This next month! Slimming Badger!

badger

Reaction score
On Saturday my wife took me to the hospital to have a cataract removal operation. They carry out this op on one eye at a time here. I asked that my right eye be the first for this op because it had the worst cataract (like a very thick autumn fog) and had such distorted vision that my brain had stopped bothering with it's signals 70 years ago... I've always looked out upon the world through my left eye, became a left handed full-bore rifle and bow shot because of this, etc etc.

They could bust that one! Well, that's what I thought last Saturday. After the operation, when the discomforts and pains were gone and I took my first glimpse of the surgery sitting area, and there was such colour as I have never seen before, and I could read posters with my right eye more easily than with my left.......... my brain is wondering what's going on!

But this bossy nurse told me lots of rules, reinforced by my wife (typical! :) ) that I can't get the ducks out, feed them, manage their water, do any gardening, go cycling, do any DIY jobs.... I can't do anything for a month! And then they will do my other eye and so this summer I'm going to be a very bored person.

But I can go walking! So that's my month, coming up. I've started my 'no food before 5pm' diet this morning ( :( ) and will carry out three 3-mile walks each day to local stores, charity shop visits etc. I want to lose about 2 stone....... so here goes it for a miserable starved uninteresting spartan month....... Oh well...... :D

On Saturday my wife took me to the hospital to have a cataract removal operation. They carry out this op on one eye at a time here. I asked that my right eye be the first for this op because it had the worst cataract (like a very thick autumn fog) and had such distorted vision that my brain had stopped bothering with it's signals 70 years ago... I've always looked out upon the world through my left eye, became a left handed full-bore rifle and bow shot because of this, etc etc.

They could bust that one! Well, that's what I thought last Saturday. After the operation, when the discomforts and pains were gone and I took my first glimpse of the surgery sitting area, and there was such colour as I have never seen before, and I could read posters with my right eye more easily than with my left.......... my brain is wondering what's going on!

But this bossy nurse told me lots of rules, reinforced by my wife (typical! :) ) that I can't get the ducks out, feed them, manage their water, do any gardening, go cycling, do any DIY jobs.... I can't do anything for a month! And then they will do my other eye and so this summer I'm going to be a very bored person.

But I can go walking! So that's my month, coming up. I've started my 'no food before 5pm' diet this morning ( :( ) and will carry out three 3-mile walks each day to local stores, charity shop visits etc. I want to lose about 2 stone....... so here goes it for a miserable starved uninteresting spartan month....... Oh well...... :D
I've recently had both cataract operations. I think the main thing is no lifting or bending. Google images of "dislocated lens" if you neeed convincing. But yes, brilliant results.
No food before 5pm? That sounds extreme and borderline not good. You might faint?

I've recently had both cataract operations. I think the main thing is no lifting or bending. Google images of "dislocated lens" if you neeed convincing. But yes, brilliant results.
No food before 5pm? That sounds extreme and borderline not good. You might faint?
I've still got another to go....in a few weeks.

Everybody tells me that my ideas about dieting are no good. But I know me (a bit), and if I as much as sniff at a snack in the morning I've had it and won't reach 11am without chewing the furniture. But if I only drink fluids all day my stomach doesn't seem to wake up and I can cruise through until 5pm without difficulty.

A JW friend of mine has a strange diet, if he's losing weight he won't eat on Wednesdays and Saturdays but any other day he can gorge himself! :)

Update.
A vacancy became free for 1330 hrs today, Sunday, so I grabbed it.
I'm going to have the lens changed in my left eye today!
My right eye has healed wonderfully and my vision and colour perception is the best I've known in my whole life, but my wife has a colleague whose mother had the operation last week and she can't see at all yet, all around her eye is badly bruised and 'they' are worried for her.
It's pot lick, I'm afraid.......... so here goes......... at 1330hrs.
:)

I can go walking! So that's my month, coming up. I've started my 'no food before 5pm' diet this morning ( :( ) and will carry out three 3-mile walks each day to local stores, charity shop visits etc. I want to lose about 2 stone....... so here goes it for a miserable starved uninteresting spartan month....... Oh well......
2 stone in a month?

3 3 mile walks? I have yet to be able to walk 3 miles at a stretch! My best was over a year ago and 2.7 miles....with more than a couple rest stops.

But good on ya.

Hope your you can "see" your way to all your goals!

Was sick the week
I've just finished a seven day fast
Feel better for it ...

Last edited:
@Cino @Thomas @wil @RJM and all,,,,,,,

Thank you for your kind thoughts and posts.
I was forewarned about widely differing outcomes from these ops, my eife's colleagues Mum being an example, so I was more nervous thgan before the first op even though it went well.

This one was quite different, surgeon, pre op prep, less pain, more blurry after, all yesterday pm in pain and horrible iiritation with very mistly vision, thoughts that theyt had messed up this time, and eye all bunged up this morning. Nice..... If you ever feel niggled with a member during a strong discussion you secretly wish this one on ;em, cos they'll suffer but later see the light...... :D

I can't have overhead lights on, yet need a torch to find some keys cos they are worn and i cant have specs for six weeks.

this is a long post but for a while you may be getting short posts!
Wot? Nah!
Yes!
Ta!
etc etc

This morning (Thursday) I finished my home duties and then cycled to the Tesco supermarket, three miles slightly uphill and in to a breeze. A lot of fine fit folks could run that in less time than the thirty minutes that it took me! Anyway, I purchased dog-chews as ordered, and then went to book an eye test with the in-store optician company for 1st July. The medics say to wait six weeks from the operation/s before booking a test, and after this last 24 hours of unbelievable eyesight development I can understand why.

The receptionist asked me lots of questions, mostly directing me towards some new varifocal wonder, so I needed to explain that for forty years I have always just used distance specs and added clip-ons with differing magnification powers, and am very oriented to doing just that. Although I can now read a vehicle number plate at a much greater distance than the UK requirement I do want to see if an optician can tweek my vision even more because I like to watch birdlife through a scope and definition matters.

And then I cycled home...... 20 minutes slightly downhill. When I got home I told my gymnastical serious-biker neighbour my times....30 mins there, 20minutes back. Hmnmm.....he can do it either way in under 14 minutes, that's what youth, vigour, massive health and sinewy strength can do. I've got age, dodgy health, and flabby weakness so you can see how those times click. :)

Diet? Yes. With occasional sins, like when my Missus brings home her colleagues home-baked sausage rolls. Yeah...... but sin can be fun! :D

@badget
Are you sure you should be cycling yet?

@badget
Are you sure you should be cycling yet?
No, not sure.
Just doing it.
Nobody is there to bully me on Thursday mornings.
But don't tell my Missus!

Back