What is heaven like

Faithfulservant

Reaction score
I have a question. What is heaven described as for the Muslim? I only know what I've heard and read from non-Muslims. I heard that there are a lot of virgins for the men and thats all. Is that true that when you die you get an unlimited supply of that and what do Muslim women have promised to them? I apologize if my question seems insulting but I am sincere in wanting to know.

Thank you

Faithfulservant said:
I have a question. What is heaven described as for the Muslim? I only know what I've heard and read from non-Muslims. I heard that there are a lot of virgins for the men and thats all. Is that true that when you die you get an unlimited supply of that and what do Muslim women have promised to them? I apologize if my question seems insulting but I am sincere in wanting to know.

Thank you
Assalam-o-Alaikum,
This will take a couple of posts i gather. First you wish to know about Paradise in general. Ill try to post representative material; obviously i cant post all of it.
It is impossible to describe it completely obviously. But just a few hadith to get you started. All hadith are taken from Sahih Bukhari.

Volume 4, Book 54, Hadith Number 474.
-----------------------------------------
Narated By Anas bin Malik : The Prophet said, "There is a tree in Paradise (which is so big and huge that) if a rider travels in its shade for one hundred years, he would not be able to cross it."

Volume 4, Book 54, Hadith Number 478.
Narated By Abu Said Al-Khudri : The Prophet said, "The people of Paradise will look at the dwellers of the lofty mansions (i.e. a superior place in Paradise) in the same way as one looks at a brilliant star far away in the East or in the West on the horizon; all that is because of their superiority over one another (in rewards)." On that the people said, "O Allah's Apostle! Are these lofty mansions for the prophets which nobody else can reach? The Prophet replied," No! "By Allah in whose Hands my life is, these are for the men who believed in Allah and also believed in the Apostles."
Volume 4, Book 54, Hadith Number 479.
Narated By Sahl bin Sad : The Prophet said, "Paradise has eight gates, and one of them is called Ar-Raiyan through which none will enter but those who observe fasting." The Prophet also said, "If a person spends two different kinds of something (for Allah's Cause), he will be called from the gates of Paradise."

Now, a sample from the Quran:
As to the Righteous, they shall drink of a Cup (of Wine) mixed with Kafur,-
A Fountain where the Devotees of Allah do drink, making it flow in unstinted abundance. [76: 5-6]

Yusuf Ali's Quran Translation
After these verses some other things are mentioned, then some more details of paradise are mentioned.Ill just give the reference as im sure you have a copy of the Quran with you: 76:12-22. Inshallah, you will like what you read.
I'll get to the virgins bit as i go along and i find material. Just to tell you, i dont recall there being an 'unlimited' number of them. Will there be virgins/beautiful maidens in paradise... you bet:) . The details will come as i find them.
So, until my next post.

mirrorinthefog said:
Beautiful madiens?? Why? Could these things be interpreted figuratively?
Assalam-o-Alaikum,
Why what? Why are they in heaven? If that is your question[i'm not sure], then beautiful women are present on the earth as well. No one objects to that so why the objection on there being beautiful women in heaven. Again, im assuming that was your intent to ask 'why'. If it wasnt, then please elaborate.And, no, there is no figurative interpretation. They will be real, alive and beautiful. Personally, i get the feeling that people are going to have a field day with this.:)
Since, the subject has come up, let me say something here. In Islam, sex is something that is natural. It is not looked upon as something that is beneath humans. There is nothing wrong/bad about sex as long as it is within the limits put down by Allah. Fornication and adultery are strictly forbidden [haram]. Islam is against celibacy and encourages people to marry.
Anyway, as i said before, when i find the details, i will post them.

