Different Bible Translations - St Jerome

S

Sacredstar

St Jeromes letters available to anyone to read on www.newadvent.com

Letter 92

The books of Origen have been read before a council of bishops and unanimously condemned. The following are his chief errors, mainly found in the peri Arkpn.

1. The Son compared with us is truth, but compared with the Father he is falsehood.
2. Christ's kingdom will one day come to an end.
3. We ought to pray to the Father alone, not to the Son.
4. Our bodies after the resurrection will be corruptible and mortal.
5. There is nothing perfect even in heaven; the angels themselves are faulty, and some of them feed on the Jewish sacrifices.
6. The stars are conscious of their own movements, and the demons know the future by their courses.
7. Magic, if real, is not evil.
8. Christ suffered once for men; he will suffer again for the demons.            
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Letter 97

This letter talks of the Egyptians saving Christ

"(Hence in the Song of Songs the joyous cry of the bride: "I sat down under his shadow with great delight and his fruit was sweet to my taste.") Now truly is Isaiah's prophecy fulfilled: "In that day shall there be an altar to the Lord in the land of Egypt." "Where sin hath abounded, grace doth much more abound." They who fostered the infant Christ now with glowing faith defend Him in His manhood; and they who once saved Him from the hands of Herod are ready to save Him again from this blasphemer and heretic.

Letter 99

"With what secret stores of wisdom you have spoken of the interchange of day and night, the course of the moon, the laws of the sun, the nature of our world; always appealing to the authority of scripture lest in a paschal treatise you should appear to have borrowed anything from secular sources!"

Letter 104

Talks about the problems getting a common view from all original texts and translations.

St. Augustine of Hippo (354-430)
Letters
Letter 71 (A.D. 403)

From Augustine to Jerome

In this letter Augustine commends to Jerome the deacon Cyprian, explains how it is that his first letter (Letter 56) has miscarried, and urges Jerome to base his scriptural labours not on the Hebrew text but on the version of the Septuagint. The date of the letter is A.D. 403.

There is a lot more but this is a small taster selection from Jeromes letters for those that may be interested.

Sacredstar

I dont know what this stuff is Star. Did not they set up all kinds of Saints in those times? I never really understood where all the proclaimed saints came from. I used to think they were just legends made into statues and never really exisited.

Speaking of Bible, If you have access to the "History Channel" in your area(s) of the woods, Tonight at 2000 EST, the Show is "Who Wrote The Bible".

The previews looked promising!

v/r

Q

Thanks Quahom. I will be watching that. I have been watching the history channel for awhile and they put out some very good documentaries. The people doing it are very knowledgable. The approach to there programs are done very well.

I especially like the one about History of God:)

Bandit said:
I dont know what this stuff is Star. Did not they set up all kinds of Saints in those times? I never really understood where all the proclaimed saints came from. I used to think they were just legends made into statues and never really exisited.
The saints we presently know, have been while ago people like you and me. They had chosen to pray and stay away from the day to day torments and desires and to sacrifice their life to the others and to God. Some of them, were really sinners before abandoning themselves to God. It seems the church is doing an entire research on the life of those ermits or nuns before accepting them as saints. First of all, the body of a saint do not decompose after death. At least not as of "normal" people. I believe at least one miracle (ex. sudden recovery of the persone who prays to the saint) has to be accomplished and ascribed to the relics of somebody to be taken in consideration for acknowledgement as a saint. As per my knowledge, Saint Therese is the most recent person consacrated as a saint.

So the saints in the bible were not just legends. They were humans devorated by their beliefs.

alexa said:
The saints we presently know, have been while ago people like you and me. They had chosen to pray and stay away from the day to day torments and desires and to sacrifice their life to the others and to God. Some of them, were really sinners before abandoning themselves to God. It seems the church is doing an entire research on the life of those ermits or nuns before accepting them as saints. First of all, the body of a saint do not decompose after death. At least not as of "normal" people. I believe at least one miracle (ex. sudden recovery of the persone who prays to the saint) has to be accomplished and ascribed to the relics of somebody to be taken in consideration for acknowledgement as a saint. As per my knowledge, Saint Therese is the most recent person consacrated as a saint.

