Your religious/spiritual journey

Yeah, I feel like in Catholicism the idea of "contemplation" is probably closer to the Eastern 'empty mind' idea than Catholic mediation. Because there is definitely a difference between contemplation and meditation in Catholicism. At least the way I've always understood it, meditation is active, deeply thinking about some holy subject like the mysteries of the Rosary or a verse from the Bible. Whereas contemplation is something more 'passive', a gift from God, pure communion with Him.
Greetings, Sister.

About fifty years ago I worked for a Japanese manufacturing Company, and decided to learn iaidō (a form of swordsmanship). On one occasion, I made a complete mess of a kata. When asked – by my sensei – why this had happened, I replied: ‘Too much mind!’

In short, instead of focusing solely on the kata itself, I allowed my mind to focus on other things (related to my job as an HR Manager). I was – so to speak – multi-tasking. For me, multi-tasking was – and is – the practice of doing more than one thing at a time…..equally badly.

The school of Rinzai Zen had a fascination for me, and I was fairly well informed. I was well aware of the Zen concept of ‘mushin no shin’ (‘mind without mind’).

Unfortunately, a teenage niece of mine also took an interest in the subject. She (Laura) asked to borrow my books. I agreed. It took a while for me to realise that lending books to Laura meant that I would never see them again.

But I digress, as the bride said, on quitting the marriage bed in order to bake a cake.

The concept of meditating ‘without mind’ is, perhaps, best captured in a story from the life of St. John Vianney:

It is reported that an unnamed peasant from the town of Ars (St. John was, of course, its Curé) who – when asked how he spent his time before the tabernacle – replied: ‘I look at him, and he looks at me!’ (Catechism of the Catholic Church 2715).

St. Therese of Lisieux is reported as saying: ‘For me, prayer is a surge of the heart; it is a simple look turned toward heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy.’ (Ibid. 2558).

As you know, Christianity (and Islam) place great emphasis on developing a close and loving relationship with the Beloved. In Islam, for example, those who are deemed to be close to Him are known as ‘awliya Allāh’ (‘Friends of Allāh’).

It this context, ‘emptying the mind’ means that we should free ourselves from distractions, and focus on what is essential – namely, on nurturing a love affair with the One who is the source of all love.

Blessings.

Y
Greetings, Sister.

About fifty years ago I worked for a Japanese manufacturing Company, and decided to learn iaidō (a form of swordsmanship). On one occasion, I made a complete mess of a kata. When asked – by my sensei – why this had happened, I replied: ‘Too much mind!’

In short, instead of focusing solely on the kata itself, I allowed my mind to focus on other things (related to my job as an HR Manager). I was – so to speak – multi-tasking. For me, multi-tasking was – and is – the practice of doing more than one thing at a time…..equally badly.

The school of Rinzai Zen had a fascination for me, and I was fairly well informed. I was well aware of the Zen concept of ‘mushin no shin’ (‘mind without mind’).

Unfortunately, a teenage niece of mine also took an interest in the subject. She (Laura) asked to borrow my books. I agreed. It took a while for me to realise that lending books to Laura meant that I would never see them again.

But I digress, as the bride said, on quitting the marriage bed in order to bake a cake.

The concept of meditating ‘without mind’ is, perhaps, best captured in a story from the life of St. John Vianney:

It is reported that an unnamed peasant from the town of Ars (St. John was, of course, its Curé) who – when asked how he spent his time before the tabernacle – replied: ‘I look at him, and he looks at me!’ (Catechism of the Catholic Church 2715).

St. Therese of Lisieux is reported as saying: ‘For me, prayer is a surge of the heart; it is a simple look turned toward heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy.’ (Ibid. 2558).

As you know, Christianity (and Islam) place great emphasis on developing a close and loving relationship with the Beloved. In Islam, for example, those who are deemed to be close to Him are known as ‘awliya Allāh’ (‘Friends of Allāh’).

It this context, ‘emptying the mind’ means that we should free ourselves from distractions, and focus on what is essential – namely, on nurturing a love affair with the One who is the source of all love.

Blessings.
You are a very interesting person! I love how you write and how you express your thoughts. Welcome to I/O.

My spiritual home is the Catholic Church, but my journey has been one of conflict. A few years ago, I attended a three day conference for Churches Together in England, there were people from around twenty denominations. Cardinal Cormac Murphy O'Conner; the head of the Catholic church in England was the keynote speaker.

