Paragraph breaks vs wall of text

RJM

God Feeds the Ravens
Veteran Member
Reaction score
The formatting of the site seems often to remove the paragraph breaks from posts. Wall-of-text is quite off putting to readers, especially on the phone screen, and causes some to just skim what is written. Lengthy posts that appear without paragraph breaks can easily be edited by the poster to add space?

Just my own opinion?

Last edited:
Truth...although it does seem to be an indication of a certain type of individual that doesn't like the carriage return key.

Is it the same folks who leave shopping carriages in the middle of the lot?

Is it the same folks who leave dished in the sink with an empty dishwasher right there?

Not saying...just pondering.

Of course ya got me, who never learned where to put a period and now since the strokes my thumb adds them randomly.

Truth...although it does seem to be an indication of a certain type of individual that doesn't like the carriage return key.

Is it the same folks who leave dished in the sink with an empty dishwasher right there?

Of course ya got me, who never learned where to put a period and now since the strokes my thumb adds them randomly.
Right. But wasn't @RJM talking about the site formatting causing it? 🤔

Seems to me without hitting the return key...a typewriter does the same thing.
Right but I thought he meant the site was doing something to erase spaces in entries that had spaces.
Programs do sometimes do weird formatting things.

It's also similar to people who see an empty "parking space" (or two) and "double park/take up both spaces. Or they see what they consider ample room to park, not caring that there's a fire hydrant/bus stop/streetcar stop/train tracks etc. in the way. Or a hospital emergency entrance for ambulances!

If I ever have one of my posts appearing as a wall-o-text to y'all, please let me know (the :kitty: delegation will appreciate it as will I)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

The formatting of the site seems often to remove the paragraph breaks from posts. Wall-of-text is quite off putting to readers, especially on the phone screen, and causes some to just skim what is written. Lengthy posts that appear without paragraph breaks can easily be edited by the poster to add space?

Just my own opinion?
I think that you meant that the site itself is removing existing paragraph breaks. I took that differently than everybody else has.

I agree @wil

@Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine and me often edit your posts a bit, to fix that. For the sake of the site I also sometimes add para breaks to wall-of-text posts by the sort of people who do that

Reactions: wil
I think that you meant that the site itself is removing existing paragraph breaks. I took that differently than everybody else has.
I did mean that, but I'm not sure. For instance this post of yours comes out as two separate lines without a paragraph break:
Right but I thought he meant the site was doing something to erase spaces in entries that had spaces.
Programs do sometimes do weird formatting things.
End of the day it's easy to edit a post to add paragraphs

Last edited:
It's also similar to people who see an empty "parking space" (or two) and "double park/take up both spaces. Or they see what they consider ample room to park, not caring that there's a fire hydrant/bus stop/streetcar stop/train tracks etc. in the way. Or a hospital emergency entrance for ambulances!

If I ever have one of my posts appearing as a wall-o-text to y'all, please let me know (the :kitty: delegation will appreciate it as will I)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
I've not seen the problem with your posts :)

My eyes don't do well with walls of text. Even if it's a topic I find interesting, I will scroll past posts that have no paragraphing.

If I copy over text from another site and the paragraph breaks disappear, I will re-add them as a courtesy to other readers.

In my own writing, if I switch to another paragraph when there is a new point or idea or when changing a thought process.

It's as simple as tapping 'return' twice.

That said, I wonder how many people in this thread have been more conscious than usual of their paragraphing when composing their posts. ;)

Reactions: RJM
That said, I wonder how many people in this thread have been more conscious than usual of their paragraphing when composing their posts. ;)
Reminders are helpful.
I agree

[USER=346]@Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
and me often edit your posts a bit, to fix that. For the sake of the site I also sometimes add para breaks to wall-of-text posts by the sort of people who do that
It takes a village....or community, or compassionate forum moderators.

Now if we can get someone to vacuum in the OF corral...it's starting to smell again...or maybe that's me.

I did mean that, but I'm not sure. For instance this post of yours comes out as two separate lines without a paragraph break:

End of the day it's easy to edit a post to add paragraphs
Interesting. I wrote it as one line, with just a period and a space.

It's as simple as tapping 'return' twice.

But I think the issue RJM was referring to was less people's typing habits, and more something the site formatting is doing to posts no matter how they are typed. Or that was RJM's original hypothesis, if I understand his reply to me.

But I think the issue RJM was referring to was less people's typing habits, and more something the site formatting is doing to posts no matter how they are typed. Or that was RJM's original hypothesis, if I understand his reply to me.
I belong to two forums that use this iteration of Xenforo. I've not experienced any problems with paragraphing on either forum posting on a laptop or mobile device.

Last edited:
Reactions: RJM
End of the day, it's easy to check how a post appears on the page, and to go back to it edit in a couple of reasonable paragraph breaks, to make reading easier, especially on a phone screen. But the folks who should do that, are probably not the folks reading this thread. There's also an issue of multiple short posts by one poster, sometimes nearly a whole page of consecutive short one liner posts by one person ... whatever :)

I can understand

thataposter
may not have regard for.
enticing as that may
sound! Not really something the software can addressunlessan up grade is

simple Really.
walls

I thank all that edit me... I need it.

I try to check but my holes in my eyesight miss stuff. Most often I see my errors when someone quotes and comments and then I go back and remove excess.periods or correct autocorrect misguided words.

Again, thx. I appreciate yall (even when I don't act like it)

Back