Which religions share these ethics?

DT Strain

Spiritual Naturalist
Reaction score
United States. www.SpiritualNaturalistSociety.org
Here are some Christian ethics - I was just wondering which religions also share these ethics (I suspect many). If so, could someone please direct me to the specific passages? Thanks much :)

1) Love your enemies

2) Pray for those who do you wrong

3) If struck, turn the other cheek

4) Do not repay evil with evil, but respond with good

5) Love God with all your might

6) Love thy neighbor as thy self

7) Whatever is good, think on these things - whatever a man thinks, so is he.

I think for the most part they are the same in all beliefs. I can only give the ones from the bible. I think everyone knows them.

But we have these new things popping up that are not holding fast to these. Like the church of Satan, which is a somewhat new organized religion. Hundreds of thousands of gang members who are also not holding to any of these things.

As basic as it all seems, there are those who are going to interpret it in all different ways. I try to follow all of these, but if someone comes to me and punches me in the face and keeps doing it, I am going to punch them back in the face. If I have to go to war and protect my freedom and homeland then I will do it and possibly die. I would rather go down fighting than have what has been handed to us in freedom taken away.

Some people only understand things one way.

These two present an opponent and some evil is not going to understand what it means to turn the other cheek.

Some are only going to understand being struck back because that is what they are asking for.
It would be kind of foolish to give a robber who steals $1000 from you the benefit of the doubt, then repay them with another $1000 or say "it is ok to steal from me" and not try to get your money back.

I see where some take advantage of people who adhere to these laws and see them as prey. They even view honesty as prey.

So, I just don't know sometimes where you draw the line.I know this is not the direction you want for the thread and you are looking for specific passages from other sources. I was just wondering if others see some of these things the same way.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Bandit. :)

However, I'm not really looking for information on whether or not different people live up to these ethics in various ways. I'm more concerned with finding specific passages within other religions besides the Judeo-Christian scripture that support the notion that these ethics exist in all religions.

I believe they do, but when debating somoen else, I need to prove it with passages.

DT Strain said:
1) Love your enemies

Does not exist in Judaism. But we would also have to define what makes someone an enemy. This really has to do more with war, as Judaism is not pacifist. It has been called tactical pacifism because it says whatever the minimal measure necessary to be taken in self defense is, it is permissible, even if that means taking a life.

This might be included in the Amidah but I am not entirely sure as currently I do not pray daily.

No. Judaism advocates self defense. I am pretty sure that allowing someone to hurt you when you could stop them from doing so would be making yourself an accessory, but I am not certain.

That exists in Judaism.

That exists in Judaism.

Yep.

I'm not sure if that saying implies that thinking on these things encourages one to act in that way. Judaism places much emphasis on the study of Torah, but at the same time says that this study is worthless if it does not lead to right action.

Dauer

Well the biblical quotes I said yes to will have the same source. There may be multiple sources for some things as well.

But I'll come back to this later with sources.

DT Strain said:
Here are some Christian ethics - I was just wondering which religions also share these ethics (I suspect many). If so, could someone please direct me to the specific passages? Thanks much :)
DT Strain said:
1) Love your enemies​

2) Pray for those who do you wrong​

3) If struck, turn the other cheek​

4) Do not repay evil with evil, but respond with good​

5) Love God with all your might​

6) Love thy neighbor as thy self​

7) Whatever is good, think on these things - whatever a man thinks, so is he.​
Salaamu Alyckum all​
Originally Posted by DT Strain

1) Love your enemies

forgiving one’s enemies is one of the most important Islamic teaching. In the Qur’an Allah has described the Believers as:

These verses explain how Muslims must dealing with others (specially their enemies ) these verses transmitted from Allah to prophet Mohammed before triumph Macca while Muslims discussed the fighting with Quraish ( the infidels of Macca).Muslims take this as standard and take it in general.

(60:7) It may be that God will grant love (and friendship) between you and those whom ye (now) hold as enemies. For God has power (over all things); And God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

(60:8)God forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for God loveth those who are just.

Prophet Mohammad (PUH) said :"Shake hands and rancor will disappear. Give gifts to each other and love each other and enmity will disappear".

Our Ideal is our prophet Mohameed who always do that.

- Muslims Always saying to those whom dealing badly to them ( Allah yhdiek) Which could be translated into English (pray to Allah to Guide you to the right way ).

-prophet Mohammed (puh) said : “O Allah, guide these people( whom they harmed him ), as they did not know what they were doing.”

“The reward of the evil is the evil thereof, but whosoever forgives and makes amends, his reward is upon Allah.”Qur'an ( 42:40)

If you punish, then punish with the like of that wherewith you were afflicted. But if you endure patiently, indeed it is better for the patient. Endure you patiently. Your patience is not except through the help of Allah
Qur'an (16:126-127)
Simply ,Islam encourage for forgiveness , but give people the permission to take their right.

“Serve God, and join not any partners with Him; and do good—To parents, orphans, those in need, neighbours who are near, neighbours who are strangers; the companion by your side, the way-farer (ye meet), and what your right hands possess: For God loveth not the arrogant, the vainglorious;Qur'an 4:36

"By God, he cannot be a Momin (believer ) ;by God, he cannot be a Momin; by God, he cannot be a Momin. He was asked: 'who"? He answered: 'He from whose misdeeds his neighbor is not safe."

"None of you (truly) believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself." The Prophet's Hadith.

DT Strain,explain this for us to know what " these things " mean??

In Islam the most important things what you do not what you think ,because you can change what you think but many tims you can not change what you did ...

DT ,Can you give us text from your book to explain these Moral aspects.

Thanks​

DT Strain said:

1) Love your enemies

I believe this passage from the Baha'i Writings encompasses all of these things.

"You must manifest complete love and affection toward all mankind. Do not exalt yourselves above others, but consider all as your equals, recognizing them as the servants of one God. Know that God is compassionate toward all; therefore, love all from the depths of your hearts, prefer all religionists before yourselves, be filled with love for every race, and be kind toward the people of all nationalities. Never speak disparagingly of others, but praise without distinction. Pollute not your tongues by speaking evil of another. Recognize your enemies as friends, and consider those who wish you evil as the wishers of good. You must not see evil as evil and then compromise with your opinion, for to treat in a smooth, kindly way one whom you consider evil or an enemy is hypocrisy, and this is not worthy or allowable. You must consider your enemies as your friends, look upon your evil-wishers as your well-wishers and treat them accordingly. Act in such a way that your heart may be free from hatred. Let not your heart be offended with anyone. If some one commits an error and wrong toward you, you must instantly forgive him. Do not complain of others. Refrain from reprimanding them, and if you wish to give admonition or advice, let it be offered in such a way that it will not burden the bearer. Turn all your thoughts toward bringing joy to hearts. Beware! Beware! lest ye offend any heart. Assist the world of humanity as much as possible. Be the source of consolation to every sad one, assist every weak one, be helpful to every indigent one, care for every sick one, be the cause of glorification to every lowly one, and shelter those who are overshadowed by fear.
In brief, let each one of you be as a lamp shining forth with the light of the virtues of the world of humanity. Be trustworthy, sincere, affectionate and replete with chastity. Be illumined, be spiritual, be divine, be glorious, be quickened of God..." Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 453
Hope that is somewhat helpful. :)

Have a great day!

Loving Greetings, Amy

Back