So the saints in the bible were not just legends. They were humans devorated by their beliefs.
OK thanks. I did not know because I have never tracked any saints. I thought they were like Zeus and Hercules, just incorporated into some kind of Christianity beliefs.
I know who Saint Therese is from TV and books.
Are not the apostles all called Saints also? I mean I hear of churches named after (ex. St Peter, St James etc.) The 12 including Mathias (sp) I would know from the Bible if these are the same idea as to where saints came from.
OR, when I see a name or statue like St. Matthew, St Andrew, is that an apostle or another saint with the same name?
Like St Jerome I have never heard of. I have never prayed to any saints or apostles unless Jesus is considered a saint.

I guess that explains why some pray to Mary, because she was a saint. (?)
I always understood the statues of Mary and Jesus, but the others I was never sure about.
Is it true that some have incorporated Mary into some form of Greek Mythology that she was actually the mother of God? I never saw it like that, but I hear some say that in prayers, especially on Christmas Eve.

I just decided to do these on my own with no interpretation of others except for what I know from the Word.

1. The Son compared with us is truth, but compared with the Father he is falsehood.
That does not sound right. They have to both be truth because Jesus had the same mind of the father. (mind of Christ, mind of God is the same mind) unless they are talking about 2 places where I know for sure that Jesus was not God, because he said only the father knows the day and hour of the coming of the son of man. Something else too but I have forgotten.

2. Christ's kingdom will one day come to an end.
This does not sound right either except for when Jesus delivers ther Kingdom to God and he himself becomes subject to God.

3. We ought to pray to the Father alone, not to the Son.
I have always prayed to the Son like he is the mediator and (so to speak) gives my prayers to God.

4. Our bodies after the resurrection will be corruptible and mortal.
This does not sound right to me. It says we will be raised up from coruptible to incoruptible.

5. There is nothing perfect even in heaven; the angels themselves are faulty, and some of them feed on the Jewish sacrifices.
No comment.
6. The stars are conscious of their own movements, and the demons know the future by their courses.
I think this is true or in part true.

7. Magic, if real, is not evil.
I think magic can be evil.

8. Christ suffered once for men; he will suffer again for the demons.
This does not sound right to me.

Quahom1 said:
Speaking of Bible, If you have access to the "History Channel" in your area(s) of the woods, Tonight at 2000 EST, the Show is "Who Wrote The Bible".

The previews looked promising!

v/r

Q
I watched and it was pretty good but it did not have much I already did not know OR they did not know. Kind of bugged me they never mentioned the book of Acts.
The one on just before it was kind weird...using the torah for some kind of strange prophetic secret codes. I suppose I could come up with my own codes and get the same results if I tried hard enough.

I do think there are hidden things like that in the bible, but that would be a realm I have not reached and most likely never will.

Just a shame:( that so many things were destroyed over the centuries, but I can only believe that it turned out the way it did because that is how God wanted it to be. Beside, there is surely more than enough in it for anyone who wants to know.

lol I think there might be something to those codes... I heard that using that code has predicted things like the earthquake in Iran I also heard that there was something to do with the the yellowstone national park erupting within the next decade and meteors hitting the earth... but you never know its all in Gods hands

Bandit said:
OK thanks. I did not know because I have never tracked any saints. I thought they were like Zeus and Hercules, just incorporated into some kind of Christianity beliefs.
Actually, saints occupy an important place in Christian Ortodox religion. To each saint a kind of miracle is ascribed. Here you have a prayer to Saint Anthony of Padova to see what kind of miracle those who pray to him are expected for. Of course the pray is not enough. You have to keep Lent for several weeks.

Saint Anthony,

who carried Jesus the child in your arms,help us to carry in our hearts the Faith and the Wisdom.Make that the love of the knowledge of God may penetrate us and that may we wish to understand the deep misteries of the passions of Christ,our Lord.

