Happy Diwali 2020

What happened was, the wife made about 3 dozen laddus, various varieties with the intention of sharing them with her niece and family. Meanwhile, the niece had the same idea, making even more than the wife had. So there's me and it's like, "try this one, oh try this one, take some from my side uncle, here uncle take another....." and so on and so forth. Between that and all the fruit, I literally gained 6 pounds! 🤪
Sounds like "You're too fat! Here! Have more of these!" (Stereotypical grandmother chatter here.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Sounds like "You're too fat! Here! Have more of these!" (Stereotypical grandmother chatter here.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
It's a Fiji Indian thing. Bragging rights as it were when someone eats more from your house than another. Apparently you get extra points when an elder male is involved, which kind of puts me on the spot. Can't offend the niece by refusing her offerings, but then I'll have the wife to deal with if I eat more of the niece's treats than hers. So....you end up gaining 6 pounds. 🙃

It's also something a stereotypical Jewish grandmother would say (my maternal bubbe was somewhat notorious for it iirc when it came to traditional foods, too.) It's really bad during Hanukkah and Purim (Purim is the festival where you eat until you can barely stand after dinner.) Sometimes you have to crawl to the loo, pulling yourself onto the porcelain god.

Sounds like those treats would fit in perfectly!

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Happy Diwali 2023! I hope that I'm neither too early nor too late for this greeting... :oops:

:kitty: delegation's here with their special wagons filled with traditional treats....

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
You are right on time.

Today is day 3 of 5 of the Diwali celebration and considered to be the peak of the festival, where pujas are performed for Lakshmi or Kali, depending on one's sampradaya.

Happy Diwali 2023! I hope that I'm neither too early nor too late for this greeting... :oops:

:kitty: delegation's here with their special wagons filled with traditional treats....

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
Yeah. Best wishes for Diwali to all. May you be happy and healthy. In a short while, I will go for the worship (my wife is preparing for that). We will light lamps around the house. We are not supposed to go out after worship.
My participation in worship is for formality's sake since I am an atheist and the family is theist. For me Diwali is one of our many fun days.

In what is supposed to be Lord Rama's place, Ayodhya, it is going to be a fabulous Diwali with 2.5 million earthen lamps (actually 2.2 million) lighted along the bank of the River Sarayu. In January, the new temple for Lord Rama will be opened to public with a more magnificent start (Jan. 22, 2024).

I add: Muslims in Ayodhya are very happy. They are building a larger mosque with a hospital. They are looking forward to big business since with the opening of the temple, Ayodhya will become one of the major places of pilgrimage in India with millions coming in.

untitled-design-13-2023-11-aa6b4647894fc26aae22e0d7c2eec4d4-16x9.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah. Best wishes for Diwali to all. May you be happy and healthy. In a short while, I will go for the worship (my wife is preparing for that). We will light lamps around the house. We are not supposed to go out after worship.

In what is supposed to be Lord Rama's place, Ayodhya, it is going to be a fabulous Diwali with 2.5 million earthen lamps lighted along the bank of the River Sarayu. In January, the new temple for Lord Rama will be opened to public with a more magnificent start.

untitled-design-13-2023-11-aa6b4647894fc26aae22e0d7c2eec4d4-16x9.jpg
Stunning pic, Aup

The new Ayodhya mosque.

152276-gcsmsszhvo-1608467292.jpg

The new Rama Temple.
230915082810-05-india-ram-mandir-rebuild.jpg

Though I do not like the plan. With millions whom I expect to visit it, it should have been an open temple, something like Ka'aba in Mecca. Now, there will always be rush of pilgrims to have a glimpse of the deity. Ka'aba numbers will fall short as compared to the numbers who will visit the Rama temple. Then, what happens is that we employ huge television screens to see what is happening in the Sanctum, as in case of Somnath and Dwarka temples in Gujarat.

Last edited:
Reactions: RJM
Back