Hot Button Topic: Islam and Peace

arthra said:
Thank you Samabudhi for your notes!

samabudhi wrote:

Isn't it sad that we've come to accept war as a natural part of life.
The whole idea of chivalry is designed to ease men's conscience.
'Well as long as we don't kill the women and children it's OK'.

True compassion knows no boundaries, but this is just pity.

Think about it. One of the biggest problems with trying to get men to fight is their conscience. Justifying wars is always a big part, and when you can say, 'Well we're only killing the men' and 'It is God's will', then one doesn't feel so bad about it.

Comment:

There's an interested story or tradition about Imam Ali recounted by Bawa Muhaiyaddeen in "Islam and World Peace" that demonstrates I think the embodiement of what true Chivalry is:

One day when Ali was in battle, his opponent's sword broke and the man fell. Ali stood above him and holding his sword to the man's chest, he said: "If you had a sword in your hand, I would continue this fight, but since your sword is broken, I cannot strike you."

"If I had a sword at this moment, I would cut off your arms and legs." the man shouted back.

"All right then", Ali replied, and he handed the man his sword.

"What are you doing?" the man asked. bewildered. "I am your enemy am I not?"

Ali looked him in the eye and said: "You swore that if you had a sword in your hand you would kill me. Now you have my sword so go ahead and strike me."

But the man could not.

"That was your ignorance and arrogance speaking, Ali explained, "In the realm of Allah there is no fight or enemy between you and me. We are brethren. The real war is between truth and your lack of wisdom. It is between truth and falsehood. You and I are just watching the battle. You are my brother. If I were to harm you at this point, I would have to answer for it on the Day of Questioning. Allah would ask me about it."

The man became a Moslem.

From p. 82 of "Islam and World Peace".

- Art

I really like that story, arthra - thanks for that. :)

Also, welcome to CR, samabudhi - and welcome back Ozz^E. :)

A moving story.

And yet if the man were holding a sword and Ali had striken him, it would have been considered a blow against falsehood.
This is a dangerous path to follow; the one where you are arrogant enough to assume you comprehend the truth and others need to be shown it.

This is the problem with the 'war' between Christianity and Islam. Each thinks they hold the truth and everyone else 'lacks wisdom'. No wonder the middle east has been at war for centuries.

Furthermore, a connection is made between fighting and dispelling ignorance. It doesn't work like that.

Be careful not to get caught up in the romanticism of a story.

Or romanticism in general. :)

But allegory and metaphor are good ways to present issues in a simpler and more illustrative context, rather than force an essay on an audience. I guess that's a particular reason why the New Testament has Jesus so often speaking in parables.

The minds of peoples who lived 2000 years ago were very much different from our own. Abstraction and critical anaylsis were difficult for them. The best way to keep peoples attention and get your point through is by story telling. The strength of modern man is in his ability to differentiate between the story, the principle and real life. However for the simple mind, the success of the story and the feelings that it evokes are seen as synonymous with the validity of the point it tries to make.

I wouldn't suggest forcing anything on the audience, nor do I recommend that the simpleton interest himself in the details of religions without first developing insight and discrimination.
It is with stories like the one above that people are manipulated in mass through their feelings.
Religions should be simple and straighforward without cultural attachments.

True words are not fancy.
Fancy words are not true.
The good do not debate.
Debaters are not good.
The one who really knows is not broadly learned,
The extensively learned do not really know.
The sage does not hoard,
She gives people her surplus.
Giving her surplus to others she is enriched.
The way of Heaven is to help and not harm.

- chap 81 Tao Te Ching

I would venture that the reason Islam is so successful is because of it's simplicity and lack of logic.
People don't want to wade through principles and use their mind. They want the answer handed to them on a plate, especially when survival is their number one (as it most often is in the Middle East).

If you wanted to manipulate people, why wouldn't you use religion?

samabudhi said:
A moving story.

And yet if the man were holding a sword and Ali had striken him, it would have been considered a blow against falsehood.
This is a dangerous path to follow; the one where you are arrogant enough to assume you comprehend the truth and others need to be shown it.

Well, your making up the 'others need to be shown it' bit:

"And say: 'The truth is from your Lord.". Then whosoever wills, let him believe; and whosoever wills, let him disbelieve" (18:28).

I think I speak on behalf of all the monothestic religions when I say that there is no compulsion in religion. If you wanna follow any other way, thats your choice, you wont forcibly be shown anything. Of course, if you want to be aggressive and to initiate aggression against the believers, then we hold the right to defence.