You,who helps the hopeless ones to find the lost objects,make that we recover the purity of the childrens in our souls,and guard as of the burning fire of the sins and the faithlessness which burns the World in our days.

If we are lost,help us to recover the way to God the Father,Christ the Lamb who sacrified Himself that may we live in Light,delivered of darkness.

Guide us to our heavenly home,where we may enjoy the glory of God,together with the blessed Virgin,with you,saint Anthony,and all the saints.Amen.

In the name of the Father,of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.Amen.
Are not the apostles all called Saints also? I mean I hear of churches named after (ex. St Peter, St James etc.) The 12 including Mathias (sp) I would know from the Bible if these are the same idea as to where saints came from.
The Apostoles have a higher rank as they have been choosen by Jesus himself.

OR, when I see a name or statue like St. Matthew, St Andrew, is that an apostle or another saint with the same name?
I suppose only the artist can tell us what his statue represents.

I guess that explains why some pray to Mary, because she was a saint. (?)
They pray to Mary as the mother of Jesus, blessed between all women to be chosen by God.

I always understood the statues of Mary and Jesus, but the others I was never sure about.
Which are the others you are talking about ?

Is it true that some have incorporated Mary into some form of Greek Mythology that she was actually the mother of God? I never saw it like that, but I hear some say that in prayers, especially on Christmas Eve.
I'm not Greek, so I cannot confirm this Mythology.

A saint is simply a concept created by some human beings.
In the New Testament, St. Paul used the term to mean a member of the Christian community, but the term more commonly refers to those noted for their holiness and venerated during their lifetimes or after death.
In Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy, saints are publicly recognized by the church and are considered intercessors with God for the living.
They are honoured on special feast days, and their remains and personal effects are venerated as relics.
Often Christian saints are said to have performed miracles in their lifetime, or miracles occur in their names after their death.
In Islam, wali (“friend of God”) is often translated as saint; in Buddhism, arhats and bodhisattvas are roughly equivalent to saints. Hindu sadhusare somewhat similar.

As can be seen there is nothing special about SAINTS. They are simply proclaimed as 'saint' by various religious authorities because of things they are supposed to have done.

This does not make them 'divine' or mean they are somehow special. It just means they are considered to be that way by other human beings. They may be right, they may be wrong. It depends upon your personally validated faith.
;)

Thanks everyone for explaining what is behind the saints and how it all came to be.

Which are the others you are talking about ?
Hey Alexa-
I was talking about the other statues of saints. I see Jesus and Mary statues in different times of the story. Like some she is holding the baby Jesus and others Jesus is on the cross.
The other statues that appear in churches or on the grounds are these other saints I presume. Some statues have a plaque that tell about the statue and some do not. So I just suppose the statue is reference to what ever the name of the church is named after. (?)
BECAUSE it is not Jesus or Mary.

I am guessing this is where All Saints Day comes from? that is probably another discussion that includes all the saints. I have heard of people going to the cemetary to meet saints (or something like that). But not sure how many do this or even how that can work in reality. Seems like a tradition for some.

Here is a hymn about the saints some others probably know. I remember doing this a few times in one of the churches I played for. It never made very good sense until just recently.:)

1. I sing a song of the saints of God,
patient and brave and true,
who toiled and fought and lived and died
for the Lord they loved and knew.
And one was a doctor, and one was a queen,
and one was a shepherdess on the green;
they were all of them saints of God, and I mean,
God helping, to be one too.

2. They loved their Lord so dear, so dear,
and his love made them strong;
and they followed the right for Jesus' sake
the whole of their good lives long.
And one was a soldier, and one was a priest,
and one was slain by a fierce wild beast;
and there's not any reason, no, not the least,
why I shouldn't be one too.

