Forums

Leveller

Reaction score
@Ella S. recently wrote about the quality of this forum not being what it was. I totally agree with her. Since discovering them many years ago I have generally liked forums, joined many, and have often found them to be both entertaining and informative. It never lasts of course. There is always some 'straight talker' who is probably a lot less straight talking when face to face.

Whatever you may think of Interfaith's standard I think it is fair to say that what we may lack in some ways, we are good at in others. Two areas come to mind. One is the quality of the discussion. The other is that it is what it is supposed to be.

I often look into another much more popular forum, and to be honest I am quite nauseated by it. Here on Interfaith people do not write in to say that they have applied for a new job. They do not decorate their posts with pop music videos or cartoon pictures or send each other pictures of cakes on their birthdays. The latest horror is members asking the staff to ban them for a few months because they can't stop reading and writing banal crap hour after hour day after day. Never has the statement 'Get a Life' been more meaningful. It is a great shame, for when I first found it the level of debate and discussion was high, especially in Biblical, Buddhist, and LHP matters.

So, I hope Interfaith.org survives, I hope the quality gets a boost. Should it not, I hope we go down with our dignity intact.

Last edited:
And there are the lurkers who browse but seldomn post or contribute except to pop in and complain ...

And there are the lurkers who browse but seldomn post or contribute except to pop in and complain ...
I am rather curious about this comment as I cannot think of anyone fitting this particular mould. Would you please elaborate?

I hope the quality gets a boost
How would you propose this? The hosting fee expired this month, and has been renewed for three years ahead. So the rest is up to the members?

You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all the people all the time.

Often we have folks coming around and telling us how bad other sites are and how we could improve.

Frankly I consider that similar to most prayers... "Hey G!d, you all knowing everywhere present being which knows my thoughts before I and created an amazing universe.... I would like to report an error you made regarding the health of this individual or country or situation...and me your lowly meager being with limited knowledge of anything would like to suggest how you should correct it.

Heck we are a collective of individuals that virtually chooses to show up at a virtual location at random times and insert our bits and bytes amongst others bits and bytes. The site is nothing more than a collection of thoughts by said individuals...if anyone wants to improve it...they simply step up and provide more thoughtful commentary and inspire the rest to do the same.

Or they could just sit in the corner and throw darts at those who try....or maybe pray...lol.

Reactions: RJM
You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all the people all the time.

Often we have folks coming around and telling us how bad other sites are and how we could improve.

Frankly I consider that similar to most prayers... "Hey G!d, you all knowing everywhere present being which knows my thoughts before I and created an amazing universe.... I would like to report an error you made regarding the health of this individual or country or situation...and me your lowly meager being with limited knowledge of anything would like to suggest how you should correct it.

Heck we are a collective of individuals that virtually chooses to show up at a virtual location at random times and insert our bits and bytes amongst others bits and bytes. The site is nothing more than a collection of thoughts by said individuals...if anyone wants to improve it...they simply step up and provide more thoughtful commentary and inspire the rest to do the same.

Or they could just sit in the corner and throw darts at those who try....or maybe pray...lol.
And no-one has contributed to IO more. Without @wil this website would have fizzled out years ago

Really. Well if you read my post you will see that I am not one of them. At no time have I ever told anybody how this site could be improved nor do I have any particular views about it. I have stated why I like it and how well it compares to a rival, and my wish for its survival. How anybody can find fault with that is beyond me.

I stated that I agreed with Ella S. But I seem to be getting a very different response, any reason?

Really. Well if you read my post you will see that I am not one of them. At no time have I ever told anybody how this site could be improved nor do I have any particular views about it. I have stated why I like it and how well it compares to a rival, and my wish for its survival. How anybody can find fault with that is beyond me.

I stated that I agreed with Ella S. But I seem to be getting a very different response, any reason?
Ok. Thank you. IO has been around for 25 years, you know? Are we still relevant? That's the thing? Whatever -- we're good until Sept 2025. Let's see what happens. Anyway ... enough from me, lol :)

(edited)

Last edited:
At no time have I ever told anybody how this site could be improved nor do I have any particular views about it.

Whatever you may think of Interfaith's standard I think it is fair to say that what we may lack in some ways, we are good at in others. Two areas come to mind. One is the quality of the discussion. The other is that it is what it is supposed to be.
Reading comprehension is evidently not my strong suit.

What exactly is this post about if not a suggestion as to what this forum should do?

I am not taking your suggestions as negative...but if you (or anyone thinks)
the quality of this forum not being what it was. I totally agree
one simply needs to step up the quality of their posts (we only have a few a day...one new topic a day of.the caliber you wish to elevate discussion would have a huge impact!)

Additionally...if you like the tenor and topic of an old thread...feel free to invigorate it with your philosophical/spritual/intellectual response on the subject.

But again... I believe we do our best...despite PT Barnums statement.

8 years ago playing around with a pendulum, and asking all the right questions got me 24/7 voices and the ability to see what almost all will never get to see.

I got flooded with so many thoughts about things that I started searching all over the internet for answers. I joined every forum I could find that might have something to do with nothing here or the veil.

After eight years of searching I now only come here to this forum. I like the people here, I like the atmosphere and the time I get from your minds.

Thank you to all the admins and moderators for creating a good environment for those of us just wanting to talk and discuss our beliefs.

Powessy

Well, thank you. I take this as a compliment to the forum as a whole, whatever our roles may be.

Might I suggest that you re-read your post that initiated this thread. If upon re-reading it you still have no idea, please ask the question again.

You can please.some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time.
Apparently this quote and its sibling “You can fool some of the people some of the time…” have been attributed to many different individuals, including Abraham Lincoln, without anyone being able to find any evidence to support any of the attributions.

" Dr. Franklin says: It is the eyes of others and not our own eyes which ruin us. If all the world were blind except myself I should not care for fine clothes or furniture" PTB

Would I mow my lawn?

Last edited:
You can please.some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time.
Apparently this quote and its sibling “You can fool some of the people some of the time…” have been attributed to many different individuals, including Abraham Lincoln, without anyone being able to find any evidence to support any of the attributions.
But I think the real Barnum quote is: "You can fool most of the people most of the time"

Back