This is the problem with the 'war' between Christianity and Islam. Each thinks they hold the truth and everyone else 'lacks wisdom'. No wonder the middle east has been at war for centuries.

Actaully, the conflicts in the middle east have more to do with politics and less with religion. Neither Christianity nor Islam allows for aggressive wars or terrorism, the both teach love, respect and tolerance: so I do see how people and come up and blame them for any such conflicts.

samabudhi said:
I would venture that the reason Islam is so successful is because of it's simplicity and lack of logic.
People don't want to wade through principles and use their mind. They want the answer handed to them on a plate, especially when survival is their number one (as it most often is in the Middle East).

Islam's lack of logic?? Would you be so kind as to more specificially point out the illogical teachings/propositions that Islam puts forth?

I dont think religion has anything special to it that allows manipulation. Its not like being secular makes you any less likely to be manipulated. Ignorance is the what allows for ppl to be manipulated. Those in power can use something as simple as nationalism to manipulate thier ppl (as is done in wartime).

Ozz^E said:
Well, your making up the 'others need to be shown it' bit

The real war is between truth and your lack of wisdom.

So what is the Muslim fighting for if not for truth? He is fighting to show the ignorant the truth, albeit by the sword.

Ozz^E said:
"And say: 'The truth is from your Lord.". Then whosoever wills, let him believe; and whosoever wills, let him disbelieve" (18:28).
I think I speak on behalf of all the monothestic religions when I say that there is no compulsion in religion. If you wanna follow any other way, thats your choice, you wont forcibly be shown anything. Of course, if you want to be aggressive and to initiate aggression against the believers, then we hold the right to defence.

It was common place to impose a tax on the people of an Islamic country who chose to follow another religion. Don't know if that's still the case, but economic pressure doesn't sound like free choice to me.
Social isolation is also a method used by Abrahamic religions.
I know this from personal experience living with a large Muslim community and coming from a Christian one. They're friendly, but that's where it ends. Jews just flat out don't let you join. How's that for tolerance.

Ozz^E said:
Actaully, the conflicts in the middle east have more to do with politics and less with religion. Neither Christianity nor Islam allows for aggressive wars or terrorism, the both teach love, respect and tolerance: so I do see how people and come up and blame

There's no such thing as politics over here and religion over there. They are inextricably linked. Aways have been.

Ozz^E said:
Islam's lack of logic?? Would you be so kind as to more specificially point out the illogical teachings/propositions that Islam puts forth?
That there is a God. That'll do for now.
Ozz^E said:
I dont think religion has anything special to it that allows manipulation. Its not like being secular makes you any less likely to be manipulated. Ignorance is the what allows for ppl to be manipulated. Those in power can use something as simple as nationalism to manipulate thier ppl (as is done in wartime).
Peer pressure isn't reserved for teenagers. It's a phenomenon that effects all people. The need to fit into a group. Anyone who's done a bit of psychology knows this. We're social animals. We need to fit in.
Most people will give up their freedom if it means being accepted. Like sheep.

Agree with the ignorance and nationalism part though. Nationalism and religions are both social structures. How would social structures survive if people didn't behave the same way? Therefore, they only survive if they exert a force on their members, ergo manipulation.

We chose which social structure we want to belong to (hopefully), and thus chose who we are influenced by. If we are independent with few insecurities, we don't care who we're with. If we know we're easily persuaded, we are most intolerant.
Most of the time this behaviour isn't contrived. It simply happens without our noticing it. We're unaware hence our problems.

Samabudhi,

I had a few comments to make in response to some of your points:

If we study the life of Imam Ali I think you will find there is more truth to the story cited than mere sentimentalism or romanticism... Imam Ali was well known for his acts of kindness and charity.

Regarding Jihad:

Rather than seeing "fighting" connected with "dispelling ignorance" try using the word "struggle" because that is closer to the meaning of the word "Jihad".

A few things about Islam that I think should be understood...especially early Islam.... that Jihad was only used as a defensive measure when the community and the Faith were under threat of attack.

Regarding "Jizyah":

Also, the tax or "Jizyah" was levied only on Christians, Jews and Zoroastrians who were under the protection of Moslem rulers. They were exempt from having to defend themselves in wartime and were allowed to keep their religion(s) and religious buildings such as churches or synagogues.

The tax was also graduated according to ability to pay...so poor people were taxed less than the wealthy. Monks, hermits or slaves were exempt.

