Women

Firedragon

Reaction score
I am not a woman so someone might deem I have no right to speak about women. Let that go ahead.

I remembered something that happened in Iceland. Almost all the women stopped working one day (statistically I maybe a little off) as a protest. And the result was, that day was dead. Nothing happened. It proved that when the women stop working, nothing works.

Would the same take place if all the men stopped working one day? My opinion is that it's a "no".

People might be all for this so called equality and etc etc but the reality is most of those who take care of the household are women, and most of those who provide for the household are men. It's just a discovered outcome. So if men stopped working one day, it is only going to stop some revenue, but if women stopped, it's a standstill.

What do you think? What are your thoughts?

People might be all for this so called equality and etc etc but the reality is most of those who take care of the household are women, and most of those who provide for the household are men. It's just a discovered outcome. So if men stopped working one day, it is only going to stop some revenue, but if women stopped, it's a standstill.

Correlation is not causation.

Correlation is not causation.

As I said, this was discovered outcome, not a qualitative research. But you are partially right in your statement about usual research. Causation is not "ALWAYS" causation. Not definitely as a general assumption.

Nevertheless, what are your thoughts on that? Do you think it's definitely not a causation? On what grounds? Maybe you are right but what is your thinking towards it?

Thanks Cino.

As I wrote, I don't think that the empirical observation about current gender roles can be used to draw conclusions about a causal mechanism. The lens has to be widened substantially to include the role expectations these women and men grew up with, before even the "discovered outcome" can be said to depict their day-to-day reality.

As I wrote, I don't think that the empirical observation about current gender roles can be used to draw conclusions about a causal mechanism. The lens has to be widened substantially to include the role expectations these women and men grew up with, before even the "discovered outcome" can be said to depict their day-to-day reality.

Interesting. Thus, what is your thinking about the outcome? Is not that caused by the women not working? Maybe you are right, but what do you think is actually the cause if not the not working that particular day?

If you have any non-abstract thoughts on that?

My thought is the outcome is determined by societal factors. Women, even in Iceland, grow up with the expectation that they do the laundry, clean the house, buy groceries, cook, and look after siblings and later children, in addition to whatever else they are doing, schoolwork, vocational training, etc. Men grow up with the expectation to do well in school, learn a trade, and do wage work. My thought is that what the outcome you mention shows is how women are simply expected to do more work than men, and that when they went on strike, it showed how much unpaid and "invisible" work they usually do in addition to any wage work.

My thought is the outcome is determined by societal factors. Women, even in Iceland, grow up with the expectation that they do the laundry, clean the house, buy groceries, cook, and look after siblings and later children, in addition to whatever else they are doing, schoolwork, vocational training, etc. Men grow up with the expectation to do well in school, learn a trade, and do wage work. My thought is that what the outcome you mention shows is how women are simply expected to do more work than men, and that when they went on strike, it showed how much unpaid and "invisible" work they usually do in addition to any wage work.

Yes I agree. thank you so much for your response.

I am not a woman so someone might deem I have no right to speak about women. Let that go ahead.

I remembered something that happened in Iceland. Almost all the women stopped working one day (statistically I maybe a little off) as a protest. And the result was, that day was dead. Nothing happened. It proved that when the women stop working, nothing works.

Would the same take place if all the men stopped working one day? My opinion is that it's a "no".

Most of The Women in Iceland work outside of the home:

In the year 2021, there were on average 208,400 persons 16-74 years old active in the Icelandic labour market, which corresponds to a 78.8% activity rate. The activity rate for women was 75.1% and for men 82.3%. The labour force increased by 6,200 from the year 2020 and the activity rate increased by 1.4 percentage points.

The number of employed persons in 2021 was on average 195,900 and there were on average 6,800 more employed persons in 2021 than in 2020. The employment rate was 74.1% compared with 72.4% in 2020. The employment rate for women was 70.3% and the employment rate for men 77.6%.

On average, 12,500 people were unemployed and looking for work in the year 2021 or 6.0% of the labour force compared with 2020 when the unemployed were 13,000 on average or 6.4% of the labour force. In the year 2021, the unemployment rate was on average 6.4% for women and 5.6% for men.

Most of The Women in Iceland work outside of the home:
In the year 2021, there were on average 208,400 persons 16-74 years old active in the Icelandic labour market, which corresponds to a 78.8% activity rate. The activity rate for women was 75.1% and for men 82.3%. The labour force increased by 6,200 from the year 2020 and the activity rate increased by 1.4 percentage points.​
The number of employed persons in 2021 was on average 195,900 and there were on average 6,800 more employed persons in 2021 than in 2020. The employment rate was 74.1% compared with 72.4% in 2020. The employment rate for women was 70.3% and the employment rate for men 77.6%.​
On average, 12,500 people were unemployed and looking for work in the year 2021 or 6.0% of the labour force compared with 2020 when the unemployed were 13,000 on average or 6.4% of the labour force. In the year 2021, the unemployment rate was on average 6.4% for women and 5.6% for men.​

Excellent Seattlegal. Excellent post. Very informative.

The incident I referred to is an old one. This womens protest is said to have changed a lot of things in the country uplifting women. But for your post in response, give me some time, I will bring the exact event and dates and some information.

Really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Totally off the cuff answer, no science, just 6
Decades... remove half of the population without warning and everything will stop, by gender or whatever, the whole operation is quite interdependent

Totally off the cuff answer, no science, just 6
Decades... remove half of the population without warning and everything will stop, by gender or whatever, the whole operation is quite interdependent

Thats a good point. But do you think as I said in the OP, if all men stopped working for one day only, how much would the effect be in comparison to women? This was some time ago. I just checked. it took place in 1975 on the 24th of October.

At that time, 50% of women in Iceland worked outside of the home, but were only paid 60% of what men were for doing the same work. That wage disparity changed after the Women's Day Off.

Thanks for the information. Important ones at that.

The question is, if all the men took a day off that day, do you think it will have the same effect? Just one day.

Thanks for the information. Important ones at that.

The question is, if all the men took a day off that day, do you think it will have the same effect?
Not at all. I cite Christmas and Superbowl Sunday as examples.
Disagree, again an instant stop by half of any population will bring any civilisation to a halt

While SG has a funny response, both of those are scheduled holidays

If 50% of both male and female populations stayed home then the grid lock would be just as bad, Wil is so right.
The big movement now is for gender freedom in role expectation and choice. If a male wants to be a househusband then this should be respected, just as a female should be supported if she wants to design ships, build walls, deliver post, etc.

Back