He paused at the end of his speech, and I stood up and said, I am a Catholic, I can feel the presence of Christ amongst all these people, and I have a need to share communion with everyone in a shared service here tomorrow. Then I sat down. The cardinal's response was silence, there was nothing he could say in front of everyone in the room.

The moment I sat down, was the moment I realised I had forgotten to say the most important thing. I waited for another pause in the conversation, and stood up again. Baroness Cox, the chair for Churches Together told me to sit down, you have already spoken. I continued to speak, and someone handed me a microphone. I repeated that I had a need to share communion with everyone, and I asked the Cardinal and everyone else to forgive me, if I have caused offense. I sat down, and the cardinal was silent once more. Afterwards, many people came and thanked me for speaking out, but what I said still troubled a few people.

I knew I was asking for the impossible, but if we wanted to be churches working together, why are there still barriers? The one thing above everything else that should unite us is, communion with our Lord and with each other. Sadly, it is still one mountain too high to climb.

I am still passionate about being a Catholic, I still have a need to be as 'One' with other Christians, and with people of other faiths.

This was actually what I was thinking of when I was typing my reply! I love this story.

I knew I was asking for the impossible, but if we wanted to be churches working together, why are there still barriers? The one thing above everything else that should unite us is, communion with our Lord and with each other. Sadly, it is still one mountain too high to climb.

I think the big issue is theological barriers. Catholics and other Christians don't believe the same thing about the Eucharist. Communion in a non-Catholic Church wouldn't be valid for a Catholic. Transubstantiation is key here. Why would a Baptist want to receive the Catholic Eucharist if they don't believe its really the Blood and Body? And why would a Catholic want to participate in Baptist communion, if to Baptists it is only grape juice and a wafer, used symbolically? I admire your reasoning though.

My spiritual home is the Catholic Church, but my journey has been one of conflict. A few years ago, I attended a three day conference for Churches Together in England, there were people from around twenty denominations. Cardinal Cormac Murphy O'Conner; the head of the Catholic church in England was the keynote speaker.

He paused at the end of his speech, and I stood up and said, I am a Catholic, I can feel the presence of Christ amongst all these people, and I have a need to share communion with everyone in a shared service here tomorrow. Then I sat down. The cardinal's response was silence, there was nothing he could say in front of everyone in the room.

The moment I sat down, was the moment I realised I had forgotten to say the most important thing. I waited for another pause in the conversation, and stood up again. Baroness Cox, the chair for Churches Together told me to sit down, you have already spoken. I continued to speak, and someone handed me a microphone. I repeated that I had a need to share communion with everyone, and I asked the Cardinal and everyone else to forgive me, if I have caused offense. I sat down, and the cardinal was silent once more. Afterwards, many people came and thanked me for speaking out, but what I said still troubled a few people.

I am still passionate about being a Catholic, I still have a need to be as 'One' with other Christians, and with people of other faiths.
Why were some people troubled by what you said?

Greetings, Sister.

Do you still practice iaidō today?

@Niblo

About fifty years ago I worked for a Japanese manufacturing Company, and decided to learn iaidō (a form of swordsmanship). On one occasion, I made a complete mess of a kata. When asked – by my sensei – why this had happened, I replied: ‘Too much mind!

Hmm similar/opposite happened to me.
About 2 years 4 months 1day and 21hrs ago (approximately) :cool:, it was a cloudy yet warm day, I was happily walking in the countryside. As I was waiting to cross a road, the sun came out of the clouds, and for just an itsy bitsy moment I forgot everything in appreciation of the sun. I stepped forward straight into a car.
I would call this too little mind. (My broken bones have since healed).

Oh
@Niblo

About fifty years ago I worked for a Japanese manufacturing Company, and decided to learn iaidō (a form of swordsmanship). On one occasion, I made a complete mess of a kata. When asked – by my sensei – why this had happened, I replied: ‘Too much mind!

About 2 years 4 months 1day and 21hrs ago (approximately) :cool:, it was a cloudy yet warm day, I was happily walking in the countryside. As I was waiting to cross a road, the sun came out of the clouds, and for just an itsy bitsy moment I forgot everything in appreciation of the sun. I stepped forward straight into a car.
I would call this too little mind. (My broken bones have since healed.