When Islam came to the areas of the former Byzantine Empire many Christians preferred the fairness of the "Jizyah" tax to the onerous taxation of the Byzantine Court.

In light of the historical circumstances of the time, I think the above is evidence that the foundations of Islamic civilization were not cruel or arbitrary but rather were progessive.

Consider the treatment of Moslems and Jews in Spain during Inquisition where three choices were permitted: conversion, death or exile.... and even those who converted were mistreated and under suspicion.

In addition in response to the question:

Would you be so kind as to more specificially point out the illogical teachings/propositions that Islam puts forth?

You responded with:

"That there is a God. That'll do for now."

Reading your words conveys a hostility here which I think is out of place.... People can have many reasons why they believe in God and philosophically there have been proofs and logical evidences presented, but that you feel a belief in God is illogical is based on your own assumptions and should not affect an appraisal of a religion in my opinion.

I think there is hope that Christians, Moslems and Jews can work together to build a lasting peace in the world...There have been evidences of this but they are not covered in the news media as much as bombs and targeted assassinations...which in turn inflames greater passions and hostilities.

- Art

If we study the life of Imam Ali I think you will find there is more truth to the story cited than mere sentimentalism or romanticism... Imam Ali was well known for his acts of kindness and charity.

Then lets hear it. Forget about Imam Ali for the moment. I'd like to hear what the story's message is if it's not just about sentimentalism and romanticism.

Rather than seeing "fighting" connected with "dispelling ignorance" try using the word "struggle" because that is closer to the meaning of the word "Jihad".

Euphemisms are used by those who can't handle the truth or who are trying to hide something. Call it what it is for crying out loud. This is a classic technique used by politicians and warmongers who try to make the truth more palatable for the general population.

I took the following article from
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A29441-2003Mar25
which well describes my view on euphemisms.

The Soothing Sound Of Fighting Words
By Paul Farhi
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, March 26, 2003; Page C01

