Does these things right about Christianity ?

Friend

In the Name of God
Reaction score
Salaamu Alyckum

I need someone to answer my question here ,Is it right that the following things related to Christianity according to Jesus teaching :

- The Bible says very clearly that Jesus used to fast.

- The Bible says that Jesus prayed by touching his forehead to the ground .

- According to Jesus, he told his disciples to greet one another with the expression, "Peace be with you."

- The brother of Jesus in the Book of James, stated that no man should suggest what he is about to do of highlight his plans for the next few days in anyway without adding the phrase "if God wills." Do not say "I will go here and there do this and that" without adding the phrase "if God wills."

May God bless all

Kindest Regards, Friend, welcome to CR!
Friend said:
I need someone to answer my question here ,Is it right that the following things should be practice in Christianity according to Jesus teaching: The Bible says very clearly that Jesus used to fast.
Yes, Jesus fasted. There are Christians who fast, but the only branch that teaches institutional fasting is the Catholic Church. Christians that fast, do so for a number of reasons, often to seek better favor with God, but it is not mandated for any specific time of year. Fasting is good for the health.

The Bible says that Jesus prayed by touching his forehead to the ground.
I don't recall this, but I was taught to pray whenever or wherever I was. Some kneel by their beds. Some kneel in pews at church. Some roll on the floor in agony repenting. Some ask a silent prayer out of hearing of any around. There is a verse that says "take your prayers to your closet", meaning not to broadcast your prayers to any who will listen.

According to Jesus, he told his disciples to greet one another with the expression, "Peace be with you."

It's been awhile, but I seem to recall Jesus saying something like this to his disciples. But that was not the only greeting he ever used, nor was it mandated or made obligatory. I could be shown mistaken, but that is my understanding. And often the Jews greet and depart with "Shalom", peace. A great deal of Jesus' teachings revolved around peace.

The brother of Jesus in the Book of James, stated that no man should suggest what he is about to do of highlight his plans for the next few days in anyway without adding the phrase "if God wills." Do not say "I will go here and there do this and that" without adding the phrase "if God wills."
In the English, we sometimes say something like "Good Lord willing." It means the same thing. I rather like the book of James, and I don't recall that part you mention. Maybe someone else here sees something I don't.

May God bless all
Amen

I believe in fasting.. Im not Catholic though. Daniel fasted when he needed to be close to God. all he ate was high carb vegetables and drank water. Anytime you deny yourself something worldly you are fasting and its a sacrifice to God.

As far as I am aware fasting was about developing self discipline and also similar to a detox today. But yet one can become self discipliined in one's actions and listening to the will of GOD without the necessity for fasting. Of course it was much easier to fast in hot countries as I have found one's appetite is not the same as in cooler countries.

May peace be with you is also said a lot in the Essene Gospels.

Sacredstar

Salaam
Thanks about replies ,If these things actually in Christianity ,so we(Muslims ) have something in common with Christianity .and I want to search about other things to see where we are meet instead of where we are different.

I have another questions
Is Mormonism Christian?
Is the Mormon church a Christian denomination?'
What about Mormon teachings about God ??and Mormon teachings about Jesus??

Thanks

Dear Friend

Well fasting is not part of Christian doctrine as such it is just mentioned in the bible and some of the gospels not included in the bible. But to my knowledge most Christians do not fast. Like Muslims do at Ramadan.

Well I know very little about the Mormons but their teachings are based upon the Christian bible. It appears that Mormons teach that Christians are little GODs. Probably based upon the following passages when Jesus said 'Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?' and Paul said 'And ye are Christ's and Christ is GOD's.' 1 Corinthians 3:23

The piece of scripture from John 10 is where Jesus is challenged by the Jews and he responds:

22 And it was at Jerusalem the feast of the dedication, and it was winter. 23 And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon's porch. 24 Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly.

25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me. 26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. 30 I and my Father are one.

31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. 32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? 33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are GODs? 35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; 36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God? 37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. 38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

Love beyond measure

Sacredstar

Jesus Gave us a example of a perfect prayer , later we see that we can call unto God as a son calls out to his father in need. Praying in the Church world at that time there were two types one where a faithful man feverently asked God for the things needful in his life and thanked Him for his blessings. The other was offensive to God it was preformed for the public Like a Public speech done to build peoples respect of the person praying rather than draw people to God.

