Does lifelong celibacy reduce or increase life expectancy?

I mention men that have been celibate because I've always been able to talk with men and have never asked such questions of women.

All of the other women I've known that have been celibate practiced celibacy for religious reasons. Two were clearly practicing in an unhealthy, repressive way. One was simply very devout. One was sort of a New Age type and believed in conserving her "orgone."

I'm the only ace woman that I know, as far as I'm aware, although it's not like sexual orientation is a regular topic of discussion for me so I've probably met a few others without knowing. I do know two other ace folk but they're both nonbinary.

All of the other women I've known that have been celibate practiced celibacy for religious reasons. Two were clearly practicing in an unhealthy, repressive way. One was simply very devout. One was sort of a New Age type and believed in conserving her "orgone."

I'm the only ace woman that I know, as far as I'm aware, although it's not like sexual orientation is a regular topic of discussion for me so I've probably met a few others without knowing. I do know two other ace folk but they're both nonbinary.
Ace? I know lots of women who live alone and have no partners....... I just don't discuss this subject with them, but very few of these women are religious....... Very few people around here are religious. For example, my wife works with about ten other female colleagues, and only one is a practicing Christian.

Question:- Do you have any kind of strong focus or serious interest? I ask because my asexual friends have all had very strong habits or serious hobbies.

Question:- Do you have any kind of strong focus or serious interest? I ask because my asexual friends have all had very strong habits or serious hobbies.

I actually struggle with apathy. Many days, I don't even have a serious interest in getting out of bed. Stoicism has helped me cultivate an indifference to my apathy so that I can focus on doing what I "should" do even when I'm not interested in it.

The closest to a serious interest I have is probably computational logic. I do also find computer networks engaging, particularly low-level networking that deals with protocol formats and packets but also server administration.

I actually struggle with apathy. Many days, I don't even have a serious interest in getting out of bed. Stoicism has helped me cultivate an indifference to my apathy so that I can focus on doing what I "should" do even when I'm not interested in it.

The closest to a serious interest I have is probably computational logic. I do also find computer networks engaging, particularly low-level networking that deals with protocol formats and packets but also server administration.

Thank you for answering my question. You could be a very happy person and love to laze in bed, and many folks who work two jobs might actually welcome the opportunity to have an occasional snooze-in; but it doesn't sound like a state of contentment. :)

There are quite a few ace women out there. I used to consider myself a sapiosexual until I realized that it is an exercise in futility. ;)

Thank you for answering my question. You could be a very happy person and love to laze in bed, and many folks who work two jobs might actually welcome the opportunity to have an occasional snooze-in; but it doesn't sound like a state of contentment. :)

I am not happy. I am apathetic, which comes with a heavy dose of anhedonia.

I don't laze in bed or snooze in. I am punctual and efficient. I get more work done than my coworkers and have, on occasion, had to teach them how to do things. While I don't work two jobs, I do dedicate a substantial portion of my free time to volunteering.

I am not lazy. I suffer from apathy.

I am learning to be content with my apathy and live a productive life in spite of it thanks to Stoicism.

Last edited:
I am not happy. I am apathetic, which comes with a heavy dose of anhedonia
This saddens me.

I think so much of what you post is spot on. You have the kind of intelligence combined with reason that I admire...yet you struggle.

Makes me believe that ignorance is bliss and frankly glad i don't know enough to be aware

This saddens me.

I think so much of what you post is spot on. You have the kind of intelligence combined with reason that I admire...yet you struggle.

Makes me believe that ignorance is bliss and frankly glad i don't know enough to be aware

There is the concept of "depressive realism." Personally, though, I'm skeptical. I think people who are depressed tend to over-exaggerate negative qualities and the potential for negative outcomes.

I think whether we find ourselves with an abundance of high-quality knowledge or in the deepest pits of ignorance, bliss comes from within. Neurological and psychiatric illness can just disrupt that ability in some unfortunate people.

Personally, I don't mind too much. I think happiness is a worthwhile sacrifice for being a bit more objective. There is a certain stability to apathy.

I am not happy. I am apathetic, which comes with a heavy dose of anhedonia.

I don't laze in bed or snooze in. I am punctual and efficient. I get more work done than my coworkers and have, on occasion, had to teach them how to do things. While I don't work two jobs, I do dedicate a substantial portion of my free time to volunteering.

I am not lazy. I suffer from apathy.

I am learning to be content with my apathy and live a productive life in spite of it thanks to Stoicism.

Ah...... I had reacted to your comment about 'I don't even have a serious interest in getting out of bed.'
And you do have a job, and instruct/supervise, and you also get out there and do a lot of volunteering.

Now I get a more accurate picture. :)

Back