My take on the Jhanas from a Jungian perspective.

Cino

Big Love! (Atheist mystic)
Admin
Reaction score
Here's a working definition for solid concentration in any of the rupa jhanas: Bringing together different senses into the concentration. For example, a hand mudra, the mental equivalent of the mudra, and a seed syllable - form the hand into a loose fist, hold the concept of a fist in the mind, and chant "Ah", and hold all three things in concentration.

What do you think?

seattlegal

Mercuræn Buddhist
Reaction score
Here's a working definition for solid concentration in any of the rupa jhanas: Bringing together different senses into the concentration. For example, a hand mudra, the mental equivalent of the mudra, and a seed syllable - form the hand into a loose fist, hold the concept of a fist in the mind, and chant "Ah", and hold all three things in concentration.

What do you think?
If it works for you, great.

Thomas

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I wrote this ... I'm always up for a good heated debate! :D
Just to say I find covid care duties distracting, so I want to get into this, but I need to take time to read and contemplate. Enjoying reading, though.

Cino

Big Love! (Atheist mystic)
Admin
Reaction score

Aupmanyav

Search, be your own guru.
Reaction score
.. the Holy Spirit does not take over your mind ..
I would not let any holy spirit take over my mind. My mind is exclusively mine.
Seattlegal and Cino, you are being too technical. If I want to contemplate on something, I can switch off other thought immediately, instantaneously. Other people also can do that. So what else is required?

Last edited:

seattlegal

Mercuræn Buddhist
Reaction score
I would not let any holy spirit take over my mind. My mind is exclusively mine.
Seattlegal and Cino, you are being too technical. If I want to contemplate on something, I can switch off other thought immediately, instantaneously. Other people also can do that. So what else is required?
Recognizing each mental formation for what it is, imo.