Jesus said when you pray enter a closet and make it a private affair that would be a personal type. A puplic type paul said he would rather speak 5 words of understanding.
I would some it up like this if you are bowing touching your forehead to the ground out of respect for God than I respect your faith and believe God will also.
If you are doing it because you want men to see you as faithful (as a show)
Your motives are wrong and you need to examine your faith.
Fasting the same rules apply. I had a need a prayer I felt important enough to take extra measures besides prayer. I myself fasted for 7 days water and bread only anytime I felt the pangs of hunger I prayed. Friend my prayer was answered my daughter spent 9 yrs with No siezure activity. I believe in fasting I tell you this not to boast of myself but to proclaim the power of Gods word. I would encourage you in your most desperate need to fast and pray keep it between you and God do what makes you feel close to God not looking for the approval of men but for the approval of God.

As far as the question of the Morman Church being Christain well it depends on how you define Christian.
Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
I dont Give any Man the authority to write or re-write Gods word Doesnt matter to me if its Morman or Catholic or Baptist until I see. I believe in the Bible as it was translated in the KJV I myself can go back to the original Greek and Hebrew word and in almost all cases agree with the translation. The ones I dont agree are simple words that were replaced with mor modern words for example :
3: And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. (Then were the days of unleavened bread.)
4: And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.
You will notice the direct reference to the days of unleavened bread this was the time of passover the 14 of nisan. The translators of the KJV instead of using the word passover used the word easter the "Christain equal" not a big deal but I assure you the Jewish king was not celebrating the ressurection of Christ and hunting easter eggs.

This kind of translation is easy to look over and still hold faith in the truth of Gods word. The writings of what most considered a fanatic leader however I would be very cautious in putting my faith in. When deciding this remember God does not Change if he said it in the begining it holds true today. False Doctrine is not always easy to spot takes comparing the Bible with ALL the doctrine of the church in question.

I have done my comparision I know how I see it but will not on this forum post that view for fear of offending anyone. If you would like send me a private message for more info

on a funny note Paul said to Pray without ceasing That would be hard to do if your forehead were always on the Ground

Hello Friend

Jesus most definately fasted. While many Christians fast we do not have set times to fast.

As to how Jesus prayed or wanted us to prayer I get the feeling it was anyway we need to. a few examples..
  • Mark 11:25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have aught against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.
  • Luke 22:41 And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed,
  • Matthew 26:39 And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.
So when he was face down he certainly could have had his forehead on the ground.

I dont recall him telling them to greet anyone in certain ways but he did greet them a couple times that I remember with: Peace, unto you.

Ok the touchy one now.
Is Mormonism christian? easy one word definition no.
Is Mormonism a christian doctrine? not according to the majority of christians for a few of the reasons to answer the third part of your question.
  • There are many gods, Mormon Doctrine, p. 163.
  • God used to be a man on another planet, Mormon Doctrine, p. 321. Joseph Smith, Times and Seasons, Vol 5, pp. 613-614; Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, Vol 2, p. 345, Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 333.
  • After you become a good Mormon, you have the potential of becoming a god, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pages 345-347, 354.
  • The first spirit to be born in heaven was Jesus, Mormon Doctrine, page 129.
  • God had sexual relations with Mary to make the body of Jesus, Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 4, p. 218, 1857; vol. 8, p. 115.
  • There is no salvation without accepting Joseph Smith as a prophet of God, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1, p. 188.
Link removed by the moderator in accordance with the COC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dor SHHHHHHHH there may be Mormans listening (lol just kidding)

I would invite any Morman friends to respond the Dor's Post I myself would like to read the responce and see any facts.

True the Mormons use the Old and New Testament some there main beliefs are all from:
The Book of Morman
Doctrine and Covenants
Pearl of Great Price
which they put above both the old and new testaments

Daniels Fast

Daniel 1:8 But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's delicacies, nor with the wine which he drank; therefore he requested of the chief of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself. 9 Now God had brought Daniel into the favor and goodwill of the chief of the eunuchs. 10 And the chief of the eunuchs said to Daniel, "I fear my lord the king, who has appointed your food and drink. For why should he see your faces looking worse than the young men who are your age? Then you would endanger my head before the king." 11 So Daniel said to the steward F1 whom the chief of the eunuchs had set over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, 12 "Please test your servants for ten days, and let them give us vegetables to eat and water to drink. 13 Then let our appearance be examined before you, and the appearance of the young men who eat the portion of the king's delicacies; and as you see fit, so deal with your servants." 14 So he consented with them in this matter, and tested them ten days. 15 And at the end of ten days their features appeared better and fatter in flesh than all the young men who ate the portion of the king's delicacies. 16 Thus the steward took away their portion of delicacies and the wine that they were to drink, and gave them vegetables.

