Hidden in plain sight

Discussion in 'Alternative' started by Cino, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic) Admin

If your faith has esoteric, i.e. hidden, secret, initiatory teachings - how well protected are they?

Can anyone google them on the internet?

What happens to someone accessing teachings they have not been initiated to read?

Do the mysteries protect themselves, or do the faithful have to protect them?

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Not really, I see Unity as more like the masked magician....revealing secrets hidden in Scripture and making them available for all.

Tis the basic purpose of the "metaphysical bible dictionary"...and the religions origins. Fillmore was originally teaching midweek bible study to christians of various denominations...until the group said they wanted a Sunday service from him.

3. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic) Admin

Does Unity view the Scripture (or parts of it) as an esoteric text, then?

Good that it makes the hidden meanings available open-handed, I like that. It's an attitude also at work in Theravada Buddhism, where the Buddha is said to have taught "with an open hand" (i.e. without special teachings reserved to the initiated). But there are other schools of Buddhism which do have secret teachings that require previous initiation.

By the way, apart from the secrecy (which I dislike), I really do think "initiation" in general corresponds to real steps in the development of a person, beyond the usual "coming of age" type initiations which are part of most cultures.

Weird how these two, esoteric knowledge and initiation, got entangled. I'd be interested in the views of @Nick the Pilot, and @Arif Ghamiq.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021