Language in a time of war can be illuminating or obfuscating, depending on your perspective. Yesterday, in southern Iraq, U.S. troops provided an ironic example. They named two temporary refueling facilities Camp Shell and Camp Exxon.
"Advertisement."
A tad indelicate? Deliberately insensitive, given the criticism that the United States has undertaken the war to secure Iraqi oil? Neither, said a Pentagon spokesman, who explained that the camps are "basically gas stations."
To twist the cliche, the first casualty of war is language, "casualty" being an ancient euphemism for "killed" or "maimed" or "psychologically damaged beyond repair." War language can be especially monstrous in that it is designed to disguise, neuter and deflect the chaos it describes. As George Orwell once wrote, "When the general atmosphere is bad, language must suffer."
The Persian Gulf War popularized such Pentagrammatic phrases as "smart bomb" and "collateral damage," neither of which really was, exactly. The other side called that war "the mother of all battles," which it wasn't, and in any case makes this one, what, the grandmother or the daughter?
The current war brings us "surgical air strikes" and "strike package," which is a highly lethal group of warplanes but sounds like the Yankees' starting pitchers.
We're warned that our soldiers could be subject to chemical or biological weapons, an almost unimaginable prospect that has been reduced, jauntily, to being "slimed." As in, "If we get slimed, we're going up there" and fight back, Rear Adm. Chas. R. Kubic, commander of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force Engineer Group, told the Los Angeles Times. It makes it sound almost like a stunt on Nickelodeon.
We're not certain if we should characterize the war as an invasion -- a phrase freighted with aggressive meaning -- or a war of liberation, which is much nicer. In fact, we don't know quite what to call it yet. (Operation Iraqi Freedom? Persian Gulf War II? March Madness?)
We have "shock and awe," a vivid phrase that seems to have traveled from war-gaming think tanks to Wolf Blitzer's lips in a flash of tracer fire. "Shock and awe" is shorthand for a fast, overwhelming, punishing strike that sows confusion and destruction within the enemy's ranks, theoretically promoting a quick surrender. For all its quasi-biblical overtones ("and the Lord did shock and awe they that blasphemed His name"), "shock and awe" has both a euphemistic and propagandistic value. As military strategy, it's not wholly different from what the German army did in conquering Poland and the Low Countries in World War II. Back then, it was known by a name with a different connotation: blitzkrieg.
"Warfare has always generated linguistic Novocain -- it's designed to numb," says William Lutz, a professor of English at Rutgers and the author of "Doublespeak." "Language works best when it paints a mental picture for us, when it palpably and vividly creates a reality in our minds. When you want it to do the exact opposite, you create a new language for that."
This has always been true, he says. To rally a society to kill requires more than just guns and jets; it requires an artful command of words conveying a shared mission.
The difference now, says Lutz, is that the jargon and unholy euphemisms move faster than ever. Thanks to instantaneous worldwide satellite transmission, the generals' latest catchphrases, or even the grunts', are being bandied about the water cooler, the shop floor and the soccer field within hours of their first utterance.
There's more cross-pollination than ever, too: military language long ago bled into jock talk (where a season became a "campaign," and a quarterback or catcher was "a field general"). But now sports gives back (on CNN, an American officer talks about "maintaining our focus" and "stepping up to the next level"), and the business world chips in with talk about "battlefield synergy" and "integrated strategy."
"Things are only what we label them," observes Lutz. "Your tax cut is my tax giveaway. Labeling tells us more about the person labeling than the thing itself."
Thus: "Coalition forces," which sounds so grand and official, until you notice that the vast majority of those in the coalition are from the United States. Nevertheless, "coalition forces" was sired by the Coalition of the Willing, a group whose members have still not been fully identified. Even more to the point, given their limited participation, most of the COTW apparently aren't completely willing.
Journalists are now "embedded" with the troops, which suggests an almost sexual level of media-military involvement. Although the media operate under many of the same restrictions as before, "embedding" conveys closeness and cooperation. In any event, it's really no different from the olden days, when reporters were merely "assigned" to travel with troops.
And, of course, there is the ostensible cause of the war, Iraq's "weapons of mass destruction."
The phrase -- hatched somewhere within the United Nations but popularized by President Bush -- may be the liveliest of all the new phrases. Since its use became widespread, it has been shorthanded to "WMD." It has also morphed, like a mutating cell, into "weapons of mass terror" and again (by President Bush, on the war's eve last week) to "weapons of mass murder."
This terminal terminology irritates Paul Fussell, the eminent war scholar. "A machine gun, properly fired, is a weapon of mass destruction," he sputters. "We're pretending that only awful and sinister people own weapons of mass destruction. We own them, too. We just call them something else."
But he recognizes the necessity of the distinction, and its corruption. Language "makes us amenable to being governed, in a sick way," he says. "People have gotten used to language doing nothing more than being amusing, like pop music playing in the background. Words have a significant cultural and political function. We've become blind to them."
© 2003 The Washington Post Company

Also, the tax or "Jizyah" was levied only on Christians, Jews and Zoroastrians who were under the protection of Moslem rulers. They were exempt from having to defend themselves in wartime and were allowed to keep their religion(s) and religious buildings such as churches or synagogues.

You're listing rights not privileges. I don't see anything left balancing the tax.

When Islam came to the areas of the former Byzantine Empire many Christians preferred the fairness of the "Jizyah" tax to the onerous taxation of the Byzantine Court.

Consider the treatment of Moslems and Jews in Spain during Inquisition where three choices were permitted: conversion, death or exile.... and even those who converted were mistreated and under suspicion.

We can go on listing examples of the immorality of mankind, but that doesn't justify the choices of the governments in question. It only makes them look good 'cause they're not at the bottom of the list.

Reading your words conveys a hostility here which I think is out of place.... People can have many reasons why they believe in God and philosophically there have been proofs and logical evidences presented, but that you feel a belief in God is illogical is based on your own assumptions and should not affect an appraisal of a religion in my opinion.

1. I apologise if I came across as hostile. I thought I was just being sarcastic at worst.

2. I fear you overlook the meaning of philosophy. A philosophical proof is a classic oxymoron.

3. I had no intention of starting a whole new argument about the existence of God. I simply wanted to answer Ozz^E's question. In order to avoid turning this thread into a plethora of disconnected arguments, but at the same time convey my feeling that their is much which is illogical in Islam, I simply said 'That'll do for now.'

I sincerely hope you consider that peace in the world would include more than just the three main Abrahamic religions.

Samabudhi wrote:

"I sincerely hope you consider that peace in the world would include more than just the three main Abrahamic religions."

Comment:

I was directing my attention primarily to the Middle East and the Holy Land when I mentioned Jews, Christians and Moslems getting along....We could include Sikhs, Hindus and Moslems if we're considering Kashmir and the Punjab or Buddhists, Hindus and Moslems in Nepal and Moslems and Hindus in India and so on.

