Unity Church

TheLightWithin

...through a glass, darkly
Reaction score
Hi please feel free to move this message to another thread if it fits here better.
I used to attend a Unity church for years. I loved it there for a long time but things changed when the minister left.
I wanted to know if others had attended Unity church and what their experiences were and what their thoughts were about it.

Besides the minister, what drew you to the group?

What was community life like? The services?

This nontheistic panenthesit unitic still considers Unity Center of Light https://g.co/kgs/f6gGWB his home church and spent a ouple.decades teaching Sunday school there.

I don't align with all their teachings, but studying with them assisted me greatly in making sense of this world and accepting that folks align with differing beliefs.

Besides the minister, what drew you to the group?

What was community life like? The services?
When I went I didn't know anything about them except they were a church that differed from standard Christianity, that they had their own unique interpretation of the Bible, and they had something one their website that said "we are a happy religion" When I went there the people were smart and nice. People responded to me more nicely than I was used to anywhere. They had a lot of events going on that kept me going back. There was a retired bible scholar there who ran pretty serious bible classes with critical historical insights and everything.

The minister was almost as new to the church as I was, but I didn't find that out till later. He and his wife were a well loved duo who cultivated a positive culture and atmosphere there. I didn't know anything about them though until I went, and actually until I had been there for awhile.

Reactions: wil
@TheLightWithin sprt of my story too...I just knew less about them (unity) than you. Folks just kept asking me if I went there...I thought they were referring to unitarian (and didn't know anything about them either)

To add to the confusion, there is also the Unification Church ...

Three very different groups, despite the similarity in names.

Yes, I've been to the Unitarian Universalist Church too (UU) went for awhile. They aren't very religiously inclined at all.
Unity is much more spiritual.
I never did attend the Unification church though I live near one now (If it's still active. It used to post its sign out front before the pandemic)
Yes, similar names sometimes throw people.

Interestingly enough I was at a interfaith breakfast sponsored by unification church, they did an incredible job...thinking back there must have been 2-300 people there. Ten top round tables, truly intl breakfast buffet, something for every taste and diet and great speakers discussing interfaith and peace.

They took reservations and intentionally mixed tables up. I was seated with orthodox Rabbi, and both Sunni and Shia Imams. I can't remember who the rest were but some lively table discussions...

One time thing, not since..I should try to find...hmmm

Yes, I've been to the Unitarian Universalist Church too (UU) went for awhile. They aren't very religiously inclined at all
I got asked to speak a couple of times at a UU service, they had a hymnal of uplifting inclusive music. Speakers were given 20 min of talk time, and then there would be 20 min of questioning. I recall once was on live food, no clue what the other two topics were. They were quite active socially politically

Interestingly enough I was at a interfaith breakfast sponsored by unification church, they did an incredible job...thinking back there must have been 2-300 people there. Ten top round tables, truly intl breakfast buffet, something for every taste and diet and great speakers discussing interfaith and peace.

They took reservations and intentionally mixed tables up. I was seated with orthodox Rabbi, and both Sunni and Shia Imams. I can't remember who the rest were but some lively table discussions...

One time thing, not since..I should try to find...hmmm
Awesome! I wish I could have been at something like that.

Thinking about it caused me to search interfaith on a digital map.

In my juggling circles we have a global map where anyone can input their juggling meetup...and anyone else can see the dates and times of meetings...their website...whatever.

Now I would live to see that resource added to our page for interfaith meetings, happenings around the globe (and want to attend more locally)

I just listened to a father's day message from a guest speaker at my home church. I found it a great example of what and how unity teaches in general. Unity calls it practical Christianity... a way to take religious teachings and incorporate them in our life....to our benefit, and to the benefit of those around us.

When the Fillmore's started holding meetings they had fellow students from all denominations...teaching exactly that...not preaching the word...but how to incorporate the word in day to day life.

I see that as a huge gap in US theology today...walking the walk...wwjd...action that parallels the word. Immigration, minority rights, health care, food production and safety... I mean we ain't a Christian nation...but we don't even seem to be a nation of christians.... bit of CINOs! (Present company excepted omg!)

Anywho...it starts about 6 min in!

Back