Assalam-o-Alaikum Faithfulservant,

Personally, i think people should be more concerned about what they need to do here on earth, then fixate on what is in paradise. Whatever it is, however it is, .. Be it living a celibate life there or be it with unlimited virgins, lets concentrate on getting there. Anyway, Faithfulservant, this is the second post for a description of paradise in general. After this, the next post will be on *drum roll* virgins.
I'm sure you will note that these gardens and rivers etc. are for both men and women. Never forget that God is never unjust, not in the least bit (4:40).
3:133. Be quick in the race for forgiveness from your Lord, and for a Garden whose width is that (of the whole) of the heavens and of the earth, prepared for the righteous,-

3:136. For such the reward is forgiveness from their Lord, and Gardens with rivers flowing underneath,- an eternal dwelling: How excellent a recompense for those who work (and strive)!
Yusuf Ali's Quran Translation

Such rivers are mentioned in various places in the Quran, e.g. 4:13, 4:122.

Now, some more hadith describing some other things that were not mentioned before. The following hadith are taken from Sahih Muslim, Book 40 (Paradise, Its Description, Its Bounties And Its Intimates)

Hadith # 6787.
------------------------------
Abu Sa'id al-Khudri reported that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) said that Allah would say to the inmates of Paradise: O, Dwellers of Paradise, and they would say in response: At thy service and pleasure, our Lord, the good is in Thy Hand. He (the Lord) would say: Are you well pleased now? They would say: Why should we not be pleased, O Lord, when Thou hast given us what Thou hast not given to any of Thy creatures? He would, however, say: May I not give you (something) even more excellent than that? And they would say: O Lord, what thing can be more excellent than this? And He would say: I shall cause My pleasure to alight upon you and I shall never be afterwards annoyed with you.

Hadith # 6792.
Anas b. Malik reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: In Paradise there is a street to which they would come every Friday. The north wind will blow and would scatter fragrance on their faces and on their clothes and would add to their beauty and loveliness, and then they would go back to their family after having an added lustre to their beauty and loveliness, and their family would say to them: By Allah, you have been increased in beauty and loveliness after leaving us, and they would say: By Allah, you have also increased in beauty and loveliness after us.

Hadith # 6802.
Abu Huraira reported Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) as saying: He who would get into Paradise (would be made to enjoy such an everlasting) bliss that he would neither become destitute, nor would his clothes wear out, nor his youth would decline.

Hadith # 6805.
Abu Bakr b. Abdullah b. Qais reported on the authority of his father that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said that in Paradise there would be a tent made of a single hollowed pearl, the breadth of which would be sixty miles from all sides and there would live a family in each corner and the other would not be able to see the believer who goes around them.
Tomorrow is Eid. So Eid mubarak. Tomorrow is a holiday, so might not write.
Until the next post,

I was taught that Heaven was beyond the material realm. The "beautiful virgins" and the luxuries involved with heaven, I thought, were symbols that defined God's grace and forgiveness, not literal objects or people. "Virgin" simply meant purity, and a return to one's true nature-innocent, at peace with oneself and God, and cleansed of doubt and suffering. I didn't think it pointed literally to women with certain body parts still intact.
Beautiful can be both internal and external. My belief was that this was internal beauty, as the external realm would cease to be of any significance.
Nobody is arguing that sex isn't natural. I don't understand however, as someone who has no desire for these things in any realm (it's just not that big a deal to me-I've had these things and they meant nothing) why these would be offered to someone whose only desire is to return to God. What good would a virgin do me? Or silk or nice clothes? I don't want those things now! Why would I want them in heaven?

Faithfulservant said:

Thank you
Salaamu Alyckum
I hope this can answer your question:
Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi, former President of the Islamic Society of North America, states:
Jannah or Paradise is not for men alone. It is prepared for both, righteous men and righteous women. All the joys and blessings of Jannah are for both of them. Allah has mentioned in the Qur’an that He put both Adam and his wife Hawwa’ (Eve) in Jannah after creating them, and He told them to eat and enjoy everything (except the fruit of one tree). [See al-Baqarah 2: 35; al-A`raf 7: 19] Thus, all the trees, gardens and rivers of Jannah are made for both men and women and they both will enjoy them.

