There's a suspension of the mezuzah "ritual"

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Junior Moderator, Intro
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I didn't know kissing it was a thing...

It's because there's a prayer scroll inside (what you see is actually a "case", which can be as plain or ornate as the owner wants, but the contents are all alike.)

Kissing the mezuzah is akin to kissing the torah scrolls as they pass during certain synagogue rituals (I wonder if he's going to prohibit that, too.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Yes, I am aware...honor.thy...

But I have only seen folks silently mutter the prayer and touch it as they go out or in the door...

I have never seen anyone kiss it. Doesn't mean they don't (like when they bring out the scrolls) I've just never heard/seen it before.

But I have only seen folks silently mutter the prayer and touch it as they go out or in the door...

I have never seen anyone kiss it. Doesn't mean they don't (like when they bring out the scrolls) I've just never heard/seen it before.

What we do for the mezuzah is kiss our fingers, then place the "kiss" on the mezuzah case.

When we "kiss" the torah scrolls, we will first kiss either a corner of the prayer shawl or kiss the top of the prayer book, then place the "kiss" on the scrolls.

Both "kisses" are very ritualized, moreso than kissing Granny.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

By kissing is meant that one touches the mezuza and then touches the mouth
If you google kissing the mezuzah and look athe images, you will se that there.

Anyway, when I was religious that's how I did it.

I heard a story that the diocese of Madison has removed the sign of peace from the mass to avoid any potential spreading of covid19. Although I defer to @Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine, my neighbor to the north, for the latest from her state.

In accordance with the OP, I didn’t know such kissing occurred. I’m intrigued at the responses in religious practices now, when so far, the annual flu is deadlier and yet we don’t hear about these changes. At least I don’t.

some places have already strongly discouraged kissing the torah.

Back