He fasted for 10 days with eating vegetables and drinking water before he had his visions. Christians that do fast use it in a period of time when they are seeking closer communication with God. It is not a mandatory thing.. just like some Christians read the bible and pray everyday whereas others dont.. It doesnt make you a Christian it just helps to draw you closer to God. Its a sacrifice to God.. denying yourself a wordly thing for God. The sacrifice of praise is praising God when you least want to. Sacrifice of a broken spirit is when your at rock bottom and you seek God because you cant handle it anymore. These things please him.

Friend said:
Salaam
Thanks about replies ,If these things actually in Christianity ,so we(Muslims ) have something in common with Christianity .and I want to search about other things to see where we are meet instead of where we are different.

Dear Friend,

This is an excellent approach and I think that we will find many things in common between Islam and Christianity, things even more important than fasting and prayer positions. Such pratices are important for bringing our lives in alignment with God's will but I think that the deeper things we share are even more brilliant. :) We all seek peace, justice, and compassion and both of our religions teach these things.

Fasting is part of Christianity as well and the upcoming season of Lent is a traditional time for fasting, in addition to the situations others have pointed out above. In Lent fasting can take the form of giving up certain foods or habits, as well as fasting throughout the day and focus on prayer and service. Actually I have heard that there is a specific practice for fasting during Lent in Christianity although I'm not sure how it is Biblically based. I think I will research this more.

Permit me to share one of my favorite passages about fasting from the Bible.

Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter--when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

Then your light will break forth like the dawn and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard. Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; you will cry for hlep, and He will say: Here am I. (Isaiah 58:6-9)

peace,
lunamoth

Dear Friend it appears that the

TESTIMONY OF THE PROPHET JOSEPH SMITH became the Book of Mormon, but I have not read any of this.

Sacredstar

Dear Friend

I have found something for you from the the Jesus Sutra's by Martin Palmer that you might find interesting.

These few lines are from the 'The Second Liturgical Sutra - Let Us Praise'

Invocation of the Dharma Kings and Sacred Sutra's
Let us praise Allaha - Great Father and Mysterious One
Let us praise the Messiah - his Supreme Son
Let us praise the Holy Spirit, who witnesses divinity
These three beings creating as One.
Let us praise the Dharma

May we all unite in oneness and unity, one people, one planet, one heart.

Blessings in abundance

Sacredstar

I know this thread is long dead, but I don't think there are any other Latter-Day Saints here and I'd like to clear this up.

First, I'd like to ask you to visit link removed by the Moderator, an official site of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints which has factual information about or beliefs and will answer most of your questions.

We, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, often called "Mormons" believe we are Christians. We believe Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world and the Messiah.

Our scriptural canon, often called the Standard Works, are the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine & Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. None do we place above the others, and neither do any of them conflict.

The Holy Bible includes both the Old and New Testaments and we use the King James Version. The Bible is a record of the prophets and apostles of the Old World.

The Book of Mormon was translated by Joseph Smith, and is a record of ancient prophets in the Americans who left Jerusalem circa 600 B.C. as directed by the Lord so they would be spared from taken into captivity by the Babylonians.

The Doctrine & Covenants is a modern-day record of the modern prophets.

The Pearl of Great Price is a small collection of other select scripture, including the Book of Moses and the Book of Abraham as translated by the Prophet Joseph Smith; Joseph Smith - Matthew, a translation of the last chapter of the Gospel of St. Matthew as found in the Bible; Joseph Smith History, telling how Joseph Smith was called and his finding the Golden Plates on which were engraved the Book of Mormon; and the Articles of Faith, which contain our basic beliefs.

For the record, the book Mormon Doctrine is not an official publication of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and is not scripture.

For more information about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, please visit link removed by the moderator for official, factual information about our religion.

Links removed by the moderator in accordance with the COC.