The way I think to lessen tensions is to encourage communication between the various sides as Vinobe Bhave some years ago did when armed fighters of several factions in the Kashmir turned in their weapons and efforts are needed on both sides as is happening currently between India and Pakistan.

Attacking a religion such as Islam as "illogical" because of belief in God is not productive.

Two things though I would suggest for this discussion:

First of all needed is a historical perspective on religions which seems lacking in the comments of people when they are addressing issues especially in the Middle East and

secondly a deference to the cultural background of Arabic language when discussing these issues...

For instance, it's not a euphemism if I stress that Jihad means "struggle" rather than "fighting" as the actual meaning of the word "Jihad" is "An effort or a striving".

Also, to understand the concept of Jihad one has to see the historical context in order to understand it's developement over time, hence my remarks earlier about early Islam... The same is true of the "Jizyah" tax.... You won't have any understanding of this without knowing how this concept developed and where it came from....

- Art

samabudhi said:
So what is the Muslim fighting for if not for truth? He is fighting to show the ignorant the truth, albeit by the sword.

[/QOUTE]

Whatta you mean fighting for the truth? I think its bveen made quite clear the circumstances in which physical force can be used. And showing non-muslims the truth of Islam is not one of them. The Prophet(s) took part in 19 battles in his lifetime. In not one was the reason of the battle taking place to force Islam onto non-believers by force.

It was common place to impose a tax on the people of an Islamic country who chose to follow another religion. Don't know if that's still the case, but economic pressure doesn't sound like free choice to me.

The Jizya tax is taken for the privileges the State provides. The person who pays the tax (the amount of which wouldnt even go close to anything that could be labelled economic exploitation), is gauranteed protection by the muslim army and is given equal rights on par by any muslim in the state. The state even provides for their religious/worship needs. Indeed, there have been incidnet sin Islamic history where on realising that protection of its citizens was something that couldnt be reasonably gauranteed, the Caliph of the time has ordered the collect tax to be given back to those who paid it.

And as to now, there is no Islamic state in the world. But when it does return, the jizya tax shall be again reinstated until the return of Jesus (peace be upon him) who will abolish the tax.

Social isolation is also a method used by Abrahamic religions.
I know this from personal experience living with a large Muslim community and coming from a Christian one. They're friendly, but that's where it ends.

Well, your bringing in the behaviour of indiviual ppl of specific societies. The only society's behaviour I can account for is that of the Prophet and His Companions. Other then that, its the Islamic faith we should be discussin not the behaviour of those who claim to be following the faith (esp. if the behaviour in question goes against the teachings).

Jews just flat out don't let you join. How's that for tolerance.

Okay..so maybe I shouldn't talk on everyone's behalf.

arthra said:
The way I think to lessen tensions is to encourage communication between the various sides as Vinobe Bhave some years ago did when armed fighters of several factions in the Kashmir turned in their weapons and efforts are needed on both sides as is happening currently between India and Pakistan.

Absolutely. It's like any relationship. If there's no communication, there's no relationship.

Attacking a religion such as Islam as "illogical" because of belief in God is not productive.

Once again I agree, but it's up to the reader to decide whether they consider that hostile or not. However I wouldn't use the word attacking,(no I'm not going to offer a euphemism). When I crit a religion, I treat it like any other idea. Not as a person which is offended, but as an ideaology which should be able to take criticism. If it is the truth, then there's nothing to worry about. It's the adherents who identify with the religion who take offence. But there's nothing I can do about that.
Here's another problem I find in religions. The identification of the self with the religion. Another time perhaps.

Two things though I would suggest for this discussion:
First of all needed is a historical perspective on religions which seems lacking in the comments of people when they are addressing issues especially in the Middle East and

Smooth. HA! :p

secondly a deference to the cultural background of Arabic language when discussing these issues...

If this means what I think it does, then it doesn't match up with suggestion number 1. Remember that history is the root of culture. Language is bound to culture. Just like the word 'Jihad'.

For instance, it's not a euphemism if I stress that Jihad means "struggle" rather than "fighting" as the actual meaning of the word "Jihad" is "An effort or a striving".

We're totally getting off the subject here. Forget about terms and personages and please explain the story you quoted. If the non-muslim in the story was so easily converted, tell me what I'm missing. What don't I see that he does.

Also, to understand the concept of Jihad one has to see the historical context in order to understand it's developement over time, hence my remarks earlier about early Islam... The same is true of the "Jizyah" tax.... You won't have any understanding of this without knowing how this concept developed and where it came from....