@Niblo

I would call this too little mind. (My broken bones have since healed).
Oh dear. Glad to hear you're now ok.

My 'like' is because you survived.

Blessings.

An iaidoka! I practiced Muso Shinden Ryu iaido, jodo, etc. for a few years ...
Whoooops....Senior Moment......It wasn't around fifty years ago when I started iaido (Post 196)......it was around 38! Now you know why I don't practice anymore!!! :eek:

My story

I started thinking about the big questions as; who am I? What is life? Why are we here? at a pretty young age, perhaps already when I was about ten years old. It developed into a meditation of spiritual development during my teenage years. When I was 13 our protestant priets came to visit our school in order to see who wanted to have communion. I decided to take part and saw it as a teaching in religion mostly. After the communion, I became Christian for some time, maybe half a year, before I realised that this religion couldn't answer all of my questions.

At the same time my interest in sports developed, I joined a karateclub and got inspired by the religions in japan and in the east. I decided to become a daoist after some reading. I remeber wearing a yin-yang necklace, cut my hair short and made all kind of changes tomy life at that time. After a while my sensei started talking to me about the spiritual, perhaps he saw my necklace and understood that I was interested in the spiritual. We talked about pressurepoints, meridians, I got a degree in kyushu jitsu and we delwed deep into TCM and acupuncture, healing. My sensei at the time was also a esoteric man, he borrowed me a CD with some books on them. Henry T Laurency, Alice Bailey mostly. I read and I read. It was a very interesteing and a bit uncomprehensible world for a 15 year old. I became a nerd even though I soon started to loose interest and stopped reading after figuring out the whole new age scene was not my cup of tea.

Then love, friendship, school and science happend to me, so I need to fast forward into the furture. I Think I need to start again 2016. After a loooot of education that almost made my spiritual intuition go into torpor I started slowly to get interested in the esoteric sphere again. I delwed into theosophy and contected the adyar theosophical society, but shyed away from that out of a feeling of not really fitting in/beingunable to attend their meetings from where Iived. So instead I started to get an interest for buddhism. I had heard of an old theravada temple, not far from where I lived. I went there one day with a friend, it was alovely day and they had a celebration, lots of people, good food and such a peaceful tranquillity. I decided to go back there again and so I did. I knew that they meditated every morning and evening, so one morning at si o'clock I showed up in front of their door tried to communicate to the lay fellow at the door who didn't speak my language that I had come for the mediattion. After a while he understood and led me into the temple hall. It was the beginning of my three year long mediation journey. I started mediating at the temple for at least two years three evenings or mornings a week. During this period I also delwed deep into the theravadan tradition who still is close to my heart.

After a while covid hit and we could not meditate as often as before. I started to loose interest in the theravadan tradition and started to get interested in theosophy again. I found an organisation called Nexus theosophy ( today universaltheosophy.com) I had a rough start at my journey there. I got ill from exhaustion due to work and at the same time had a mental collaps with PTSD like symptoms and the realisation that I had autism spectrum disorder. Sometimes I wonder if it was because of all of that meditation that I just suddenly ended, or if it was due to work? I still dont know. But I was on sick leave for about a year after that and the theosophical brotherhood of ULT stood by my side during all my hardships. I feel much better now after theraphy and medication. And I still am a faithful theosophist but I don't meditate much anymore.

Lately I also been active in the odd fellows and also tried to find explanations to the feeling of sadness and restlessness that I sometimes feel. I therefore have been delwing into documentaries about mind control, the mediaindustry found out a lot about the world that I didn't know, how easily fooled we really are and how much evil magic there really is out there.

Well well.. that's about it.. Feel free to ask me anything if there is something on your mind

Best Wishes

Hermes

Thank you for sharing your journey, its quite interesting and I found it very relatable in a lot of ways.

universaltheosophy.com

I'll have to check their website out :)

the realisation that I had autism spectrum disorder.

Its always nice to meet another neurodivergent person! I have a neurodevelopmental disorder called NVLD, its very similar to autism.

I wasn't raised in any formal religion. I grew up with mixed messages about religious belief. I lived with my mom and her parents. My Mom really disliked organized religion. She had read up on religion some and concluded it was all just stories. Her inclinations was towards New Age. She used to say she believed in reincarnation and had some interest in paranormal things.

Hi TLW,

It sounds like you may be open to ideas like karma and reincarnation. What do you think of the idea of karma?

Back