapple with so many assumptions at once. Maybe a little if you told us a little about your belief an experience we can start from there

Mrs Malaprop likes this.
  3. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

I've seen studies about both positive and negative effects of religion. I'll give this a read.

Narcissist personality disorder can manifest as the long-suffering austere silent manipulator just as well as the flashy one. Extraversion by itself is not an indicator of NPD.

4. Arif Ghamiq

Arif Ghamiq Active Member

Thank you ! This is an interesting study to and I'm gonna look deeper into it. Changing Faiths for me felt very exciting, renewing and liberating.

@Cino I didn't kniw Narcissism was actually a disorder until you mentioned it

5. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

Bulletcatcher, you have asked many questions leaning to pro-Atheistic beliefs, but with no investment of your own. It is easy to site multiple sources of information, but it is much more meaningful to have an opinion in a forum such as this one.
    I encourage you to use fewer citations and more original thought in future posts. This is a good forum and I hope you will enjoy your time here.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  6. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

So this article seems to be about Christian converts either de-converting or becoming atheist.

Interesting! I knew a few converts back when I lived in SE Asia, several decades ago. Looking back, I can imagine they had to deal with more emotional complexity than I would have thought at the time.

Anyway, fascinating read, thanks a lot!

7. Mrs Malaprop

Mrs Malaprop Member

Bring emotionally vulnerable doesn't seem like a good reason to take on religious beliefs.