Last edited by a moderator:
this information will give you a brief overview of Mormonism,

Official Name: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS, Mormons)Founder: Joseph Smith Jr., on April 6, 1830
Current Leader: Gordon B. Hinckley (b. 1910)
Headquarters: Salt Lake City, Utah
Membership (1998):Worldwide: 10.3 million in 28,670 wards and branches in 162 countries; United States: 5.1 million in all 50 states and D.C.;
Canada: 152,000
Missionaries (1998): 58,700

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was founded by Joseph F. Smith Jr. (1805–1844). Smith claimed to have had a visitation from God in 1820 in which God directed him to establish the true church. Consequently,he organized the Mormon church on April 6, 1830, with six original members. Beginning with a few hundred followers, the church moved to Ohio, Missouri, and Illinois before Smith’s death at the hands of a mob at the Carthage, Ill., jail. Smith had been arrested for encouraging the destruction of the​
Expositor, a Nauvoo, Ill., newspaper.

One True Church: The Mormon church claims to be the only true church. In God’s supposed revelation to Joseph Smith, Jesus Christ told him join no other church for "they were all wrong . . . their creeds were an abomination . . . those professors [members] were all corrupt" (The Pearl of Great Price, Joseph Smith History—1:19).Mormons teach that after the New Testament, all churches became heretical and no true saints existed until the "Church of the Latter-day Saints" was organized, hence their name. Non-Mormons are thus called "Gentiles." The new revelations given to Smith, the institution of the prophet and apostles in the church, the restoration of the divine priesthoods, and the temple ceremonies make the church authentic. True and full salvation or exaltation is found only in the LDS church.
Biblical Response: The true Church of Jesus Christ has had an ongoing presence and witness in the world since Pentecost. Jesus Christ promised that His Church, true baptized and regenerate believers, would not fail (Matt. 16:17,18). The marks of a true church include faithfulness to the teaching of the first apostles (Acts 2:42)—not the creation of new doctrines.
Authority of the Prophet: The president or prophet of the church is thought to be the sole spokesman and revelator of God. Joseph Smith was the initial prophet, but each successive president holds that position. Through him God’s will can be made known to the church. All revelations are made scripture and no Mormon can attain godhood without accepting Joseph Smith as a true prophet. The Mormon scriptures state that Latter-day Saints "shalt give heed unto all his [the prophet’s] words and commandments . . . For his word ye shall receive as if from mine [God’s] own mouth" (Doctrine and Covenants 21:4–5).
Biblical Response: Old and New Testament prophets were God’s spokesmen. Their words were always consistent with the Bible and pointed to God’s Son, Jesus Christ. A test of genuineness for prophets was that any prediction they proclaimed would come true (Deut. 18:20–22). For example, Joseph Smith predicted that the temple of the church would be built in Independence, Mo., within his lifetime (Doctrine and Covenants 84:2–5). No temple has yet been built there. New Testament prophets spoke, along with teachers, pastors, and evangelists, in evangelizing with and edifying the church (Eph. 4:11–13).
Mormon Scripture: Mormons accept four books as scripture and the word of God. The King James Version of the Bible is one of them, but only "as far as it is translated correctly"—seemingly allowing for possible questions about its authority. Joseph Smith made over 600 corrections to its text. Other "standard works" are the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price. The Bible is missing "plain and precious parts" according to the Book of Mormon (1 Nephi 13:26), which the other three volumes complete. The Book of Mormon has the "fullness of the gospel" and tells the story of a supposed migration of Israelites in 600 B.C. to the American continent. These Israelites subsequently lapsed into apostasy although their story was preserved on golden plates written in "Reformed Egyptian." Joseph Smith, it is said, translated the plates by the "gift and power of God" (Doctrine and Covenants 135:3). Reformed Egyptian does not exist as a language. The golden plates were returned to the angel Moroni after they were transcribed and Moroni returned them to heaven. The Book of Mormon does not contain explicit Mormon doctrine. Doctrine and Covenants contains the revelations of the Mormon prophets—138 in number along with two "declarations." Here most of Mormon doctrine can be found including the priesthood, baptism for the dead, godhood, and polygamy. The Pearl of Great Price contains Smith’s religious history, the Articles of Faith, the Book of Abraham, and the Book of Moses.
Biblical Response: The Bible explicitly warns against adding to or detracting from its teaching (Rev. 22:18; Deut. 4:2). The New Testament contains the inspired and totally accurate witness of contemporary disciples and followers of Jesus. It alone claims to be fully inspired by God and usable for the establishment of doctrine (2 Tim. 3:15–17; 2 Pet. 1:19–21).
Establishment of Temples: The first Mormon temple was constructed in Kirtland, Ohio, in 1836. A temple was constructed in Nauvoo, Ill., in 1846. Presently there are at least 53 operating temples throughout the world including the one finished in Salt Lake City in 1893. The purpose and function of temples is for the practice of eternal ordinances, including primarily baptism for the dead, endowments, and celestial marriages. Baptism in the Mormon church, for both the living and the dead, is essential for the fullness of salvation. The dead often are baptized by proxy, which affords them after death the opportunity to become Mormons. Celestial marriage for "time and eternity" is also a temple ordinance. It is necessary for godhood and seals the marriage forever. Temples form an essential part of Mormon salvation. Only Mormons in possession of a "temple recommend" by their bishop may enter a temple.