3. They lived not only in ages past;
there are hundreds of thousands still.
The world is bright with the joyous saints
who love to do Jesus' will.
You can meet them in school, on the street, in the store,
in church, by the sea, in the house next door;
they are saints of God, whether rich or poor,
and I mean to be one too.

Bandit said:
Hey Alexa-The other statues that appear in churches or on the grounds are these other saints I presume. Some statues have a plaque that tell about the statue and some do not. So I just suppose the statue is reference to what ever the name of the church is named after. (?)
Hi Bandit,

There are so many churches and each one with its own statues that's really difficult to answer in this conditions to your question. It's possible to have a statue as a gift from some somebody who usuallly goes to that church. You know, somebody who can afford to give this kind of gifts. I've never thought how a name of a church is chosen. I'll ask somebody who maybe knows how it works and I'll ge back to you.

I have heard of people going to the cemetary to meet saints (or something like that). But not sure how many do this or even how that can work in reality. Seems like a tradition for some.
Never heard about it. The only one I know to go to the cemetary for "religious" purposes are the satanists.

In orthodox religion, the saints are appreciated by the power of example.

Blue said earlier :

This does not make them 'divine' or mean they are somehow special. It just means they are considered to be that way by other human beings. They may be right, they may be wrong. It depends upon your personally validated faith.
I have to disagree. They ARE SPECIAL. These humans were BELIVERS in all the sense of the world. They were able to "read" peoples' souls whenever they were visited by them in the solitude of the cell. And their relics have a particular smell which cannot be taken out from a serious consideration. Some miracles were attributed to the relics of saints. It's true they are not like Jesus or Mary or God. They were regular people like you and me with all the doubts and fears. But they changed due to a crise in their life. I mean, they changed thier way to see life and God completly. Maybe that was thier destiny. Who knows ? Jesus said to all sinners he had met, they were forgiven and asked them not to sin anymore. This is my perception of a saint :someone capable to see his own sins,determined not to sin anymore and dedicating their life to the benefit of the others and God.

Thanks for the hymn.:)

Dear Bandit

The compiler, translator of the first bible was Origen, then some years later Jerome was asked to do it again. Some years later he would have been cannonised as a saint for his work on the bible.

I have been looking for a timeline on the total amount of people that got involved in the development, translations, mistranslations, changes, deletions, etc of the bible from start to finish over a 1600 year span but there does not seem to be one on the net.

I feel that it is very important that Christians take a serious interest in the development of the bible due to its original intent, then they are more able to read between the lines of why gospels were left out and why specific ones were chosen with the intent of controlling the people in GOD's name.

GOD sent Jerome to show me certain things, it is also GOD's will that the scholars discover and unveil the truth so that his children can be free from dogma and untruths, but will fellow Christians listen when many appear not to wish to read the other gospels or listen to the scholars ?

Blessings in abundance

Sacredstar

Im curious at how you came to the belief that the original 66 books of the bible are corrupted by the romans and not the words of God.. but these other books are more valid.

Sacredstar said:
Dear Bandit

The compiler, translator of the first bible was Origen, then some years later Jerome was asked to do it again. Some years later he would have been cannonised as a saint for his work on the bible.

I have been looking for a timeline on the total amount of people that got involved in the development, translations, mistranslations, changes, deletions, etc of the bible from start to finish over a 1600 year span but there does not seem to be one on the net.

I feel that it is very important that Christians take a serious interest in the development of the bible due to its original intent, then they are more able to read between the lines of why gospels were left out and why specific ones were chosen with the intent of controlling the people in GOD's name.

GOD sent Jerome to show me certain things, it is also GOD's will that the scholars discover and unveil the truth so that his children can be free from dogma and untruths, but will fellow Christians listen when many appear not to wish to read the other gospels or listen to the scholars ?

Blessings in abundance

Sacredstar
Hey Star,
I did not know this Jerome was in it. There were probably hundreds involved that we will never know about. Yes I know what you mean also by reading between the lines. People are still doing it today trying to prove what happened and there is a new book or movie out constantly trying to devour what little bit of truth we got. But I see in the bible we were given there is more than enough truth to anyone who honestly and sincerly seeks God. Remember too it not just the paper and ink but the Holy Ghost too which teaches us.