OK, but now that we've had the history lesson, argue the point. That's what we're here for. (Perhaps we can just keep to Imam Ali's story.)

------------

Please. Treat me like a computer. I take in information, I give out my opinion. I live thousands of miles away. If I don't seem to know what I'm talking about, then you have nothing to be offended by. The attachment to the self is man's greatest obstacle to happiness.

Whatta you mean fighting for the truth? I think its bveen made quite clear the circumstances in which physical force can be used. And showing non-muslims the truth of Islam is not one of them. The Prophet(s) took part in 19 battles in his lifetime. In not one was the reason of the battle taking place to force Islam onto non-believers by force.

Could we *PLEASE* stick to the subject.

I am argueing about the story. THE STORY.

And I quote:
The real war is between truth and your lack of wisdom. It is between truth and falsehood.

Other then that, its the Islamic faith we should be discussin not the behaviour of those who claim to be following the faith (esp. if the behaviour in question goes against the teachings).

And if it doesn't go against the teaching, then we should discuss it !?
You have to be careful on these forums. Once you've put something down in writing, it stays.

It has been brought to my attention that my posts have been coming across as confrontational and attacking to others.

Unfortunately this is a prickly subject by it's very nature with thorny people and itchy views. If we're to get to the bottom of any subject without losing ourselves in niceties or totally going off the subject, we have to be Frank. I mean frank.

I could sandwich in cliches like 'The truth hurts' or 'If you can't handle the heat then get out of the kitchen', but that would be tactless. :p

Personally I can't see how you can talk about such a volatile issue without offending people's delicate sensitivities.

Nevertheless, I'll pay more attention to what I say and how I say it.
I just ask that people stick to the subject and let minor opinions pass without getting their knickers in a knot.

Ozz^E wrote:

"The Jizya tax is taken for the privileges the State provides. The person who pays the tax (the amount of which wouldnt even go close to anything that could be labelled economic exploitation), is gauranteed protection by the muslim army and is given equal rights on par by any muslim in the state. The state even provides for their religious/worship needs. Indeed, there have been incidnet sin Islamic history where on realising that protection of its citizens was something that couldnt be reasonably gauranteed, the Caliph of the time has ordered the collect tax to be given back to those who paid it.

And as to now, there is no Islamic state in the world. But when it does return, the jizya tax shall be again reinstated until the return of Jesus (peace be upon him) who will abolish the tax."

My comment:

Good points Ozz^e.....

I was also reading in "A Dictionary of Islam" by TPH Hughes that Jizyah could be established voluntarily or be enforced.... and was usually one dinar for every male.....women and children were exempt.

I also did a little research in "The Dictionary of the Holy Qur'an" by Abdul Mannan Omar on the word "Jihad" which is "Jahada" on p. 106

"There is nothing in the word to indicate that this striving is to be effected by the sword (Razi). According to Raghib "Jihad" is a struggle against a visible enemy... Jihad is, therefore far from synonymous with war. Its meaning as war undertaken for the propagation of religion is unknown to Arablc language and Islam."

- Art

God as territory

One of these days, Abrahamic religionists will stop trying to make the Kingdom of God into a territorial religious state and then there might be a chance of peace in the world.

How Abrahamic religionists can hold the illogical gods they worship as One, (ha ha) and still maintain God stands for peace when whenever these religionists gain political power they promptly use God to start taking the basic human rights away from everyone. Not content to stop there, they historically start killing people who don't toe the religious Party Line. Muslims should be twice convicted in their hearts as "Islam" means not just "surrender to the will of God" but "surrender to God as Peace". Where is God as peace when God says kill unbelievers?

arielmessenger said:
One of these days, Abrahamic religionists will stop trying to make the Kingdom of God into a territorial religious state and then there might be a chance of peace in the world.

How Abrahamic religionists can hold the illogical gods they worship as One, (ha ha) and still maintain God stands for peace when whenever these religionists gain political power they promptly use God to start taking the basic human rights away from everyone. Not content to stop there, they historically start killing people who don't toe the religious Party Line. Muslims should be twice convicted in their hearts as "Islam" means not just "surrender to the will of God" but "surrender to God as Peace". Where is God as peace when God says kill unbelievers?
You're just matching prejudice with prejudice. For someone who claims to know something of God, you are making some rather simplistic generalisations of others.

Back