Hidden in plain sight

Cino

Big Love! (Atheist mystic)
Veteran Member
Reaction score
If your faith has esoteric, i.e. hidden, secret, initiatory teachings - how well protected are they?

Can anyone google them on the internet?

What happens to someone accessing teachings they have not been initiated to read?

Do the mysteries protect themselves, or do the faithful have to protect them?

Not really, I see Unity as more like the masked magician....revealing secrets hidden in Scripture and making them available for all.

Tis the basic purpose of the "metaphysical bible dictionary"...and the religions origins. Fillmore was originally teaching midweek bible study to christians of various denominations...until the group said they wanted a Sunday service from him.

Not really, I see Unity as more like the masked magician....revealing secrets hidden in Scripture and making them available for all.

Tis the basic purpose of the "metaphysical bible dictionary"...and the religions origins. Fillmore was originally teaching midweek bible study to christians of various denominations...until the group said they wanted a Sunday service from him.

Does Unity view the Scripture (or parts of it) as an esoteric text, then?

Good that it makes the hidden meanings available open-handed, I like that. It's an attitude also at work in Theravada Buddhism, where the Buddha is said to have taught "with an open hand" (i.e. without special teachings reserved to the initiated). But there are other schools of Buddhism which do have secret teachings that require previous initiation.

By the way, apart from the secrecy (which I dislike), I really do think "initiation" in general corresponds to real steps in the development of a person, beyond the usual "coming of age" type initiations which are part of most cultures.

Weird how these two, esoteric knowledge and initiation, got entangled. I'd be interested in the views of @Nick the Pilot, and @Arif Ghamiq.

Last edited:
Yeah my masked magician reference didnt mean we (unitics) keep secrets...but believe we expose obvious ones that are hidden in plain sight.

When I first saw the metaphysical Bible dictionary and looked at all the various definitions of names and places and relationships between them, I thought, yeah right. But then I was looking in the back of an old family bible and noticed that the definitions were similar to what was found in the metaphysical Bible dictionary. And then looking up passages I noticed that the original 12 tribes leaders were named after their perceived personal traits. And looking at Jewish baby naming books, the definitions in those books quite aligned with the definitions in the metaphysical Bible dictionary.

One funny thing is every time I take that beliefnet what do you believe quiz, I end up breaking high in theravada Buddhism, sometimes higher than new thought which is where Unity comes from.

There is no initiation in unity. The big difference between unity and conventional Christianity is the belief that we are to attain our Christ self. Be our own conduit to G!d. That nobody can save us, that we need to learn it is up to us to save ourcellves.

I thoroughly enjoy inspiration and contemplation that the definitions in the metaphysical Bible dictionary provide when you substitute the definitions with the words found in the Bible. It develops a whole new perspective of what's Happening during horrific passages. It is also interesting to read who travels together and encounters different issues. Is it faith and love (Peter and John) or Thomas and James (understanding and wisdom) it brings ancient texts into usable material to use in my life's encounters.

Jesus brought disciples along to help him grow, just as we surround ourcellves with friends who we believe will benefit our growth in this life.

To me, the 12 powers the disciples brought tonthe table is not so similar praying to catholic saints, or Hindu Gods we are bolstering our confidence by bringing with us a hidden advantage.

Jesus brought disciples along to help him grow,
Really?
just as we surround ourselves with friends
Some do. Others prefer to be alone a lot
who we believe will benefit our growth in this life.
Is that the key reason? It may be for personal support, to bolster our own confidence confirm our own opinions, or simply because a person gets bored in their own company ... many reasons?

Last edited:
If your faith has esoteric, i.e. hidden, secret, initiatory teachings - how well protected are they?
With one proviso (which I'll come to) the answer is no ... anyone can walk in off the street and receive the Eucharist.

Can anyone google them on the internet?
And some! As I've said elsewhere, there is 'Christian esoterism' and 'esoteric Christianity'. That latter, which rears its head periodically, is largely an elitist 'whoo-hoo' construct.

What happens to someone accessing teachings they have not been initiated to read?
I am of the opinion that, unlike the who-hoo esoterist with their secret chambers, the teavhings are in plain sight ... whether the person can see them is a whole other matter.

As an analogy, when I studied Japanese swordsmanship, there were two schools of thought: you start on the simple stuff, and keep the okuden ('inner treachings') until the student shows maturity. Or, you show everything from the get-go, and the student grasps what they can, and this is an ongoing, deepening process.

Personally, I favour that latter, because I think organic growth is never a linear progression. I had an 'OMG' breakthrough moment studying one particular technique, and picked up an okuden subtlety without being told (it was a small movement of the wrists which had a massive ergonomic effect), my instructor saw it, and then drew my attention to what I was doing, and then used to get me to demo that technique, but there was another one I was useless at!

I think we all have those 'OMG' moments. Likde, as I've said before, listening to a physicist explain that the heavy elements, particularly carbon atoms, need extraordinary conditions for their production – a stellar furnace – and that we are a lot of carbon, at which point the 'you are made of stardust' struck home and I could feel it deep in my guts.

But I don't understand the implications of Quantum Theory!

Do the mysteries protect themselves, or do the faithful have to protect them?
Ah ... a whole lot of discussion there. The best way to hide something is in plain sight, to make little of it ... but then there might be secrets I don't know!

In my Tradition, and others, I believe, there is a belief that there are always three people active in prayer, and that those three preserve the cosmos from destruction ...

+++

The proviso mentioned above is the idea of apokatastasis, the 'final restoration' of all things according to their primordial perfection, a very dangerous teaching pastorally, because it offers a carte blanche to the sinner that his sins don't matter!

just as we surround ourcellves with friends who we believe will benefit our growth in this life.
Is that the key reason? It may be for personal support, to bolster our own confidence confirm our own opinions, or simply because a person gets bored in their own company ... many reasons?
Do those not all fit under my umbrella statement? (They are meant to)
In my Tradition, and others, I believe, there is a belief that there are always three people active in prayer, and that those three preserve the cosmos from destruction ...
https://www.unity.org/prayer/about-silent-unity

Back