thinking

I have an opinion that the modern conspiracy theorist is a continuation of the religious superstitionist of the past. It's the same thing.
The difference being that along with the internet spread of fake conspiracy theories, comes the internet ability to quickly Google up the source and check.

Wikipedia etc, mean there's no need to go to the library and run down documents; it takes only a few minutes, sometimes only a few seconds.

Laziness. Thinking isn't easy, it's hard, because it takes a bit of effort, imo.

But as you say, there's also a willingness and a need to believe what we want to believe.

Look at the big objective and the fine details seem to work themselves out. For that particular application. The fact is it works in actual practice in the real world.

Vague, but perhaps true. Do you have an example of a particular application we may consider together, or may I provide one?

Edit: We may continue this in our other discussion, if you want.

Last edited:
Vague, but perhaps true. Do you have an example of a particular application we may consider together, or may I provide one?
Perhaps when deciding on starting a new business where customer footfall is going to be the main thing, one may decide on a good certain location and work towards that, allowing the finer details of, say transport and supplies to work themselves out?

Set the main objective and then work from there? There's always a way to get something done, if it has to be done.

I have an opinion that the modern conspiracy theorist is a continuation of the religious superstitionist of the past. It's the same thing.

I also opine that under it all is a need for someone/something to be in charge. These guys need the reassurance that secret powers are controlling the world; the idea that 'sh*t happens', that random events are just in the nature of the finite and the contingent, is too much, too cold, to contemplate.

I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist. I do not feel reassured that (not so)secret powers might be controlling the world.

This is not different than the atheists who will claim you are a Christian because you feel the need to belong or can't handle death being the end of your existence... or the more obvious one I should of lead with, that you need some sort of super-human authority figure because too much too cold etc.

I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist. I do not feel reassured that (not so)secret powers might be controlling the world.

It may be the reassurance of "no loose ends", "everything fits together neatly, which makes CTs and fundamentalisms/literalisms so attractive. They can be understood in their entirety.

The Bad Guys play a defined role, as do the good ones.

Identifying the undesirable aspects firmly in Someone Else, means a believer in such a system does not have to fear finding them in themselves.

Back