Biblical Response: The Temple of the Old Testament was a place of symbolic sacrifice fore-figuring the sacrifice of Christ. Worship in the Jewish temple in Jerusalem was a practice of early Jewish believers (Acts 2:46). Otherwise there is no mention of any such practice in the New Testament. Never was the Jewish temple used for baptism for the dead, marriage, or other secret ceremonies. It was the place in the Old Testament where the glory of God occasionally dwelt. Today the individualbeliever is God’s dwelling place and not a physical building (1 Cor. 3:16).
God Is an Exalted Man: Elohim, the god of this universe, was previously a man in a prior existence. As a result of having kept the requirements of Mormonism, he was exalted to godhood and inherited his own universe. God is confined to a "body of flesh and bones" (Doctrine and Covenants 130:22) and yet is thought to be omniscient and omnipotent. He obviously cannot be omnipresent. There are an infinite number of gods with their own worlds—these too were previously men. The Holy Ghost, Jesus Christ, and "Heavenly Father" comprise three separate and distinct gods. Heavenly Father sires spiritual children in heaven destined for human life on earth. All humans, as well as Jesus Christ and Lucifer, are god’s heavenly children. (See Doctrine and Covenants 130:22; God, Jesus, and the Spirit thus had beginnings.)
Biblical Response: God is Spirit and is not confined to a physical body (John 4:24). Jesus Christ was incarnated through a miraculous and nonphysical conception through the Virgin Mary. He was fully God from the beginning (John 1:1). Together with the person of the Holy Spirit, they form the triune (three-in-one) eternal God.
Jesus Is God’s "Son": Jesus was Heavenly Father’s firstborn spirit child in heaven. He was begotten by God through Mary in a "literal, full and complete sense" in the same "sense in which he is the son of Mary" (Bruce McConkie, A New Witness for the Articles of Faith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1993], 67). These two elements of Jesus being literally God’s son form his uniqueness in Mormon theology. In the Garden of Gethsemane as well as on the cross, Jesus atoned for Adam’s sin and guaranteed all humankind resurrection and immortality. Jesus visited the Israelites or Indians of North America after his resurrection and established the true church among them. We are the spiritual, but literal, younger brothers and sisters of Christ. Some Mormon documents claim that Jesus was married at Cana in Galilee (Mark 2) and had children himself.
Biblical Response: Jesus is viewed as God, the Word or Son, eternally existent with the Father and worthy of identity as God (John 1:1–14). He was born of the Virgin Mary who had conceived him supernaturally by the Holy Spirit. He lived a perfect life, died on the cross for the sins of the world, and was raised from the dead. He will come again and reign as Lord of lords.
Humans Are Gods in Embryo: Every human being has the potential of becoming a god by keeping the requirements of Mormonism. A wellknown statement within Mormonism is, "As man is god once was, as god is man may become." From a prior spirit existence in heaven, humans may be born on earth in order to exercise freedom to choose good or evil and to have a body for the resurrection. Basically humans are good, but they will be punished for their sin. By keeping Mormon teaching and obeying the church and the Prophet, after the resurrection worthy Mormon males may pass the celestial guards, bring their wives with them, and achieve a status similar to Elohim—the god of this world. The consequences of their sin are erased by their allegiance to the tenets of Mormonism. In resurrection faithful Mormons receive exaltation to godhood and will exercise dominion over their world.
Biblical Response: Human beings are God’s special creation. There is no evidence from Scripture of preexistence; rather, God states that it was in the womb of our mothers that He formed us (Isaiah 44:2). A sinful nature is part of humanity’s experience. Liberation from the power and presence of sin is experienced as a result of faith in Christ. At that point God’s image is begun to be remade in every Christian. Although the believer is being transformed to Christlikeness, the Bible does not teach literal godhood as the inheritance of the saints (Rom. 8:29; Rev. 1:5,6).
Mormon Plan of Salvation: The Mormon plan of salvation is built on the idea that all people have eternal life, but only the most faithful Mormons have godhood or enter the celestial Kingdom. In order to obtain this ultimate step, Mormons must exercise faith in the God of Mormonism, its Christ, and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; exercise repentance; and be baptized in the LDS church. Additionally, Mormons must keep the "Word of Wisdom" by abstaining from alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine; tithe to the church; attend weekly sacrament meetings; support the Mormon prophet; do temple works; and be active in their support of the church.
Biblical Response: Salvation, according to the Bible, is due to God’s grace and love. He provided Jesus as the sacrifice for the sins of the world. It is through faith in the crucified and risen Jesus that we may be saved. Works are excluded (John 1:12; 3:16; Rom. 10:9–13; Eph. 2:8,9).