All Believers, males and females, will enter the Jannah. Allah says,
( Gardens of perpetual bliss: they shall enter there, as well as the righteous among their fathers, their spouses, and their offspring) (ar-Ra`d 13: 23)

Further, Allah says,
(Indeed, the people of Paradise will be happily occupied. They and their wives shall be in shades, reclining on raised couches. There are for them fruits and there is for them all that they ask for…) (Ya-Sin 36: 55-57)

In the Hereafter Allah will say to the Believers,
(Enter the Garden, you and your wives, you will be made glad. There will be brought round for them trays of gold and goblets, and therein is all that the souls desire and eyes find sweet and you will stay there forever. This is the garden, which you are made to inherit because of what you used to do. Therein for you is fruit in plenty whence to eat. ) (Az-Zukhruf 43: 70-73)

There are many other places in the Qur’an where it is mentioned that men and women both will find their reward and none will be deprived. [See: Aal `Imran 3: 195; An-Nisa’, 4: 124; An-Nahl 16: 97; Al-Ahzab 33: 35; Ghafir 40: 40]

The life of women in Jannah will be as pleasant and happy as the life of men. Allah is not partial to any gender. He created both of them and He will take care of both of them according to their needs and desires. Let us all work to achieve the Jannah and then, in sha’ Allah, we will find there what will satisfy all of us fully.

This verse clearly denotes that those women who do righteous deeds are rewarded with Paradise and given a high rank that is equal to the good deeds they have offered.

Shedding more light on this issue, we'd like to cite the following fatwa issued by the outstanding Muslim scholar, Sheikh ibn Jibreen:

There is no doubt that reward in the Hereafter encompasses both men and women. This is based on the following Qur'anic verses:

( Lo! I suffer not the work of any worker, male or female, to be lost) (Al `Imran 3: 195)

(Whosoever works righteousness, whether male or female, while he (or she) is a true believer, We will give a good life. ) (An-Nahl 16: 97)

(And whoever does righteous good deeds, being a male or a female, and is a true believer, such will enter Paradise. ) (An-Nisa 4: 124)

(Verily, the Muslims, men and women, the believers, men and women... Allah has prepared for them forgiveness and a great reward. ) (Al-Ahzab 33: 35)

Allah mentions them entering into Paradise together, saying:

(They and their wives will be in pleasant shade. ) (Ya Sin 36: 56)

(Enter Paradise, you and your wives, in happiness. ) (Az-Zukhruf 43: 70)

Allah also mentions that He will recreate women in Paradise in the following verse:

( Lo! We have created them a (new) creation. And made them virgins… ) (Al-Waqi`ah 56: 35-36) That is, Allah will recreate the elderly women and make them virgins; the same will be done for old men, Allah will make them youth.

It is also mentioned in the Hadith that the women of this worldly life have a superiority over Al-hur Al-`In due to the acts of worship and obedience that they performed in this world. Therefore, the believing women will enter Paradise just like the believing men. If a woman had a number of husbands, she, upon entering Paradise with them, would choose among them the one with the best character and behavior.

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: http://www.uh.edu/campus/msa/articles/fatawawom/aqida.html#paradise

Thus, rest assured that Allah never wrongs anyone, male or female, nor does He, Almighty, deprive any person of his/her work’s fruit.