I do see hints of the dogma in it, but I do not believe they changed the 66 books enough for us to lose the truth of what really happened if we search hard enough. I can only conclude that amongst all the evil in religion and powers, God still had His hand in the bible we got. Just as He has His hand over the ones who diligently seek Him today. He is not going to let His people be lost in dogma and lies of religon, neither will he let his children go hungry while others seek every other avenue of earth.

There is really no difference in what people are trying to do with it today, but it will stand the test of time and abuse because it does not lie and it is a two edged sword.

I really dont have a problem with other things that were written at the time as to why they did not make it in. They are still there for the taking if we want them.
There had to be reason for why it turned out the way it did, I see the reason being a good reason and I am thankful for what we got. People will always write poetry, articles, books and essays- And yes, I can read between the lines. I shoud have been a detective. But better yet we have the spirit of God in us to show us and that is better than any book that anyone will ever write.

I would not trust everything we come across online, see on TV or in other new books or old books, and especially every new religion that pops up either. These new religions are just as messed up as the old ones. The secular History is there, but so is the Truth:) . I have found the 66 to be reliable and that God does speak to us and deals with us through them if we allow Him to. I am not going the road of 'pick out what is myth because there are no facts at my choice' but I can read between the lines.

By the same point one can say it is myth, they also cannot prove that it did not happen. And I believe it is that way for a purpose.

I think that God uses many ways to draw man closer to Him. Wether it be through the stars, waters, plant life or animals, or wether it be through good teaching of the bible or other writing. Sometimes I think He uses our personal, special earthly interests. After all He made them for us.

Be careful little feet where you go. Be careful little eyes what you see, for the father up above is looking down in love....LOL
remember that one? hee hee

Dear Bandit

Bandit said:
Hey Star,

1) I did not know this Jerome was in it. There were probably hundreds involved that we will never know about.

2) He is not going to let His people be lost in dogma and lies of religon, neither will he let his children go hungry while others seek every other avenue of earth.

3) There is really no difference in what people are trying to do with it today, but it will stand the test of time and abuse because it does not lie and it is a two edged sword.

4) There had to be reason for why it turned out the way it did, I see the reason being a good reason and I am thankful for what we got.

5) But better yet we have the spirit of God in us to show us and that is better than any book that anyone will ever write.

6) These new religions are just as messed up as the old ones.

7) By the same point one can say it is myth, they also cannot prove that it did not happen. And I believe it is that way for a purpose.

8) I think that God uses many ways to draw man closer to Him. Wether it be through the stars, waters, plant life or animals, or wether it be through good teaching of the bible or other writing. Sometimes I think He uses our personal, special earthly interests. After all He made them for us.

1) well as it was Rome that did the commissioning they know all that were involved in the bible that we know today.

2) I agree which is why he is inspiring the scholars

3) The bible predictions are coming to the end we are now in Revelations beyond the conclusion, the bible will have no further use it will become part of history.

4) I am not because millions were killed because of the bible and this is against the will of GOD and his law and commandment 'thou shall not kill'. It as been the breeding ground for fearing GOD and this is anti-love and the love of GOD and the reason why so many turned away from GOD, we lost more then we saved due to the bible.

5) I totally agree

6) Ah they do not resonate with your heart but who are we to judge? How do we know that GOD did not inspire them?

7) It certainly showed us the yang of man! But Jesus showed me in the past life that he and Mary hid some scrolls and when humanity is ready they will indeed be found. There are also more scrolls dictated by Thomas still to be found. I no not where they would not tell me.

8) I totally agree

Bandit this is a beautiful quote thank you for sharing.

Be careful little feet where you go. Be careful little eyes what you see, for the father up above is looking down in love.

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder and when we see all through GOD's eyes it is indeed perfect because humanity chose it.

Love beyond measure

Sacredstar

Back