Welcome to CR Amulek.

All that matters to us is what you have to say about issues. Thank you for presenting your views. ;)

v/r

Q

mynameisstephen said:
Establishment of Temples: The first Mormon temple was constructed in Kirtland, Ohio, in 1836. A temple was constructed in Nauvoo, Ill., in 1846. Presently there are at least 53 operating temples throughout the world including the one finished in Salt Lake City in 1893. The purpose and function of temples is for the practice of eternal ordinances, including primarily baptism for the dead, endowments, and celestial marriages. Baptism in the Mormon church, for both the living and the dead, is essential for the fullness of salvation. The dead often are baptized by proxy, which affords them after death the opportunity to become Mormons. Celestial marriage for "time and eternity" is also a temple ordinance. It is necessary for godhood and seals the marriage forever. Temples form an essential part of Mormon salvation. Only Mormons in possession of a "temple recommend" by their bishop may enter a temple.
Biblical Response: The Temple of the Old Testament was a place of symbolic sacrifice fore-figuring the sacrifice of Christ. Worship in the Jewish temple in Jerusalem was a practice of early Jewish believers (Acts 2:46). Otherwise there is no mention of any such practice in the New Testament. Never was the Jewish temple used for baptism for the dead, marriage, or other secret ceremonies. It was the place in the Old Testament where the glory of God occasionally dwelt. Today the individualbeliever is God’s dwelling place and not a physical building (1 Cor. 3:16)....
There is also a beautiful Temple in the Maryland/DC area off of I-495.

We do not condemn nor imply condemnation here at CR Stephen...ligthen up. ;)

v/r

Q

Welcome to CR Amulek,

Please note:
We have nothing against people sharing their faith with other members, but CR does not tolerate the presence of members whose sole purpose is to preach at others of different or the same faith.

Neither does CR tolerate the presence of self-appointed modern-day prophets, nor anyone else aggressively seeking to promote their own agendas here.

CR especially does not allow self-promotional posts from new members, even if this includes links which are non-commercial.

Commercial or other promotions are strictly prohibited, and attempts to post affiliate links on the forums may result in your being reported to your affiliate manager (that's me).

Faith specific boards are generally a place to share thoughts, ask general questions, and enter interested discussions regarding that faith. Please note that faith boards are not intended as a place for aggressive criticism of the said faith either.

The Comparative Studies and Belief & Spirituality boards offer a place to compare and contrast belief systems.

At no point does CR offer itself as a personal soapbox for people to attack other religious viewpoints, or to be attacked.

Your thoughts are very welcome here, as is your presense. We ask only that you abide by our bylaws. If you haven't done so, please read our Code of Conduct. It is straight forward and fair.

Once again Welcome to CR! ;)

v/r

Q

Sorry, Qhahom. I just assumed since Dor could post http://www.carm.org/mormon.htm showing the differences in our religion and Christianity (many of which are false or misleadingly out of context) I could post a link that showed factual information about our religion.

It is my belief that if you want information about a faith, view their official documents and sources, not the documents and sources of people against him.

Also, to mynameisstephen:

Much of the information you gave is your opinion or the opinions of those against the Church and is misleadinging inaccurate.

Back