This answer from this site

http://www.islamonline.net/fatwa/english/FatwaDisplay.asp?hFatwaID=57582

Thanks to all

mirrorinthefog said:
I was taught that Heaven was beyond the material realm. The "beautiful virgins" and the luxuries involved with heaven, I thought, were symbols that defined God's grace and forgiveness, not literal objects or people. "Virgin" simply meant purity, and a return to one's true nature-innocent, at peace with oneself and God, and cleansed of doubt and suffering. I didn't think it pointed literally to women with certain body parts still intact.
Beautiful can be both internal and external. My belief was that this was internal beauty, as the external realm would cease to be of any significance.
Nobody is arguing that sex isn't natural. I don't understand however, as someone who has no desire for these things in any realm (it's just not that big a deal to me-I've had these things and they meant nothing) why these would be offered to someone whose only desire is to return to God. What good would a virgin do me? Or silk or nice clothes? I don't want those things now! Why would I want them in heaven?
Assalam-o-Alaikum,
Well, the thread required an answer in the context of Islam. That was done. I dont know how you can equate "beautiful virgins" with God's grace and forgiveness. I'll leave that to you i guess. and, yes, one will be at peace and be eternally happy. one will do that even with his wives present. There wont be any doubt, jealousy, suffering. The virgins will be wives and they would be quite different from what one sees/experiences on earth. The silk here is not the silk there... different realms, different laws, different quality.still, if you insist that you would not want them, eventhough these things are beyond one's capacity to comprehend when comparing to this world, you can put aside the silk and the wives if you wish. no one is going to force you to do anything there. And again, i asked you to let me get to the details... there was a reason for that. What i just said, would have been mentioned at the proper time/post and a few other things i would have mentioned that i have not yet mentioned.
Please have patients.

Do post as much as you wish about this topic. Nobody's trying to pressure you to answer before you are ready. :) However, I don't think I want to post any further to this board.
These are not at all the things I was taught, this is not the Islam I was raised with...Still I have no desire to dispute these points with you. If you say this is THE only interpretation of these ideas, and there is no other, then so be it.
I used to hold Islam in higher regard than most other spiritual paths, but I'm increasingly finding it similar to fundemenatalist Christianity, and if it is so, I don't think I need to delve any deeper into it. I don't undestand why people with such free-thinking and all-embracing philosophies as my parents would choose a religion where every ounce of life is strictly regimented by doctrine, which have single, literal interpretations that must be aided by outside sources and explained in even more detail in order to be understood by the masses.
I'm not saying you're not entitled to your views. Your religion is just as valid as anyone else's, and by all means follow it as well as you are able to. I'm simply seeing on a personal level that I was mistaken about the Islamic world; and frankly, I don't think I wish to see any more than I have.
Please feel free to explain your views without hinderance, this is a place for people of all faiths and paths to converse and I hope that it is a useful and constructive discussion for all involved :)
Peace

Asslam-o-Alaikum Faithfulservant,
I found that there will be animals in paradise as well.
It was narrated from Sulaymaan ibn Buraydah from his father that a man asked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “O Messenger of Allaah, will there be horses in Paradise?” He said, “If Allaah admits you to Paradise, you will not wish that you could be carried on a horse of red rubies which will fly wherever you want in Paradise, but that will happen.” And another man asked him, “O Messenger of Allaah, will there be camels in Paradise?” but he did not say something like he had said to his companion. He said, “If Allaah admits you to Paradise, you will have therein whatever your heart desires and will delight your eyes.”
[Narrated by al-Tirmidhi. Classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb, 3/522.]

And it was narrated in saheeh ahaadeeth that the souls of the martyrs are in the crops of birds in Paradise which fly wherever they want.

It should be noted that the birds, horses and camels in Paradise are not the same as those in this world; they resemble them in name only. What they are really like is known only to Allaah. But we know that they are extremely beautiful, because they are one of the delights that Allaah has prepared for His close friends in Paradise. This was indicated by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in the hadeeth quoted above, in which it says that the horses of Paradise are of red rubies, and will fly with their rider wherever he wants. I think the posts upto now are enough to fill in that empty paradise in which there are only supposed to be virgins:).
Now, some hadith on the virgins/wives for the people of paradise.
Volume 4, Book 54, Hadith #476, Sahih Bukhari.
---------------------------------------------
Narated By Abu Huraira : The Prophet said, "The first batch (of people) who will enter Paradise will be (glittering) like the full moon, and the batch next to them will be (glittering) like the most brilliant star in the sky. Their hearts will be as if the heart of a single man, for they will have neither enmity nor jealousy amongst themselves; everyone will have two wives from the houris, (who will be so beautiful, pure and transparent that) the marrow of the bones of their legs will be seen through the bones and the flesh."
Book 1, Hadith #361-363, Sahih Muslim.
---------------------------------------

It was narrated from Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The lowest of the people of Paradise in status will be a man whose face Allaah will turn away from the Fire towards Paradise, and make a shady tree appear before him. … Then he will enter his house and his two wives from among al-hoor al-‘iyn will enter after him. They will say: ‘Praise be to Allah Who has created you for us and us for you.’ And he will say: ‘No one has been given the like of that which I have been given.’”

