Electric Vehicles!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by badger, May 8, 2022.

1. badger

badger Well-Known Member

My wife doesn't like driving her car, but she drove herself to work for a month, just in case I might not be able to see very well after my eye operations.
    Our little Jimny atv is hers but I am on the insurance to drive it. I love it!

2. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai Moderator

badger likes this.
  3. badger

badger Well-Known Member

Interesting article!
    I was with friends recently when when I was asked about my electric 'vespa' and one of them explained loudly that I am not green at all, in fact positively high carbon...... an imposter! All this in half amusing but half serious tone. Of course, I didn't buy an EV to save the planet (!) but because I've been interested in EVs for many years...built an electric bike about 40 years ago.

On most occasions when it takes me to the shops, etc somebody will ask me about it. I've owned wonderful big-cc bikes, used to drive an ageing lady's Corvette once a month (!) , once had a Nissan sx 3000 company car (?) and have owned a home made mini-moke which turned the occasional eye, but no machine that I have ever driven attracts as much interest as this little EV scooter. We are definitely getting interested in EVs here, but my neighbour's big V8 gas guzzler can turn every head when it cruises off up the road. Yeah.

Fashions are so strange. I've ridden vespas for 57 years and there were times when bunches of school kids would point and joke as I rode past, and then a few years later bunches of school kids would show wondrous desire.... and then on to the next generation. At the moment they show extraordinary interest in this one.

4. Namaste Jesus

Yeah, my interest in EV's is purely selfish. Nothing to do with reducing my carbon footprint, saving the planet or any other popular catch phrase. I just like the idea of being able to fill-up at home and not having to change the oil. Well that and the prospect of a sub-6 sec 0 to 60! :)

5. badger

badger Well-Known Member

Ha ha ! Oh, and yeah, you're looking at a slightly more serious machine if you want high acceleration like that. EVs sure do have torgue though, my little scooter can take off brilliantly.

6. Namaste Jesus

badger likes this.
  7. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Is it on a VW bug ev chassis?

8. Namaste Jesus

Not a lot of tech data yet, but just studying the promo pics, it appears to have an aftermarket VW type torsion bar front suspension setup and some sort of independent arrangement out back. So, the chassis makeup appears to be a combo of new and old. According to the article I linked to, it's powered by a pair of electric motors, one driving each rear wheel. So evidently, both transmission and differential have been eliminated, as with VW's current electric chassis module. Supposedly pre-production test models will be available next year and full production will begin the following. Darn neat vehicle.

Screenshot 2022-08-10 2.39.38 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-10 2.39.00 PM.png

badger likes this.
  9. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

2 n 4 hub motor/alternators look to be the current move...coasting and breaking recharges to conserve energy....

badger likes this.