The apparent meaning is that the least that will be given to each of them will be two wives. They have been created to honour the people of paradise. I want to stress the wives part as well. This has been testified by the hadith itself as well as Quran (See 44:54). Something to be noted is that the ones who will serve the people of Paradise will be "youths of everlasting freshness" not the wives (See 76:19). Now, although women do not like to share thier husbands, this will not be a problem in paradise as there is nothing but joy and happiness in Paradise; there is no room for hatred, jealousy and rancour in the hearts of the people of Paradise (See also 7:43).
Below is what i believe your non-muslim friends might have been exxagerating a bit by calling it 'unlimited'. Are they 'alot'? Thats a relative question:D
It was narrated that al-Miqdaam ibn Ma’adikarib said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The martyr has six blessings with Allaah: he will be forgiven from the first drop of blood shed; he will be shown his place in Paradise; he will be protected from the torment of the grave; he will be safe from the greater terror; a crown of dignity will be placed on his head, one ruby of which is better than this world and everything in it; he will be married to seventy-two wives from al-hoor al-‘iyn; and he will intercede for seventy of his relatives.” [Narrated by al-Tirmidhi; classed as Authentic by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi. Recorded in other hadith books as well.]
So, it looks like the number of wives one will have in paradise are between 2 and 72 (inclusive). Anything other than this, i cant say.
Regarding what women will get, i think 'Friend's post was good reading. But you must read the other two links offered in the "You can also read:" section at the end of that link. There is one other thing that should not be ignored, and that is the fact that all that is in paradise has not been told to us and is stated in the following hadith that is relevant to both men and women (See also 32:17).
Narated By Abu Huraira : The Prophet said, "Allah said, "I have prepared for My righteous slaves (such excellent things) as no eye has ever seen, nor an ear has ever heard nor a human heart can ever think of.'" [Narrated by Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim]

Hope this answers your questions.
P.S. mirrorinthefog, i noticed i asked you to have the wrong 'patience':p

mirrorinthefog said:
Do post as much as you wish about this topic. Nobody's trying to pressure you to answer before you are ready. :) However, I don't think I want to post any further to this board.
These are not at all the things I was taught, this is not the Islam I was raised with...Still I have no desire to dispute these points with you. If you say this is THE only interpretation of these ideas, and there is no other, then so be it.
I used to hold Islam in higher regard than most other spiritual paths, but I'm increasingly finding it similar to fundemenatalist Christianity, and if it is so, I don't think I need to delve any deeper into it. I don't undestand why people with such free-thinking and all-embracing philosophies as my parents would choose a religion where every ounce of life is strictly regimented by doctrine, which have single, literal interpretations that must be aided by outside sources and explained in even more detail in order to be understood by the masses.
I'm not saying you're not entitled to your views. Your religion is just as valid as anyone else's, and by all means follow it as well as you are able to. I'm simply seeing on a personal level that I was mistaken about the Islamic world; and frankly, I don't think I wish to see any more than I have.
Please feel free to explain your views without hinderance, this is a place for people of all faiths and paths to converse and I hope that it is a useful and constructive discussion for all involved :)
Peace
Assalam-o-Alaikum,
No, it is not my view that this is THE interpretation. You will notice that whatever i have written, has been supported by Quran and hadith. Whatever you said was not. Are there other views out there? probably. Any view offered by anyone supported by Quran and hadith is acceptable to me but I do not follow my whims and do not follow those who do so. I have never had a problem with looking for other views as long as it takes support from Quran and Sunnah.
A small note, Islamic Law is quite flexible and it being a way of life, its expected that it will guide one in all aspects of life at all times. You seem to find this intrusive. I, on the other hand, am thankful for it as i dont feel lost as to what is the right thing to do.
And Allah knows best.

The interpretation I offered was of the same verses, therefore I saw no reason to reiterate what was already written. As far as the "sunnah" goes, there are those who do not agree with using that as a base for Islamic law...I came from a school of thought that is non-denominational, as it were, and believed the Qur'an was enough and did not need to be bogged down with indirect accounts and other people's interpretations.
Whether or not you personally disagree with that is your affair.
You may dismiss their views if you'd like, call them un-islamic or even blasphemous, but I don't think I need to have long posts of hadith to support my point. But I know for a fact there are people out there who are muslim and who do not agree with the ideas you are offering, and do not interpret these ideas in a rigid, literal way.
I chose not to call myself a Muslim because there are some fundemental things that I do not agree with in Islam, however, I think this has just added to that. I'm happy you don't feel "lost" and you believe Allah has provided you with the answers. I believe that it is possible there are no answers. But, to each his own.
All I'm saying is that there are other views out there, and they do not require support from something that is not used as a source of religious knowledge.
And again, I think I've said more than enough of on the subject. This is not my religion and ultimately I posted in the beginning to try to understand other viewpoints and perhaps offer mine. I see mine is not seen as valid because I don't have the same belief structure as you and others, and I don't agree with what is being offered. So no need to go into long diatribes.
Peace

What happens to women in Paradise? What is their life to come like?

Dauer

dauer said:
What happens to women in Paradise? What is their life to come like?
Dauer
Assalam-o-Alaikum,
Dont worry, it will be a peaceful place for both men and women alike. please read all the previous posts. The answer to your questions is within those posts.

Thank you for all your replies on this topic. It helps me to form an opinion on what God has revealed to me through his word in regards to our base nature being of the world and our heavenly nature being of God. When Adam and Eve sinned the consequence of that sin was death.. they had to populate the earth as God commanded. He gave them a carnal nature in order to procreate. Anyways.. Its not heaven as I know it. Yes I believe we will all be recreated but not to be used for sexual intercourse with men. We will be recreated so we arent burdened by lusts of the flesh.. fear.. death.. depression.. sadness.. our purpose is to worship God forever and ever because we love him not because he gives us a certain amount of virgins as wives.

Assalam-o-Alaikum,
I explained that there will be no fear, death, depression, sadness or jealousy there. Yes, we will sing the praises of God there as well. The purpose of this life is also to worship Him.
In Islam, everything is dependent upon intention. One cannot claim to know what is truely in the heart of another. You cant read everyone's mind.
Narrated By Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "The person who participates in (battles) in Allah's cause and nothing compels him to do so except belief in Allah and His Apostles, will be recompensed by Allah either with a reward, or booty (if he survives) or will be admitted to Paradise (if he is killed in the battle as a martyr).... " [Vol. 1, Book 2, Hadith #35, Sahih Bukhari]

Narated By Abu Said Al-Khudri: Allah's Apostle said, "Allah will say to the people of Paradise, 'O the people of Paradise!' They will say, 'Labbaik, O our Lord, and Sa'daik!' Allah will say, 'Are you pleased?" They will say, 'Why should we not be pleased since You have given us what You have not given to anyone of Your creation?' Allah will say, 'I will give you something better than that.' They will reply, 'O our Lord! And what is better than that?' Allah will say, 'I will bestow My pleasure and contentment upon you so that I will never be angry with you after for-ever.'"[Vol. 8, Book 76, Hadith #557, Sahih Bukhari]
That should make clear the pure contentment one will have in paradise.
Interstingly, i found that the first martyr in Islam was a woman. Read this:
Ibn Hijr (may Allaah have mercy on him) says in his book Al-Isaabah fi Tamyeez al-Sahaabah, where he gives a biography of Sumayah(May Allah be pleased with her):

“The daughter of Khabbaat and the mother of ‘Ammaar ibn Yaasir, she was the seventh person to enter Islam. She was tortured by Abu Jahl who stabbed her in her private parts, and she died. She was the first shaheedah (martyr) in Islaam… Al-Mujaahid said: The first seven to publicly declare their Islam in Makkah were: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), Abu Bakr, Bilaal, Khabbaab, Suhayb, ‘Ammaar and Sumaya. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and Abu Bakr were protected by their own people, but the others were forced to wear iron shields then were exposed to the burning sun. Abu Jahl came to Sumaya and stabbed her in her private parts, killing her. This was reported by Abu Bakr ibn Abi Shaybah from Mujaahid; it is mursal and its isnaad[chain of narration] is saheeh[authentic]. Ibn Sa’d reported with a saheeh isnaad from Mujaahid: The first martyr in Islam was Sumayah, the mother of ‘Ammaar ibn Yaasir. She was an old, weak woman (according to a report narrated by al-Bayhaqi: Abu Jahl stabbed her in her private parts. Al-Dalaa’il, 2/282). When Abu Jahl was killed on the day of Badr, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said (to ‘Ammaar): ‘Allaah has killed the one who killed your mother.’” [al-Isaabah, 4/327; al-Bidaayah wa’l-Nihaayah by Ibn Katheer, 3/59].

Peace.
Thipps, for the sake of Faithful Servant and others not of the Muslim faith who may wish to read the posts on this site, I wonder if you could state which school of Islamic thought you follow, i.e., are you of the school of thought of one of The five Sunni Madhabs (SHAFI'I, HANBALI, MALIKI, HANAFI, or WAHABI )?

Now Im curious as to what each "school of thought" teaches. Is it like different Christian denominations? How do they differ in their beliefs? maybe I should start a new thread with this.

Faithfulservant said:
Now Im curious as to what each "school of thought" teaches. Is it like different Christian denominations? How do they differ in their beliefs? maybe I should start a new thread with this.
Assalam-o-Alaikum Faithfulservant and Seeker,
The reason i keep posting everything with references is so that this question of madhabs[schools of thought, NOT sects or denominations] becomes unimportant. The hadith that were posted in this thread were pretty clear in what they mean and as i said before, any view supported by Quran & Sunnah is acceptable to me; this does not include whims. Faithfulservant, Shia and Sunni are sects, not schools of thought. Those five madhabs mentioned in the above post are not sects. If you wish to know about 'schools of thought', i suggest a new thread.

Seekeraftertruth said:
Peace.
Thipps, for the sake of Faithful Servant and others not of the Muslim faith who may wish to read the posts on this site, I wonder if you could state which school of Islamic thought you follow, i.e., are you of the school of thought of one of The five Sunni Madhabs (SHAFI'I, HANBALI, MALIKI, HANAFI, or WAHABI )?
Assalam-o-Alaikum Seekeraftertruth,
If you read about all the four madhabs and know what they have said about themselves, you will understand what a Muslim has to follow and it is that which i try to follow. Thus, the straight forward answer to your question is: I am a Muslim. If you do not understand what i mean, then whenever a seperate thread regarding 'schools of thought' is started, it will become clear there inshallah. By the way, to my understanding, Wahabis are not a school of thought. I asked a friend and he also said the same thing to me regarding Wahabi, that they are a sect, not a school of thought. Maybe because my location is written as saudi arabia, the word Wahabi came up:)... I'm not a Wahabi. Anyway, dont want to get into this anymore.

Assalam-o-Alaikum Faithfulservant,
A correction: to my understanding, WAHABI constitute a sect, not a school of thought. A friend of mine who knows more than me regarding these issues said the same. I think there was a thread about sunni and shia sects;these are like Protestants and Catholics in Christianity. This is different from the four 'schools of thought', which are related to Islamic Jurisprudence and issuing Fatwa. Again, I suggest a seperate thread for this.

Back